PDA

View Full Version : Dimitrov is pretty fun to watch

Defcon
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Much more than many other top players. I missed his match with Tsonga and have only seen his YouTube videos before. Has a really attractive game.

BevelDevil
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
The 30-year-old who tries to copy him is pretty fun to watch, too.

Defcon
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Have they ever played each other?

CDestroyer
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah its like watching Fed in 1st gear.

FlashFlare11
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Have they ever played each other?

We're still eagerly awaiting that match-up, unfortunately :)

coolhandluke
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
he's looking more and more like a cheap imitation fed. he is exagerating fed's strokes and it looks soooooo played out. what fed does to hit a shot dimi does to look like fed. There is only one fed!

Bud
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
he's looking more and more like a cheap imitation fed. he is exagerating fed's strokes and it looks soooooo played out. what fed does to hit a shot dimi does to look like fed. There is only one fed!

Ever watch Michael Yani? :)

If you could blur the video, you'd swear it was Sampras

OldFedIsOld
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I like Dimitrov's game, though he does show off his flexibility too much.....
I would imagine that Fed would easily dismantle him.

Sid_Vicious
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM

How about Rajeev Ram? :)

Evan77
05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I like his game too. and, seriously, all of this ***** comparing him with Fed is not really fair ... he is a talented young man ... I don't believe that you can really copy things in tennis ...(trust me, I tried to play like Fed, it didn't really work out :-). I think we should be supporting these youngsters more, but this board and all other tennis boards are all about Djokovic, Federer and Nadal who will not last forever btw.

BevelDevil
05-29-2012, 07:38 PM
^^^ there are a ton a Dimitrov fans. I think he and Raonic are some of the most hyped young players around here.

forzamilan90
05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
He is fun to watch no doubt when his game is on, obviously I am fond of such style of play. Really hope he maybe upset Gasquet, kid would really benefit from a high profile win at such a big stage.

SStrikerR
05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Random thought: I dont know how closely dimitrov follows federer's patterns, but if they were close..couldn't fed play him and see what flaws there are in his game?

Beside the whole high backhand thing. I think fed's caught onto that one.

stormholloway
05-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Dude, I am a cheap imitation Fed. Dimitrov is a world class athlete. You seem to be forgetting that this man plays tennis for a living. The fact that he originally modeled his game after Federer is irrelevant at this point. No, he's not anywhere near Federer, not by a long shot, but whatever choices he's made have gotten him this far.

Defcon
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
You could do a lot worse than model your game after Fed and then manage to execute it fairly well.

Russeljones
05-30-2012, 12:04 AM
You could do a lot worse than model your game after Fed and then manage to execute it fairly well.

This pretty much. We should be hoping more young players aspire to play like Federer. Too many 2hBh's for my liking.

MasturB
05-30-2012, 12:11 AM
This pretty much. We should be hoping more young players aspire to play like Federer. Too many 2hBh's for my liking.

Quoted for truth.

Man if Almagro had the mental game, his strokes are surely right there.

ericsson
05-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Dude, I am a cheap imitation Fed. Dimitrov is a world class athlete. You seem to be forgetting that this man plays tennis for a living. The fact that he originally modeled his game after Federer is irrelevant at this point. No, he's not anywhere near Federer, not by a long shot, but whatever choices he's made have gotten him this far.

Well said! The man's got talent and plays an attractive game of tennis. I really like to watch him, he's got all the strokes.
I hope he breaks through this year, i want to see him compete with the top!

Overheadsmash
05-30-2012, 04:24 AM
The man may have some talent, but he was dropping some f bombs when losing to Ferrer at Cinci last summer - right in front of my 11 year old daughter.

SwankPeRFection
05-30-2012, 06:16 AM

And let's not forget that Fed imitated Sampras to some extent when he started playing. Everyone wasn't thinking Fed would do anything big back then either. The best match ever was when they played each other at Wimbledon.

Point is, you just never know where people will go. I watched the match up yesterday against idiot Young and once GD got going and was making his shots, he was making some really nice ones. His biggest issue is consistency and if someone gets under his skin enough to unbalance that enough, he won't be making his shots and will miss a lot. His 1st serve % wasn't that good in the first set, but it went up in set 2 and 3. The funny thing is that his UEs were less than what Fed's been averaging this whole tournament. GD's were about half of Fed's. I would love to see the two play. I think it would be one of those matches where Fed would try to come up with the magic shots just to show off against him and unless GD truly outplays his own style and puts back some monster returns and doesn't try to show off too much, it would be an interesting match to see. It would certainly be fun to watch, that's for sure.

SwankPeRFection
05-30-2012, 06:20 AM
The man may have some talent, but he was dropping some f bombs when losing to Ferrer at Cinci last summer - right in front of my 11 year old daughter.

