PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Vs Golf

Barnes68
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Has anyone noticed that golf seems to get more t.v coverage than tennis? I'm referring to the local networks (excluding cable & satelite). There seems to be a golf tournament on every weekend. The exception would probably be Wimbeldon coverage. Any one have any thoughts?

TopFH
06-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Golf is becoming more popular due to the rise in laziness and the need for a social, non-demanding sport.

Evan77
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Golf is becoming more popular due to the rise in laziness and the need for a social, non-demanding sport.
well, exactly, even my 85 yo grandpa can play golf. tennis so much more demanding ... fat people, old people, young people, whoever ... golf is just a recreational thing.

that's why they make so much money, too many average Joes who never done any sport in their lives,.. they prefer to have some beer and a bag of chips and watch some silly golf

try playing pro tennis and good luck with that :).

laziness my friend, that's exactly what it is.

TopFH
06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
^The thing I hate most about golf is the money invested in it. I mean, Tiger Woods was the highest earning "athlete" for years.

TTMR
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Golf has been made much more accessible to the average person than tennis, which retains its elitist snobbery. Golf is more amenable to TV coverage. Retirements and injuries don't end golf tournaments, but they do end tennis matches. The length of a round of golf is fairly predictable while a tennis match can run from 1-6 hours. Final rounds of golf are hardly played on Monday (a work day) due to weather, while the most relevant major to North Americans practically always is (and is then usually pre-empted on local affiliates by Dr. Phil and Oprah).

So, obviously golf gets much more coverage. It is far, far, far more popular than tennis in North America. People here seem to live in an illusory fantasy world where people actually care about tennis. I would bet 80% of North Americans have no idea who Roger Federer is. Only the most devout, passionate fans of other sports might recall the name mentioned on Sportscenter a couple of times.

forzamilan90
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM

It's become a part of business etiquette as well, and deals are sealed over golf games. It's become the rich man's leisure/business sealing activity so naturally those with lots of money would have an impact (rich people run the country after all so it'd make sense this sport is marketed out on TV, ads, etc. and has a lot of cash flow involved in it).

TTMR
06-02-2012, 03:58 PM
^The thing I hate most about golf is the money invested in it. I mean, Tiger Woods was the highest earning "athlete" for years.

Tiger Woods single-handedly captured public consciousness and drastically increased the popularity of golf worldwide. He earned every penny, regardless of what one may think of his personality or conduct.

Evan77
06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
it is so sad ... OK, let's forget about Djokovic, Fed and Nadal but the fact is that top #100-150 players can hardly survive. remember that article by Sergiy Stakhovsky (ranked #84 in the world) ... k, just found it
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-04-10/9291.php

Barnes68
06-02-2012, 04:07 PM
It's become a part of business etiquette as well, and deals are sealed over golf games. It's become the rich man's leisure/business sealing activity so naturally those with lots of money would have an impact (rich people run the country after all so it'd make sense this sport is marketed out on TV, ads, etc. and has a lot of cash flow involved in it).

Good point! Golf has become a big part of the business culture. Many business deals are made on the gold course.

Mustard
06-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I like some golf, but I prefer tennis any day.

it is so sad ... OK, let's forget about Djokovic, Fed and Nadal but the fact is that top #100-150 players can hardly survive. remember that article by Sergiy Stakhovsky (ranked #84 in the world) ... k, just found it
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-04-10/9291.php

And it was left to top 4 to try and do something about that, to ask for a higher percentage of pay increases to go on the lower round losers than those who reach the latter stages.

BeHappy
06-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I made a thread about this before and got a bunch of people arguing with me. Where were all you posters then? :)

I think it's because Babyboomers (which are the biggest section of people in every country) have gotten old and fat and now they play golf for fun instead of tennis.

stormholloway
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Golf has been made much more accessible to the average person than tennis

What on earth are you talking about? Golf is far more expensive and exclusive. Find me a free neighborhood golf course and I'll play an entire round there naked.

