PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Nadal's main rival at Roland Garros over next 5 years?

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Djokovic doesn't look much better than the Tsonga at Roland Garros, so who else is there? Maybe Almagro will be Nadal's main rival at Roland Garros. Nadal beat Almagro in 2008 and 2010. The 2010 meeting was Nadal's tightest match of the tournament - 7-6 7-6 6-4. Almagro seemingly has improved since then. Nadal may have improved too however. We'll see.

joeri888
06-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Nobody in sight if it wouldn't be Djokovic. Djokovic is not having a great claycourt season, but if he can somehow refind 2011 form, he's your man.

Nadal will always have a matchup issue with Djokovic like Fed has with Nadal. However, whilst Federer and Nadal are close to each other in consistency, Nadal is just been more consistent over the course of his career than Djokovic. I think the matchup still favours Djokovic a ton though. If Fed and Nadal and Djokovic play equally well (measured against the field for instance), Nadal will always beat Federer, Federer will always beat Novak, Novak will always beat Rafa.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Nobody in sight if it wouldn't be Djokovic. Djokovic is not having a great claycourt season, but if he can somehow refind 2011 form, he's your man.

Nadal will always have a matchup issue with Djokovic like Fed has with Nadal. However, whilst Federer and Nadal are close to each other in consistency, Nadal is just been more consistent over the course of his career than Djokovic. I think the matchup still favours Djokovic a ton though. If Fed and Nadal and Djokovic play equally well (measured against the field for instance), Nadal will always beat Federer, Federer will always beat Novak, Novak will always beat Rafa.

LOL that is hilarious. Nadal leads Djokovic 18-14 and 5-3 at the slams. Soon it will be in Sampras-Agassi territory (Sampras leads Agassi 20-14). Nadal's level slipped in 2011, Djokovic's level improved, and that allowed Djokovic to have his first successful year vs Nadal. So far in 2012, Nadal leads 2-1 and both of Nadal's wins were in straight sets, while Djokovic's win was in 6 hours (on Djokovic's favorite slam surface). A match-up problem? In which direction?

Magnus
06-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Hopefully Nadal loses so early we can sett two other guys comepte against each other. FO 2009 FTW.

roysid
06-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Nadal's main rivals for the next 5 years at RG would be

1) Novak
2) Murray
3) Tsonga
4) Del Potro
5) Isner

Magnus
06-06-2012, 03:17 AM
LOL that is hilarious. Nadal leads Djokovic 18-14 and 5-3 at the slams. Soon it will be in Sampras-Agassi territory (Sampras leads Agassi 20-14). Nadal's level slipped in 2011, Djokovic's level improved, and that allowed Djokovic to have his first successful year vs Nadal. So far in 2012, Nadal leads 2-1 and both of Nadal's wins were in straight sets, while Djokovic's win was in 6 hours (on Djokovic's favorite slam surface). A match-up problem? In which direction?

I thought "numbers don't matter". I guess they only matter when they favor your argument.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:18 AM
I can see Murray being there. He had 18 breakpoints on Nadal at last year's Roland Garros. Nadal didn't play with any confidence that year, but still I see Murray being in the ballpark.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:20 AM
I thought "numbers don't matter". I guess they only matter when they favor your argument.

Do you have a direct quote?

joeri888
06-06-2012, 03:21 AM

A matchup problem, for Nadal. He is probably always gonna be the better claycourter, and maybe even better player, but the MATCHUP doesn't favour him. That's not an insult, but actually a compliment. Nadal, over the course of his career, has played so much better than Djokovic, that if it wasn't for the bad matchup he is for Rafa, Djokovic would have something like 8 wins.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:22 AM
A matchup problem, for Nadal. He is probably always gonna be the better claycourter, and maybe even better player, but the MATCHUP doesn't favour him. That's not an insult, but actually a compliment. Nadal, over the course of his career, has played so much better than Djokovic, that if it wasn't for the bad matchup he is for Rafa, Djokovic would have something like 8 wins.

Wow that is a sweet matchup problem to have. When I saw Nadal stretch a 3-time AO champion to 6 hours, made me believe in Nadal for the first time on the AO surface (even when Nadal won it in 2009 he all but lost to Verdasco, and lost more points than Federer in the final). I never forecast Nadal to win the AO again. But watching that 2012 final, changed my mind.

joeri888
06-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Wow that is a sweet matchup problem to have. When I saw Nadal stretch a 3-time AO champion to 6 hours, made me believe in Nadal for the first time on the AO surface (even when Nadal won it in 2009 he all but lost to Verdasco, and lost more points than Federer in the final). I never forecast Nadal to win the AO again. But watching that 2012 final, changed my mind.

Yeah, Nadal played great, he played a far better tournament than Nole, still lost due to matchup.

