PDA

View Full Version : Mac is full of &%$# about Murray

michael_1265
06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I like Mac as a commentator, but his comments about Murray were way off base. He called Murray's problems vs. Nieminen a "Rope a Dope", giving the impression that Murray was exaggerating to gain an advantage due to the fact that he got better quickly. Murray was definitely not faking.

I have struggled with this issue since my mid 20s, and there was no mistaking the way Murray was walking and trying to serve. It can be debilitating, but given the right treatment, it can be fixed quickly. Most of the time, when I have tweaked my back to the extent that Murray did, one visit to the chiropractor will make it right, but without treatment, it can be a long road back. He had the right kind of treatment, obviously.

One caveat, at least for me, is that my back tends to be a little sensitive for a few days after treatment. I wonder if Murray's back will hold up to the stresses of a two-week tournament. That being said, clay is a much better surface then hard courts with respect to impact on the spinal column.

BeHappy
06-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I think Murray's faking too. Otherwise why would he play the French Open when Wimbledon is a few weeks away?

How did he wipe the floor with Niemenan? Niemenan was a top 15 player for years and years. Definitely faking, Mac is right.

The Bawss
06-02-2012, 01:24 PM
He was faking. Deal with it.

Mustard
06-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Several people seem to be accusing Murray of faking. Virginia Wade, John McEnroe. Why is this? Do they think Murray deliberately went 1-6, 2-4 down against Nieminen or something?

Evan77
06-02-2012, 01:35 PM
JMac is the only commentator I actually like ... I do not recall what JMac said about Andy ... but I don't question your post at all ... I'm sure he did. You see, I find that most commentators simply talk too much. now, I guess they have to inform an average Joe who is whom and what's happening .... but to us who've been tennis junkies like forever it just sometimes get so annoying ...

the only thing I have to say is, that people are so hard on Murray. Brits love him and hate him at the same time. and then the British media, OMG I don't want to even go there, I can't believe how much BS I had to read last 5 years about Murray.

Murray has to deal with 3 titans, 3 guys who simply are so dominant that is almost impossible to break trough. yeah, you def. Nadal, then you bump into Federer or Djokovic. same story all over again.

I can only hope that Murray will able to overcome this somehow. and one last thing, he has to improve that bloody FH ...

michael_1265
06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Several people seem to be accusing Murray of faking. Virginia Wade, John McEnroe. Why is this? Do they think Murray deliberately went 1-6, 2-4 down against Nieminen or something?

The commentators need to have something to make into an issue. It's pathetic, especially when they should know better.

michael_1265
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I think Murray's faking too. Otherwise why would he play the French Open when Wimbledon is a few weeks away?

How did he wipe the floor with Niemenan? Niemenan was a top 15 player for years and years. Definitely faking, Mac is right.

This is # 4 against #40 something. There is a big gap of talent between those two rankings.

winstonplum
06-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Murray actually seems like one of the tougher dudes on tour. Mac is way lost on this one.

batz
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Murray actually seems like one of the tougher dudes on tour. Mac is way lost on this one.

Murray has played 462 matches and retired once - when he snapped a wrist tendon. Only Roger Federer has a better record. Murray also said in an interview today that he was told in Miami by someone from the ATP that he has the second lowest number of calls for the trainer on tour.

So. 2nd lowest number of retirements on tour, 2nd lowest number of trainer requests.

Murray is such a cheat.

JustBob
06-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Commentators can't talk about American players until our heads explode since they all lost. Number 2 on the list of things to do to get ratings is "manufacture controversy out of thin air".

Shaolin
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
McEnroe was probably basing his opinion in the fact that Murray looks like he is in constant pain and anguish in literally every match he plays. That kinda makes one think he's faking it from time to time.

Peters
06-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Murray has played 462 matches and retired once - when he snapped a wrist tendon. Only Roger Federer has a better record. Murray also said in an interview today that he was told in Miami by someone from the ATP that he has the second lowest number of calls for the trainer on tour.

So. 2nd lowest number of retirements on tour, 2nd lowest number of trainer requests.

Murray is such a cheat.
I know. He's got a great record for not getting the trainer on. It's basically all a load of bs from Wade and Mcenroe.

But the sheep have got to have their bandwagons to jump on, so let them have their fun I guess.

norbac
06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
PMac or JMac?

TTMR
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Murray is definitely malingering, but Nadal's knees force him to ride around in a wheelchair when not on the tennis court.

TopFH
06-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Murray is such a cheat.

Is Federer the first? I don't recall him calling the trainer.

Clarky21
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I believe Muurya has a back issue,but that he managing it well,and it's not really affecting his play.

