PDA

View Full Version : David Goffin?

MindoverMatter
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Really? Not a single thread at all about David Goffin, the lucky loser who is about to advance to the fourth round of RG after not even getting past the qualifiers for any other major? You would think there would be some more buzz about this guy, I hadn't even heard of him before this but have been watching him and he's been playing really well. Who knows if this will translate into anything outside of this tournament, but we might be looking at our slam winner.

tennis_pro
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
There are at least 5 "Goffin to win the FO" threads.

stringertom
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I thought he was an aging entertainment mogul embarking on a second career...oh, wait that's David Geffen.

Seriously, he's clutch and has talent but the second week of a major is a different world. Ask Milos about his AO'11 run. Goffin may have been able to jumpstart '12 after his surprise QF @ Chennai but got bumped in AO qualies by Rufin in the 2nd round. After that, not so much til these last three matches.

MindoverMatter
06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe you're looking where I'm not, but there aren't any "Goffin to win the FO" threads. And this isn't even one of them, I'm just saying that nobody is really talking about an up-and-comer who could possibly (or possibly not) amount to something after building off of the momentum he is making here, and there is even a very small chance he could win the whole thing if the planets align and his horoscope is good ;)

Warmaster
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
There were some threads about him in the results section.

He'll move to #64 (+45) in the rankings and he's already sitting on #43 in the race. Pretty good, he'll no longer need to play qualies at this rate.

It just shows how once in a while you need a bit of luck in sports. Grats to him for making the most out of being a lucky loser!

decades
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
he was my dark-horse pick to get to the 4th round. I just never told anyone.

r2473
06-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Another nightmare matchup for Fed.

I'm not sure how many tough matches in a row like this Fed can handle.

joeri888
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
People don't give a **** about someone not Djokovic, Federer, Nadal or MUrray. And that's too bad. Great little kid. I think he will be good on clay, but he'll need to get stronger if he is to be very good on other surfaces as well.Still, we shouldn't forget he lost in qualifying and had a somewhat doable draw.

Shaolin
06-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Would have loved to have seen some coverage of Goffin or even mention of him. Unfortunately I live in the USA where tv execs have decided I need nonstop coverage of the Williams sisters and Isner.

jdubbs
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I kinda rode the Brian Baker phenomenon into the ground. Not ready to take on another player at this point.

The Bawss
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Federer to tough it out in 5sets vs Goffin, I am still confident though as the extra experience will probably save him in the end.

underground
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
The talk will just stop when Fed bagels him.

Tcbtennis
06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
When I was at the Miami tournament in March, I saw this young kid who looked about 15-16 years old, very slightly built on the practice courts. Nobody was paying much attention to him. I wondered how did this kid get to hit on a practice court. Later on that day I went to watch Almagro play and lo and behold he is playing this kid who turns out to be 21 years old. He had a lot more game than I expected based on his size and was able to put up a fight against Almagro, until Almagro was able to take control of the match. It's neat to see him make it to week #2, unfortunately to meet the great Fed. I'm sure that he is enjoying the experience. I heard that he formally requested a wild card for Wimbledon.

Sentinel
06-02-2012, 07:09 AM
This is unfair, didn't know hobbits could sneak into the affair of men. Roger won't be able to see him behind the net.

he was my dark-horse pick to get to the 4th round. I just never told anyone.
lolol

Another nightmare matchup for Fed.

I'm not sure how many tough matches in a row like this Fed can handle.
Yup brutal draw ... Mahut and now Coffin.

mmk
06-02-2012, 09:05 AM
It is really hard to look at Goffin and think that he is a year and a half older than Harrison, and just a half year younger than Wozniaki.

Mustard
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Hasn't David Goffin now equalled the record of being a lucky loser who's advanced the furthest in a major? Dick Norman at 1995 Wimbledon was a lucky loser who reached the Round of 16 by beating Pat Cash, Stefan Edberg and Todd Woodbridge, before losing to Boris Becker.

The Bawss
06-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Hasn't David Goffin now equalled the record of being a wildcard who's advanced the furthest in a major? Dick Norman at 1995 Wimbledon was a lucky loser who reached the Round of 16 by beating Pat Cash, Stefan Edberg and Todd Woodbridge, before losing to Boris Becker.

He's about to break it after he edges Roger in 4 tight sets tomorrow.

F. Perry
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Would have loved to have seen some coverage of Goffin or even mention of him. Unfortunately I live in the USA where tv execs have decided I need nonstop coverage of the Williams sisters and Isner.

Totally agree. But I watched all of the Goffin/Kubot match streaming on ESPN3. It's there if you want to watch it. Goffin certainly has some Belgians present to cheer him on.