PDA

View Full Version : Great interview with Roger!

tistrapukcipeht
05-28-2012, 01:29 PM
If anybody hasn't seen it, here it is.

From the man himself He says he is a better player nowadays than he was in 2006.

No way anybody can even argue that Federer isn't better now than HE was in the past, He said it himself a few times now.

http://www.tennischannel.com/

The Bawss
05-28-2012, 01:45 PM
The man has an aura to maintain. He has peaked ages ago. Anyway, how many players are better at 30/31 than when they were 24/25/26?

Bobby Jr
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
He does play better in some ways - tactically for a start. And his second serves are better.

But, as many will no doubt chime in to scream, he doesn't hit as many GOAT winners as he used to no doubt because he's past his peak but also in-part because conditions and opponents have both changed making them harder to hit as easily.

forzamilan90
05-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Well what's he going to say, I am old now so come get me cause I am more vulnerable? He may be more matured and learned a lot of tricks since the past, but athletically he's past his prime (footwork and the forehand aren't as good as several years ago).

Bobby Jr
05-28-2012, 01:50 PM
The man has an aura to maintain. He has peaked ages ago. Anyway, how many players are better at 30/31 than when they were 24/25/26?
Agassi for a start.

Andres Gomez saved his best till after he was 30 also... (not that most will remember him)

The Bawss
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Agassi for a start.

Andres Gomez saved his best till after he was 30 also... (not that most will remember him)

Agassi did crystal meth and hated tennis in his younger years, not to mention Pete owned his *** so he couldn't pick up any titles thus making his tennis look poor compared to when Pete was gone.

kragster
05-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Most people get better with age. Roger's peak is yet to come. Just wait till his 50s and he will bagel players left and right.

On a more serious note, Fed's level is definitely not at his peak as some haters would like to believe and neither is it 1/10th the level of his peak as some people who glorify Jesus Fed would like to believe. It's somewhere in the middle. He's probably declined both physically and from a consistency perspective but he's become more match wise.

At the end of the day does it really matter though what he thinks his level is. You don't get bonus points for winning tournaments based on what age or stage of your career you are.

Rhino
05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Cool interview, thanks for sharing.

tennis_pro
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I cringe every time I hear "what's your biggest achievement?"

If I had the same question asked over and over again I'd answer "the fact that I can put myself together and not punch you in the face each time you ask"

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Interview gist:

Basically Roger said that today's tennis is due to the string technology. Take away the high rpm strings and Nadal would only ever win FO and Djokovic would win nothing.

gold soundz
05-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I honestly think he was a better player overall back in the day, but what he's probably referring to is that he's tactically better (as another poster said), and that seems true. Before, he could just outplay anyone with his normal game. Now he kind of mixes it up and comes to the net more. And maybe he's under the illusion that that makes him a better player overall now. I still think overall he was better in 06.

Hood_Man
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
He's bound to be more skilled than he used to be, his best seasons were 6-7 years ago, he's certainly adapted a lot since then.

Hence why he still does so amazingly well, but occasionally gets blown off the court.

The Bawss
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
He's bound to be more skilled than he used to be, his best seasons were 6-7 years ago, he's certainly adapted a lot since then.

Hence why he still does so amazingly well, but occasionally gets blown off the court.

"Blown off the court" is hardly how I would put it as that hasn't happened for almost 2 years now.

Hood_Man
05-28-2012, 04:08 PM
"Blown off the court" is hardly how I would put it as that hasn't happened for almost 2 years now.

He was beaten pretty handily a few times last year by Novak, Nadal, Tsonga and Berdych, and this years Rome semi could have been over much sooner had Novak served it out at 5-4.

LarougeNY
05-28-2012, 07:22 PM
He was beaten pretty handily a few times last year by Novak, Nadal, Tsonga and Berdych, and this years Rome semi could have been over much sooner had Novak served it out at 5-4.

Tsonga at the french? He had that match won, major blunders in his mental game. I'd hardly call it being beaten handily.

He also had some great victories, over Novak at the french for example. I was at the Fed-Nadal match in london, and I don't know what was up in that mach, but Roger blew him off the court. And its not like nadal didn't care for that match, every one of those is worth what 200K and a lot of points?

