PDA

View Full Version : Florian Mayer - A Wasted Talent

augustobt
05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
What's happening in 2012? He clearly isn't the same after the knee injury.

Straight losses, h2h getting reversed against guys like Andujar, comback from EDUARDO SCHWANK...

Cormorant
05-31-2012, 08:00 AM
After his breakthrough season in 2004, Mayer was at first exasperating as his performances nosedived and then just plain hopeless from 2005-2009. This resurgence of his has been quite heartening in light of all those years of unrealised potential, and if 2011 is as good as it gets then I'll take it.

Andujar is at a career-best ranking one year on from his eye-opening match against Nadal at RG, and his recent play (taking Djoko to three on NA hard and winning titles on clay) has been more than good enough to challenge someone like Mayer.

Leelord337
05-31-2012, 11:59 PM
consistency of play is everything on the tour nowadays. Mayer, when he's on, can beat anybody. He beat Rafa last year

dominikk1985
06-01-2012, 02:52 AM
I wouldn't call him a great talent. he has a great feel for the ball but he is not a great athlete.

power and running is the most important thing is tennis and he is not great in both. not really bad either but not elite.

he can compensate somewhat with his unorthodox play and get touch for the ball but in the end this is not enough if he doesn't have a perfect day.

consistency is important. for example ferrer might not be that huge of a talent but he never loses against one outside the top10 (never beats the top4 either). that's why he is a long time top10 player.

augustobt
06-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I think that Florian is a very skilled guy. He have a great variety of shots. Big servers like Isner, Karlovic, Raonic, Anderson (...) will always suffer against him in any surface.