PDA

View Full Version : RG is Too High Bouncing.

Murrayfan31
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
It definitely hurts the level of play with such high bouncing shots. They really need to fix this problem. Madrid and Rome were able to keep the bounce from getting too high. Why can't RG? I don't mind the courts being slow but high bouncing hurts the level of play. Over the shoulder shots are not natural for the players.

beast of mallorca
05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
It definitely hurts the level of play with such high bouncing shots. They really need to fix this problem. Madrid and Rome were able to keep the bounce from getting too high. Why can't RG? I don't mind the courts being slow but high bouncing hurts the level of play. Over the shoulder shots are not natural for the players.

Who's level of play ? Federer's ? Surely, if he is the GOAT then he can adjust no ?
But I guess you don't have confidence in your so called GOAT no ?

Murrayfan31
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Who's level of play ? Federer's ? Surely, if he is the GOAT then he can adjust no ?
Everyones game has dropped. The ball is going through the court with almost half the pace due to uncomfortable shots on both sides.

Mike Sams
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I wish everybody starts moonballing. :lol:

nadal_slam_king
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I must admit, I'm very impressed with the conditions at Roland Garros this year and can see it suits Nadal more than last year. It is good that they have distinguished clay from the other surfaces more this year. Clay is supposed to be high-bouncing, so well done Roland Garros.

dominikk1985
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
the reason is the weather. if it is hot those courts really become fast and high bouncing.

whoopinstick
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
its what makes the french open the french open. you gotta deal with it and the players gotta deal with it.

ultradr
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Overally, all courts these days bounces too high. French has been always like that
since tennis was born AFAIK. I actually think we should keep that tradition
at least at French now that Wimbledon broke the tradition and made their courts bounces high.

Mikael
05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
the reason is the weather. if it is hot those courts really become fast and high bouncing.

Exactly. Apparently the weather will remain mostly good (sunny but not as hot) for the rest of the fortnight, so expect more of the same!

Rozroz
05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Overally, all courts these days bounces too high. French has been always like that
at least at French now that Wimbledon broke the tradition and made their courts bounces high.

no.
they should turn Wimbeldon to clay-like court and RG to grass-like.
AO is clay-like anyway, so what's left is US with-.... who knows what.

Praetorian
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM

They have to keep it like this or Rafa will cry, complain, and/or boycott all French Opens going forward. People like the long rallies. Nothing more exciting then going out for a beverage, only to come back that the same point is still being played - you get your monies worth... LOL

Bud
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Wimbledon didn't modify their court to give the ball a higher bounce. With today's baseline players, the base beneath the grass was too torn up after two weeks. So, they simply packed the base harder and changed to a more durable grass.

3fees
05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Grass courts are not known for high bounces,,they are known for the ball sliding and actually staying lower than hardcourt and clay court bounces.

Cheers
3fees :)

BlueClayIsRealClay
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Murray is taller than Nadal. The high bounce should help him.

The-Champ
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Murray is taller than Nadal. The high bounce should help him.

DjokovicForTheWin will probably agree with you..

Murrayfan31
05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
What they need to do is take off some of that top layer of surface. Or just don't add any more for the rest of the tournament. I've seen it play faster when that top layer is hardly there.

sbengte
05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
DjokovicForTheWin will probably agree with you..

Aha ! Nailed it :D

nadal_slam_king
05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
I hope they slow Roland Garros down so it becomes like 1990s clay. There aren't enough 40-shot rallies on this surface.

Hitman
05-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Ahh....

It's a clay court, and clay courts in general are high bouncing. This isn't some new revelation that RG has introduced this year.

joeri888
05-30-2012, 01:10 AM
I must admit, I'm very impressed with the conditions at Roland Garros this year and can see it suits Nadal more than last year. It is good that they have distinguished clay from the other surfaces more this year. Clay is supposed to be high-bouncing, so well done Roland Garros.

You agree that Wimbledon should be extremely fast and very very low bouncing then as well?

joeri888
05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
I hope they slow Roland Garros down so it becomes like 1990s clay. There aren't enough 40-shot rallies on this surface.

Players and technique are stronger now than in the 90s. This makes 40 shot rallies harder.

Slice&Smash
05-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Ahh....

It's a clay court, and clay courts in general are high bouncing. This isn't some new revelation that RG has introduced this year.

Agree. We really need some variety in tennis.

If no one is good enough to handle Nadal's top-spin, then he deserves his seventh RG title...

Sentinel
05-30-2012, 01:15 AM

Don't worry, hero of mine, Slam King will will no matter what. But high bouncing court suit Joker too, no?

Hitman
05-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Agree. We really need some variety in tennis.

If no one is good enough to handle Nadal's top-spin, then he deserves his seventh RG title...

