PDA

View Full Version : Granollers the grunt

jokinla
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Out of control with this guy, he makes Aza and Shaza look like they're whispering in a library, he better hope he never has the "hindrance" umpire.

norbac
06-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Ferrer should destroy him next round.

Cormorant
06-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Ferrer should destroy him next round.

I'm disappointed the crowd hasn't had a revolt and chucked him out of the tournament themselves.

rainingaces
06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
He grunts, so what?

Get over it, he won and phm lost.

The Bawss
06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
He is a disgrace to tennis. The way he acted with Souza coupled with his terrible screaming along with the horrible performance he put up against Nadal makes him, in my view, underserving of having the opportunity to play professional tennis.

jokinla
06-02-2012, 11:16 AM
His grunt is the definition of a hindrance, because it totally changes from game to game. At 4-1 in the fifth, he was absolutely yelling on every shot to get the break, and then when he served it out, his grunt was almost silent.

jokinla
06-02-2012, 11:17 AM
He grunts, so what?

I don't have any interest in the outcome, but his "grunt" is a hindrance, because it changes depending on the score.

sillymonkey
06-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Yea, that was pretty gross. Where's the hindrance call? How about some consistency?

Cormorant
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
He grunts, so what?

It's no ordinary grunt, more like a lugubrious howl of anguish the likes of which was probably playing inside Spock's head as he [spoiler] watched his home planet destroyed by some Romulans in Star Trek.

underground
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
That was the worse grunt I've ever heard. He sounds like being r*ped by a woman in the a** and screaming for help.

sillymonkey
06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
That was the worse grunt I've ever heard. He sounds like being r*ped by a woman in the a** and screaming for help.

Descriptive!

augustobt
06-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Ferrer will make him pay. Hope for a 6-0 6-1 6-0.

nn
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
His grunt is the definition of a hindrance, because it totally changes from game to game. At 4-1 in the fifth, he was absolutely yelling on every shot to get the break, and then when he served it out, his grunt was almost silent.

exactly I was talking about while watching that game... man I can't believe how pathetic that was.... cheaters are never winners

rainingaces
06-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't have any interest in the outcome, but his "grunt" is a hindrance, because it changes depending on the score.

There was no hinderance. If paul-henry felt hindered he would have made something of it ofcourse. PHM grunted too, you cant have a rule that says if you grunt too loud its a hinderence it would make the game a farse. If he had only done it on the big points you may have a point.

Cup8489
06-02-2012, 11:45 AM
So what happened, is there video?

Cesc Fabregas
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I like the Granoller grunt.

tennis_pro
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM
I like the Granoller grunt.

Im sorry Nadal fans are not allowed to talk in this thread, they are too biased.

Cesc Fabregas
06-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Im sorry Nadal fans are not allowed to talk in this thread, they are too biased.

What's it got to do with Nadal?

dudeski
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Nadal sounds almost as bad. I don't see what's the big deal.

tennis_pro
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
What's it got to do with Nadal?

Obviously Nadal fans are in love with his grunts which is just just as annoying.

Sorry, I mean, you're not allowed to talk in this thread.

jmverdugo
06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I am usually not bothered by grunts, but in all seriousness this was abnormal, if you guys did not see the last few games of his match against PHM then you better do not comment because it was really disgusting, PHM was hitting the ball and MG was still grunting AND VERY LOUD, he is known for grunting but this time was waaaay to much.

jones101
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
His grunt was a hinderance IMO, he chanced the intensity and frequency of it often, I dont see how PHM could hear him stike the ball with the way he was grunting, it must have been hard to judge the pace of his shots.

It was quite rediculous, and Id rather watch an Azapova final than listen to that again.

We need Eva Azdareki to umpire his next match. Hinderance needs to be called on that attrocity.

I doubt he would do that if he were playing his lord Rafael.

Rozroz
06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Nadal sounds almost as bad. I don't see what's the big deal.

hurray!!
at last, some common truth!
how come no one complains about the Nadagrunts?!?
do i have to hear this guy orgasms at every stroke??

the only positive thing i could say is that it's consistent and not fake at big points.

BeHappy
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
The only other male player in history with a grunt that bad is John McEnroe, he used to practically scream after hitting drop volleys.

Granollers knows Matheiu is the biggest choker on tour, he was playing the man and he did a very good job of it. Including serving and volleying, he knew Mathieu didn't want to go for winners.

