PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Round Robin Schedule Generator

Boj
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I have been asked to organize some doubles tennis round robin events in my community.

Does anybody know of a phone app or website that can take into account number of players and number of courts to generate a doubles round robin schedule?

Any other advice in helping to keep events such as this running smoothly is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

g4driver
05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Ensure all courts use no-ad scoring. This stops matches ending at widely varying times. Imagine some courts going 40-5, maybe a deuce here and there, while other courts are going to five or more deuce games.

No ad scoring will keep most courts ending fairly close to the same time.

spot
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Boj- I run a big Round Robin in Atlanta. How I do it is that I have people give me their level when they sign up and then I seed people by courts so they have an initial starting court. We warm up for 10 minutes, then people play for 20 minutes of no-ad scoring. No-ad points deciding points are gender to gender though women can choose to serve to the guy if they prefer. After the 20 minutes if you are winning you move up a court and then split so that you are playing against the person you just played with. People above you would send the 2 losing people down and they would also split. This means that even if I have you seeded too high or too low you will quickly find the level you belong. Its tough to get carried up or down by a partner since you play them the next round no matter what.

The events are very popular- we routinely fill up 16 courts of doubles and normally have at least 20 people on the waitlist to play.

Was there a different kind of Round Robin that you had in mind?

AtomicForehand
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Boj- I run a big Round Robin in Atlanta.

Hmm...Spot, that sounds like tons of fun. Where in the metro area is your round robin? I might like to participate some time!

chollyred
05-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Hmm...Spot, that sounds like tons of fun. Where in the metro area is your round robin? I might like to participate some time!

Atomic,

Spot has these over at DeKalb Tennis Center. I've had a chance to play once before baseball and injuries got in the way. Can't wait to play again. It was lots of fun and a lot of really nice people to hang around. He does it right.

spot
05-31-2012, 03:36 AM
www.dekalbtennis.com is the site for the Round Robin. You should definitely check it out. The level of play has been ridiculously high lately. We've been having 3 or 4 courts of AA players and another 6 or 7 courts of A level players. The group of people is a ton of fun and there is always a big group going out afterward for drinks.

Boj
05-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Spot - Thanks for your input. We did a similiar format in our neighborhood (on a smaller scale) over the holiday weekend. The downfall was that there were more players than we had expected. We had 26 players show up and we only had 4 courts reserved.

Trying to figure out how to cycle people in and out was our issue.

In the past I have been in events where it is more of a true mixed doubles round robin, where every guy partners with every girl once. They also play against every girl and guy once, in some configuration or another. This can be a lot of tennis, even with 16 players!

Are you familiar with this type of set up? Usually, the coordinator has a sheet printed out that determines the pairings for each round. I'm just wondering if there is somewhere online that has these pairing schedules posted.

Your events sound like a lot of fun!

spot
05-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Boj- in your case where you have no idea how many people are going to show up I'd probably set up a court of "King of the Court" to handle the overflow.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for. A true Round Robin tournament is where you play against every other team so thats not it. Do you want something that will just spit out random pairings if you give it a list of 16, 20, or 24 games? Do you want it to set it so that if you ahve 20 people but only 4 courts then a random 4 people would sit out every turn?

catfish
05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Topdog sports has a free tennis round robin scheduler. It takes into account number of players & courts. It doesn't work well for large leagues where you have multiple teams and levels using the same facilities.

www.topdogtennis.com

Boj
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
That's what I was looking for.
Looks like it's called switch partner doubles
Thanks Catfish!

Only problem I have is that I want to specify male or female for each player so that I only get unique mixed doubles teams. It is probably in here....

catfish
05-31-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't know if there is a male / female designation in Topdog scheduler. I've never had to do that.

Dags
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Spot - Thanks for your input. We did a similiar format in our neighborhood (on a smaller scale) over the holiday weekend. The downfall was that there were more players than we had expected. We had 26 players show up and we only had 4 courts reserved.

Trying to figure out how to cycle people in and out was our issue.

In the past I have been in events where it is more of a true mixed doubles round robin, where every guy partners with every girl once. They also play against every girl and guy once, in some configuration or another. This can be a lot of tennis, even with 16 players!

Are you familiar with this type of set up? Usually, the coordinator has a sheet printed out that determines the pairings for each round. I'm just wondering if there is somewhere online that has these pairing schedules posted.

I started writing a program to do this, but it's not finished as I never quite worked out the right algorithm. However, the brute force approach worked well enough for lower numbers, so I've got a couple of spreadsheets with some combinations. The one that works best is 16 players (8 male, 8 female) on 4 courts, as it means you can go 4 rounds where you're never play with / against the same person.

In terms of how to schedule it, I think it works best to split players into 2 pools. So if you have 32 players, you have two groups of 16, let them play a 20 minute match and then rotate. To run smoothly, it probably requires you knowing the exact number in advance (plus having reserves for when people drop out), unless you find an app that can do it all on the fly.

If you want the spreadsheets I have (16 players over 4 courts for 6 rounds and 12 players over 3 courts for 4 rounds), drop me an email via my profile.

Boj
06-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks Dags!

I would be interested in the spreadsheets. It doesn't look like you have any contact info on your profile though.

Dags
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It doesn't look like you have any contact info on your profile though.

You either need to enable email in your own profile to see it in mine, or there may be a rule that means you need to reach 50 posts. In the meantime, I shall try to paste it below.

