PDA

View Full Version : Tsonga at Wimbledon

joeri888
06-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Last year, he had a great grass court season to really get back up the rankings. He was ranked about 10 back then I think, but after beating Nadal in Queens and Federer at Wimbledon, he's been a lot better since then. Made the final of the WTF (only losing to Federer), won Doha to start the new year, but disappointed in the AO for me.

He regrouped though and has had his best claycourt season ever. He beat Del Potro in Rome, and now a good claycourter like Wawrinka. He seems in better form than last year.

Therefore I wonder, how deep can Tsonga go at Wimbledon? Do you see him beat Roger again? Beat Rafa in a best of 5er? Challenge Murray? Continue his h2h battle with Djokovic by winning again?

I wonder what your thoughts are on his chances and his game on grass

Rock Strongo
06-05-2012, 04:41 AM
He has all the modern grass-court game in the world to win it, he just needs to pull himself together and he'll make a very strong showing this year.

Actually, should the grass still be semi-worn by the time the Olympics run by he could tear things up with serve and volley.

tata
06-05-2012, 04:48 AM
tsonga definitely has the game for grass.
He can serve big and has good touch for a big man.

nadal_slam_king
06-05-2012, 05:09 AM
He's French. You know what French do at the slams, they beat a big dog and lose to a big dog. Forgone conclusion (unless the draw breaks down and he only has to play one big dog).

joeri888
06-05-2012, 05:11 AM
He's French. You know what French do at the slams, they beat a big dog and lose to a big dog. Forgone conclusion (unless the draw breaks down and he only has to play one big dog).

So you say, he can reach semis, but no further probably? I think I agree. He can beat any of the big 4, but beating 2 or even 3? He most likely needs help from others to make the final (e.g. beating Murray himself while Isner takes out Djoko/Nadal or something, and then beating Isner himself)

nadal_slam_king
06-05-2012, 05:22 AM
So you say, he can reach semis, but no further probably? I think I agree. He can beat any of the big 4, but beating 2 or even 3? He most likely needs help from others to make the final (e.g. beating Murray himself while Isner takes out Djoko/Nadal or something, and then beating Isner himself)

Yes that is the way I see his chances.

papertank
06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
I think he's playing plenty well enough to make the semis again. He has a fighting chance of upsetting any of the top 4. We'll just have to see how he shows up.

jaggy
06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Depends on so many factors but I dont see him threatening much

phnx90
06-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I think a lot of this rests on how much faster (or slower, most likely) Wimbledon is going to be this year. Tsonga has the firepower to blow any of the top 4 off the court.

Next question is whether he has the mental capacity to beat the top players in succession, which, historically has been his biggest problem once he does go deep.

augustobt
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Fed will beat him. A pure revenge match.

kishnabe
06-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Depends on the draw.....but he can at least make the qtrs..before playing the top 4.

Xavier G
06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Quarters or semis for Jo Wilfried. The top 4 ahead of him, despite him beating Roger last year, but of course, Tsonga's chances can depend on the draw.

jelle v
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't think he is consistent enough to win Wimbledon, but depending on who he plays, I do see him getting to the semis, but that would be kind of an upset. I'm a little bit torn between quarter final and semi final.

joeri888
06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
If Tsonga plays his best on a grasscourt and keeps it together, he is one of the very best on grass. I think the surface suits him much better than current Federer, or Djokovic, or maybe even Andy and Rafa. Not saying he's better than them but the surface seems perfect for his game and if he plays like this he's already very close to the big 4.

Fedfer
06-06-2012, 01:24 AM
I think quarter final