PDA

View Full Version : Crowd sounds brutal at RG

Matheson
06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Watching the Waw vs Tso match and felt sorry for Wawrinka. Is this what tennis audience is usually like or is it just the French people?

jones101
06-03-2012, 11:59 PM
The French CAN be brutal, but I think they were fair enough yesterday. Of course they were supporting Jo but they weren't being obnoxious to Jo, unless I missed something?

roysid
06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Remind them that wawrinka is french speaking swiss :)

firepanda
06-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I'e never seen a french player at RG for a while, oddly, but during the matches I have seen the crowd have been quite well-behaved. Wimbledon is nosier IMO, and the Aus Open is a decibelic cataclysm.

TennisLovaLova
06-04-2012, 12:20 AM
when Mathieu lost to granollers, the french crowed litterally booed the spaniard. Shame on them...
Actually the french crowd isnt brutal, it's just that the french in general are known for the "cocorico" attitude, they're actually very chauvinistic.
They think they have the best food, the best fashion designs and designers, best architects, most beautiful cities, etc.
only chinese tourists buy that bull***t imo
Arrogance is an attitude...

Russeljones
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
They are notoriously ill-mannered.

MG1
06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
when Mathieu lost to granollers, the french crowed litterally booed the spaniard. Shame on them...
Actually the french crowd isnt brutal, it's just that the french in general are known for the "cocorico" attitude, they're actually very chauvinistic.
They think they have the best food, the best fashion designs and designers, best architects, most beautiful cities, etc.

I don't know all this but i kinda like when whole stadium starts booing ;)

purge
06-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't know all this but i kinda like when whole stadium starts booing ;)

berdych seems to try to get there on purpose sometimes :D

srinrajesh
06-04-2012, 01:08 AM
definitely one of the most annoying crowds in the world.. support is one thing and being unsporting and booing is another especially t seems towards the spaniards

Gorecki
06-04-2012, 01:15 AM
definitely one of the most annoying crowds in the world.. support is one thing and being unsporting and booing is another especially t seems towards the spaniards

oh poor poor things... they are such big examples of sportsmanlike conduct....

syke
06-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Watching the Waw vs Tso match and felt sorry for Wawrinka. Is this what tennis audience is usually like or is it just the French people?

Seppi vs Wawrinka in Rome was much worse. All that booing really ****ed off Wawrinka, till the point where he was taunting the crowd at one stage.

rommil
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM

At least the French are knowledgeable tennis fans and yes very vocal and they know it and could give a rat's derriere if you don't like it.The Spaniards however are tacky, loud and try to sell themselves as classy and people don't know any better buy it.

purge
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM
french will be french

chrischris
06-04-2012, 01:37 AM
RG crowd is brutal....Compared to what? Wimby ..?

Tennis_Hands
06-04-2012, 01:40 AM

You mean, like Vamos-ing the UE of the opponents as opposed to celebrating your own winners?

syke
06-04-2012, 01:44 AM
RG crowd is brutal....Compared to what? Wimby ..?

Obviously you guys haven't been to an English Premier League match.

skip1969
06-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Obviously you guys haven't been to an English Premier League match.
word. try having sh*t thrown at you at a futbol (soccer) match. or trying to avoid brawls.

the rg crowd may boo a little, or whistle. but they've been very restrained this year in the matches i've seen.

Retra
06-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Too many years seeing spaniards devastating and humillating their sportmen in so many sports... especially in their Tour de France and Roland Garros.

1970CRBase
06-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Players shouldn't take no crap from rude crowds, especially not from Paris crowds. Just calmly tell them what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9OhLE3t4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6X32XN_dOE

Gorecki
06-04-2012, 03:08 AM
^this post has the aproval of Eufemiano Fuentes

merlinpinpin
06-04-2012, 03:23 AM
They think they have the best food (1), the best fashion designs and designers (2), best architects (3), most beautiful cities (4), etc.

(1) No contest there, France wins hands down.

(2) Depends. Italy is still regarded as the best for shoes and men's suits. You may have a point for women fashion, though (not that I'm an expert on the subject).

(3) Duh?

(4) I would say most beautiful *capital* city, and foreigners generally tend to have the same view. Not sure I share it totally, but there aren't that many other capitals in the world that compare favorably to Paris. Prague comes to mind, though, and I'm pretty sure I could find at least a couple of others if I really thought about it. Other cities in France? No way.

