PDA

View Full Version : Can Any top 10 player, play like this anymore? Djoker v Edberg?

lendlmac
06-05-2012, 06:47 PM
This is PHENOMENAL Serve & Volley Clinic..

Which sadly, even in today's era and group of players, can never duplicate or come close to... he was simply the BEST S&V of his era..and the last true S&V that ever played the game...

No one else can play like this any more...but I'm trying to bring it back here locally ;-)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_iiC4hiwk

SwankPeRFection
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
No doubt pretty tennis, but the ball isn't moving very fast. If you look at the arc of it after the bounce, there isn't enough speed on it to hit the back wall. It actually looks like it'll bounce a few times before hitting it. Even the serves are the same. I'm sorry, but as good as these guys were back in the day with their equipment, I think if you put them up against anyone of the current players with today's equipment, you'd see exactly what Borg saw when he tried to come back with his wooden racquets... losses.

BeHappy
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
No doubt pretty tennis, but the ball isn't moving very fast. If you look at the arc of it after the bounce, there isn't enough speed on it to hit the back wall. It actually looks like it'll bounce a few times before hitting it. Even the serves are the same. I'm sorry, but as good as these guys were back in the day with their equipment, I think if you put them up against anyone of the current players with today's equipment, you'd see exactly what Borg saw when he tried to come back with his wooden racquets... losses.

Chang was like Murray, a pusher with a big serve but a low first serve percentage. If you want to see power watch Becker or Sampras.

10is
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Do you realize how much quicker the courts are in the video you posted? Baseline gameplay hasn't become entrenched because of players own pecadillos... its a function of the slower courts which are not conducive to effective S&V gameplay. Increase the court speeds and I can guarentee a S&V or better yet an all-court tennis generation in the next decade.

Bobby Jr
06-05-2012, 08:30 PM
When I see videos like this it makes me laugh when people say Chang was better than Ferrer. Having seen both Chang and Ferrer play live many time each Chang ball-striking is practically in slow motion compared to Ferrer.

He may be been fast as all hell but you can't run faster than a tennis ball.*

(*except at this year's French Open)

vive le beau jeu !
06-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Chang was like Murray, a pusher with a big serve but a low first serve percentage. If you want to see power watch Becker or Sampras.
you're probably refering to this serve winner against lendl in their famous 1989 RG match ? :rolleyes:
seriously, even if chang really improved his serve during his career (managing to "out-ace" sampras in their 1995 SF at the AO despite losing, but that was rather unusual !), i doubt we can label him as a big server... or maybe you were just kidding ?

Satch
06-06-2012, 03:17 AM
When I see videos like this it makes me laugh when people say Chang was better than Ferrer. Having seen both Chang and Ferrer play live many time each Chang ball-striking is practically in slow motion compared to Ferrer.

He may be been fast as all hell but you can't run faster than a tennis ball.*

(*except at this year's French Open)

Chang serve was on amateur level.. to be real.

dimeaxe
06-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Do you realize how much quicker the courts are in the video you posted? Baseline gameplay hasn't become entrenched because of players own pecadillos... its a function of the slower courts which are not conducive to effective S&V gameplay. Increase the court speeds and I can guarentee a S&V or better yet an all-court tennis generation in the next decade.

Courts were quicker?!Dude you smoked some good *****:)
just look this, they're hitting the ball like amateurs today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYaFLDkQC7E&feature=related

Praetorian
06-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Courts were quicker?!Dude you smoked some good *****:)
just look this, they're hitting the ball like amateurs today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYaFLDkQC7E&feature=related

The guy actually makes a valid point, as it's a known FACT that the courts overall on the general are slower today than at that era. Just because today's player hits the ball harder doesn't dismiss the fact.