But maybe "that's because I understand tennis, while you just look at numbers"

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Yeah, Nadal played great, he played a far better tournament than Nole, still lost due to matchup.

But maybe "that's because I understand tennis, while you just look at numbers"

Maybe you should look at number for a change. Not everything is subjective.

Your extremely vague use of the term "the matchup" is what's hurting your argument here.

Hood_Man
06-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Father Time.

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-06-2012, 03:31 AM
His knees.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Father Time.

Nadal is no Federer. The level of commitment Agassi found in his 30s is more comparable to Nadal's regular level of commitment, than to Federer's 2 year slam drought. Agassi became the fitness fanatic that Nadal always has been and always will be. And that is what will keep Nadal at a high level for a long, long time.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:33 AM
His knees.

You think he will stop receiving platelet treatment?

joeri888
06-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Maybe you should look at number for a change. Not everything is subjective.

Your extremely vague use of the term "the matchup" is what's hurting your argument here.

It's not extremely vague. If both have the same form against every other top 100 player under the same conditions. Djokovic beats Nadal. Nadal beats Federer. Federer beats Djokovic. Davydenko beats Nadal on HC (maybe also on clay, but they've never been equally good on the surface so can't say, it's certainly not a problem for Nadal there).

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:37 AM
It's not extremely vague. If both have the same form against every other top 100 player under the same conditions. Djokovic beats Nadal. Nadal beats Federer. Federer beats Djokovic. Davydenko beats Nadal on HC (maybe also on clay, but they've never been equally good on the surface so can't say, it's certainly not a problem for Nadal there).

So you think Nadal had a matchup problem in the 2010 US Open final and 2010 World Tour Finals? Nadal beat Djokovic in both, rather convincingly. And how about the 2008 Olympics? And btw, I have no doubt Nadal 2010 would have beaten Djokovic 2011 too. The only reason why Djokovic had some early victories over Nadal on hardcourt, is because Nadal has had a patchy career on hardcourt. He's a late-bloomer on hardcourt. And when Nadal is low on confidence, his hardcourt form suffers the most (2011).

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-06-2012, 03:39 AM
You think he will stop receiving platelet treatment?

I'm not here to speculate what pros do and don't do, and act like we know the individuals as if they're siblings. I'll leave that to the fanboys and fangirls, otherwise these forums will become very boring to them .

I do know that platelet-rich treatments and its variations can only replenish damaged soft tissue so much. It won't ever be 100%. That said, looks like Nadal's hurt knees are still better than most at 100%.

TennisLovaLova
06-06-2012, 03:41 AM
And btw, I have no doubt Nadal 2010 would have beaten Djokovic 2011 too

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m53pzbfGGh1rxgbxmo1_400.gif

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm not here to speculate what pros do and don't do, and act like we know the individuals as if they're siblings. I'll leave that to the fanboys and fangirls, otherwise these forums will become very boring to them .

I do know that platelet-rich treatments and its variations can only replenish damaged soft tissue so much. It won't ever be 100%. That said, looks like Nadal's hurt knees are still better than most at 100%.

Nadal had platelet treatment in early 2010 and then became the first and only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hardcourt in a calendar year. Oh yeah, won't ever be 100%.... Nadal actually describes his knees as 100% after the treatment. Same treatment he had before Monte Carlo this year, and this is the first year he hasn't dropped a set at Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome.

RedRae7
06-06-2012, 03:46 AM
If his knees and wrists are up to the job, for me it'd be Del Potro. He's basically a superior Soderling who despite his recent dips, once he gets his confidence back and stops getting drawn against Federer, is the guy who hit straight through Nadal's moonballs.

Djoko and Murray also have the game and mentality to beat Nadal on clay, but the latter needs a grand slam on another surface before he can realise his true potential on clay.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
If his knees and wrists are up to the job, for me it'd be Del Potro. He's basically a superior Soderling who despite his recent dips, once he gets his confidence back and stops getting drawn against Federer, is the guy who hit straight through Nadal's moonballs.

Djoko and Murray also have the game and mentality to beat Nadal on clay, but the latter needs a grand slam on another surface before he can realise his true potential on clay.

I have confidence in Soderling. Soderling beat Federer at 2010 Roland Garros don't forget. Not just Nadal 2009. Although Nadal beat Soderling at 2010 and 2011 Roland Garros, easily.

Del Potro appears to run out of steam too often, even when injury-free.

roysid
06-06-2012, 04:11 AM
I have confidence in Soderling. Soderling beat Federer at 2010 Roland Garros don't forget. Not just Nadal 2009. Although Nadal beat Soderling at 2010 and 2011 Roland Garros, easily.

Del Potro appears to run out of steam too often, even when injury-free.
Doubt if Sodeling will come to that level of play in 2009/2010. He has enough problems of his own.