Oh, and by Chinese tourists, I guess you meant *Japanese* tourists... ;)

goderer
06-04-2012, 03:38 AM
As the french players get knocked out, it becomes completed one-sided in favour of Federer.

augustobt
06-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Seppi vs Wawrinka in Rome was much worse. All that booing really ****ed off Wawrinka, till the point where he was taunting the crowd at one stage.

I think that in that case you're wrong.

Wawa was ****ed off with the crowd supporting their home boy, so I think that he went wrong (that cost his psychological game) by taunting the crowd.

phnx90
06-04-2012, 04:28 AM

(2) Depends. Italy is still regarded as the best for shoes and men's suits. You may have a point for women fashion, though (not that I'm an expert on the subject).

(3) Duh?

(4) I would say most beautiful *capital* city, and foreigners generally tend to have the same view. Not sure I share it totally, but there aren't that many other capitals in the world that compare favorably to Paris. Prague comes to mind, though, and I'm pretty sure I could find at least a couple of others if I really thought about it. Other cities in France? No way.

I generally disagree with your points; then again pretty much all of this is a matter of taste...

1) Food: I don't remember who told me this, but I do remember someone summing it up for me a while back "French cuisine places a heavy emphasis on the chefs, while Italian cuisine puts the emphasis on the food itself." A generalisation of course, but my experience has been that French food lives up to expectations when you're prepared to pay a fair bit for it. Not so for Italian food. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying French food is bad, I'm saying Italian food is just better (especially on the low end of the price spectrum). In the desserts/pastries department however, the French wins; no contest. 50-50 on this one, I'd say.

2) Fashion: I do believe the French have the upper hand for women's cosmetics and bags primarily, the Italians for clothes/shoes. 50-50 again on this one, I'd say.

3) Architects: Not too sure on this department. As for architecture, I find London, Prague, Berlin and Rome are superior. This is partly (or mainly on second thought) because I don't find the two signature buildings of Paris attractive at all. I find the Eiffel Tower downright ugly, and the Arc de Triomphe an uglier, but larger copy of the Arch of Titus, which I think is still uglier than the arches of Constantine and Septimius Severus.

4) Cities: I find Paris' beauty overrated; I feel as though people proclaim it to be the most beautiful for fear of being labelled a heretic to suggest otherwise. It's got great city planning, and it's most evident when looking down from the top of the Eiffel tower, but Prague I think is far more beautiful. Not getting bombed for most of WWII probably has a lot to do with it. Me though, I think Rome is the most beautiful (the older parts of it, anyway).

Nope, I think Chinese tourists would be correct, if my experiences living in Hong Kong are of any value.

Gorecki
06-04-2012, 05:40 AM
guys... fashion trends these days have long shifted the gravity center from Milan\Paris to many other places.

Japan and Belgian designers are the hype among hipsters this day and age!

Ash_Smith
06-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Umm, you obviously haven't been to Saville Row or Northampton! When it comes to Suits and Mens shoes, nobody does it better than we do!!!

Oh, loving the xenophobia in this thread!

cheers

merlinpinpin
06-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Umm, you obviously haven't been to Saville Row or Northampton! When it comes to Suits and Mens shoes, nobody does it better than we do!!!

cheers

You *are* right about this--told you I wasn't a fashion expert by far. Sorry. :oops:

And the long post I just wrote for phnx90 got deleted before I could send it, lovely... :-?

Russeljones
06-04-2012, 06:41 AM
At least the French are knowledgeable tennis fans and yes very vocal and they know it and could give a rat's derriere if you don't like it.The Spaniards however are tacky, loud and try to sell themselves as classy and people don't know any better buy it.

no xenophobia here whatsoever..

consigliere
06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Crowds ? What crowds ? We ain't got no crowds and we don't need no crowds.

On a serious note, i recall yesterday that the crowd were cheering Stan's unforced errors a few times but ol' Jo made a gesture with his hand so they stopped. Gonna wait and see today whats gonna happen when their boy gets whipped.

tangerine
06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
The French just booed Murray for beating their Reeeshard. :rolleyes:

Yes, they are as ugly as their official RG posters. :lol:

At least the French are knowledgeable tennis fans
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac353/Nellydream/lol2.gif

Gorecki
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

at least they can tell a doper by their flag!

