PDA

View Full Version : Baker-From TVOC to the French

chatt_town
05-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I was really happy to see this guy just play in the French today. To see him actually win a match was great. My son and I got to see him play last year about this same time at the TVOC(here in Chattanooga). He was down to earth and actually had small conversation with my son and I between matches. He won the singles here the last two years and he also won the doubles tourney with Robby Poole. I don't know how much longer he has in this tourney or this run back he's making, but I'm glad to see that his work ethic has gotten him over his problems that he's had. I wish him nothing but the best. He handled himself very well when he was here and was very easy to talk to.

Bud
05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I was really happy to see this guy just play in the French today. To see him actually win a match was great. My son and I got to see him play last year about this same time at the TVOC(here in Chattanooga). He was down to earth and actually had small conversation with my son and I between matches. He won the singles here the last two years and he also won the doubles tourney with Robby Poole. I don't know how much longer he has in this tourney or this run back he's making, but I'm glad to see that his work ethic has gotten him over his problems that he's had. I wish him nothing but the best. He handled himself very well when he was here and was very easy to talk to.

I hope he supplants Young and Harrison within the next 6 weeks and earns his way into the Olympics :)

If he goes a few rounds here, does well in a warmup grass court tourney and then wins a few rounds at Wimby, it's possible.

He needs to pick up about 450 points within the next 6 weeks

Leelord337
05-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Bryan Baker has a good ora and seems like a really cool guy. Modest attitude with a Huge Game. Love his backhand down the line.

Bud
05-28-2012, 11:37 PM
How is Baker on grass, BTW?

vive le beau jeu !
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
there an article about him on the RG website:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/news/articles/2012-05-29/201205291338299208940.html
(it's in french but they will probably translate it soon ?)

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_05-29-Portrait-Becker.jpg

r2473
05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Bryan Baker has a good ora

Best ora on tour

jdubbs
05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I hope he supplants Young and Harrison within the next 6 weeks and earns his way into the Olympics :)

If he goes a few rounds here, does well in a warmup grass court tourney and then wins a few rounds at Wimby, it's possible.

He needs to pick up about 450 points within the next 6 weeks

Does ANYBODY at this point think Young could beat Baker?

Bud
05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

I don't think Young would stand a chance against Baker. However, Young is currently the 4th American qualified for the Olympics ;)

At this point, Baker is about 400 points away from being the 4th American.

rainingaces
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
I think this is match that has 5 sets written all over it. I sae simon, harrison match and the level was poor from both, expect more from simon or he will be a goner tomorrow.

Emet74
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't think Young would stand a chance against Baker. However, Young is currently the 4th American qualified for the Olympics ;)

At this point, Baker is about 400 points away from being the 4th American.

I believe that Olympic qualification is based on the rankings that come out after the FO - at least that's what the comms were saying.

So Baker only has this tournament to make his move.

Rock Strongo
05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
there an article about him on the RG website:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/news/articles/2012-05-29/201205291338299208940.html
(it's in french but they will probably translate it soon ?)

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_05-29-Portrait-Becker.jpg

He looks kind of like a cross between retired high-jumper Stefan Holm and a chef that worked on a place where I took an internship in that picture...

Bud
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I believe that Olympic qualification is based on the rankings that come out after the FO - at least that's what the comms were saying.

So Baker only has this tournament to make his move.

If that's true, he's got to make the SF :) ... which is highly unlikely.

How is Baker on grass, BTW?

moshi2
05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Can anybody tell me a bit about Baker?

I know he has the comeback of the year so far after 6 yrs off for surgeries. Was he that good before? Was he one of the young guns back then? It seems there are a lot of hype about his comeback lately.

MLB_MOB
05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Can anybody tell me a bit about Baker?

I know he has the comeback of the year so far after 6 yrs off for surgeries. Was he that good before? Was he one of the young guns back then? It seems there are a lot of hype about his comeback lately.

Bryan Baker was originally known as the "second coming of Roddick" back when Roddick just won the US open and people believed the Roddick-Federer rivalry was not going to be a one sided beat down. He was very talented and many believed he was going to be an amazing player. However after the surgeries and a few years on tour without a mental breakthrough he had to call it quits, until last year. And you know the rest

Gonzalito17
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=moshi2;6576412]Can anybody tell me a bit about Baker?

Found this QA with Baker

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/brian-baker-biofile/

Tennis Heroes: “I think all the young Americans, I grew up idolizing Pete and Andre, for how they dominated the sport for so long.”

