PDA

View Full Version : There is no genius without the touch of cockiness.

peRFection
06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Roger Federer in press conference : When told that he's David Goffin's idol, Federer simply said : "it's happened before." :-)

http://60.imagebam.com/download/3s99eqBDY8KsPtgdNb8kgA/19346/193457046/0f4b47ccb84da7fd5f7de7ff36b105c6-getty-511353016.jpg

Legend of Borg
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
That's pretty arrogant.

Olderer to retire against Goffin, his successor.

peRFection
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
That's pretty arrogant.

Olderer to retire against Goffin, his successor.

haters will hate.

Rock Strongo
06-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Goffin's better win now. I want to see players hate eachother and matches to turn into all-out wars with bodyshots and spitting.

Edit: I may have to intertwine some logic in what I said. Basically, a comment like that tells the entire world that "nah, I don't want to play at 100% because then my idol might lose" and if you have that mentality, you could just forfeit instead.

Emet74
06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Roger Federer in press conference : When told that he's David Goffin's idol, Federer simply said : "it's happened before." :-)

No he didn't. he said:

ďNot the first time it happens,Ē Federer joked when told heís Goffinís idol. ďItís strange. I tell you that. Itís weird. Itís strange. Itís everything you can imagine. Iím happy to hear it, though. So itís a big match obviously for him, and for me, too. It is a fourth round of a Grand Slam, after all, here in Paris where I know the Belgians, they like coming here and supporting their players like Justine and Kim in the past. I expect some Belgian fans to be there, too. Yeah, itís gonna be unusual match for me, knowing that now.Ē

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-06-01/9741.php

Btw the IMG stuff is the more interesting part of his presser.

TopFH
06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Nadal version: "I must play very perfectly to win, no? It doesn't matter I win losing only cuatro games, no?"

Fate Archer
06-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Fantastic pic.

10 Angels sang in glory when the GOAT hit that backhand.

Sid_Vicious
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Goffin's better win now. I want to see players hate eachother and matches to turn into all-out wars with bodyshots and spitting.

Edit: I may have to intertwine some logic in what I said. Basically, a comment like that tells the entire world that "nah, I don't want to play at 100% because then my idol might lose" and if you have that mentality, you could just forfeit instead.

Saying that a legendary player is your idol does not mean that you will go into the match to tank to your idol. Sampras was Federer's idol (WIM '01). Federer was Del Potro's idol(USO '09)....

Rock Strongo
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Saying that a legendary player is your idol does not mean that you will go into the match to tank to your idol. Sampras was Federer's idol (WIM '01). Federer was Del Potro's idol(USO '09)....

Remember what Julian Reister said before he went up to play Federer? If the wall behind the press conference screen I'm sure klaxons would go off and it would flash "quitter" or "loser", QI-style.

asafi2
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Although he was a big fan of Sampras, Federer has always maintained that Becker and Edberg were his idols growing up. Also, I hope I can find the interview somewhere but he was asked specifically about Sampras being his idol and Roger said (I'm paraphrasing here), "Actually growing up I was a big fan of Becker and Edberg."

Edit: On his official website he lists his idols as Edberg and Becker.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers.html

Sid_Vicious
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Although he was a big fan of Sampras, Federer has always maintained that Becker and Edberg were his idols growing up. Also, I hope I can find the interview somewhere but he was asked specifically about Sampras being his idol and Roger said (I'm paraphrasing here), "Actually growing up I was a big fan of Becker and Edberg."

Edit: On his official website he lists his idols as Edberg and Becker.

Federer has great admiration for Sampras as well. It is safe to say, his admiration for Sampras grew as he got older.
[QUOTE]ďWhen I practise with Pete, I still canít get over who he is, what he has achieved and what he means to me Ė I suppose Iím mesmerised by his game, and a little star-struck, too,Ē said Federer, who has trained in Samprasís back garden at his LA home, and who this summer has the opportunity at the All England Club of putting himself level with Sampras on seven Wimbledon titles.
ďJust being on the practice court with him is so special, and sometimes maybe itís difficult to just concentrate on my shots. It always feel slightly unreal that Iím hitting balls with Pete.
ďThereís something about Peteís game, about his ball, that is so different to practising with other players. We have practised a few times, Iíve dropped by in Los Angeles, and itís always incredible.Ē

Sid_Vicious
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Remember what Julian Reister said before he went up to play Federer? If the wall behind the press conference screen I'm sure klaxons would go off and it would flash "quitter" or "loser", QI-style.

hahaha yeah. Julien Reister is a good guy though. I heard he was playing to fund his local tennis club so they did not shut down.

I also think he did not play a bad match against Federer. He was putting up some resistance at times.

asafi2
06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Federer has great admiration for Sampras as well. It is safe to say, his admiration for Sampras grew as he got older.

I would agree with that.

Rock Strongo
06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
hahaha yeah. Julien Reister is a good guy though. I heard he was playing to fund his local tennis club so they did not shut down.

I also think he did not play a bad match against Federer. He was putting up some resistance at times.

Well, you know what I mean. Great by Reister though!

forzamilan90
06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
That pic in the OP is amazing. The flowers and Fed's striking motion, man that's a good way to take a photo.

The Bawss
06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
OP, that photo is magnificent.

BrooklynNY
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Federer has always said Sampras is his idol.... as recently as 3 weeks ago when they asked him about getting back to #1

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Roger-Federer-casts-doubt-matching-Pete-Sampras/story-16079141-detail/story.html

However, Federer said: “I don’t need to beat every record Pete set, he’s my idol after all and I’m just happy I’m that close already. But it’s exciting times ahead for me. Winning so many tournaments and playing so well obviously I do believe I can win the Grand Slams.

and in 2007 http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3125171
"I'm sort of surprised. This guy can play tennis, you know," Federer said after his loss, saying he wasn't embarrassed to lose to his idol.
"It's been tough beating my idol the last two times," Federer said

"Playing against Pete is obviously a big honor because I grew up idolizing Pete, his game, the way he pulled off shots on big points, his beautiful technique, the way he ran on court. Everything is perfect," Federer said.