Peters
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't think the French crowd realised today that behaving like twits actually fuels a player like Murray. He loves being up against a bad crowd.

As soon as they started getting funny, Andy started obliterating Gasquet.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
The crowd in Rome threw coins at Borg when he was playing the final against Adriano Pannata one year. The French don't do that.

kragster
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM

at least they can tell a doper by their flag!

Keep it up guys, very classy.

Gorecki
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Keep it up guys, very classy.

thanks for the compliment mr. Moral Police... next time i have life altering experience i will come to you in search for advice on how to cope with adversity. meanwhile, mind your own if the subject doesnt appeal you!

kragster
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
thanks for the compliment mr. Moral Police... next time i have life altering experience i will come to you in search for advice on how to cope with adversity. meanwhile, mind your own if the subject doesnt appeal you!

Why should I mind my own when you guys air your dirty laundry in public. My moral policing is not any more annoying than any of the trash talking.

chrischris
06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Which crowd is fairer of the one at Flushing and the one at RG?

Russeljones
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM
krag don't mind Gorecki he is convinced he can order people around on an internet forum, a conviction no doubt aided by his firm belief that whatever he says to anyone is his own business. Perhaps offline he talks to himself.

15_ounce
06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I was in Daintree Rainforest National Park wildlife lodge/resort 7 years ago, and accidentally it was Bastille day. I was doing a night wildlife tour. A group of French tourists arrived at night and they start yelling, screaming very loudly, all night long. The resort's manager promptly asked them to leave. :rolleyes:

15_ounce
06-05-2012, 01:12 AM
I generally disagree with your points; then again pretty much all of this is a matter of taste...

4) Cities: I find Paris' beauty overrated; I feel as though people proclaim it to be the most beautiful for fear of being labelled a heretic to suggest otherwise. It's got great city planning, and it's most evident when looking down from the top of the Eiffel tower, but Prague I think is far more beautiful. Not getting bombed for most of WWII probably has a lot to do with it. Me though, I think Rome is the most beautiful (the older parts of it, anyway).

Nope, I think Chinese tourists would be correct, if my experiences living in Hong Kong are of any value.

I find Paris smells of doggy poo and ****s as well. The traffic is terrible.. hate it.

Gorecki
06-05-2012, 01:29 AM
krag don't mind Gorecki he is convinced he can order people around on an internet forum, a conviction no doubt aided by his firm belief that whatever he says to anyone is his own business. Perhaps offline he talks to himself.

Giraffe Fun Fact #1 : Giraffes use their markings to camouflage themselves among trees. Like human fingerprints, each giraffe marking is like no other one.

syke
06-05-2012, 02:05 AM

(3) Duh?

Nope definitely Chinese tourists... They make Japanese tourists look like backpackers on holiday...

These bloody Chinese tourists are filthy rich, jacking up prices everywhere they go. Bloody locusts I tell you.

phnx90
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Nope definitely Chinese tourists... They make Japanese tourists look like backpackers on holiday...

These bloody Chinese tourists are filthy rich, jacking up prices everywhere they go. Bloody locusts I tell you.

Yep, here in Hong Kong, summer sales have gone out of fashion because mainland Chinese tourists buy Hermes Birkin bags with cash up front, at full price. Property prices have gone up ridiculous amounts now, so everyone lives with their parents.

I'm not kidding.

Back to OP: yeah, the crowd sound like hooligans, booing everyone who beats their players. To think they say the French are the classiest people in Europe. <rolls eyes>

syke
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Yep, here in Hong Kong, summer sales have gone out of fashion because mainland Chinese tourists buy Hermes Birkin bags with cash up front, at full price. Property prices have gone up ridiculous amounts now, so everyone lives with their parents.

I'm not kidding.

Back to OP: yeah, the crowd sound like hooligans, booing everyone who beats their players. To think they say the French are the classiest people in Europe. <rolls eyes>

Hear hear... The sight of them squatting in queue at the doorsteps LV, Hermes, Gucci & Lanvin is just.... I dunno...:confused:

atptennis
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Look at the way they supported Tsonga today..its amazing Nole still managed to win...

namelessone
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
French crowd? What French crowd?

http://i.minus.com/igdk5lwoMk6B3.png

MasturB
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I find the French crowd to be very fun.

If you're not a French player and you've got them cheering for you, you've undoubtedly earned their respect.

Don't know why everyone is making a big deal about the Gasquet,Wawrinka and Djoko matches.