Berdych doesn't handle him handily either. I'd say only Nadal does on clay, and the djoker off and on, otherwise he's not beaten all too "handily"

Sid_Vicious
05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Did Roger say he is from a small village in SUI? I thought he was from Basel?

purge
05-28-2012, 09:49 PM
whats new? fed will say what he has to say. dimwits wont understand what it means

Magnus
05-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Poor Roger is in denial.

Fate Archer
05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Disregarding whether he's better now or not, I found it amazing how he specifically says that he played a different kind of tennis in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, and from then on it was "born" a new Roger Federer.

I probably have mentioned this before but it's exactly how I see it when watching clips or matches from Fed on those different years. Same player but different shot selection, returning and playing patterns, some technical differences on strokes and apparently even different physical capabilities since then.

From 2007 on he settled in the kind of game and playing style he has been playing ever since.

Sid_Vicious
05-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Disregarding whether he's better now or not, I found it amazing how he specifically says that he played a different kind of tennis in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, and from then on it was "born" a new Roger Federer.

I probably have mentioned this before but it's exactly how I see it when watching clips or matches from Fed on those different years. Same player but different shot selection, returning and playing patterns, some technical differences on strokes and apparently even different physical capabilities since then.

From 2007 on he settled in the kind of game and playing style he has been playing ever since.

This could be just the way I see it as a Federer fan, but I have not seen Roger make athletic plays like this one for a long time. Roger used find the tiniest spaces imaginable to run around the backhand and crush forehands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B-TZeGkEQWc#t=714s

Hood_Man
05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Tsonga at the french? He had that match won, major blunders in his mental game. I'd hardly call it being beaten handily.

He also had some great victories, over Novak at the french for example. I was at the Fed-Nadal match in london, and I don't know what was up in that mach, but Roger blew him off the court. And its not like nadal didn't care for that match, every one of those is worth what 200K and a lot of points?

Berdych doesn't handle him handily either. I'd say only Nadal does on clay, and the djoker off and on, otherwise he's not beaten all too "handily"

Tsonga at Montreal. Competitive first two sets, and then Tsonga races to a 5-0 lead in the decider. He also only had one break point at Wimbledon on Tsonga's serve the whole match.

Then Berdych at Cincinnati, again not creating a single break chance to Berdych's two.

I don't get how pointing out Roger's wins means he didn't get beaten soundly the other times :? I didn't say Federer didn't beat them.

bluegrasser
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I think ' King Fed" is better, the problem is, the competition is quite a bit better now IMO.

Sid_Vicious
05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
I think ' King Fed" is better, the problem is, the competition is quite a bit better now IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KIzbktgJk

Fate Archer
05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
This could be just the way I see it as a Federer fan, but I have not seen Roger make athletic plays like this one for a long time. Roger used find the tiniest spaces imaginable to run around the backhand and crush forehands.

Absolutely, much more explosive footwork. He was much more flexible back then as well, you can see how much he was arching his back on serves. His back today wouldn't hold with that kind of stress, considering he's been more picky with his schedule as of late and withdrew for the second time in his career early this year because of a back injury.

IMO, 2005 was pretty close, if not the epicenter of Federer's biological prime, that is, when he was doing the most ridiculous physical, explosive, athletic stuff. Footwork was as good as ever and his racquet head speed was noticeably faster to me.

Fed might have adjusted to the shot selection of this generation and has been forced to play more smartly now, but to counter point that, he was playing with the power of his youth back then.

tistrapukcipeht
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
After reading these many comments, I'm sure some of you know more than Federer knows about himself, let alone tennis.

sureshs
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
If anybody hasn't seen it, here it is.

From the man himself He says he is a better player nowadays than he was in 2006.

No way anybody can even argue that Federer isn't better now than HE was in the past, He said it himself a few times now.

http://www.tennischannel.com/

That is why it is very crucial to account for his performance against Nadal and Djokovic in any GOAT discussion.

billnepill
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, an era with Players like Mahut is very tough even if Federer is at his peak

zagor
06-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, an era with Players like Mahut is very tough even if Federer is at his peak

You gotta ask yourself, how many R16 (let alone finals) would have Fed reached at the FO if he had to face CC juggernauts like Mahut and Ungur in early rounds during 2004-2007?