Golf is more popular because of Tiger Woods. Tennis was popular when there were American number ones. That's how it goes. People are sheep. They need to be told what is fun.

Regardless, golf is a fantastic game. It requires incredible focus and discipline.

stormholloway
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I think it's because Babyboomers (which are the biggest section of people in every country) have gotten old and fat and now they play golf for fun instead of tennis.

I think you made a good point here.

TTMR
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
What on earth are you talking about? Golf is far more expensive and exclusive. Find me a free neighborhood golf course and I'll play an entire round there naked.

For $70 at a cheap public course, you can play 18 holes of golf--essentially a whole day of activity. At a tennis club, you are looking at $25-$30 per hour, plus membership fees. If you want to play in winter in areas that experience a genuine winter, expect to be shelling out near $1000 in membership fees, and then $25-$30 per hour to play on court--at limited times.

I forgot to mention the biggest single advantage of golf: you can play by yourself. Finding a tennis partner of similar skill level can be a very troublesome task. Then you have to ensure you have similar work schedules and available times to play. In reality, you must ingratiate yourself to the irritating social tennis scene to play tennis on a regular basis, while you can avoid that headache in golf if you don't enjoy it.

stormholloway
06-02-2012, 04:53 PM
For $70 at a cheap public course, you can play 18 holes of golf--essentially a whole day of activity. At a tennis club, you are looking at $25-$30 per hour, plus membership fees. If you want to play in winter in areas that experience a genuine winter, expect to be shelling out near $1000 in membership fees, and then $25-$30 per hour to play on court--at limited times.

I forgot to mention the biggest single advantage of golf: you can play by yourself. Finding a tennis partner of similar skill level can be a very troublesome task. Then you have to ensure you have similar work schedules and available times to play. In reality, you must ingratiate yourself to the irritating social tennis scene to play tennis on a regular basis, while you can avoid that headache in golf if you don't enjoy it.

So let me get this straight, you've never in your life heard of or witnessed personally free tennis courts and you consider a sport that requires at least two people difficult to organize? I have community tennis courts down the block from me--free. At the nicer courts near where I live, it costs $3 to play.

Sure, it's relatively more difficult to get enough people for tennis compared to golf (which requires just one person), but it's a hell of a lot easier than any other sport. I've always found a tennis partner where I live. Tennis isn't less popular than golf because it requires two people.

But seriously, are you under the impression the only place to play tennis is a exclusive tennis club?

TTMR
06-02-2012, 05:17 PM
So let me get this straight, you've never in your life heard of or witnessed personally free tennis courts and you consider a sport that requires at least two people difficult to organize? I have community tennis courts down the block from me--free. At the nicer courts near where I live, it costs $3 to play.

Sure, it's relatively more difficult to get enough people for tennis compared to golf (which requires just one person), but it's a hell of a lot easier than any other sport. I've always found a tennis partner where I live. Tennis isn't less popular than golf because it requires two people.

But seriously, are you under the impression the only place to play tennis is a exclusive tennis club?

Yeah, you live in an area with a mild climate and a concentrated population of 20 million people, most of them much more worldly than the rest of the continent. Of course you're not going to have trouble playing tennis.

However, that does not describe most of the northern half of North America.

zanabel
06-02-2012, 05:22 PM
i am too restless for golf so i only have played it once.

ramos77
spending my time looking for balls in long grass and bushes?

no thanks..

I'd rather spend all day chasing fuzzy yellow balls like a mad man, at least when I go to the court with 4 balls, I come home with them...

tata
meh, golf is a game but it's definitely not a sport.

zanabel
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
i think tennis has a lot more going for it because of the a-t-h-l-e-t-i-c part.

