PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam cake winner?

BigForehand
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Out of all 4 Grand Slams, which ones have given Nadal the easiest cakewalk draws over the years?

I think RG takes the cake, the 2010 draw is hard to beat in the cake department, although USO 2010 wasn't too much better. But overall RG was the nicest, I'm not saying they get paid off but that's just what the statistics show.

Speaking of statistics, what was the average rank of opponents for some of these slams, anyone got data? It would be interesting to see...

jwjh
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_omzT8WXq8Cw/THp6LdK4bII/AAAAAAAAAgE/makwkBYKw0o/s200/cakewalkhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_omzT8WXq8Cw/THp6LdK4bII/AAAAAAAAAgE/makwkBYKw0o/s200/cakewalkhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_omzT8WXq8Cw/THp6LdK4bII/AAAAAAAAAgE/makwkBYKw0o/s200/cakewalkhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_omzT8WXq8Cw/THp6LdK4bII/AAAAAAAAAgE/makwkBYKw0o/s200/cakewalk

batz
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Out of all 4 Grand Slams, which ones have given Nadal the easiest cakewalk draws over the years?

I think RG takes the cake, the 2010 draw is hard to beat in the cake department, although USO 2010 wasn't too much better. But overall RG was the nicest, I'm not saying they get paid off but that's just what the statistics show.

Speaking of statistics, what was the average rank of opponents for some of these slams, anyone got data? It would be interesting to see...

Roger plays a lucky loser in R4 and won't play top 30 player until the QFs and you make a poast about Rafa's draw?:shock:

r2473
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
http://gototennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Roger_Federer_birthday_cake.jpg

Hood_Man
06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I thought this thread was asking for suggestions on what to do when someone wins 4 in a row/in the same year. Give them cake.

Clarky21
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Roger plays a lucky loser in R4 and won't play top 30 player until the QFs and you make a poast about Rafa's draw?:shock:

Exactly. Nadal has the toughest draw at RG this year out of the top 3. Look at the guy Prilosec played today. He is ranked 286th in the world and is 32 years old. Such a tough opponent for him right? Gtfo :roll:

Fed's draw is pure cake until the quarters,and even then it depends if he gets Berdych or Delpo because Delpo is his pigeon in a big way. Nadal has Raonic in the 4th round,Almagro in his quarter,and either Ferrer or Murray in the semi. Who has the cake draw again? Because it certainly isn't Nadal.

Bud
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Another fantabulous BigForehead thread! :)

BTW, I've seen other people average the rankings of a player's draw through 7 rounds. Too many variables can throw it off, making it a poor statistical tool, IMO.

A better (but still far from perfect) method, IMO, would be to average the rankings of each top four's draw from the QF to the SF or final (assuming they make it that far). Every top 4 player is expected to make it to at least the QF. If a top four player loses in the QF and fails to make the SF, they underperformed and shouldn't be included. This method drops most WC's, qualifiers and Lucky Losers (which can greatly skew the average) as few of those guys make it beyond the QF.

So, go back on past tournaments and average the top four's draws from the QF to the final.

Ico
06-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Exactly. Nadal has the toughest draw at RG this year out of the top 3. Look at the guy Prilosec played today. He is ranked 286th in the world and is 32 years old. Such a tough opponent for him right? Gtfo :roll:

Fed's draw is pure cake until the quarters,and even then it depends if he gets Berdych or Delpo because Delpo is his pigeon in a big way. Nadal has a Raonic in the 4th round,Almagro in his quarter,and either Ferrer or Murray in the semi. Who has the cake draw again? Because it certainly isn't Nadal.

... Are you for real?

Gtfo :roll:

Clarky21
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
... Are you for real?

Yep,I sure am. How funny you totally ignore the rest of my post. Who has the easiest draw of the top 3 up until the semis? Nadal,who has to play Raonic in the 4th round? Fed,who won't even face anyone on the top 30 until the quarters? Or Prilosec,whose draw is so cake,I don't even know who he will face in the 4th round? Who has the easiest quarter between Prilosec and Nadal? Nadal,who has Almagro or Prilosec who has Tsonga? What about if Fed gets Delpo in his quarter? We all know he is not only injured,but Fed's pigeon as well.

WhiskeyEE
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Yep,I sure am. How funny you totally ignore the rest of my post. Who has the easiest draw of the top 3 up until the semis? Nadal,who has to play Raonic in the 4th round? Fed,who won't even face anyone on the top 30 until the quarters? Or Prilosec,whose draw is so cake,I don't even know who he will face in the 4th round? Who has the easiest quarter between Prilosec and Nadal? Nadal,who has Almagro or Prilosec who has Tsonga? What about if Fed gets Delpo in his quarter? We all know he is not only injured,but Fed's pigeon as well.