BreakPoint
06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh, come on! Federer wants to still put fear in his opponents when they step out onto the court. He's a smart man. He's not going to broadcast to the world and to his opponents that he doesn't think he's as good as he used to be. The worst thing a player can do is to give his opponents more confidence.

Povl Carstensen
06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
How many players would say I am a worse player now than 5 years ago? Besides, the way he is holding up he might very well be better in some aspects.
Personally i believe he lowered his string tension at one point, lowering the control in his racket a bit and therefore his required racket head speed. I love when the old explosive, light, extremely quick Federer is at hand. As it was in Madrid at some matches I watched (but not really against Djokovic).

Swissv2
06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
That was such a leading question, the interviewer saying "do you play better now than before". It was a pretty good interview with insights to his family life, and then some.

10is
06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Most people get better with age. Roger's peak is yet to come. Just wait till his 50s and he will bagel players left and right.

On a more serious note, Fed's level is definitely not at his peak as some haters would like to believe and neither is it 1/10th the level of his peak as some people who glorify Jesus Fed would like to believe. It's somewhere in the middle. He's probably declined both physically and from a consistency perspective but he's become more match wise.

At the end of the day does it really matter though what he thinks his level is. You don't get bonus points for winning tournaments based on what age or stage of your career you are.

Exactly! Some buffoons will still go to great lengths in arguing otherwise though countervening the basic tenets of physiology and aging.

Cesc Fabregas
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh, come on! Federer wants to still put fear in his opponents when they step out onto the court. He's a smart man. He's not going to broadcast to the world and to his opponents that he doesn't think he's as good as he used to be. The worst thing a player can do is to give his opponents more confidence.

Federer is a more talented player now than his so called prime. His backhand is better, his serve is better, he's incorporated the drop shot into his game and he's smarter up at the net.

sureshs
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Rafa also commented on how Fed's BH is better now, and how he makes fewer UEs. Fed says his BH and shoulder strength are better now. Everything points to the fact that Fed is playing the best he can, but the notion of best has moved up a notch due to Nadal and Djokovic.

Cesc Fabregas
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Rafa also commented on how Fed's BH is better now, and how he makes fewer UEs. Fed says his BH and shoulder strength are better now. Everything points to the fact that Fed is playing the best he can, but the notion of best has moved up a notch due to Nadal and Djokovic.

Agreed. Look at the last 3 meetings with Nadal, Federer's cross court backhand has improved immensely. He hit well against Djoker at the French Open and US Open last year aswell.

10is
06-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Exactly, he used to be able to hit the lines for winners from any position, even from a seemingly disadvantageous/impossible one; this what made him such a phenomenon from 2003-2006 -- his ability to transition from defense to offense in the blink of an eye.

One has to be "blind" or obtuse to not notice the substantial difference in the quality of his movement, flexibility and stroke penetration from his prime. He can rarely (if ever) pull off the cross court running forehand/backhand winners from defensive position anymore -- an attribute directly related to the loss of half-a-step to a step of movement.

10is
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Absolutely, much more explosive footwork. He was much more flexible back then as well, you can see how much he was arching his back on serves. His back today wouldn't hold with that kind of stress, considering he's been more picky with his schedule as of late and withdrew for the second time in his career early this year because of a back injury.

IMO, 2005 was pretty close, if not the epicenter of Federer's biological prime, that is, when he was doing the most ridiculous physical, explosive, athletic stuff. Footwork was as good as ever and his racquet head speed was noticeably faster to me.

Love your post! Says everything that needs to be said! There is clear empirical evidence to support this.

His back has noticably hindered his game -- you'll notice the utter lack of kick serves over the past couple of years -- something which used to be a mainstay of his reportoire in his prime.

IvanisevicServe
06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
So Federer at his very best would be a 0-time GS champion if Nadal and Djokovic were both in their primes?

Because, he hasn't won a slam since the 2010 AO, and it's a long shot he's going to win another one before he retires.

10is
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Yep... I have never heard an athlete state otherwise as long as they were still in contention for top honors in their field even if they were performing below par relative to their prime years.

BreakPoint
06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Federer is a more talented player now than his so called prime. His backhand is better, his serve is better, he's incorporated the drop shot into his game and he's smarter up at the net.
That's impossible. By definition, talent is something you're born with. So it's impossible to become more or less talented as you age.