Sid_Vicious
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Is Federer the first? I don't recall him calling the trainer.

Federer called for the trainer...off the top of my head ... against Safin AO '05 and Murray TMC '08. Don't recall more, but I am sure there were more.

Mainad
06-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Don't know what MacEnroe was implying but Virginia Wade did NOT say Murray was faking. She just thought he 'over-dramatized' his physical ailments a bit instead of just grinning and bearing it. Of course it's easy for her to say and Murray was not much amused by her comments but I guess Murray does slip into negative body language a bit too easily whenever he's not feeling 100%. But that's a far cry from saying he's faking it.

Why the heck would he need to fake injury against Nieminen, a guy he puts away fairly easily every time they meet? It just doesn't make sense.

Gonzalito17
06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I think Murray flat out faked the back pain. Here are the reasons why:

He got off to a slow start, Jarrko was hot, so he had to play mind games.

Murray's MO to this point has failed to win a slam. He has to try a new tactic. Mind games and bluffing injury is a wise idea, considering how many others have used this tactic to help them win slams.

If he fails again in Paris he has his alibi - oh my achin back was the reason I failed again, not because I'm mentally weaker than the Big Three.

Now the media focus is on his back, not the same old nagging questions about what do you have to do to win a slam Andy?

Brilliant tactical move by Team Murray to play the "my back hurts" card. We'll see if this new tactic will pay dividends in Paris or London.

Mustard
06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Don't know what MacEnroe was implying but Virginia Wade did NOT say Murray was faking. She just thought he 'over-dramatized' his physical ailments a bit instead of just grinning and bearing it. Of course it's easy for her to say and Murray was not much amused by her comments but I guess Murray does slip into negative body language a bit too easily whenever he's not feeling 100%. But that's a far cry from saying he's faking it.

Why the heck would he need to fake injury against Nieminen, a guy he puts away fairly easily every time they meet? It just doesn't make sense.

What's the difference between "over-dramatized" and faking? Surely over-dramatized means making out that an injury is far worse than what it is in reality, i.e. faking?

But I do agree with you that Murray's body language on court is a worry, and it continues to be one of his biggest problems, in my opinion. The very top players find ways to win matches when they are playing badly. When Murray plays badly, he usually loses.

big_bill
06-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Murray is a certifiable headcase and 90% of his physical ailments are psychosomatic. It's no coincidence he always gets the niggles when he plays poorly.

TopFH
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Federer called for the trainer...off the top of my head ... against Safin AO '05 and Murray TMC '08. Don't recall more, but I am sure there were more.

I'm pretty sure Nadal has called for the trainer more in the past 12 months than Federer in his career. :)

BeHappy
06-02-2012, 04:25 PM

He's getting his story straight now so he can call the trainer in the quarter finals when he's losing. This is Lendl's idea. It's worked great for Djokovic and Nadal and now it's going to work for Murray.

Hood_Man
06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I think Murray simply wears his heart on his sleeve. I don't see any benefit to faking injuries.

Also when it comes to commentators, they are human beings at the end of the day. They're no less capable of saying stupid things than the rest of us, only while we have the luxury of being by ourselves when we have these thoughts (mor often than not), they're trained, no, required to say what they're thinking.

I've thought daft things about players, rolled my eyes when they've taken MTO's or done something that I thought was dishonest, but in the time it takes for me to see this happen, tap away at my keyboard and start writing my thoughts down, I've usually come to my senses and gathered my thoughts.

It's only a few seconds which is nothing, unless you're required to speak out straight away which is when these daft things come out.

Yours,

Andrew Castle xx

sillymonkey
06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Saw a clip of his post match presser...he is rather whiny.

Legend of Borg
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Something was definitely bothering him but that doesn't mean he can't exaggerate or overplay the injury.

Too much drama over this crap anyways.

TheF1Bob
06-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Murray over exaggerates way too much. You wouldn't know if had broken a leg or not.

ramos77
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Murray is no Djokovic...

mawashi
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes he looked hurt, yes he needed treatment, NO he didn't need to act like a drama queen, diva soccer player taking a dive.

Whatever, the case is, Murry is behaves like a whinny toddler.

winstonplum
06-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Murray is such a cheat.

Good stats. Brits are tough, as a general rule, I've learned. Tune into the Euro Cup this summer and watch the mainlanders flop around the pitch like there are assassin bullets flying to and fro, while the English, while losing, probably in the group stage, will at least acquit themselves well with very little flopping, whining, and girly-girl thin headbands.