16 players, 4 courts. The first 4 rounds should be unique combinations; rounds 5 and 6 players will be partnering people they've already played against. (n.b. that the embedded window below scrolls)

Round 1

Court 1 M1 L1 vs M2 L2

Court 2 M3 L3 vs M4 L4

Court 3 M5 L5 vs M6 L6

Court 4 M7 L7 vs M8 L8

Round 2

Court 1 M2 L4 vs M5 L7

Court 2 M3 L1 vs M7 L6

Court 3 M4 L2 vs M8 L5

Court 4 M1 L3 vs M6 L8

Round 3

Court 1 M6 L2 vs M7 L4

Court 2 M1 L5 vs M3 L7

Court 3 M2 L6 vs M4 L8

Court 4 M5 L1 vs M8 L3

Round 4

Court 1 M4 L1 vs M6 L7

Court 2 M2 L3 vs M7 L5

Court 3 M1 L4 vs M8 L6

Court 4 M3 L2 vs M5 L8

Round 5

Court 1 M1 L7 vs M5 L3

Court 2 M3 L5 vs M8 L1

Court 3 M4 L6 vs M7 L2

Court 4 M2 L8 vs M6 L4

Round 6

Court 1 M6 L3 vs M8 L2

Court 2 M1 L8 vs M4 L5

Court 3 M3 L6 vs M2 L7

Court 4 M5 L4 vs M7 L1

12 players on 3 courts. This is far more awkward. I only did 4 rounds, and L1 plays L4 twice, with M3 playing M6 twice.

Round 1

Court 1 M2 L2 vs M1 L6

Court 2 M3 L4 vs M6 L1

Court 3 M4 L5 vs M5 L3

Round 2

Court 1 M5 L5 vs M6 L6

Court 2 M2 L4 vs M4 L3

Court 3 M3 L1 vs M1 L2

Round 3

Court 1 M3 L5 vs M4 L4

Court 2 M5 L6 vs M1 L1

Court 3 M6 L2 vs M2 L3

Round 4

Court 1 M1 L4 vs M4 L1

Court 2 M3 L6 vs M6 L3

Court 3 M2 L5 vs M5 L2

In the spreadsheet, I had a list of players on Sheet 1, and the match ups on Sheet 2. The cells in Sheet 2 referenced those in Sheet 1, so I could just change the list of players and the schedule reflected that.

Boj
02-03-2013, 08:12 AM
I appreciate you sharing this!

Xfimpg
08-25-2013, 03:20 AM
Boj- I run a big Round Robin in Atlanta. How I do it is that I have people give me their level when they sign up and then I seed people by courts so they have an initial starting court. We warm up for 10 minutes, then people play for 20 minutes of no-ad scoring. No-ad points deciding points are gender to gender though women can choose to serve to the guy if they prefer. After the 20 minutes if you are winning you move up a court and then split so that you are playing against the person you just played with. People above you would send the 2 losing people down and they would also split. This means that even if I have you seeded too high or too low you will quickly find the level you belong. Its tough to get carried up or down by a partner since you play them the next round no matter what.

The events are very popular- we routinely fill up 16 courts of doubles and normally have at least 20 people on the waitlist to play.

Was there a different kind of Round Robin that you had in mind?

I'm resurrecting this thread... :)

How much time do you allocate for each match, i.e. with 6-6 max in games, tie-breaker, and no-ad scoring? Any other buffer time in there?

Thanks

spot
08-25-2013, 09:28 AM
I do 20 minutes per rotation. We do no ad scoring to make sure there are a decent number of games that get played and 1 long service game doesn't take up the whole rotation. Some people definitely bristle about the no-ad scoring but I think overall it is the best solution.

No other buffer time between rotations. People will definitely run up to get a drink or some food in between but people are quick about it.

Xfimpg
08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
I do 20 minutes per rotation. We do no ad scoring to make sure there are a decent number of games that get played and 1 long service game doesn't take up the whole rotation. Some people definitely bristle about the no-ad scoring but I think overall it is the best solution.

No other buffer time between rotations. People will definitely run up to get a drink or some food in between but people are quick about it.

Hey Spot
Do you mean you budget 20 min per rotation or you time-limit sets to 20 min?
I had actually allocated 45 min per set with no-ad scoring but I think I budgetted too much time!

spot
08-26-2013, 05:23 PM
We don't play complete sets- we rotate after 20 minutes. If you are winning you move up, if you are losing you move down.

For us we tell people to arrive by 7:00 to get people checked in. People are warming up by 7:05. 7:15 people start playing. Then we do 6 20 minute rotations so we end at 9:15. We may end up switching that to take out a rotation and end at 9:00 as people at my event like to hang out a while afterward and talk with people who were on other courts before heading out for drinks.

With the no-ad scoring and 20 minutes per rotation people usually get in 6 or 7 games.

Xfimpg
08-26-2013, 07:14 PM
We don't play complete sets- we rotate after 20 minutes. If you are winning you move up, if you are losing you move down.

For us we tell people to arrive by 7:00 to get people checked in. People are warming up by 7:05. 7:15 people start playing. Then we do 6 20 minute rotations so we end at 9:15. We may end up switching that to take out a rotation and end at 9:00 as people at my event like to hang out a while afterward and talk with people who were on other courts before heading out for drinks.

With the no-ad scoring and 20 minutes per rotation people usually get in 6 or 7 games.

Thanks, that's great feedback. I allocated 45 minutes for each set with no-ad scoring so looks like I'm right on target.

Bedrock
08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I have been asked to organize some doubles tennis round robin events in my community.

Does anybody know of a phone app or website that can take into account number of players and number of courts to generate a doubles round robin schedule?

Any other advice in helping to keep events such as this running smoothly is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Generator ?