The same Almagro who is 0-15 against the top 3? He has never beaten a top 3 player and never will. He sucks. Tsonga isn't great on clay, but I think he poses the better chance of an upset than Almagro.

Draws up until the quarters are meaningless anyway. No one outside of the top 10 stands a chance of beating any of the top 3 at RG. Drawing Berdych in the quarters and cake up until that point is worse than drawing a couple of 20-30 ranked nobodies.

BigForehand
06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Berdych Delpotro Djokovic... yep easy draw

Almagro and Ferrer ... tough draw

i love it..

Clarky21
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
The same Almagro who is 0-15 against the top 3? He has never beaten a top 3 player and never will. He sucks. Tsonga isn't great on clay, but I think he poses the better chance of an upset than Almagro.Draws up until the quarters are meaningless anyway. No one outside of the top 10 stands a chance of beating any of the top 3 at RG. Drawing Berdych in the quarters and cake up until that point is worse than drawing a couple of 20-30 ranked nobodies.

Not on clay. Tsonga is miserable on clay,and stands no chance at beating Rolaids in the quarters if he even makes it there. Almagro is a clay courter through and through,and has been playing some pretty good tennis lately. The same cannot be said for Tsonga.

I disagree. Raonic stands a very good chance at upsetting one of the top players. Especially Nadal who can't return for sh*t,and has no serve of his own to speak of. Raonic is going to trouble Nadal in the 4th round,and I think he is going to pull the upset like Soderling did in the same round in 2009.

TopFH
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Although I did not watch Nadal's match, the fact that it lasted 2 hours being a super blowout means something.

Clarky21
06-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Although I did not watch Nadal's match, the fact that it lasted 2 hours being a super blowout means something.

What? That he's a timewaster,cheater,moonballer,tennis murderer,Satan,etc... :lol:

BreakPoint
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes, because it's totally Federer's fault that Roddick, Nalbandian, Stepanek, and Lopez didn't hold up their ends of the bargain. :???:

SStrikerR
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Draw means the players who they were expected to face, so you can't discount players who didn't make it far enough. Anyway, I love how this thread had nothing to do with RG12, until some idiot got butthurt because he took it as a shot at Nadal.

Andyroddickfan
06-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Let's be serious here. Talking about cake draws, look at jokers French open draw this year. Might as well have been given a bye till the quarters. What a joke.

clayman2000
06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Nadals 10 slam wins:
- 7 wins over Roger Federer
- 4 wins over Novak Djokovic
- 3 wins over Andy Murray

Nadal beats names

Wolfman Jack
06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I guess because Roger always played non-GOATs his draws had more cake on them than Mirka's side of the bed. GOAT vs non-GOAT? No fair! :)

sbengte
06-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Yes, it has to be RG. Except one time in 2009 when unaware of the consequences, they served up what they thought was harmless banana pie in the draw and Ralph promptly choked on it.

TopFH
06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
What? That he's a timewaster,cheater,moonballer,tennis murderer,Satan,etc... :lol:

I meant that scores often lie, you idiot.

Spider
06-01-2012, 09:03 PM
The current Federer draw is a joke. And yet he won't win the tournament.

Clarky21
06-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I meant that scores often lie, you idiot.

Unnecessary,but coming from the likes of you I am not surprised.

abmk
06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
The current Federer draw is a joke. And yet he won't win the tournament.

its a joke until QF ... but his QF/SF are by some distance tougher than rafa's

berydch/delpo in the QF vs almagro/tipsy in the QF ?
djoker in the SF vs ferrer/murray/gasquet in the SF ?

Spider
06-01-2012, 09:26 PM
its a joke until QF ... but his QF/SF are by some distance tougher than rafa's

berydch/delpo in the QF vs almagro/tipsy in the QF ?
djoker in the SF vs ferrer/murray/gasquet in the SF ?

Quarters, yes.

Semi, no. If Murray makes it (injury free).

abmk
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Quarters, yes.

Semi, no. If Murray makes it (injury free).

ha ha, LOL, so now murray is better/tougher than djoker on clay ?

Spider
06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
ha ha, LOL, so now murray is better/tougher than djoker on clay ?

Not that. But Federer has beaten Djokovic in the past on clay. He hasn't beaten Murray on clay.

Djokovic is a very difficult opponent, but at least, from Federer's perspective, he knows what it takes to get the job done (as he has done it on clay).

WhiskeyEE
06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Not that. But Federer has beaten Djokovic in the past on clay. He hasn't beaten Murray on clay.