In 2009 clearly the hatred of Nadal propelled him for that great match. Since then they have buried the hatchet.

tennis_pro
06-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Excellent thread, *** did you make this?

Oh, yes you did!

sbengte
06-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Nadal had platelet treatment in early 2010 and then became the first and only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hardcourt in a calendar year.

I wonder where I have heard that one before. Oh yes, from the greatest ever Nadal fan on this board. He is the only other poaster in TW history to repeatedly quote this fact :D He was a genius and a prophet when he foresaw Nadal becoming the best player of 2012 as is evident from Nadal's form now. Who would have thought that in 2011 !

Nadal is the only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass, hardcourt in a calendar year. Nadal has won more masters shields than anyone in history. If Nadal finishes with more slams than Federer, then Nadal is without doubt the greatest tennis player ever to have lived.

How we miss him :(

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Excellent thread, *** did you make this?

Oh, yes you did!

And well done on presenting a perfect example of the trash poster you are.

tennis_pro
06-06-2012, 04:15 AM
And well done on presenting a perfect example of the trash poster you are.

im sorry i cant help myself when i see r****** threads like this one

Raging Buddha
06-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Very suspicious, is it not, the timing of nadalwon2012's banning and the reemergence of nadal_slam_king?

Very, very suspicious...

tennis_pro
06-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Very suspicious, is it not, the timing of nadalwon2012's banning and the reemergence of nadal_slam_king?

Very, very suspicious...

seriously the mods must be high or something, he (they) should be banned months ago

vive le beau jeu !
06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Hopefully Nadal loses so early we can sett two other guys comepte against each other. FO 2009 FTW.
best thing that can happen to tennis.

sbengte
06-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Sorry OP, I got carried away and got nostalgic when I saw one of the quotes. Back on topic, I think NO ONE. He won't have a single main rival. There will be different players who will make the final against him but no one good enough to be called a 'rival'.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 04:22 AM
LOL yeah right, ban someone for talking about the same feat. Every Nadal fan knows what Nadal did in 2010.

Feather
06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
It would be even hilarious to assume that Rafa at age 31 would be competing in clay courts. If that's gonna be true, then Roger at age 36 will get a chance to reverse the head to head ON clay.

Again you are a gem to assume that in the next five years which is INDEED a long term, no one will emerge who can dominate Tennis other than your good old Rafa.

Raging Buddha
06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
LOL yeah right, ban someone for talking about the same feat. Every Nadal fan knows what Nadal did in 2010.

Dear ***, it is not the fact that you mentioned the accomplishment, but the way it was stated.

From nadalwon2012: "the first and only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hardcourt in a calendar year."

From you: "the only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hardcourt in a calendar year."

Hmm, let's see, the wording is the exact same apart from the omission of "first and" at the beginning.

Now doesn't that sound the least bit suspicious, I wonder...

Tennis_Hands
06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)

Feather
06-06-2012, 04:32 AM

lolz

ten lolz :)

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 04:46 AM
It would be even hilarious to assume that Rafa at age 31 would be competing in clay courts. If that's gonna be true, then Roger at age 36 will get a chance to reverse the head to head ON clay.

Again you are a gem to assume that in the next five years which is INDEED a long term, no one will emerge who can dominate Tennis other than your good old Rafa.

Federer and Nadal are OPPOSITE athletes. Why compare their physical evolution? Nadal is the greater athlete with the greater capacity long-term.

Nadal will be winning Roland Garros for many more years. The only thing Nadal should worry about physically is the Australian Open - 40 shot rallies on hardcourt aren't good for anyone, let alone someone over 30.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 04:50 AM

In 5 years WADA will be too busy trying to figure out how a 35-year-old Federer is physically fresher than everyone else in October.

Feather
06-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Federer and Nadal are OPPOSITE athletes. Why compare their physical evolution? Nadal is the greater athlete with the greater capacity long-term.

Nadal will be winning Roland Garros for many more years. The only thing Nadal should worry about physically is the Australian Open - 40 shot rallies on hardcourt aren't good for anyone, let alone someone over 30.

Anyone with common sense can understand the kind of Tennis Rafa plays is really hard on body and he is already complaining a lot. If you think he will win even at age 30, fighting for each point running like a rabbit, then good luck with that :)

He has 12 more Grand slams, that's three more years. After that he won't be playing at top level.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Anyone with common sense can understand the kind of Tennis Rafa plays is really hard on body and he is already complaining a lot. If you think he will win even at age 30, fighting for each point running like a rabbit, then good luck with that :)

He has 12 more Grand slams, that's three more years. After that he won't be playing at top level.