They are rooting for their home guy. Completely understandable.

Wimbledon will be a classy crowd because that's just the environment and tradition of that place. The Australian has the Davis Cup/International feeling to it, the US Open crowds the last few years are usually boring and only get up after a long point. There's more noise from the airplanes flying over center court, than some of the energy and noise the crowd produces in Arthur Ashe.

French know their tennis, and aside from all the boo'ing Murray because he beat Gasquet, there were plenty cheering for Murray because of the clinic he was putting on with his forehand AND backhand.

Roger's been an adopted son of Roland Garros for years before 2009 because they love his style, elegance, and beauty of his game. When he won in 2009, they cheered as loud just as if one of their own had won the trophy. I'd imagine with all the Frenchmen out, that they will root even LOUDER for Roger now like they did last year's semi against Nole.

namelessone
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I find the French crowd to be very fun.

If you're not a French player and you've got them cheering for you, you've undoubtedly earned their respect.

Don't know why everyone is making a big deal about the Gasquet,Wawrinka and Djoko matches.

They are rooting for their home guy. Completely understandable.

Wimbledon will be a classy crowd because that's just the environment and tradition of that place. The Australian has the Davis Cup/International feeling to it, the US Open crowds the last few years are usually boring and only get up after a long point. There's more noise from the airplanes flying over center court, than some of the energy and noise the crowd produces in Arthur Ashe.

French know their tennis, and aside from all the boo'ing Murray because he beat Gasquet, there were plenty cheering for Murray because of the clinic he was putting on with his forehand AND backhand.

Roger's been an adopted son of Roland Garros for years before 2009 because they love his style, elegance, and beauty of his game. When he won in 2009, they cheered as loud just as if one of their own had won the trophy. I'd imagine with all the Frenchmen out, that they will root even LOUDER for Roger now like they did last year's semi against Nole.

One thing I didn't like is that many of them left after Djokovic won the 4th. Way to support your guy frenchies.

MasturB
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
One thing I didn't like is that many of them left after Djokovic won the 4th. Way to support your guy frenchies.

McEnroe and Robinson said a lot of them were making their way back to their seats after the 2nd game in the 5th. Maybe the went to pp? :twisted:

MasturB
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZhgODsiYw

10:08 , Crowd gave me goosebumps more than Federer dropping to the ground.

dimeaxe
06-05-2012, 12:29 PM
They showed some hostility during the match and to me It's OK, they support their only player who left in a draw, but when I saw president of their tennis federation, this was really disgusting.This man is such a disgrace for French tennis, he booed Novak constantly, jumping of the seat, clapping all the time, cursing in front of him and what not...I'm realllllly glad for Novak, he survived this like never before,also felt bad for Jo, the crowd left the stadium just before fifth set when he needed them the most. so sad.

kishnabe
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
They showed some hostility during the match and to me It's OK, they support their only player who left in a draw, but when I saw president of their tennis federation, this was really disgusting.This man is such a disgrace for French tennis, he booed Novak constantly, jumping of the seat, clapping all the time, cursing in front of him and what not...I'm realllllly glad for Novak, he survived this like never before,also felt bad for Jo, the crowd left the stadium just before fifth set when he needed them the most. so sad.

The president doesn't have to hold the weight and neutrality when he is in the stands.

Everyone is a fan of tennis, maybe he was such a jotard or frenchtard.....doesn't need to act classy.

The-Champ
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Portugal has best architechts in the world and there is no contest.

Gorecki
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Portugal has best architechts in the world and there is no contest.

you mean Souto Moura & Siza Vieira?

ps: because we also have also Tavora, Byrne, Taveira, Graša Correia...

Wolfman Jack
06-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Very true, very true! I have posters of all of these fine gentlemen and other Portuguese heroes in different bathrooms of my mansion to serve as inspiration.

The-Champ
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Oh man, they are both geniuses but Portugese architechts pre-19th century were pretty underrated, Fernandes and Andres Soares. I hope one day I can come and see their works.

My neighbor is studying architechture in the university and in the curriculum they have to study Portugese architechts' masterpieces.

tangerine
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
See even Roger can't stand the rude Roland Garros crowd :lol:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55of1X8921qij2euo1_400.gif

gavna
06-06-2012, 12:01 AM

We have been here for the last two weeks and was at the match.....the reason for the booing was the fact Granollers in the last few games was doing the "fake" grunting and sounded like a wounded moose......BUT he was ONLY doing it on important points. The guy was acting like a dooche and only grunted ( AND LOUD) when the points were tight or he was behind. The moment he got ahead the grunting stopped......fans realized it and let him have it.