Ya, because I'm sure she's never heard that before. :rolleyes:

Swearing is a part of life, get over it... Etiquette has taught us to curb the action in certain situations, but EVERYBODY swears. If you think otherwise, you're naive.

coolhandluke
05-30-2012, 06:44 AM

REALLY NOW?

Wilander Fan
05-30-2012, 11:14 AM
If you watch early Fed when he was just a kid with potential, his strokes looked very different. Much more tentative and not as much spring in his step or dramatic follow through. Its interesting in that he has reverted back to that a bit as he has gotten older and stiffer. Back in his prime Fed was leaping into his strokes and taking long graceful aggressive swings on every ball.

Fate Archer
05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
If you watch early Fed when he was just a kid with potential, his strokes looked very different. Much more tentative and not as much spring in his step or dramatic follow through. Its interesting in that he has reverted back to that a bit as he has gotten older and stiffer. Back in his prime Fed was leaping into his strokes and taking long graceful aggressive swings on every ball.

As a tennis bon vivant, I have to quote this for truth. 2004 Federer comes to mind. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4obcWquk3ok#t=1m27s)

ZOMG RUNNING DTL HALF-VOLLEY APPROACH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4obcWquk3ok#t=5m26s)

*Ahem*

Yeah, Dimitrov is tons of fun to watch. :)

Him and Stebe will make for the "Nalbandian x Federer" matchup in this next generation.

dominikk1985
05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Why is anyone saying dimitrov is copying federer?

Only fans with no clue about tennis say that. yeah he plays one handed but this is pretty much everything.

Dimitrov plays a double bend FH while Rog is hitting a straight arm FH. how can he copy him if he doesn't even use federers trademark stroke?

Laurie
05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Fun to watch but seemingly not getting anywhere. We've seen many players like this over the years.

SwankPeRFection
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Why is anyone saying dimitrov is copying federer?

Only fans with no clue about tennis say that. yeah he plays one handed but this is pretty much everything.

Dimitrov plays a double bend FH while Rog is hitting a straight arm FH. how can he copy him if he doesn't even use federers trademark stroke?

Says the person who doesn't look close enough. Take a look at his racquet... he uses power pads just like Fed. Before the French he had the same stringing hybrid. I think from what I could tell on the last match against Young that he's possibly using all gut right now, but don't quote me on that. I'd say it's pretty definitive that he's got a thing for Fed kind of like Fed had a thing for Sampras.

BreakPoint
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

How about Rajeev Ram? :)
That's what I was thinking. Rajeev Ram is the one that has carbon copy Sampras strokes, especially his forehand and serve. He even copied Sampras's racquets - from PS 6.0 85 to Tour 90s to Babolat.

Russeljones
06-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Ya, because I'm sure she's never heard that before. :rolleyes:

Swearing is a part of life, get over it... Etiquette has taught us to curb the action in certain situations, but EVERYBODY swears. If you think otherwise, you're naive.

Ironic as you're the one making assumptions.

Cesc Fabregas
06-01-2012, 01:51 AM
He's fun to watch but his fitness is terrible. Cramping after nearly 2 sets of tennis is really poor.

Russeljones
06-01-2012, 01:55 AM
He's fun to watch but his fitness is terrible. Cramping after nearly 2 sets of tennis is really poor.

Not every two sets last 2 hours, hence it would be incorrect to say 'cramping after two sets' rather 'two hours'. I am sure the absence of a top grade coach is hurting him. He needs so much help at this stage of his career I have no idea what's going on there.

Bjorn99
06-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Federer is a freak of nature that is just amazing to watch. Scientists that I have talked to, who predicted 15 years ago, that in five years, most of the athletes in the Olympics would be 15% cyborg or artificial, are totally convinced he is just that, composed of metal and flesh.

But whether he is or not, he is just amazing to watch, while Dimitrov is just fun to watch.

SwankPeRFection
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM

The fact that he was runnning everything down is a big factor. The other is that when he was sitting down, not once did I see him drink anything other than water. WTF?! If all he was drinking is water and just taking bites of bars, etc. that's not enough potassium and sodium to curb the cramps. He needs to get himself a drink that has both electrolytes and some protein in it and he should be fine. He should be drinking that instead of "just" water. Otherwise, he needs to stop running around trying to play out of his mind, it's not going to happen.

10is
06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I am sure the absence of a top grade coach is hurting him.

Your joking right? How can anyone get more "top grade" than Peter Lundgren? The guy took Marcelo Rios, Roger Federer and Marat Safin to #1 in the world. He probably has the best resume among current active "non-celebrity" coaches.