CCNM
06-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Ha ha! Even JMac and Carrillo were talking about his grunts. Still more pleasant that the Battered Dog (Victoria A).

Gonzalito17
06-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Gruntollers is creative with his sounds, using new ones each game and mixing them up constantly, similar to Schiavone but much louder and more distracting. The crowd booed him after for it. While it's annoying it's good to see a new, controversial character emerging.

big_bill
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I've watched a few of Granola bar's matches and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Is this a new thing with him?

Sid_Vicious
06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Obviously Nadal fans are in love with his grunts which is just just as annoying.

Sorry, I mean, you're not allowed to talk in this thread.

Nadal's grunts are so loud that they cause echoes ....

true story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WV7z5lXqxCw#t=445s

jokinla
06-03-2012, 12:19 AM
I've watched a few of Granola bar's matches and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Is this a new thing with him?

It was out of control when he was breaking serve at 4-1 in the fifth, and then disappeared, so perhaps he only "grunts" when he really needs a break.

ViscaB
06-03-2012, 12:21 AM
He is a disgrace to tennis. The way he acted with Souza coupled with his terrible screaming along with the horrible performance he put up against Nadal makes him, in my view, underserving of having the opportunity to play professional tennis.

From what I saw the Portuguese fans provoked him and Souza should have ordered them to keep quiet.

Colin
06-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Wow, that's an assault on the ears.

Sharapova and Azarenka and lots of the women have similar shrieks so you can get used to them — sort of like adapting to the sounds of the city and blocking out the deafening traffic and sirens.

So it's the ones that are unexpected or unique that have the ability to truly annoy. Granollers might be the worst if that's a typical display; I wouldn't be able to handle it long. The other ones that really annoy me are Schiavone's drawn-out battle cries and Kvitova's bark, because it shatters the relative calm like a gunshot when it arrives.

I think the women get too much of a bad rap when it's a problem for tennis overall. Everyone targets Vika and Maria, but Rafa and Novak can certainly be no joy to listen to when they get going.

Sentinel
06-03-2012, 02:11 AM
So what happened, is there video?
I could hear it all the way in India with my telly muted. I thought someone was puking.

vive le beau jeu !
06-03-2012, 03:31 AM
his grunt is indeed particularly ridiculous, unnatural and annoying.

kevin-af
06-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Roland Garros important announcement

http://a.yfrog.com/img611/7716/7udob.jpg

cluckcluck
06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Can anybody find video on the Granollers game at 4-1? I can't find it.

willshot
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
he screams like he's having a baby. terrible!

Racquet Daddy
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree with sillymonkey: there needs to be some consistency. But that's kinda hard with something like a grunt since it can be subjective. Grunting out of the ordinary when stretched outside the alley on the baseline hitting a squash shot during a 30 stroke rally is one thing. Grunting like Nadal, while annoying, is consistent throughout the match and another. Doing what Granola did was bush league. I hope someone gives him a wedgie in the locker room.

jokinla
06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
This clip is of match point, Granny isn't making a sound, the only grunting you hear is PHM, but the previous game, Granny was screaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JpRQhA2Ra8

The Bawss
06-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Lol, Ferru sorted him right out.

pound cat
06-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Djokovic has developed a huge noisy irritating game with increasingling loud yells as he increases the speed of his shot until the other guy misses. Or he does.

jmverdugo
06-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Grunting is kind of normal nowdays, specially when you are planning to hit hard and it takes some effort from you - I guess that is why Fed doesn't grunt too much - but even guys that don't regularly grunt do it when they are about to hit big, like Delpo, I would not want to be on the other side of the court when Delpo start grunting to hit a shot, you can start hearing it before the actual shot and it is really intimidating because he is usually a quite guy so you know something big is coming. My guess is that Spanish guys play a more physical game hence the grunting, which in the case of Nadal, Almagro, Ferrer, Feliciano and others is regular and more than acceptable BUT GRANOLLERS IS RIDICULOUSNESS!

augustobt
06-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Ferrer will make him pay. Hope for a 6-0 6-1 6-0.

At least I was correct about the last set =P

---

When Del Potro grunts you know that a 150+km/h forehand is coming...

Atherton2003
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
This grunting from Granola was terrible...I couldn't figure out what it was - but came to the conclusion this was the after effects of him drinking a whole bottle of prune juice prior to the match.