PDA

View Full Version : Does Monfils have enough talent to be world number one?

Babolatbarry
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
or possibly top 5

jm1980
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Monfils at #1? Tall order, considering his record against:

Djokovic: 0-8 (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MC65&oId=D643)
Nadal: 2-8 (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MC65&oId=N409)
Federer: 1-6 (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MC65&oId=F324)

Li Ching Yuen
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Time to stop looking at his lean muscles and more at his actual game.

Also wake up.

Babolatbarry
05-31-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't look at his muscles? Time for you to stop making false assumptions

Loose Cannon
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Does Monfils have enough talent to be France's number One?

Fixed...

Babolatbarry
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I think if Gasquet could get it together and find more passion for the sport and work then he could be france's number one. Beautiful Game

WhiskeyEE
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
No. He doesn't. I'm amazed he's managed to do as well as he has. Every time I see him play I'm shocked by how bad he is.

BeHappy
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Apart from his serve all his strokes are the worst I've ever seen at pro level. I don't think his forehand is better than Murray's or Ljubijic's, who both hit just as big as him but both have to push it to keep it in the court.

Incredible athlete, but has he improved at ANYTHING since he was 16?

Babolatbarry
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
He can blister the forehand when he wants to though!

BeHappy
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
He can blister the forehand when he wants to though!

Like Murray. He can't hit it inside the court though.

Hood_Man
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
That ridiculous between the legs shot he dumped into the net against Djokovic at break point down in the US Open a few years ago, would suggest to me that he does not.

He's far too crazy, and even though he played really well to beat Fedal 3 times, that doesn't necessarily prove anything except that sometimes very good players can play way above their usual level.

LeeD
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Is it talent that makes an incredible athlete get good?
Does he need a dose of reality?
Does he need common sense?
Does he need maturity?
Does he need a practical mind?
Let's see, he's got ONE of the above.

Russeljones
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
One of the most overrated players here.

tennisconsultcom
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Gal Monfils is already the greatest athlete. But he has never won a major. Monfils is not ready to be number one. He needs discipline.

Evan77
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Is it talent that makes an incredible athlete get good?
Does he need a dose of reality?
Does he need common sense?
Does he need maturity?
Does he need a practical mind?
Let's see, he's got ONE of the above.
lolz, good post. No, Monfils will never get to #1, not even top 5, me thinks :).

yeah, he is moving well etc. but there are too many holes in his game ... or shall say too many holes in his brain :twisted:

SStrikerR
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
This question is moot. Talent doesn't make anybody #1

Mainad
05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I think he has the talent. He just doesn't have the mentality or the discipline.
A great athlete but more of an entertainer than a serious player with serious ambitions.

His athleticism, moreover, seems to be a two-edged sword as he suffers from almost constant injury. He's absent from every other tournament because of it. So it seems he does not even look after his body too well.

The fact that he has been in the top 10 testifies to his potential. But it looks like a potential that will never be completely reached due to the above factors.

rainingaces
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Making the WTF would be a start lol

PCXL-Fan
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
I think if Gasquet could get it together and find more passion for the sport and work then he could be france's number one. Beautiful Game

As someone who's done a bit of research into cocaine users, the mild damage Gasquet did to himself cognitively by taking cocaine a few years back manifests itself in the top echelon of sports where even a minute 1-2% difference in performance means top 10 vs top 20. He's not able to hold his nerves and gets flustered more easily than when he was younger circa 2007.

BeHappy
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
As someone who's done a bit of research into cocaine users, the mild damage Gasquet did to himself cognitively by taking cocaine a few years back manifests itself in the top echelon of sports where even a minute 1-2% difference in performance means top 10 vs top 20. He's not able to hold his nerves and gets flustered more easily than when he was younger circa 2007.

Are you serious?

That could explain John McEnroe too, Martina Hingis etc.

Zildite
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
In padel tennis

fps
06-01-2012, 03:04 AM
There's no such thing as pure talent, it has to be applied, channelled and honed in order to be meaningful.

Nathaniel_Near
06-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Not even close.

Gorecki
06-01-2012, 03:31 AM
in thegame of chiquilho, Monosifilis is a top 5

robbo1970
06-01-2012, 03:49 AM
It would be nice to have a number 1 who is not achingly boring to watch.

Djokovic is a nice guy, but my goodness he is boring to watch. Its almost as if he bores his opponents into making errors.

Just my opinion, nothing else.

kishnabe
06-01-2012, 05:25 AM
It doesn't matter how much talent in the world you have, if you don't have the brain to use it!

Evan77
06-01-2012, 06:04 AM
It would be nice to have a number 1 who is not achingly boring to watch.

Djokovic is a nice guy, but my goodness he is boring to watch. Its almost as if he bores his opponents into making errors.

Just my opinion, nothing else.
BS. Djoko is fun to watch. define boring please? if you don't want to watch Djoko go watch something that is not boring to you. who the hell do you want to be #1 and super interesting? what a stupid post.

and when you say 'it's almost as if he bores his opponents into making errors' ... I feel like throwing up ... you know ***** about tennis.

