PDA

View Full Version : Americans and temper

SStrikerR
05-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Lets start this off by saying I am American, and this is NOT a thread for bashing American tennis players, or Americans on a whole.

I've noticed that most American male professional players have trouble keeping their emotions in check. They seem to let things affect them faster than other players, and it usually results in their games going right down the tubes. Now don't get me wrong, other players do get frustrated, but they usually don't let it affect their play. Or, for guys like Ferrer, you would never know if he was getting annoyed at all. Roddick has always had his outbursts, Fish has them from time to time, Harrison implodes when even one thing doesn't go his way, and Donald Young lets things get in his head and just gives up. So my question is this: why does this happen? Is it the way coaches/family treat them at a young age? Or does it just so happen that most American players just happen to have temper issues?

jamesblakefan#1
05-29-2012, 05:49 AM
On the other hand you have guys like Querrey and Blake who at times look like they don't care enough out there, and Isner who's not known for showing negative emotions.

American players aren't any more emotional than any other players on tour not named Fed or Nadal. Even Murray and Djokovic are 'emotional' out there at times.

tusharlovesrafa
05-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Lets start this off by saying I am American, and this is NOT a thread for bashing American tennis players, or Americans on a whole.

I've noticed that most American male professional players have trouble keeping their emotions in check. They seem to let things affect them faster than other players, and it usually results in their games going right down the tubes. Now don't get me wrong, other players do get frustrated, but they usually don't let it affect their play. Or, for guys like Ferrer, you would never know if he was getting annoyed at all. Roddick has always had his outbursts, Fish has them from time to time, Harrison implodes when even one thing doesn't go his way, and Donald Young lets things get in his head and just gives up. So my question is this: why does this happen? Is it the way coaches/family treat them at a young age? Or does it just so happen that most American players just happen to have temper issues?

People generally living in the Third world countries are more depressed compared to the rest of the world.

JeMar
05-29-2012, 05:51 AM

Except when he's swatting tennis balls at crying babies.

Let's be real here... many professional players, not just Americans, have tempers that burst out from time to time. Murray's temper is pretty terrible. Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer are much better than most, but even they have tantrums from time to time. Look through the ATP Top 50 and it's hard to find more than 5 players that have not, at least a few times in their careers, appear angry or despondent on the court.

These guys have worked on their crafts for hundreds of thousands of hours and it's understandable that they grow upset when things aren't going their way. There are some guys, like Harrison, that still have some maturing to do, but I think it's more about being so young than it is about being American.

syke
05-29-2012, 05:54 AM
People generally living in the Third world countries are more depressed compared to the rest of the world.

So America is third world while India is first world? :???:

SStrikerR
05-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Like I said, I'm aware players from other nationalities do have outbursts. However, its never as consistent as it is with the Americans, and the emotions of other players never seem to completely ruin their game, as it does with the Americans. Other guys can keep themselves in check.

tusharlovesrafa
05-29-2012, 05:59 AM
So America is third world while India is first world? :???:

India is the 4rth world..

Russeljones
05-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Part of it has to do with them "knowing" they can do much better. This is especially true of Roddick who's been part of the men's elite for almost as long as anyone.

courtking
05-29-2012, 06:14 AM
I think it started in the juniors.. I saw many juniors screaming, pumping.. smashing the rackets for missing a forehand.. They are trained to pump up but they are not trained to keep their emotional in check..

brettsticker86
05-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Ill start off also by saying I'm an American. What I see in our tennis programs and juniors is players who are spoiled. They always get what they want and in tennis when it's not just handed to them, we are much more prone to acting like spoiled brats. It's a part of our culture. We think we are owed everything, I mean look at our president. It has to do with our society.

woodrow1029
05-29-2012, 06:23 AM
Except when he's swatting tennis balls at crying babies.

Or bashing the umpire for being a woman.

syke
05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Ill start off also by saying I'm an American. What I see in our tennis programs and juniors is players who are spoiled. They always get what they want and in tennis when it's not just handed to them, we are much more prone to acting like spoiled brats. It's a part of our culture. We think we are owed everything, I mean look at our president. It has to do with our society.

