PDA

View Full Version : Kusnetsova: "return to Spanish style effective"

barnes1172
06-01-2012, 08:25 AM
http://tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=17967&zoneid=6

What exactly does she mean by playing in the "Spanish-style"?
Relying on heavy topspin forehands?
Running around backhands to hit a forehand?
Playing further back from the baseline?

Could someone post a link to her playing in this style? (v. playing in a "non-Spanish" style?)

zcarzach
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
It means boring your opponents to death with heavy topspin forehands, waiting until your opponent makes an error because he fell asleep, then you celebrate like you cured cancer.

BeHappy
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
It means playing like Sam Stosur and hitting topspin drive forehands instead of flat forehands.

sureshs
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
It means having a Golden Career Slam

Cup8489
06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxc0bmd4WWg

TennisCJC
06-01-2012, 09:42 AM
It means Knet is having a pre-match meal of gambas over pasta with Spanish Olive Oil as a dressing which is Rafa's favorite meal.

TennisCJC
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
The olive oil keeps the joints lubricated for all those bollo forehand folllow throughs over the head.

barnes1172
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
However, unlike Nadal, she is not a lefty, and cannot make forehands curve in a left-to-right trajectory

dudeski
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
It means boring your opponents to death with heavy topspin forehands, waiting until your opponent makes an error because he fell asleep, then you celebrate like you cured cancer.

This.

10youforgotocds

Laurie
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM

:lol::lol:

Milan
06-01-2012, 10:55 AM

well there are already many cures to cancer (Vitamin b17, MMS, Shark Cartilage, Essiac, etc.) I guess you just don't know about them.

As for hitting with heavy top spin forehands, everyone does that. Players on the tour now are able to also drive the ball. Very rarely do players just play defense, Even Nadal & Djokovic (defensive players first), can open the court up and finish points. In women's tennis, rarely do players play high and heavy spin, besides Schiavone.

OddJack
06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
She means she is doping?

mellowyellow
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
This^^^^^^^

barnes1172
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Guys, thanks for all the joke responses, but some responses with actual analysis of her tennis game would be appreciated.

The guy who posted the video of Nadal was not bad.

Sid_Vicious
06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxc0bmd4WWg

Can't blame him. He knows what can happen if he plays too frequently to Federer's forehand on a fast/low-bouncing court.

If it was Roddick, he would have been charging the net after hitting forehand chips to Federer's forehand side.

Ralph
06-01-2012, 06:27 PM

So good that I've had to paraphrase it for my new signature, as is there are too many characters.

Ralph
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Still holding onto that lollipop of the Olympics?

It means diddly squat in tennis, and as I've said before, you know that.

But how I will laugh if Roger or Novak take it this year :-)

Where will you turn to then? Chuckle, chuckle...

Wolfman Jack
06-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Two questions: Why are you quoting Popeye (Chuckle, chuckle)?
And, is your girlfriend OK with you photoshopping her face on Nadal's body in your avatar?

abmk
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM

ha ha, LOL ... :)

Sentinel
06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
If NOle wins the Calendar Slam, then your CAREER slam is gonna look awfully lame :). You can thank Roger for stopping Nole from winning a real Grand Slam.

Ralph
06-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Two questions: Why are you quoting Popeye (Chuckle, chuckle)?
And, is your girlfriend OK with you photoshopping her face on Nadal's body in your avatar?

Question 1 answer: Well, if you are allowed to idol someone who took things to increase his muscle size, then so am I :)

Question 2 answer: You mean, is my boyfriend? And yes, he is. Well, since his hair cut.

above bored
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
http://tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=17967&zoneid=6

What exactly does she mean by playing in the "Spanish-style"?
Relying on heavy topspin forehands?
Running around backhands to hit a forehand?
Playing further back from the baseline?

Could someone post a link to her playing in this style? (v. playing in a "non-Spanish" style?)
She means more consistent and less aggressive. In other words more margin for error, more topspin and net clearance. Less risky play.

Wolfman Jack
06-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Question 1 answer: Well, if you are allowed to idol someone who took things to increase his muscle size, then so am I :)

Question 2 answer: You mean, is my boyfriend? And yes, he is. Well, since his hair cut.
Well, that shut me up. I commend you, woman!

Sentinel
06-02-2012, 12:14 AM

What's more did Ralph ever win the WTF in the same year as he won 3 slams ?

Oh wait ...

Ralph
06-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Well, that shut me up. I commend you, woman!

And I Sir, commend you, for the friendly banter :)

PS Jack N, what a guy! :)

Ralph
06-02-2012, 12:28 AM
What's more did Ralph ever win the WTF?

Arguably, the rest was surplus ;)

mellowyellow
06-02-2012, 05:24 AM
If NOle wins the Calendar Slam, then your CAREER slam is gonna look awfully lame :). You can thank Roger for stopping Nole from winning a real Grand Slam.

The hypothetical we will never know, can Rafa actually beat Fed in a semi and then Djoko in the final.