Andres
06-01-2012, 06:18 AM
BS. Djoko is fun to watch. define boring please? if you don't want to watch Djoko go watch something that is not boring to you. who the hell do you want to be #1 and super interesting? what a stupid post.

and when you say 'it's almost as if he bores his opponents into making errors' ... I feel like throwing up ... you know ***** about tennis.
... said the guy who says the exact same things about Nadal.

Evan77
06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
... said the guy who says the exact same things about Nadal.
well, that's why I don't really watch Nadal's matches any more. time wasting and other BS he gets away with is ..... (you insert the word) ... all you Latin guys know is, NADAL, NADAL ... that's boring my friend.

another thing, here is Nadal is just a grinder and a pusher. most of matches he won on clay and even hc, he simply waited for his oponents to make UE. I do NOT like that style, never will. Djoko plays great defense but he is much more aggressive player than Nadal. he turns defense to offense like nobody else in the world.

LuckyR
06-01-2012, 07:16 AM
If tennis was about hitting balls: yes, sure he could. Unfortunately for him, tennis is a Mental game that just happens to use racquets and balls. His career is a perfect example of how tennis is so much more than just athletics.

srinrajesh
06-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Nope.. He could reach the Top 5 if the others slip up and he remains injury free..

Drrjjj
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
He is overloaded with talent, he just needs more discipline and focus

coloskier
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Talent?? Possibly
Brain?? NO chance

NadalAgassi
06-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I dont know about #1 but he sure as heck has alot more talent than what his results have produced. He is one of the most athletic players in history. He has a huge serve that can produce 30 plus aces a match when serving well. He once had the fastest ever clocked forehand. His athleticsm, serve, and forehand alone should make him a top 5 player, but he wastes his potential by playing a Conchita Martinez like retrieving game from way behind the baseline, and thus has to settle for merely being a random top 15 player, even once he sort of got his act together a few years back.

TheBoom
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
He doesn't have enough discipline. He can hit well and move well and come up with rediculous shots but he is really streaky. Whenever I watch his matches I pull my hair out because I see lots of times he could pull the trigger but instead doesn't. He can put himself in the right positions but never can get to that next level

Spider
06-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Monfils doesn't have talent. Full stop.

He is in the wrong sport.

nadal_slam_king
06-03-2012, 12:58 AM
or possibly top 5

Monfils has the same physical talent as Djokovic. We'll see if he can develop mentally the way Djokovic did.

fps
06-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Monfils has the same physical talent as Djokovic. We'll see if he can develop mentally the way Djokovic did.

Oh rubbish, he has nowhere near Djokovic's stamina or his strokes.

Talent doesn't exist in a vacuum it's a combination of many different things, some of which Monfils doesn't have and now it looks like he will never have them.

nadal_slam_king
06-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Djokovic didn't have Djokovic's stamina until 2011. He was a retirement and quitting machine. So who are we to predict what Monfils will do? Monfils definitely has Djokovic's athletic ability in terms of flexibility. Shots, well hard to say, because Monfils looks lethal when he attacks. He just doesn't attack enough. Djokovic's confidence increased in 2011 too, and if Monfils was more confident he will attack more.

JorgeLobo
06-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Monfils has the talent - but not (or has not invested) commitment or focus to be #1. He's not boring BECAUSE he prioritizes ego as show boating over winning. His game has not improved as he has not addressed lesser effective aspects of his game and has offered no improvements to appliction nof hs skills. You can count on him playing well behind the baseline, relying on speed and his dramatic splits and fading late in the draw.

mental midget
06-03-2012, 05:22 AM
he's got low body fat and can run and jump, but i think guys like federer, murray, nadal are better overall athletes in terms of coordination, balance, body control.

kiki
06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I think, if he was at a cyrcus, he may get to n 1.

MindoverMatter
06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
If we're just talking about pure, athletic talent, then I will say it again - I think Monfis has the most talent out of every single person in the ATP. He was born with a body that is only granted to one person out of a million. And what does he do with it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He rides the top 15 with pure talent alone, but that is simply not enough to make you Number 1.

*Val*
06-03-2012, 07:44 AM
I think, if he was at a cyrcus, he may get to n 1.

lol 10char

TheFifthSet
06-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Monfils doesn't have talent. Full stop.

He is in the wrong sport.

Well said. I'd say Monfils is extraordinary "talented" . . . but not for tennis. Would've been a better basketball player.

BeHappy
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
If we're just talking about pure, athletic talent, then I will say it again - I think Monfis has the most talent out of every single person in the ATP. He was born with a body that is only granted to one person out of a million. And what does he do with it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He rides the top 15 with pure talent alone, but that is simply not enough to make you Number 1.

Gilles Simon is even faster I think.

abmk
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM

there are something known as strokes - BH and FH, novak is far superior in both ... and there is the return as well , where novak is by some distance superior ...

Just because both of them slide like nuts, doesn't mean their physical talent is same .....

1970CRBase
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
imo, Monfils is another player playing in the wrong era, this is an era of the power grinder sideways game type which is the most dominant in the current slowish element combined with big powerful racquets and spinny strings. He'd be top 4 along with Tsonga, Mahut and Federer if the playing courts suited forward flowing big serve volleyers as much as they overwhelmingly favour sideways grinders today.

tlm
06-03-2012, 05:48 PM
or possibly top 5

Him reaching #1 is one of the funniest things i have ever heard.