Djokovic is a very difficult opponent, but at least, from Federer's perspective, he knows what it takes to get the job done (as he has done it on clay).

By that logic, Granollers is a tougher opponent for Fed than Joker is.

abmk
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM

fed hasn't beat murray on clay because he hasn't faced him ... He very well knows how to get it done vs murray, who hasn't even made a single clay court masters final or won a single clay court title ....

hell, both of fed's potential QFs , berdych and delpo , if playing well are bigger threats on clay than any of murray or ferrer or gasquet ...

Spider
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
By that logic, Granollers is a tougher opponent for Fed than Joker is.

Granollers is no Murray. Murray has beaten Federer, multiple times on other surfaces, and is someone who Federer hasn't faced on clay.

Spider
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
fed hasn't beat murray on clay because he hasn't faced him ... He also knows how to get it done vs murray, who hasn't even made a single clay court masters final or won a single clay court title ....

hell, both of fed's potential QFs , berdych and delpo , if playing well are bigger threats on clay than either of murray or ferrer ...

No way. Murray has proven to be a consistent performer in the last couple of years, at the slam events. Something that injury prone one slam wonder hasn't and neither has Berdych.

TopFH
06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Unnecessary,but coming from the likes of you I am not surprised.

Who else is "the likes of you"?

DMan
[QUOTE=Clarky21;6585978]Exactly. Nadal has the toughest draw at RG this year out of the top 3. Look at the guy Prilosec played today. He is ranked 286th in the world and is 32 years old. Such a tough opponent for him right? Gtfo :roll:

Fed's draw is pure cake until the quarters,and even then it depends if he gets Berdych or Delpo because Delpo is his pigeon in a big way. Nadal has Raonic in the 4th round,Almagro in his quarter,and either Ferrer or Murray in the sem

*********s don't even know what cake is.

abmk
No way. Murray has proven to be a consistent performer in the last couple of years, at the slam events. Something that injury prone one slam wonder hasn't and neither has Berdych.

we are talking about clay here, murray's worst surface ....

berdych has handed murray multiple beatdowns on clay, including one in RG in 2010 ...

IIRC delpo also beat murray the only time they played on clay ... his run/play in 2009 RG was far better than anything murray has remotely shown on clay ...

Towser83
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Fed's draw is pure cake until the quarters,and even then it depends if he gets Berdych or Delpo because Delpo is his pigeon in a big way. Nadal has Raonic in the 4th round,Almagro in his quarter,and either Ferrer or Murray in the semi. Who has the cake draw again? Because it certainly isn't Nadal.

I take it Prilosec is Djokovic lol. I don't get this, you keep moaning about Djokovic's draws but insist he will beat everyone anyway (which was true last year) so whay does the draw even matter?

Anyway Djokovic has earned a few easy draws after being put in Fed's half for practically every bloody hardcourt slam he's ever played, and nadal's half for nearly every french open apart from 2009 when Nadal lost early and last year when Fed was more dangerous to Djokovic than nadal and of course this year..

Plus last year's US Open, Aussie Open, IW, Rome draws were tricky.

Not on clay. Tsonga is miserable on clay,and stands no chance at beating Rolaids in the quarters if he even makes it there. Almagro is a clay courter through and through,and has been playing some pretty good tennis lately. The same cannot be said for Tsonga.

I disagree. Raonic stands a very good chance at upsetting one of the top players. Especially Nadal who can't return for sh*t,and has no serve of his own to speak of. Raonic is going to trouble Nadal in the 4th round,and I think he is going to pull the upset like Soderling did in the same round in 2009.

Neither Almagro or Tsonga have much chance of beating a top 4 3 player at RG. Tsonga is better all round but sucks on clay so probably won't make it, so yes Almagro is slightly tougher but shouldn't beat Djokovic, Fed or Nadal.

However Raonic hasn't got a prayer against Nadal (nor Djokovic) he can't even take a set of Nadal on hardcourt, how do you imagine he will upset nadal on clay? That's laughable. In 2 meetings with Nadal on hardcourt he has never managed to hold serve for a whole set, nor break nadal. Unless nadal's knees explode, it aint happening.

Not to mention he is playing Monaco who I expect to beat Raonic in 4 or 5 sets.

ps

To answer the posters question, RG 2010 was the most cakewalk draw I can remember. But Nadal always beats everyone anyway, so it's not like it really mattered, he doesn't need an easy draw at RG :lol:

10is
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Those who wring their hands in despair about "joke" draws should make up their minds whether to assess the relative strength of a draw for a player apriori before the start of a tournament or dynamically round by round based on the quality of upcoming opposition.