I guess they need to be sent to China for re-education.

elpolaco84
05-29-2012, 06:46 AM
you mean NORTH americans

JeMar
05-29-2012, 06:49 AM
you mean NORTH americans

Well, talking about South Americans and anger is not fair because we all know that steroids make you moody.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

I'm joking, though, I'm a big Nalby and Delpo fan.

sureshs
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Really? I see someone who has overcome generations of subjugation and risen to the top, and saved the middle class from being completely swindled by the friends of his predecessor. People like you are precisely the ones you yourself complain about - hate mongers who have been exploiting others who do hard work while at the same time abusing them for their laziness.

That aside, JMac of the glorious hard-working generation was the worst.

brettsticker86
05-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Really? I see someone who has overcome generations of subjugation and risen to the top, and saved the middle class from being completely swindled by the friends of his predecessor. People like you are precisely the ones you yourself complain about - hate mongers who have been exploiting others who do hard work while at the same time abusing them for their laziness.

That aside, JMac of the glorious hard-working generation was the worst.

You literally know nothing about me and you're already so sure of who I am. You, sir, are an idiot!

http://www.couponaholic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/congratulations1.gif

jdubbs
05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
The angriest player of the past few years was definitely Dani "the terrible" Kollerer.

I saw Novak smash his racquet hard a couple of times in Rome.

We're no better or worse than most; I think it's because the tiny tantrums are in English that you notice it. Most of the other players curse in other languages.

And Fish and now Baker are remarkably even tempered.

Cindysphinx
05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't think Ryan Harrison has earned the right to be having tantrums.

I am starting to dislike him. I wish he had been defaulted for his most recent racket throw. It might have taught him a lesson.

sureshs
05-29-2012, 08:58 AM
You literally know nothing about me and you're already so sure of who I am. You, sir, are an idiot!

http://www.couponaholic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/congratulations1.gif

The mind-set of people like you are obvious from a great distance. Everything to know about you is pretty obvious from your choice of words and dragging in of irrelevant people to justify your hate. I can read people like you like a book - people worried that everyone else has an equal opportunity these days and longing for the glorious past where "hard-work" (i.e., by others) was rewarded.

sillymonkey
05-29-2012, 09:05 AM

You do mean our former president, right?

heftylefty
05-29-2012, 09:20 AM

What does the US President has to do with spoiled tennis players? US society has produce the like of Ashe, Smith & Evert. They are the defination of class and control.

r2473
05-29-2012, 09:30 AM
American's in the top 100 now include:

10 Fish, Mardy (USA)
11 Isner, John (USA)
30 Roddick, Andy (USA)
51 Young, Donald (USA)
56 Harrison, Ryan (USA)
71 Querrey, Sam (USA)
96 Blake, James (USA)

So this must be a rant against Harrison mainly but Roddick as well? Probably a little Donald Young hate tossed in there (why not).

Or are Querrey and Isner a little to hot tempered for your liking?

Maybe we should just toss corpses out there?

WARPWOODIE
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
In the era of McEnroe/Connors, there was no hawkeye (or it was just in its infancy), so there were valid reasons to dispute calls with line judges and the referees. But with the technolgical advances now, I just don't know why players still throw fits. I think part of it is just theatrics.

r2473
05-29-2012, 09:39 AM
In the era of McEnroe/Connors, there was no hawkeye (or it was just in its infancy), so there were valid reasons to dispute calls with line judges and the referees. But with the technolgical advances now, I just don't know why players still throw fits. I think part of it is just theatrics.

Do you play tennis (or any other sport)?

Ever gotten emotional / angry?

Well, quit the theatrics kid.

