PDA

View Full Version : Record set for players over 30 entered into main draw at FO

mcenroefan
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I heard this morning on ESPN that this year sets a new record for players over the age of 30 participating in the FO main draw.

One might read many things into this record but one of the things that I believe is that there is a dearth of superior talent in the 20-24 age category relative to previous eras....reminds me a bit of some eras in boxing. It also reminds me a bit of some eras in golf.

Thoughts?

SLD76
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
I heard this morning on ESPN that this year sets a new record for players over the age of 30 participating in the FO main draw.

One might read many things into this record but one of the things that I believe is that there is a dearth of superior talent in the 20-24 age category relative to previous eras....reminds me a bit of some eras in boxing. It also reminds me a bit of some eras in golf.

Thoughts?
Out Loud guess:
courts are slower+string technology= more physical game predicated on
stamina and movement vs power and shotmakings= older more experienced players have advantage over skilled young players who do not quite have the stamina and physicallity to compete.

( silent guess?....drugs)

Moose Malloy
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM

I read that it is a record for all majors, not just the French Open(37 men over 30 in the draw) IMO that is a truly astounding stat, when the Open Era started in 1968 it was dominated by older players like Laver, Roswall, etc. Teenagers/early 20s guys only started breaking through with Borg, Connors, Vilas a few years later. and that trend continued throughout the years until recently.

I'm not talking about young guys winning majors, but just young guys making the top 10, top 50, even the the top 100.

every year since 1973 there were some teenagers cracking the top 100 until 2008. No one did so in 2009 or 2010 either. That is simply amazing to me.

Because of this fact, I think it would be unwise to write off Fed from winning more majors. And god knows how many majors Nadal & Djokovic will end up with.

History has shown 2 things are primarily responsible for champions starting to 'decline.'

1) Injuries
2) Other great, younger players.

There is absolutely no evidence of #2 happening any time soon. Do posters here actually consider Tsonga or Berdych 'young' players? Even Raonic really isn't that young by the standards of the past.

I''ve heard the 'game is more physical' as a constant excuse why young players aren't doing better. Djokovic, Murray, & Nadal were all 19 when they cracked the top 10, was the game really not physical in 2005/2006? and Fed was 20 when he cracked top 10, Roddick was 19. Heck Berdych was 21.

In 2002, there were 11 men at the French Open who were 30 and over; this year 37 over-30s started the tournament

Moose Malloy
05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
courts are slower+string technology= more physical game predicated on
stamina and movement vs power and shotmakings= older more experienced players have advantage over skilled young players who do not quite have the stamina and physicallity to compete

weird that all through the 80s/90s(when guys were pretty much done by 27/28) all I heard was players & commentators say "its pretty hard for 30 year olds who have lost a step to compete with all these younger, fitter, faster players"
so what's changed? 30 year olds today magically aren't losing a step?

man, commentators are so predictable, they can come up with a spin for everything. bottomline: the guys born between '89 to '92 are subpar talents compared to the guys born '86 to '88. 19 year old nadal or djokovic or murray(even the cramping, vomiting Murray or heatstroke Djokovic) were simply much better players than dimtrov, tomic, nisikori etc

mcenroefan
05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with all of these sentiments...it's really fascinating.

The fact that guys like Verdasco are still winning a bunch of their matches is telling to me.

Mac was doing a mighty bit of spinning on it this morning!

BeHappy
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
The courts are slow, you don't need to be fast anymore, just to have very good stamina. Stamina peaks at around 30 for most professional runners (1500m to marathon).

Look at Bernard Tomic, no way could he play pro tennis 10 years ago, his movement is incredibly bad. He is actually the slowest player I have ever seen.