PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider great movement and defense "weapons"?

papertank
06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
And by defense I don't mean pushing it back or just being flat out unaggressive, I'm talking about when Nadal or Djokovic retrieve five shots that would have been winners on anyone else and then hit a great passing shot.

I just hear so many people talking about how its amazing players like Hewitt, Ferrer and even Murray have been successful when they have no weapons. They may not have flashy, aggressive shots that constantly produce winners, but their defense and movement definitely present a huge threat to every opponent they face.

BeHappy
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Semantics.

wangs78
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
It absolutely is a weapon, in the sense that it is a critical component of a tennis players complete repertoire of skills. It forces the other player to hit another shot, which can force an error, especially on very important points. It also wears down/puts pressure on an opponent, when he knows his opponent is a great defender he'll try to hit a shot more aggressively (more pace or closer to the lines) making it more likely he will miss. Every great player must have good defense, because there will be days when an opponent is playing lights out offense and without good defensive skills a player will not be able to stem the tide.

paulorenzo
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
turning defense into offense is a great weapon to have.

Swissv2
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Because great movement and defense is half the battle (the other side being control and offense)

10is
06-05-2012, 09:08 PM
They are excellent skills but aren't weapons by their very nature (and meaning) supposed to "offensive". Unless you're talking about ability to quickly transition from defense to offense of course.

DolgoSantoro
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
They are absolutely weapons. Watch this video of borg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yyuiEzBb7hk#t=73s
I'd consider Lendl's groundstrokes weapons in any era, but that point just shows you what they have to do just to win a point. I'd agree that calling defense and movement weapons does seem a bit strange, but I think a weapon is anything that will win you a ton of points.