TTMR
05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
It's not about having a temper. Every player is going to become frustrated at times. When that anger is directed inwards, it disciplines oneself and builds character. When Djokovic, Safin, Gonzalez and some others get angry, for instance, it is always directed at themselves. On the other hand, American players focus their anger outwardly. It is always someone else that is to blame for their poor play or their loss, typically the officials. Roddick, Fish, and the Queen of Entitlement, Serena are the most odious examples of the latter.

Borrelli
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

He must be inferring that our president is not American. Watching too much Fox news propaganda will do that to oneself. Critical thinking is lacking in most people these days.

Clay lover
05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't know about temper. But some Americans are very vocal on court and act like spoiled brats.

dominikk1985
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
tommy is still the goat of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQ2NhteF44

TTMR
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
He must be inferring that our president is not American. Watching too much Fox news propaganda will do that to oneself. Critical thinking is lacking in most people these days.

Indeed. Critical thinking exists only in those who believe politicians and government are there to serve you and make the world a better place, particularly if they are a member of the same political party you are.

sureshs
05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Indeed. Critical thinking exists only in those who believe politicians and government are there to serve you and make the world a better place, particularly if they are a member of the same political party you are.

But it is better than no thinking and hate thinking, which is what Fox "News" cutivates.

There is a real choice, and all politicians are not "the same." That opinion is for weak people who want to curry favor with everyone around them and shows real lack of thinking.

r2473
05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
It's not about having a temper. Every player is going to become frustrated at times. When that anger is directed inwards, it disciplines oneself and builds character. When Djokovic, Safin, Gonzalez and some others get angry, for instance, it is always directed at themselves. On the other hand, American players focus their anger outwardly. It is always someone else that is to blame for their poor play or their loss, typically the officials. Roddick, Fish, and the Queen of Entitlement, Serena are the most odious examples of the latter.

Let me get this straight. Safin directed his anger at himself and was just building strong character?

Wasn't he often called a "mental midget"?

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Anger directed inwards leads to chronic physical pathologies.

Bhagi Katbamna
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Anyone who disparages Americans in general because of behavior by a few people is just not thinking clearly. The worst behavior I've ever seen is by Kollerer. He isn't an american. Neither was Ille Nastase who also was one of the worst. I haven't seen any american players bang their racket on their head until it drew blood either. I don't see any Americans starting threads disparaging Austrian culture, Russian culture, or Romanian culture just because of a few bad people.

rommil
05-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Ill start off also by saying I'm an American. What I see in our tennis programs and juniors is players who are spoiled. They always get what they want and in tennis when it's not just handed to them, we are much more prone to acting like spoiled brats. It's a part of our culture.

I agree. It's how a certain culture treats celebrities and a personality that gets spoiled by it.

TTMR
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
But it is better than no thinking and hate thinking, which is what Fox "News" cutivates.

There is a real choice, and all politicians are not "the same." That opinion is for weak people who want to curry favor with everyone around them and shows real lack of thinking.

Actually, skeptical people tend not to curry favour with anyone as people would rather believe their leaders are public servants out to "further the common good", despite tremendous financial and economic incentive to the contrary.

sureshs
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Anger directed inwards leads to chronic physical pathologies.

That is why I prefer to be angry at others :-) Why get angry with yourself? That will not make you change, and will only add to the anger which other people are already piling on you. Only when others get angry at you that you will change. And vice versa. So just be angry at others. They deserve it for not being as good as you :-)

TTMR
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Let me get this straight. Safin directed his anger at himself and was just building strong character?

Wasn't he often called a "mental midget"?

Maybe, maybe not. But anger at the self is in a fundamentally different moral category than unwarranted and misdirected blame towards others.

TMF
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
On the other hand you have guys like Querrey and Blake who at times look like they don't care enough out there, and Isner who's not known for showing negative emotions.

American players aren't any more emotional than any other players on tour not named Fed or Nadal. Even Murray and Djokovic are 'emotional' out there at times.

Blake was out of control during Wimbledon by yelling at Shriver. He was losing the match and the fustration got worse, so he take out his anger by blasting Shriver.