Wuppy
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Wimbledon is nosier IMO, and the Aus Open is a decibelic cataclysm.

True but there are no top-ranked Australian or British players (I don't count Murray). So the home-town fans have nobody to cheer for.

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Very true, very true! I have posters of all of these fine gentlemen and other Portuguese heroes in different bathrooms of my mansion to serve as inspiration.

that is when you make small replicas of yourself?

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Oh man, they are both geniuses but Portugese architechts pre-19th century were pretty underrated, Fernandes and Andres Soares. I hope one day I can come and see their works.

My neighbor is studying architechture in the university and in the curriculum they have to study Portugese architechts' masterpieces.

that is cool...

if you ever decide to come here, i'll be more than happy to drop you a few ideas of architectural landmarks!!!

(no joking here)

syke
06-06-2012, 04:20 AM
See even Roger can't stand the rude Roland Garros crowd :lol:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m55of1X8921qij2euo1_400.gif

Is that Goffin in the stands? He reminds me a young Ewan Mcgregor.

syke
06-06-2012, 04:22 AM
True but there are no top-ranked Australian or British players (I don't count Murray). So the home-town fans have nobody to cheer for.

I think Murray would rather be Scottish :)

syke
06-06-2012, 04:23 AM
that is cool...

if you ever decide to come here, i'll be more than happy to drop you a few ideas of architectural landmarks!!!

(no joking here)

Free city tours for TT members?

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
that is when you make small replicas of yourself?
Precisely. That is hilarious! Thank you for rising above your handicap to make a genuinely funny post. What a comeback! :)

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Precisely. That is hilarious! Thank you for rising above your handicap to make a genuinely funny post. What a comeback! :)

sorry. i dont play in that team. but i respect you for what you choose to be!!!

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Free city tours for TT members?

depending on what city, yeah sure. why not?

The-Champ
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
that is cool...

(no joking here)

noted. Thanks. I'll hold you to it :)

Nastase
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes but what are the french saying exactly...i have heard allez...but these gutteral sounds...is it a word or a french howl or what?

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
noted. Thanks. I'll hold you to it :)

no sweat. i live up north (oporto (http://www.europeanconsumerschoice.org/travel/european-best-destination-2012/)) so when in town, drop me al line. further down south, ill be depending on work\vacation schedule!!!

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 12:08 PM
sorry. i dont play in that team. but i respect you for what you choose to be!!!
You are on fire! :)

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
no sweat. i live up north (oporto (http://www.europeanconsumerschoice.org/travel/european-best-destination-2012/)) so when in town, drop me al line. further down south, ill be depending on work\vacation schedule!!!
Combining travel tours with your alternative lifestyle needs since 2012.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Sanford_Son_Laughing.gif

Borrelli
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

cheers

Fashion and timeless elegance or two seperate things. Fashion is more of a trendy in the "now" thing that people obsess over on a year to year basis. A timeless style like classically tailored suits aren't really considered "fashionable" by the fashion people. I personally agree with you though. Being classically dressed is much better then being fashionable.

Borrelli
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
We have been here for the last two weeks and was at the match.....the reason for the booing was the fact Granollers in the last few games was doing the "fake" grunting and sounded like a wounded moose......BUT he was ONLY doing it on important points. The guy was acting like a dooche and only grunted ( AND LOUD) when the points were tight or he was behind. The moment he got ahead the grunting stopped......fans realized it and let him have it.

Can't stand Granollers grunting, he is almost as bad as the women. At least the French crowd have the nerve to stand up to all the grunting (both men and women). More crowds should do the same.

Gorecki
06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Combining travel tours with your alternative lifestyle needs since 2012.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/Sanford_Son_Laughing.gif

the invitation is extendable to you and your Rafa inflatable doll!

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
the invitation is extendable to you and your Rafa inflatable doll!
HAHAHAHA. :)

ductrung3993
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
French crowd = *****tiest of all GS, slightly transcends USO

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
French crowd = *****tiest of all GS, slightly transcends USO
Definitely. The difference is the USO crowd knows they are being rowdy. The French crowd thinks they are being "cool".