He has enjoyed spending time with Sampras during the tour and hearing him share the ups and downs of his career.

"It's been a great insight for me," Federer said.

Same with Del Potro
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx

Sentinel
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM

But it has happened before. Remember Monfils (and even Haas) at RG 09. Tomic also idolizes Roger.

What do you guys expect. Half the ATP, and half the young guns must be idolizing or admiring (older ones) Roger. I suspect even Mahut really didn't want to beat Roger yesterday at some sub-conscious level.

Do you guys think anyone admires or idolizes Nadal :):twisted:

r2473
06-01-2012, 09:15 PM
There is no genius without the touch of cockiness

The PC way of saying this is "Behind every great man is a great woman"

sbengte
06-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Verdasco was the last hope, until Madrid happened. :(

Spider
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
What is happening to tennis players? Idolizing players, get out of here.

Really, if I were Goffin I would say, 'I am ready to beat Roger, hopefully Roger brings his A+ game and there are no excuses from his side after I win the match'.

You need to get the crowd excited, pre-match hype, get the blood bowling of his opponent. Not some pathetic 'oh I idolize this man or that man.'

Nobody cares about that.

abmk
06-01-2012, 10:19 PM

:)

10 chars ..

Sentinel
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I am obviously not talking about compatriots, spouses, gf's etc.

Has any non-Spanish player facing Nadal said that Nadal is his wife's favorite ? Has Wawrinka said that ? Has Tipsy or Troicki said that ? Has Soderling said that ?

Sentinel
06-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Roger shaking in his boots at the thought of facing one of his few remaining fans. He must gift Goffin a set, to retain his loyalty, and let the fourth go past 5-5.

Russeljones
06-01-2012, 11:32 PM

This would be true coming from an amateur. But these guys are professionals and days like this define their careers. So no. He will try his utmost.

Tony48
06-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Fed's draw is hard

sureshs
06-02-2012, 05:38 AM
The PC way of saying this is "Behind every great man is a great woman"

Shouldn't it be the other way around in this case?

Tony48
06-02-2012, 06:59 AM
This would be true coming from an amateur. But these guys are professionals and days like this define their careers. So no. He will try his utmost.

This guy lost in the locker room. No, in fact....he already lost while he was at home watching his "idol" on TV.

Hitman
06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
For me Sampras and Federer playing doubles is the Dream Team! :)

decades
06-02-2012, 09:05 AM
How arrogant for Goffin to consider Fed his idol.

rommil
06-02-2012, 10:44 AM

No. But Rafa idolizes Schiavone:)

zanabel
06-02-2012, 06:33 PM
my signature is arrogant to the max 100% :D

ATXtennisaddict
06-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Only on TW will an innocuous sentence be turned into a hatefest.

sonicare
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Didn't federer once play a guy who was a huge federer fan and after that player lost the match, he said :

"i kept hitting to ball to federers forehand just to watch it upclose and personal"

LMAO

Sid_Vicious
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Didn't federer once play a guy who was a huge federer fan and after that player lost the match, he said :

"i kept hitting to ball to federers forehand just to watch it upclose and personal"

LMAO

Yes, Devon Britton.

Tony48
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM

LMAO

Please tell me you're joking.

rommil
06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Please tell me you're joking.

Well, he actually said "His forehand is just crazy. It's so pretty. I tried to keep it away but sometimes I just hit it there just to see it". - USO 2009

Feather
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM

LMAO

My God, unbelievable

Magnus
06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
But it has happened before. Remember Monfils (and even Haas) at RG 09. Tomic also idolizes Roger.

What do you guys expect. Half the ATP, and half the young guns must be idolizing or admiring (older ones) Roger. I suspect even Mahut really didn't want to beat Roger yesterday at some sub-conscious level.

Delpo also idolizes Roger, he said so many times.

As for Nadal, Murray idolizes him.

Sentinel
06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Just great then that Nadal always draws Murray :D

joeri888
06-03-2012, 12:53 AM
My God, unbelievable

Who cares, that guy was like 1000 in the world, and he got to play Federer, let him enjoy it. It wasn't even a tennismatch, it was just some exhibition, a vacation for the guy. He wasn't even good enough to be Roger's hitting partner in a warmup

Colin
06-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Delpo also idolizes Roger, he said so many times.

That explains a lot. But so far his "I'm going to win a major being even more of a pusher than my idol" isn't paying off.

Sentinel
06-03-2012, 02:54 AM
That explains a lot. But so far his "I'm going to win a major being even more of a pusher than my idol" isn't paying off.
Such a shame considering that Rafa is such an aggressive player.

Colin
06-03-2012, 03:16 AM

Well, true, Rafa can be aggressive at times: in his warm-up theatrics, his MTO drama, in his disdain for time restrictions; but it's in responding to the criticism that follows that behavior that the peerless defensive skills of Nadal and his acolytes shines brightest.

Rozroz
06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
allez Goffin!
i hope he won't tank/choke/etc

Magnus
06-03-2012, 04:12 AM

Lol? :twisted:

Magnus
06-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Well, true, Rafa can be aggressive at times: in his warm-up theatrics, his MTO drama, in his disdain for time restrictions; but it's in responding to the criticism that follows that behavior that the peerless defensive skills of Nadal and his acolytes shines brightest.

This. I don't know where you came from Colin, but I love you!

SLD76
06-03-2012, 04:37 AM

LMAO

USO 2009

Devon Britton.