"Itís amazing you played tennis I can still hear you.. You wanna be an *** about it, and act like Iím at fault?"

at 4:25
http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/tag/james-blake/

WARPWOODIE
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Do you play tennis (or any other sport)?

Ever gotten emotional / angry?

Well, quit the theatrics kid.

1) Yes, 4.5 player.
2) I know how to redirect my emotions/anger
3) You seem pretty good at it yourself.

TMF
05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
On the women side there's Serena Williams, you don't want to mess with her whether if you are a player, umpire or an asian linewomen.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I play tennis. I never get angry because I'm not a pusssy.

krz
05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
They always get what they want and in tennis when it's not just handed to them, we are much more prone to acting like spoiled brats. It's a part of our culture. We think we are owed everything. It has to do with our society.

As an American I could not agree more.

r2473
Maybe, maybe not. But anger at the self is in a fundamentally different moral category than unwarranted and misdirected blame towards others.

Safin = Moral Exemplar

For christ sakes, show some pride man, put some effort into your trolling.

Stinkdyr
No one can match the serene Safin's cool temperament and appreciation and respect for finely crafted racquets.

WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r2473
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
1) Yes, 4.5 player.
2) I know how to redirect my emotions/anger
3) You seem pretty good at it yourself.

All these models of good behavior.

So why is it when I read the league / tournament threads.............

Ah, got it. Because all the people posting are Americans. Makes sense. The European / South American leagues are like going to church.

rommil
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
On the women side there's Serena Williams, you don't want to mess with her whether if you are a player, umpire or an asian linewomen.

:) I saw the Lineswoman involved in the Serenagate walking around the FO grounds.

jakemcclain32
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Nope...THIS one. Biggest enabler of laziness and complacency there ever has been.

r2473
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I play tennis. I never get angry because I'm not a pusssy.

Do you ever get angry "playing pusssy"?

jamesblakefan#1
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Blake was out of control during Wimbledon by yelling at Shriver. He was losing the match and the fustration got worse, so he take out his anger by blasting Shriver.

"Itís amazing you played tennis I can still hear you.. You wanna be an *** about it, and act like Iím at fault?"

at 4:25
http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/tag/james-blake/

Pretty much everyone agrees that Blake's one of the nicest guys on tour, almost too nice. Of course he kisses Fed's arse at every turn, so you should like him. ;)

That incident was the exception and not the rule, and most everyone agrees w/ Blake about Shriver being a shrew. But carry on, try harder. I'm sure its boring around here for you since I don't post as often in the General Pro section. I know you love to stalk me. :)

Stinkdyr
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I thought Blake handled Shrewver perfectly.

elpolaco84
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Well, talking about South Americans and anger is not fair because we all know that steroids make you moody.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

I'm joking, though, I'm a big Nalby and Delpo fan.

don't worry, none taken

Everyone likes to generalize

WARPWOODIE
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
All these models of good behavior.

So why is it when I read the league / tournament threads.............

Ah, got it. Because all the people posting are Americans. Makes sense. The European / South American leagues are like going to church.

Seriously?...I just like to watch good tennis....pros or juniors (my kid plays too...nationally ranked). Don't care much for the theatrics.

Mainad
05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Murray's temper is pretty terrible.

I don't think it's any worse than most. He does get frustrated at times and shows it but he never smashes his racket (like Djokovic often does) or waste time arguing at length with umpires or line judges.

As for American behaviour, it's evenly balanced to me IMO. For every Roddick, Fish or Serena, who often display tantrums on court, there is an Isner, a Querrey or a Venus who just get on with it and rarely cause a fuss about anything.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Do you ever get angry "playing pusssy"?

I never get angry over a game. Getting angry over a game is for losers.

TMF
05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Pretty much everyone agrees that Blake's one of the nicest guys on tour, almost too nice. Of course he kisses Fed's arse at every turn, so you should like him. ;)
Part of the reason is Federer was the only player who called Blake up in 2004 after he had a life threaten neck injury. Something Blake will remember forever and even mentioned in his autobiography.