BreakPoint
06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
The fact that he was runnning everything down is a big factor. The other is that when he was sitting down, not once did I see him drink anything other than water. WTF?! If all he was drinking is water and just taking bites of bars, etc. that's not enough potassium and sodium to curb the cramps. He needs to get himself a drink that has both electrolytes and some protein in it and he should be fine. He should be drinking that instead of "just" water. Otherwise, he needs to stop running around trying to play out of his mind, it's not going to happen.
Hmmm.....all I ever drink is water when I play tennis and I've never cramped up even in hot conditions.

Russeljones
06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Your joking right? How can anyone get more "top grade" than Peter Lundgren? The guy took Marcelo Rios, Roger Federer and Marat Safin to #1 in the world. He probably has the best resume among current active "non-celebrity" coaches.

He had 2 coaches since Peter Lundgren and has none now.

10is
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
He had 2 coaches since Peter Lundgren and has none now.

WTH?! I had no idea! Why on earth did he drop Lundgren? Federer at least had won a major, a WTF title and had reached #2 before dropping him. I consider Lundgren to be one the best formative player development coaches in the world of tennis. Poor move by Dimitrov, though I admit Lundgren did Grigor no favors by starting the Fed comparision hype waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too prematurely. But then again, you have to wonder if Grigor would be half as "popular" as he is relative to his other peers with a similar career and ranking ( to date) if he hadn't been hyped up in that fashion.

Fate Archer
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
WTH?! I had no idea! Why on earth did he drop Lundgren? Federer at least had won a major, a WTF title and had reached #2 before dropping him. I consider Lundgren to be one the best formative player development coaches in the world of tennis. Poor move by Dimitrov, though I admit Lundgren did Grigor no favors by starting the Fed comparision hype waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too prematurely. But then again, you have to wonder if Grigor would be half as "popular" as he is relative to his other peers with a similar career and ranking ( to date) if he hadn't been hyped up in that fashion.

Don't know who dropped who (I think it was Lundgren), but Lundgren went to work with Wawrinka after parting with Dimitrov at some point late 2010 iirc, where their partnership lasted until september 2011.

I think Grigor is doing fine technically at the moment. What he needs now, if he doesn't have one already, is a good and committed physio trainer to work on his fitness. That's what is hampering him on his way to have better Slam results this year.

SwankPeRFection
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Hmmm.....all I ever drink is water when I play tennis and I've never cramped up even in hot conditions.

Different people have different bodies. Also, the level and intensity of your play also plays a big role in this. What you eat and how long before you play also plays a big role on this. Your metabolism, etc. It's a number of things that affect if someone's going to cramp up or not. I for example don't have issues with cramps, but I drink a mix that has enough sugar and electrolytes to keep me out of the dumps mentally. If my sugar gets low (i.e. like I need to eat or something) and I don't have some liquid in me offesting that problem, I'll be all ****y and can't focus. It has nothing to do with tennis, I get the same way if I don't eat for some reason during the day. I get moody and I know I need to eat something if it's a busy day, regardless. As long as I'm eating regularly during the day I'm fine and I make sure I don't go to play hungry or I'll run out of energy and won't be able to play well no matter what. Recently I changed the mix a bit to add some protein in it so that I don't have to worry so much about making sure I drink a protein shake after tennis to make sure I don't get sore the next day. For me personally, a protein shake with a high potassium level seems to solve my sore muscle issue in no time. I've had it fix the problem in a couple of hours in a pinch. I can't explain it, but it works for me. So, like I said, different things work for different people. I play tennis 5-6 days a week about 3+ hours a day if I can help it. With that, I'm bound to be sore because I don't play all relaxed slow paced social Sunday tennis. I run around and get to everything. If I can ingest a few nutritional things to help alleviate the soreness and whatever afterwards, I'll do it. Again, it's what works for me and my physical regiment.

10is
06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I think Grigor is doing fine technically at the moment. What he needs now, if he doesn't have one already, is a good and committed physio trainer to work on his fitness. That's what is hampering him on his way to have better Slam results this year.

Technically, in terms of his strokes... yes. Mentally? Strategically? I have my doubts and I feel thats where a coach like Lundgren could have really helped. I agree with you with regards to a need for improved physiological conditioning as well. The window to substantiate his place as an upper-tier competitor is closing fast and if he doesn't make some noise in the next year or so I fear he is going to be relegated to journeyman hell, which would be a shame for a player of his apparent potential.

BeHappy
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Technically, in terms of his strokes... yes. Mentally? Strategically? I have my doubts and I feel thats where a coach like Lundgren could have really helped. I agree with you with regards to a need for improved physiological conditioning as well. The window to substantiate his place as an upper-tier competitor is closing fast and if he doesn't make some noise in the next year or so I fear he is going to be relegated to journeyman hell, which would be a shame for a player of his apparent potential.

I think Lundgren is the best coach I have ever seen. Every player he coaches instantly plays perfect strategy.