PDA

View Full Version : Should Murray just withdraw from the French Open already?

papertank
05-31-2012, 06:18 AM
It's obvious he's having some pretty pressing back problems. The more he plays, the worse they will get. In this state there's no way he has a shot at winning the tournament. I think he should just withdraw now, heal up, and get an early start preparing for a tournament he has a much better chance of winning- Wimbledon.

jm1980
05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
It's obvious he's having some pretty pressing back problems. The more he plays, the worse they will get. In this state there's no way he has a shot at winning the tournament. I think he should just withdraw now, heal up, and get an early start preparing for a tournament he has a much better chance of winning- Wimbledon.

He has SF points to defend.

Flash O'Groove
05-31-2012, 06:54 AM
He has SF points to defend.

He has SF points to defend in Wimbledon and US Open too, a victory in Cincinati, the olympic games coming...I don't know if he is really hurt or not but he has a lot more to lose by getting seriously injured than these SF points. Not mentionning that even without the RG points, he would still be fat ahead than Tsonga.

Sentinel
05-31-2012, 07:04 AM
By OP's logic, everyone not named Nadal should retire.

batz
05-31-2012, 07:36 AM

He says the spasms he experienced today are new and unrelated to the injury he has been receiving treatment for.

He'll play on.

tennisdad65
05-31-2012, 07:39 AM
He needs to withdraw, rest his back, and rework his serve. Too much back bend in his serve. His back problems are only going to get worse every year unless he reworks his serve.

Hood_Man
05-31-2012, 07:40 AM
If it was really bad he'd pull out. He's enough of a tennis nerd to know what his ranking situation is, he can't be overtaken by anyone between now and Wimbledon so his seeding shouldn't change (unless he gets the 3rd seeding ahead of Federer?).

Lendl might be a hard nut but even he would be scared of the reaction he'd get from the British media if they thought he was pushing Murray to injury.

papertank
05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
By OP's logic, everyone not named Nadal should retire.

I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't have a good shot of winning should retire. I'm just saying in Murray's case, someone who has long been looking to win a slam, there's a very slim chance of that here, and playing further into the tournament could make him more injured for Wimbledon and onward, where he has a lot of points to defend.

batz
05-31-2012, 07:54 AM
If it was really bad he'd pull out. He's enough of a tennis nerd to know what his ranking situation is, he can't be overtaken by anyone between now and Wimbledon so his seeding shouldn't change (unless he gets the 3rd seeding ahead of Federer?).

Lendl might be a hard nut but even he would be scared of the reaction he'd get from the British media if they thought he was pushing Murray to injury.

Andy agrees with you:

"I'm not doing myself any actual damage by playing with what I have. I have had all the best advice from some of the top surgeons and physios. I'm confident that I'm doing the right thing," he said.

"I'm going to try and carry on regardless, whether it's a bit sorer tomorrow or in two days' time, I'm going to carry on"

TenTan
05-31-2012, 07:55 AM
He may aswell just withdraw. Hes got nothing to lose. Even if he loses the number 4 spot, he will more or less likely regain it again - i mean whos going to threat him?

Mainad
05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Yes, he has SF points to defend at RG (he has SF points to defend at all the Slams this year). In fact he has quite a lot of points to defend from here on in. But his fitness must be his priority and if his back is not up to it, then he risks just making it worse in the long run by trying to play while it is troubling him so much.

It's a difficult call. I'm sure he is taking medical advice about it but it would seem rash to put unnecessary strain on his back for a tourney he's unlikely to win anyway.

TheF1Bob
05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Of course the ******s want him in, as it will be a walkover for Nadal. Saying that, this is Murray. Like Nadal, fakes injuries. Today, he claimed he has a NEW injury along with his back one. I mean seriously, how many injuries do you need before you can't compete lol.

jmverdugo
05-31-2012, 08:35 AM
He needs to go to a Dr and find out what is going on and then take a decision. Or you guys already know what is the problem?

skip1969
05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
the guy knows his body, and he's got a physio who knows his body. so if he's cleared to play, why shouldn't he?

batz
05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
He needs to go to a Dr and find out what is going on and then take a decision. Or you guys already know what is the problem?

I'm not meaning to have a go mate but does nobody read threads before posting?

You'll find an answer to your question a couple of posts up.

CMM
05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/tennis/4349495/Andy-Murray-slams-legend-Virginia-Wade-for-back-injury-doubts.html

Rozroz
06-01-2012, 01:42 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/tennis/4349495/Andy-Murray-slams-legend-Virginia-Wade-for-back-injury-doubts.html

drama queen.
that sums it up.

Sentinel
06-01-2012, 02:24 AM
the guy knows his body, and he's got a physio who knows his body. so if he's cleared to play, why shouldn't he?
Only Ms Sears doesn't know his body :twisted:

Fedex
06-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Murray should give it another shot but if the same problems occur then common sense tells you he must call it a day.
He was winning matches last year hopping on one leg which is testament to his amazing talent but a bad back is totally debilitating.

1970CRBase
06-01-2012, 03:35 AM
I guess Wade has to appear "fair and balanced" with that comment about Murray.

She's also totally wrong.

myl0rd
06-01-2012, 04:13 AM
Hmm,
I feel that Muzz (and Lendl) both know his limits, as well as everything that's at stake point wise and future tournaments. If he thinks he can go on, then so be it. I think he will lose rather than retire, probably before he even gets to face Rafa...