That incident was the exception and not the rule, and most everyone agrees w/ Blake about Shriver being a shrew. But carry on, try harder. I'm sure its boring around here for you since I don't post as often in the General Pro section. I know you love to stalk me. :)
It's not that Shriver would say it to Blake face to face about his lousy game and mentally weak. She didn't expect Blake to hear what she was saying because she was far away. If she knew Blake can hear her, she wouldn't be critical of his game. Had Blake was winning the match, there wouldn't be a meltdown.

NE1for10is?
05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Top 10 angry tennis players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EP4pYV-jak

only half are Americans...

Power Player
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I never get angry over a game. Getting angry over a game is for losers.

Actually many would say getting angry over a game is for winners.

r2473
05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Top 10 angry tennis players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EP4pYV-jak

only half are Americans...

That's quite a list.

Venus is #5 :)

Serena didn't even make it.

Borrelli
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM

You don't make sense. But that's critical thinking for ya :wink:

heftylefty
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Nice to see TMF being so insightful as usual.

TMF
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
That's quite a list.

Venus is #5 :)

Serena didn't even make it.

I don't agree with the list. Having Venus, Hingis but not Serena? LOL !

brettsticker86
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
What does the US President has to do with spoiled tennis players? US society has produce the like of Ashe, Smith & Evert. They are the defination of class and control.

And look a society back then compared to what it is now

brettsticker86
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Stop watching so much media man, it's poisoning you. I mean to think I'm a hate monger is completely laughable. Moron.

Praetorian
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I remember growing up, my dad used to BEAT my @$$, if I shown any type of anger on the court - not "classy" as he'd put it. I think it has to do in which you can't do that anymore in this country - the whole liberal anti child abuse laws and such. Or it could be that kids nowadays are weaned to be entitled to do whatever the hell they wanted. Doesn't matter it is what it is.

TTMR
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
You don't make sense. But that's critical thinking for ya :wink:

How doesn't it make sense? Even if there is a possible syntactical error (debatable), the meaning of the statement can be easily gleaned.

TTMR
05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Safin = Moral Exemplar

For christ sakes, show some pride man, put some effort into your trolling.

Not trolling in this thread.

Federererer
05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Nice stereotyping.

stringertom
05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
There is a time-honored tradition in drinking establishments to avoid discussions of religion or politics. Please accept my invitation to extend that courtesy to tennis forums as well. Opinions on such topics are like a**holes...everyone has one but they are best kept to themselves. Thanks for sharing your various forms of ignorance.

Flash O'Groove
05-30-2012, 03:59 AM
I remember growing up, my dad used to BEAT my @$$, if I shown any type of anger on the court - not "classy" as he'd put it. I think it has to do in which you can't do that anymore in this country - the whole liberal anti child abuse laws and such. Or it could be that kids nowadays are weaned to be entitled to do whatever the hell they wanted. Doesn't matter it is what it is.

Well, I assure you that the "whole liberal anti child abuse laws and such" exists in Europa too. I really doubt that the parents of Federer or Nadal beat them to teach them to play tennis.

I think the question is not good from the beginning, because americans grow in the same type of society than the europeans, and they have the same kind of temper.

Querrey and Isner have already been named as couterexemple, but we could think of europeans players who have quiet a temper. Look at Ferdando Verdasco, Wawrinka, Berdych.

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Actually many would say getting angry over a game is for winners.

Those many are losers.

Power Player
05-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Those many are losers.

Your opinion may not hold that much weight though...no?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6562933&postcount=7

:(

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Your opinion may not hold that much weight though...no?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6562933&postcount=7

:(

Why not? So if I buy my books, my opinion on game emotions has more weight? Interesting logic.

Dedans Penthouse
05-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I play tennis. I never get angry because I'm not a pusssy.Having trouble spelling fanboy?

Being struck by someone who just joined the boards and who has trolled and flamed from the get-go, I did a quick search of your "other posts" and it became very apparent:

you are a *****....and a major ***** at that.