Murray rolled his ankle big time last year. I've done that three times in my life (I now play tennis with those ASO braces) and I went down like a heap of bricks and wasn't out on the court for about two/three weeks. Wasn't it last year that Murray did that and then played two days later with "more pills in him than Ozzy Osbourne"--I think that was his quote. Give Muzza a break. His body language has actually gotten a little better since Ivan rolled in. I'm looking forward to Ferru/Muzza if it comes to fruition.

ZeroSkid
06-02-2012, 07:43 PM
He is not faking lol, some people are idiots

sonicare
06-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Murray is preparing a list of excuses for when he retires slamless

Mainad
06-02-2012, 08:33 PM
What's the difference between "over-dramatized" and faking? Surely over-dramatized means making out that an injury is far worse than what it is in reality, i.e. faking?

'Over-dramatizing' simply means to make too much fuss about pain and injury, however genuine, as opposed to the stiff upper-lip, just grin and bear it types. Quite different from someone faking it ie. just play-acting and deliberately pretending to be injured.

But I do agree with you that Murray's body language on court is a worry, and it continues to be one of his biggest problems, in my opinion. The very top players find ways to win matches when they are playing badly. When Murray plays badly, he usually loses.

I think it's more a case of the very top players ie. the Big 3, never play as badly as Murray sometimes does.

JGads
06-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Didn't see the match, but Murray is always -- always -- wincing in pain and tugging at something when things start to go wrong, it's like his nervous tick, so whether he is or isn't hurt, he just hasn't earned a lot of trust in the reliability department. With him you can never fully know or trust just how hurt he may or may not be.

ttwarrior1
06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
he wasn't faking, it was not an injury, nobody here has ever been stiff before?

Magnus
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Something was starge there though. One does not play so badly, lose a set or two and then starts running like a rabbit and finishing in style. Just ask Nadal....err...wait.

Sentinel
06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Murray over exaggerates way too much.
LOL, exaggerating wasn't enough, over-exaggerating wasn;t enough either!:)

As the OP says, I too had a similar back issue for over a year. Horrible, but one visit fixed it. It's never bothered again, but it was debilitating while it was there. I could see certain painful reactions that were similar to what I'd gone through... e.g. wincing at the slightest bending.

r5d3
06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
What McEnroe is basically saying is that Murray intentionally let himself get down 1-6, 2-4. Right! Niemann is two holds away from going up two sets, and that seems like a good time to stop faking, right?

These back spasms aren't fun, but as has been said before, they can go away (at least enough to play good tennis) with the right treatment.

Nothing to see here.

Feņa14
06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Good stats. Brits are tough, as a general rule, I've learned. Tune into the Euro Cup this summer and watch the mainlanders flop around the pitch like there are assassin bullets flying to and fro, while the English, while losing, probably in the group stage, will at least acquit themselves well with very little flopping, whining, and girly-girl thin headbands.

The real toughness has already been shown! Chelsea's Champions League victory was as balls out as it gets :)

But yeah I agree, Murray is having back issues and he has for a little while now. I don't see much point trying to hide it to please commentators and people who aren't fans of his. It would be pretty clear from his play and his walk if he tried to cover it up, people would then say he's hinting at being injured to make a win look more impressive or a loss acceptable. People aren't going to be happy either way.

Russeljones
06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Murray himself says he was aware of his back well before the match began. You just know they discussed the possibility of pain flaring up a notch during the match and how walking it off was the best course of action (through a slight slowing of the already very slow Murray game). These guys are professionals and Murray has surrounded himself with a lot of them. If there was such unimaginable agony as some would have us believe, do you really believe Murray would have played on with Wimbledon and the Olympics so soon?

I think "faking" is a strong word because I truly believe he was in great pain. What irks me, however, is how his victory over Nieminen is made out to be a heroic feat. He's had no problem vs the Fin previously and could and did beat him at 30%. Just another day at the office. The rest is a storm in a teacup.

jamesblakefan#1
06-03-2012, 06:05 AM

Murray is such a cheat.

One quibble, don't forget Blake's the other to have never retired from a match on tour (though he may be retiring in general soon and be off that list).

I seem to recall a lot of matches where Murray has not played his best, not necessarily 'badly', and still managed to win. It's usually more on HC and grass of course rather than clay, which is his worst surface.

batz
06-03-2012, 06:26 AM
One quibble, don't forget Blake's the other to have never retired from a match on tour (though he may be retiring in general soon and be off that list).

I seem to recall a lot of matches where Murray has not played his best, not necessarily 'badly', and still managed to win. It's usually more on HC and grass of course rather than clay, which is his worst surface.

Happy to stand corrected on that.