TTMR
06-02-2012, 05:27 PM

And tennis lovers ****ging off other sports (mostly out of envy for their popularity) is part of the elitist snobbery I was referring to.

zanabel
06-02-2012, 05:30 PM
tennis always have the best looking people and youngest :) haha

Talker
06-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I do watch golf majors from time to time. It's relaxing for me and the courses are beautiful.
Never played though.

ramos77
06-02-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.buzzpirates.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/joh.jpg

Evan77
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
And tennis lovers ****ging off other sports (mostly out of envy for their popularity) is part of the elitist snobbery I was referring to.
man, I respect your opinion, but disagree so much ... tennis is so much more complex than golf ... I actually do watch golf at slams, when I'm free but it doesn't even come close ... I play golf with my friends too, but it's just fooling around.

I wouldn't say that tennis is more 'elite' than golf ... dude, we are talking about Michelsong with his belly versa lanky Djoko, muscular Rafa, and Roger in between. Tiger WAS cool, but whatever ...

Federererer
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Tennis is much more accessible to the 'average' person than golf.

pkshooter
06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Tons of people know tennis, but I live on the west cost so what do I know. Btw we've got a lot of Asians here... does that mean the same thing across america?

texasdoc
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Back when I was real young tennis was very very popular. You had to wait on public courts. You could hit at any wall and find someone to play with within 5 mins.

Now, you pretty much have to join a club to get regular tennis.

Sad, but golf is much bigger now.

ZeroSkid
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I like golf but it is hardly a sport lol

t135
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM

Golf is great for lazy people. Recreational players ride in carts, etc. can be insanely out of shape and still play good golf. Smoke, drink, whatever.

Competitive golf is another story. Golf is insanely difficult to play consistently well. Every hole and and course is different. You walk in tournaments. Play 3-4 rounds consecutively in tournaments, and you have to play consistently well each round. It's definitely a sport, and a freaking hard one.

But it's a cake walk to play recreationally. Tennis is a much more physical sport. You have 80 year olds playing tennis too. But tennis requires a lot more physical exertion at every level to win.

For perspective, you can play horribly in tennis for 30 minutes and still win the match, no sweat. Play golf horribly for 30 minutes and you can't recover. The scoring system in golf is very very unforgiving. There is no "back to deuce".

BreakPoint
06-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Golf has been made much more accessible to the average person than tennis, which retains its elitist snobbery. Golf is more amenable to TV coverage. Retirements and injuries don't end golf tournaments, but they do end tennis matches. The length of a round of golf is fairly predictable while a tennis match can run from 1-6 hours. Final rounds of golf are hardly played on Monday (a work day) due to weather, while the most relevant major to North Americans practically always is (and is then usually pre-empted on local affiliates by Dr. Phil and Oprah).

So, obviously golf gets much more coverage. It is far, far, far more popular than tennis in North America. People here seem to live in an illusory fantasy world where people actually care about tennis. I would bet 80% of North Americans have no idea who Roger Federer is. Only the most devout, passionate fans of other sports might recall the name mentioned on Sportscenter a couple of times.
Are you serious? There are free public tennis courts in just about every public park in every neighborhood. How many totally free public golf courses do you know of in every neighborhood? That makes tennis WAY MORE accessible than golf is.

So if it rains heavily on a Sunday during a golf tournament, what do they do? Cancel the final round?

I heard non-sports people mention the name Roger Federer many times before on TV.

Maybe tennis is not so popular nor accessible in Canada due to the climate so you have to play indoors most of the year and that costs money. But here in California, free tennis courts are everywhere and you can play all year-round outdoors for free.

sillymonkey
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Tennis is much more accessible to the 'average' person than golf.

Yes, it's true. Although they're both country club sports to be sure. The difference is golf requires a lot of real estate.
You don't see too many tennis courts in urban areas, but it would be nice if they increased.
Love him or hate him, Tiger Woods is the reason younger folks got interested in golf. Before Tiger, it was a pensioner activity.

Gizo
06-03-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't like golf at all, but I believe that even the European tour, which of the course is the poor cousin of the US PGA tour, generally has more lucrative tournaments on average than the ATP tour.