Hobbies/Interests: “Let’s see…Golf. I’m a sports oriented person. I like going out to movies. I like hanging out with friends. I like occasional video games [smiles].”

Nicknames: “Pretty much the only one is Bakes.”

Favorite Movies: “I liked Happy Gilmore, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

Musical Tastes: “I’m an alternative rock guy, Chili Peppers, Blink 182.”

First Job: “Teaching tennis clinics at the local club, Hillwood Country Club in Nashville, when I was 14.”

First Car: “A 1984 Mercedes 190 E (blue).”

Early Tennis Memory: “First match stood out. I was six. First actual tournament match. City open or city closed. I was victorious. 61 61 [laughs]. I think it was 10 and under.”

Funny Tennis Memory: “Let’s think about it…I’d say falling on my face in Belgium. Going for a drop shot where my shoe came off. Skinned up pretty good. And I got clay all over myself. I came out of my shoe and sort of pretty awkward, non athletic looking fall. Face first dive. First time on red clay [laughs]. 2000 or 2001. (Win?) I won 6 in the third.”

Pre-Match Feeling: “Try to get into a quiet spot, about ten or fifteen minutes before the match. And just think about, just go over my gameplan. Think about what I want to accomplish going out there. Not necessarily winning or losing. Obviously you want to win. But just doing the things that you could control.”

Greatest Sports Moment: “I’d probably say, to date, it’s winning the Orange Bowl in December (2002). It’s probably my first really big win. I had some other big wins but I felt like I played really well at the end, when I came through. I didn’t play great the first week. Just got through some tough matches. And just played well in the final, 76 62 (vs. Montcourt from France).”

Most Painful Moment: “There’s a lot of them [laughs]. I’d say the most recent ones, probably the French Open final. Lost in the finals of French Open juniors. Three sets. And I thought I had some chances and didn’t take advantage of them (vs. Wawrinka of Switzerland).”

Closest Tennis Friends: “Rajeev Ram, Jonathan Stark, Phil Simmonds, to name a few.”

Funniest Players Encountered: “Phil’s pretty funny. Trying to think on this level…I haven’t been around too much. I don’t know too many funny people…Mardy Fish. The locker room jokester. I remember in Croatia – Patrick invited me to be a hitting partner for Davis Cup – he was the only guy doing all the practical pranks and all that stuff, pulling people’s pants down when they’re not looking. He has a good sense of humor, funny guy.”

Toughest Competitors: “I think Andre is a pretty good competitor. Hewitt. Those are definitely the top two guys who aren’t going to give you anything. Gonna fight to the last point.”

Favorite Athletes To Watch: “Still Andre. Roddick coming up. Golf I’ll have to go with everyone else and say Tiger [smiles]. I’m jumping on the bandwagon. The Cardinals in baseball. I used to love Big Mac. It’s tough to see him retire. I’m still a Cardinals fan. Now Pujols is coming along, I like to watch him. (Any female athletes?) I’ll make it easy on myself, I’ll say Kournikova [laughs].”

People Qualities Most Admired: “I think honesty. Good personality. Just outgoing. Not afraid to be who you are.”

Last Halloween Costume: “Dracula when I was about 10.”

Gonzalito17
05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Hard not to root for a guy like Baker, he's humble and has paid his dues, is a great player, with a lot of time to make up for. Really hope he can shock the world. I actually think he can and will.

Herdsman76
05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
I have to say, I'm quickly becoming a fan. It would be very cool if he had an impressive run and actually qualified to represent the U.S. in the Olympics. But if he doesn't it's all good. For Baker to come back after all that, it's probably "gravy" whatever he does from now on...

moshi2
05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Bryan Baker was originally known as the "second coming of Roddick" back when Roddick just won the US open and people believed the Roddick-Federer rivalry was not going to be a one sided beat down. He was very talented and many believed he was going to be an amazing player. However after the surgeries and a few years on tour without a mental breakthrough he had to call it quits, until last year. And you know the rest

Thanks for the explanation. Too bad he had to take time off. Hopefully I can see him play soon to see all the hype :)

jokinla
05-29-2012, 09:48 PM

I don't even think Rob C believes it.

jamesblakefan#1
05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
He was on Wertheim's podcast a few weeks ago. Talked about his recovery and the numerous injuries he's had, and basically finally being healthy enough to play after 5 years or so.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/podcasts/tennis/index.html

donnygg
05-30-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm really rooting for him to do well in the future. If I were him, I would have been really sick of all the interviews by now, having to answer the same questions with the same answers.

Bud
05-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Baker is 3rd on Chatrier, after Federer.