Federer had (as usual) one of the more tougher draws on paper before the tournament started -- its disingenuous to decry the strength of his draw now when those potential trouble-making encounters have not manifested due the opponents having been knocked out of the tournament.

It has to be either/or -- it seems ***** want to have their cake and eat it too.

abmk
06-01-2012, 10:11 PM

so you mention that delpo , who has beaten both fed and nadal at a slam is fed's pigeon ?

but don't mention almagro or for that matter tipsy are rafa's pigeons ??

interesting ...

ferrer or murray in the semis is tougher than djoker or federer ( each other ) in the semis , right ? :lol:

till R3, all three have it easy , obviously R4, raonic for nadal is the toughest , but if monaco manages to beat him, then there isn't much to talk about at all ...

QF in terms of toughness, federer (berdych/delpo)>> nadal(almagro/tipsy) >djoker (tsonga )

SF ... federer/djoker ( each other ) >> nadal (murray/ferrer/gasquet )

WhiskeyEE
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Granollers is no Murray. Murray has beaten Federer, multiple times on other surfaces, and is someone who Federer hasn't faced on clay.

And Murray is no Djokovic, especially not on clay. Joker has beaten Fed on clay and has multiple masters titles on the surface. Murray doesn't. Like I said, I was using your logic, not mine.

Feather
06-01-2012, 10:31 PM
However Raonic hasn't got a prayer against Nadal (nor Djokovic) he can't even take a set of Nadal on hardcourt, how do you imagine he will upset nadal on clay? That's laughable. In 2 meetings with Nadal on hardcourt he has never managed to hold serve for a whole set, nor break nadal. Unless nadal's knees explode, it aint happening.

Raonic has improved a lot. Please don't rely on those two hard court meetings between Rafa and Raonic and say that it would be a cake walk for Rafa.

I honestly don't think Rafa will lose to Raonic at RG. I am not even sure whether Raonic wins against Monaco. I however feel that Raonic can trouble anyone on his day. It would be a very interesting to watch that match if Rafa and Raonic play. People who expect a walk in the park for Rafa would be HIGHLY surprised. Raonic can challenge any top player in the world.

christinamaniac7
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Anyways, Rafa is the king of clay so it doesn't matter who is on his side at least at RG...

Feather
06-01-2012, 11:20 PM
so you mention that delpo , who has beaten both fed and nadal at a slam is fed's pigeon ?

but don't mention almagro or for that matter tipsy are rafa's pigeons ??

interesting ...

ferrer or murray in the semis is tougher than djoker or federer ( each other ) in the semis , right ? :lol:

till R3, all three have it easy , obviously R4, raonic for nadal is the toughest , but if monaco manages to beat him, then there isn't much to talk about at all ...

QF in terms of toughness, federer (berdych/delpo)>> nadal(almagro/tipsy) >djoker (tsonga )

SF ... federer/djoker ( each other ) >> nadal (murray/ferrer/gasquet )

Very well said. Someone posted few days back that Roger and Novak are on the same side of the half fifteen times out of last eighteen semi finals. So Roger and Novak have to fight for one final berth while Rafa has an easy path fifteen times out of eighteen in the last eighteen slams. No wonder these many final appearances for Rafa :)

christinamaniac7
06-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Very well said. Someone posted few days back that Roger and Novak are on the same side of the half fifteen times out of last eighteen semi finals. So Roger and Novak have to fight for one final berth while Rafa has an easy path fifteen times out of eighteen in the last eighteen slams. No wonder these many final appearances for Rafa :)

Rafa reaching GS finals constantly shows his consistency not an easy draw for god's sake!!

It's ridiculous how fed fans pretend his draws tough while he wins and rafa's draws as cake win whenever he wins or has good chances of winning!! Yet, fed is the only one of the two who constantly gets Walkovers and LLs and still complaining bout the draws!!

Towser83
06-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Not to mention he is playing Monaco who I expect to beat Raonic in 4 or 5 sets.

I called it. Now i suppose clarky will start saying Monaco will beat Nadal lol.

"why not? Have you seen the way Nadal has been playing? Monaco is dangerous and if verdasco can beat Nadal, why not Monaco?"

Sounds about right.

Clarky21
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I called it. Now i suppose clarky will start saying Monaco will beat Nadal lol.

"why not? Have you seen the way Nadal has been playing? Monaco is dangerous and if verdasco can beat Nadal, why not Monaco?"

Sounds about right.