Maui19
06-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Golf is great for lazy people. Recreational players ride in carts, etc. can be insanely out of shape and still play good golf. Smoke, drink, whatever.

Competitive golf is another story. Golf is insanely difficult to play consistently well. Every hole and and course is different. You walk in tournaments. Play 3-4 rounds consecutively in tournaments, and you have to play consistently well each round. It's definitely a sport, and a freaking hard one.

But it's a cake walk to play recreationally. Tennis is a much more physical sport. You have 80 year olds playing tennis too. But tennis requires a lot more physical exertion at every level to win.

For perspective, you can play horribly in tennis for 30 minutes and still win the match, no sweat. Play golf horribly for 30 minutes and you can't recover. The scoring system in golf is very very unforgiving. There is no "back to deuce".

This pretty much nails it. The tennis game is much easier to learn than golf (which is insanely difficult), but you need to be in some kind of reasonable condition to play it--even recreationally.

dominikk1985
06-03-2012, 07:25 AM

this. it's more like billiard or darts. it does need a lot of skill but I would not consider it a real sport

jaggy
06-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Golf is not a sport, not sure how you could compare it to tennis

Tennishacker
06-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Golf is not a sport, not sure how you could compare it to tennis

I play both tennis and golf, yes golf is a very demanding sport.
The amount of concentration and focus required in both sports is the same.
Serving for set, same as trying to make that 3 foot putt.

Walking 18 holes is just as demanding as playing two sets of singles.

3fees
06-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Golf is promoted more than Tennis,,however, tennis is the more economical sport,,cost of making and upkeep of golf courses vs tennis courts is huge, major club membership cost differences are huge too. The most important hole in golf for many golfers is the 19th hole-the bar,,,,:)

Cheers
3fees :)

dominikk1985
06-03-2012, 08:28 AM

I know golf needs a lot of skill and technique. but physically as demanding as tennis? do you sweat after a round of golf (I never played it exept some rounds in the driving range)?

Wilander Fan
06-03-2012, 08:41 AM

THIS X 100. Luckily most of my tennis partners are good friends but...sometimes you put up with alot just to get some hitting in.

Barnes68
06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I have nothing against golf, per se. I have never played golf and have been playing tennis since the age of 10 or 12. Golf does seem to be more popular, in the US anyway, especially with retired people.

BeHappy
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM

What???????????

LuckyR
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Golf is more popular in the US that tennis for both participation and as a specator sport.

mcenroefan
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM

I didn't know golf had come to be considered a "sport"?

If competetitive golf is a "sport," then the long drive competition is even a more demanding "sport". Certainly, putting, chipping, and pitching which make up the vast majority of a score in any round of golf, are not "athletic" activities (anymore than crocquet). I think it's much more of a game (albeit with some very good athletes playing the game on its competitive level). Baseball generally requires more athletic ability than golf and yet it still is considered a game.

BreakPoint
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I could walk all day long and I wouldn't be as tired as if I played two sets of singles against Ferrer.

Mustard
06-03-2012, 10:51 AM

LOL. I've played 18 holes of golf, and walking around a golf course is nowhere near as physical demanding as playing tennis. A few games of tennis is more demanding, let alone a few sets.

SoCal10s
06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I did both golf and tennis at high competitive level.. if I had a chance to do it all over ,I would have started and stayed with golf.. . tennis is too difficult at all aspects to maintain.. you have to be there physically,mentally,emotionally to win.. in golf ,a player can get into a 'hot' steak and win a big tournament...you'll hardly ever see this in tennis ..
but overall,I take golf because you can enjoy the high competitive level longer,even well into your seniors(50yrs).. the Champions/or senior tours players are still earning some good money hitting a golf ball..the other thing is,look at all the great champions,most or all of them are still immensely rich and doing well.. too many tennis champions are struggling with their lives after tennis career is over..