Fully agree that we need variety. Variety is the spice of life.

As far as Nadal is concerned, if players can't deal with Nadal's ability to exploit the surface to his benefit with his vicious top spin, then he does deserve the title.

nadal_slam_king
05-30-2012, 01:58 AM
You agree that Wimbledon should be extremely fast and very very low bouncing then as well?

It already is, compared with Roland Garros. So yes.

firepanda
05-30-2012, 02:02 AM
High-bouncing is good and very slow is good as well. More rallies that way.

Some of the shots being made look quite awkward, though. The surface definitely favours western grips, tall players and 2h backhands.

Murrayfan31
06-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Still too high bouncing. This tournament is a joke.

droliver
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Wimbledon (as is) is still a fast surface, but with a true or even bounce as compared to the old days. I love the play that's developed on it as it still rewards big servers and aggressive play, but it's not an unwatchable ace-a-thon and the turf is not so beat up as to preclude any semblance of backcourt play.

Bobby Jr
06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Wimbledon didn't modify their court to give the ball a higher bounce. With today's baseline players, the base beneath the grass was too torn up after two weeks. So, they simply packed the base harder and changed to a more durable grass.
Well, they sort of did. By leaving the court longer is became more packed and therefore higher bouncing.

They could easily have corded the courts or done something to make them play with lower bounces but chose not to. So it was change by omission.

TennisLovaLova
06-03-2012, 11:29 PM

And at the end the spaniard will win.
It just shows how the court conditions favor only and always the same player...

Gizo
06-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Clay courts should be high bouncing. Now grass courts, indoor courts and some (but not all) outdoor hard courts should be lower bouncing.

In an ideal scenario the Australian Open would be played on a slow hard court which it currently is, RG would be played on slower clay, Wimbledon would be played on faster grass, and the US Open would be played on a faster hard court.

This surface homogenisation with the same players reaching the latter stages of nearly every grand slam is tedious. But what appeals to more die hard tennis who are in the minority, is different to what appeals to casual fans who make up the majority.

syke
06-04-2012, 12:31 AM

I think it's benefits Fed more than anyone else. With him taking the ball early, the high bounce advantage becomes nullified.

Sentinel
06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Should be okay for Murray, no ?

Heracles
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Lol at you complaining that the true clay is too high bouncing.

jokinla
06-04-2012, 10:22 AM
And IMO Wimbledon is too green.

BeHappy
06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Hasn't been this slow since 2005

TennisLovaLova
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
+ today it's gonna be supa duppa slow
17C
very cloudy
75% humidity and rain around 7 PM
10 Km/h wind

NADAL CONDITIONS

Murrayfan31
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM
17C
very cloudy
10 Km/h wind

NADAL CONDITIONS
It's not the weather. It's the ball. Way slower than last year.

joeri888
06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
It already is, compared with Roland Garros. So yes.

It's not, with how it used to be. So you agree that it is supposed to play as fast as possible? Because it is grass?

joeri888
06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
17C
very cloudy
10 Km/h wind

NADAL CONDITIONS

What's predicitons for rest of the week like?

@tennislovalova, I agree. The ball is extremely slow compared to last year.

TennisLovaLova
06-05-2012, 02:49 AM
What's predicitons for rest of the week like?

@tennislovalova, I agree. The ball is extremely slow compared to last year.

Ball is indeed slow

Here's the weather check (tx to accuweather, never fails)

Wednesday : 20 sw wind 13km/h and showers around, 2mm
Thursday: 23 rain all day no tennis that day that's for sure, 8 mm!!!
Friday et Sunday: 18 and 21, no rain

Sunday: 18 with possible rain in the morning and rain in the afternoon

Murrayfan31
06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
The problem is Babolat is catering to Nadal because he uses their racquet. They are always experimenting with getting the most spin on the ball as possible to make Nadal's strength even stronger. I think Wilson should make the balls instead.

gavna
06-07-2012, 02:35 AM
The problem is Babolat is catering to Nadal because he uses their racquet. They are always experimenting with getting the most spin on the ball as possible to make Nadal's strength even stronger. I think Wilson should make the balls instead.

Yes it's a complete conspiracy by Babolat to have Nadal win at the biggest FFT event. What a silly topic - dude the goal of the FFT is to have a great event AND have a French man and Woman win it. Period. Babolat does NOTHING without the ok of the FFT who run the event. And if you don't think the folks in Lyon would love to see a Tsonga win your a bit more silly than this thread.

gavna
06-07-2012, 02:38 AM

What problem?????? Have you ever played on European red clay???? Hitting balls at your shoulder or even above is normal and part of the game.........that's one reason for so many years the switch from he clay court season on the continent to grass in the UK was such a huge issue.