Sorry,but Nadal isn't playing that great imo. He is the only one in the top 3 who I think could be upset early. I'm not sure why you find it so offensive that I think Rolaids has already won RG,and that Nadal is playing like crap. Did you see Nadal's match today? It was abysmal.

billnepill
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Sorry,but Nadal isn't playing that great imo. He is the only one in the top 3 who I think could be upset early. I'm not sure why you find it so offensive that I think Rolaids has already won RG,and that Nadal is playing like crap. Did you see Nadal's match today? It was abysmal.

I feel like you haven't watched Nadal play recently. Or maybe Rolaids has caused you brain damage which could explain a lot

Clarky21
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I feel like you haven't watched Nadal play recently. Or maybe Rolaids has caused you brain damage which could explain a lot

No,I HAVE watched him play,which is how I know he hasn't been that great. Rolaids has outplayed him by quite a margin.

billnepill
06-02-2012, 03:04 PM
No,I HAVE watched him play,which is how I know he hasn't been that great. Rolaids has outplayed him by quite a margin.

When? The last 2 times they played each other? Stop it right here.

Clarky21
06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
When? The last 2 times they played each other? Stop it right here.

You mean Zombievak? Because that certainly was a pale imitation if it wasn't. Besides,I wasn't talking about those matches;I was talking about so far at RG.

Towser83
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM

yeah that's why he hasn't dropped a set on red clay so far this year.. see what you don't understand is as bad as Nadal can play on clay he will still beat nearly everyone most of the time. the upsets since 2005 are ferrero, soderling and verdasco which wasn't even clay according to Nadal fans. so 2 upsets in 8 years, both with issues with his physical condition.

There is NO ONE in his half who can pull off an upset (delpo might have had a shot) and as i predicted raonic who you thought would beat Nadal, got beat by Monaco in straights .

You mean Zombievak? Because that certainly was a pale imitation if it wasn't. Besides,I wasn't talking about those matches;I was talking about so far at RG.

yeah and zombievak will show up again. all through Rome and Monte Carlo you were saying Djokovic was playing better and what happened in the final? Funny how you keep saying a masters is meaningless but when Nadal struggles to some guy last year like Lorenzi or loses to verdasco on not real clay you think they matter. or when reeling off nadal's 7 losses which include 4 at masters level.

Clarky21
06-02-2012, 04:21 PM
yeah that's why he hasn't dropped a set on red clay so far this year.. see what you don't understand is as bad as Nadal can play on clay he will still beat nearly everyone most of the time. the upsets since 2005 are ferrero, soderling and verdasco which wasn't even clay according to Nadal fans. so 2 upsets in 8 years, both with issues with his physical condition.

There is NO ONE in his half who can pull off an upset (delpo might have had a shot) and as i predicted raonic who you thought would beat Nadal, got beat by Monaco in straights .

yeah and zombievak will show up again. all through Rome and Monte Carlo you were saying Djokovic was playing better and what happened in the final? Funny how you keep saying a masters is meaningless but when Nadal struggles to some guy last year like Lorenzi or loses to verdasco on not real clay you think they matter. or when reeling off nadal's 7 losses which include 4 at masters level.

That match was in straights? I could have sworn it was a marathon 5 setter,that Pico was lucky to win.

He has yet to show up at RG,and won't since this is a slam,not some meaningless masters tournament.

They are when it comes to the Nadal/Rolaids match up. You just don't erase 7straight final losses,3 of them in slams due to a couple of pointless masters wins. Rolaids is still firmly planted in Nadal head,and if Nadal gets to the final against him,you will get to see for yourself.

Towser83
06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
That match was in straights? I could have sworn it was a marathon 5 setter,that Pico was lucky to win.

He has yet to show up at RG,and won't since this is a slam,not some meaningless masters tournament.

They are when it comes to the Nadal/Rolaids match up. You just don't erase 7straight final losses,3 of them in slams due to a couple of pointless masters wins. Rolaids is still firmly planted in Nadal head,and if Nadal gets to the final against him,you will get to see for yourself.

Sorry i meant 5 sets as i predicted 4 or 5 sets. Dunno how pico was lucky to win, didn't raonic only win his sets in tiebreaks? Point is i knew Monaco would sneak it. and again no one will upset Nadal in the sense of someone other than Novak or fed (still unlikely)

As for 7 losses, so what? Nadal had a 5 match streak over Djokovic at one point and yet it didn't scar him for life. not even 4 losses on clay in a row in 2009 including 3 masters matches ending with the epic Madrid semi that really did hurt Djokovic.

Obviously Nadal was already mentally hurting by the time he played Djokovic in Madrid last year, plus scared of the aura Novak had built up. now that is gone and Nadal is building up his own run of wins, 2 wins already had a big effect on novak's confidence last year.

Didny Novak win wimbledon because Nadal was hurting over a few pointless masters matches?