DoubleWindsor
06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
This forum is so biased, but I guess that's to be expected, what I did not expect was all the snobbery in this thread. I would say I enjoy golf almost as much as I enjoy tennis, and have respect for both sports, but anyone here who thinks golf is easy and not a sport is delusional or just very misinformed. Golf takes tremendous focus, stamina, and skill.

I guarantee 95% of the people in here trashing gold couldn't hit a ball straight to save their life, let alone hit the ball at all. Don't talk about what you don't know.

BeHappy
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
This forum is so biased, but I guess that's to be expected, what I did not expect was all the snobbery in this thread. I would say I enjoy golf almost as much as I enjoy tennis, and have respect for both sports, but anyone here who thinks golf is easy and not a sport is delusional or just very misinformed. Golf takes tremendous focus, stamina, and skill.

I guarantee 95% of the people in here trashing gold couldn't hit a ball straight to save their life, let alone hit the ball at all. Don't talk about what you don't know.

Golf takes zero athleticism, that's why an obese man in his 40's like Phil Mickelson is a top player. That's all anyone in this thread is saying.

DoubleWindsor
06-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Golf takes zero athleticism, that's why an obese man in his 40's like Phil Mickelson is a top player. That's all anyone in this thread is saying.

but it takes a tremendous amount of skill, lack of athleticism should not discount that fact

Federererer
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Darts and pool takes a lot of skill too. Sorry, but golf is not a sport. Specially since my grandma plays it and she could beat most very athletic male beginners.

sanimej
06-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, you live in an area with a mild climate and a concentrated population of 20 million people, most of them much more worldly than the rest of the continent. Of course you're not going to have trouble playing tennis.

However, that does not describe most of the northern half of North America.

Sorry, you are still way off the mark.. NY is not a mild climate.. if they have enough free public tennis courts you can imagine the situation can only be better in most of the US where the winter lasts hardly 2-3 months..

From court accessibility to the cost of gears tennis is far more easier for an average person to pick up than golf.

Mustard
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I never said that golf is a sport that doesn't require a great amount of skill, because it does. I'm saying that doing a round of 18 holes is nowhere near as physically demanding as playing sets of tennis.

Big_Dangerous
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
well, exactly, even my 85 yo grandpa can play golf. tennis so much more demanding ... fat people, old people, young people, whoever ... golf is just a recreational thing.

that's why they make so much money, too many average Joes who never done any sport in their lives,.. they prefer to have some beer and a bag of chips and watch some silly golf

try playing pro tennis and good luck with that :).

laziness my friend, that's exactly what it is.

I'm fat and play tennis.

:)

Tennishacker
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
LOL. I've played 18 holes of golf, and walking around a golf course is nowhere near as physical demanding as playing tennis. A few games of tennis is more demanding, let alone a few sets.

Depends on your level of tennis...

sundaypunch
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Golf is perfectly packaged for TV. You have everyone's favorites playing every Saturday and Sunday from 2-6pm EST. It is perfect for viewers and sponsors and contributes to the huge tournament purses.

If you had the top 10 tennis players playing every Sat./Sun. at a consistent time it would be much more popular (and profitable). Obviously this is not possible.

goober
06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I could walk all day long and I wouldn't be as tired as if I played two sets of singles against Ferrer.

Eh? If you played Ferrer the 2 sets would be over in about 30-40 minutes.

But I agree walking 18 holes over a 4 hour period is much less tiring than 2 sets of competitive singles.

sundaypunch
06-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Darts and pool takes a lot of skill too. Sorry, but golf is not a sport. Specially since my grandma plays it and she could beat most very athletic male beginners.

Yes, and the same can be said about tennis.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games". -Ernest Hemingway

TTMR
06-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry, you are still way off the mark.. NY is not a mild climate..

You can play tennis in New York for nine or ten months a year. Try doing the same thing in Minneapolis or Detroit or Cleveland. And yes, New York has a very mild climate. Not as mild as west LA or SF, but still mild compared to much of the world that is very hot or very cold.

if they have enough free public tennis courts you can imagine the situation can only be better in most of the US where the winter lasts hardly 2-3 months..

Where I am from, there are numerous free neighbourhood tennis courts. They are covered in potholes and use nets made of wire mesh; unplayable for any adult. If you really want to play, you either have to join a club with the aforementioned fees, or drive ten hours to Minneapolis and deal with standard border guard harassment.

You might reply, "Yeah, but you live in a frozen wasteland. Of course you can't play tennis there."
But golf is also a summer sport, highly dependent on accommodating weather, yet I can pick from several dozen golf courses within and near the city to play.

dominikk1985
06-03-2012, 02:01 PM
You can play tennis in New York for nine or ten months a year. Try doing the same thing in Minneapolis or Detroit or Cleveland. And yes, New York has a very mild climate. Not as mild as west LA or SF, but still mild compared to much of the world that is very hot or very cold.

Where I am from, there are numerous free neighbourhood tennis courts. They are covered in potholes and use nets made of wire mesh; unplayable for any adult. If you really want to play, you either have to join a club with the aforementioned fees, or drive ten hours to Minneapolis and deal with standard border guard harassment.

You might reply, "Yeah, but you live in a frozen wasteland. Of course you can't play tennis there."
But golf is also a summer sport, highly dependent on accommodating weather, yet I can pick from several dozen golf courses within and near the city to play.

Aren't most other cities climate mild for a guy living in winnipeg?:D

pundekman
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15046954

A little stats might help

BreakPoint
06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Eh? If you played Ferrer the 2 sets would be over in about 30-40 minutes.

Not if he ran me side to side for very point until I missed. :wink:

goober
06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Not if he ran me side to side for very point until I missed. :wink:

Yah and playing 18 holes of golf would be the hardest sport in the world if they made you run 20 sets of windsprints between holes, do 200 pushups and then wrestle with your opponents to see who gets to tee off first on the next hole.

JW10S
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Golf takes zero athleticism, that's why an obese man in his 40's like Phil Mickelson is a top player. That's all anyone in this thread is saying.Hey, let's do this--let's get the top 50 golfers in the world and the top 50 tennis players in the world and have them stand side by side with their shirts off and see which sport is more 'athletic'. Come on, in golf the player is not moving, the ball is not moving--in tennis both the player and the ball are moving FAST. Look I understand that a golf club is long and the hitting surface is fairly small and consistantly squaring it up to the ball is not the easiest thing in the world but let's be real, this whole thing that golf is so 'mental' is a joke. A stationary player hitting a stationary ball should be able to do it with jackhammer going off nearby. All those who say golf is so mental only do so because it is certainly not physical--it's all they have to hang their hat on. Sports Illustrated recently ranked tennis the 7th most difficult sport, golf was 51 out of 60 just ahead of cheerleading and a few below table tennis.

Maui19
06-04-2012, 03:45 AM
I think many of you have no idea what it takes to play golf well. While I agree that it doesn't require foot speed and endurance, it is still a very demanding sport. Swinging a golf club at 100+ while hitting the ball in the middle of the clubface is very challenging. Then getting that same ball to go where you want magnifies that difficulty many times.

I play both sports and can say with no doubt that golf is a much harder sport to play well, and a much crueler sport as well.

As for how everyone looks with their shirts off--that's not really a test for anything. A 340-lb NFL lineman isn't going to look very good with his shirt off. Compare Federer without a shirt to an NFL linebacker without a shirt and Fed is going to look like a sissy.

There are a lot of tough sports out there, and the physical requirements from sport to sport vary a lot.

SoCal10s
06-04-2012, 04:29 AM
forget the top 50 golfers and top 50 tennis players with their shirts off .. just look at the 50+ year olds ex-pro golfers compared to 50+ year old ex-pro tennis player's net worth.... who has a better life ?

Federererer
06-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I think many of you have no idea what it takes to play golf well. While I agree that it doesn't require foot speed and endurance, it is still a very demanding sport. Swinging a golf club at 100+ while hitting the ball in the middle of the clubface is very challenging. The get that same ball to go where you want magnifies that difficulty many times.

I play both sports and can say with no doubt that golf is a much harder sport to play well, and a much crueler sport as well.

As for how everyone looks with their shirts off--that's not really a test for anything. A 340-lb NFL lineman isn't going to look very good with his shirt off. Compare Federer without a shirt to an NFL linebacker without a shirt and Fed is going to look like a sissy.

There are a lot of tough sports out there, and the physical requirements from sport to sport vary a lot.

Chess is also very challenging. Specially for a 340 pound NFL lunkhead.

syke
06-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Tennis is more on stamina, endurance, speed & reaction. Golf on the other hand is a mental game and it's rather physically strenuous on the upper body. To be honest, I get more injuries with golf than with tennis.

On the whole Golf is just a much harder game to master compared to Tennis. Tennis is so much more intuitive for a beginner to pick up.

If I had to pick either one as a profession, it's definitely golf. Player's longevity is much longer on a competitive level. In tennis, once you hit 30, you are pretty much a goner.

Besides, I don't need to find a hitting partner with golf, I can pretty much do it on my own. For me, golf will always take a higher precedence to tennis.

jokinla
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
It's pathetic, yet every weekend, you can watch some non-major golf tourney on one of the major networks, yet tennis is nowhere ever, but as already stated, everyone plays golf because they can, tennis requires actual athleticism.

jokinla
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I made a thread about this before and got a bunch of people arguing with me. Where were all you posters then? :)

Sad but true, my good buddy played the Nats at the Zoo with me and now he won't step foot on the court, but golfs his *** off.

TennisLovaLova
06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Golf? I thought this was thread about the WTA :D

SoCal10s
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Sad but true, my good buddy played the Nats at the Zoo with me and now he won't step foot on the court, but golfs his *** off.

actually, a lot of my friends are coming back into tennis,because golf just got way out of hand.. the global economy is so bad and people can't keep paying and playing without working like before .. an executive golf outing took too much time and companies everywhere are tightening up their belts,thus, managements needs to be more accountable ...so after hours work exercise means tennis and no more Tuesdays and early Fridays off to golf..

Prostaffer
06-05-2012, 08:01 AM
From a guy who has worked in both industries the whole argument is interesting.

Tennis is cheaper and quicker, but harder on the body.

Golf people are more fun than tennis people.

Doubles can be a great social experience. Not as satisfying as golf where 4 people of all levels can get together and have a somewhat enjoyable time. Will there be frustations? Sure, but nothing to the level of a 2.0 having to play against a 5.0

Golf and tennis are both sports for life, but more golf can be enjoyed at a later age. Hard courts are just tough on the body.

Golf is a mental sport, so is tennis. Just imagine the last time you had to hit a second serve on break point?

Defcon
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Tennis is in fact at a huge disadvantage compared to most other sports esp in the US. First of all golf isn't exactly a sport. An 'players' in NFL, NBA, baseball etc who spend the entire season sitting on the bench get paid millions, more than most tennis players will make in their life.

Team sports don't compare at all to an individual sport. And tennis is especially difficult because there is no coach to guide or help you, unlike say something like US football where all you have to do is follow set plays with zero thinking required.

The average couch potato can identify with golf as they can imagine themselves doing it. They can identify with baseball/football as they grew up with those sports and they are very glamorous with all the promises of money, women, fame.

Tennis is just too damn hard. A casual viewer knows in 5min that its a very hard demanding sport with few rewards and virtually no media coverage. So why would they watch it?

syke
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Golf isn't a sport? Unbelievable... Just because it doesn't involve any running it doesn't mean it isn't a sport. There are other sports that doesn't even require you to stand let alone walk.