I bet you thought he wouldn't be having his greatest ever Roland Garros at age 26..... :lol:
Maybe you started to figure it out this year when he didn't drop a set in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome for the first time in his career.... :lol:
You probably thought he was done in 2009..... :lol:

Feather
06-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I bet you thought he wouldn't be having his greatest ever Roland Garros at age 26..... :lol: You probably thought he was done in 2009..... :lol:

I was shocked when I heard about his loss to Soderling in 2009. I was happy that Roger may win FO and Roger did win that. However, I was not stupid to assume that Rafa was done winning RG's at age 23. It's not the result that I take into consideration. After three years Rafa would be 29. Roger plays an effortless game and so he is not tired at the end of the year. At the same time I don't think he will be comfortable playing five sets on clay consecutively. Rafa can do that. But by year end he is totally spent.

Roger may win slams at age 31 but Rafa won't. After three years he would be 29. And you claim that he will win RG at age 31. You know very well that RG is the most physically demanding and you still assume that Rafa would be very healthy and winning RG after RG. Good luck with you ! I don't think it's possible.

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 05:26 AM
If Federer had focused on his fitness as much as Nadal does, maybe Federer wouldn't be in year 3 of a slam drought. No chance of that happening to 30-year-old Nadal. Of course it helps that Nadal is more dominant on clay than Federer ever was on any other surface. It's going to be a lot of fun watching Federer retire with a 5, 6 or 7 year slam drought :)

Feather
06-06-2012, 05:27 AM
I bet you thought he wouldn't be having his greatest ever Roland Garros at age 26..... :lol:
Maybe you started to figure it out this year when he didn't drop a set in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome for the first time in his career.... :lol:
You probably thought he was done in 2009..... :lol:

And RG is NOT yet over.

For guys like Roger, Novak, Rafa the competition starts only from QF. So Rafa is yet to play a match. We will talk after the tournament is over whether Rafa had his greatest RG ever or not :wink:

nadal_slam_king
06-06-2012, 05:30 AM
And RG is NOT yet over.

For guys like Roger, Novak, Rafa the competition starts only from QF. So Rafa is yet to play a match. We will talk after the tournament is over whether Rafa had his greatest RG ever or not :wink:

Yep you can wait and see how much of a has-been Federer is at the slam level. I've known for many years that Nadal would be the greater winner post-30.

sbengte
06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
After Nadal's QF match, I can now confidently say Almagro.

BeHappy
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
his knees .

Hitman
06-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Easy answer. Nadal's biggest rival will always be the French Crowd.

Normally, he knocks them out cold. But they are persistent, and some time do %$&* him up. 09 being the example when they got one on him.

zcarzach
06-07-2012, 04:51 AM
his knees .

Came here to say this. Nicely done.

SLD76
06-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Djokovic doesn't look much better than the Tsonga at Roland Garros, so who else is there? Maybe Almagro will be Nadal's main rival at Roland Garros. Nadal beat Almagro in 2008 and 2010. The 2010 meeting was Nadal's tightest match of the tournament - 7-6 7-6 6-4. Almagro seemingly has improved since then. Nadal may have improved too however. We'll see.

rafa's biggest rival will be his butt crack and his water bottles.

coloskier
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
His knees.

fednad
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
After this Sunday, folks on TT will be asking:
Who will be Djoker's main rival at Roland Garros over next 5 years?

The-Champ
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM

I don't believe in the matchup thing between the three of them, we can throw in Murray in the mix as well. Even though Federer has more variation in his game, theoretically they are all baseliners. It's about mental fortitude and who plays better on that given day when it comes to players of their caliber, IMO.

Matchup issue for me is two constrasting styles where one player utterly dominates the other on any surface i.e (Edberg vs Muster).

TheF1Bob
06-07-2012, 11:24 AM
*** and his comical threads. :lol:

ivan_the_terrible
06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Nadal had platelet treatment in early 2010 and then became the first and only man in world history to win slams on clay, grass and hardcourt in a calendar year. Oh yeah, won't ever be 100%.... Nadal actually describes his knees as 100% after the treatment. Same treatment he had before Monte Carlo this year, and this is the first year he hasn't dropped a set at Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome.

ok, this post truly exposes you as a ******* trying to insinuate that Nadal is doping via the PRP.

You blew it right there dude, you should've continued on with your previous childish posts, no one would've suspected your real allegiance. They really convinced the Fed fanboys that you were a ********, but now it's game over.

nadal_slam_king
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
ok, this post truly exposes you as a ******* trying to insinuate that Nadal is doping via the PRP.

You blew it right there dude, you should've continued on with your previous childish posts, no one would've suspected your real allegiance. They really convinced the Fed fanboys that you were a ********, but now it's game over.

You don't understand platelet treatment, do you? It's supposed to temporarily eliminate any effects of tendinitis. It is not a permanent fix, but Nadal describes his knees as feeling 100% once he's resumed training and is back in the groove. He had the treatment twice in 2010. Once in the early stages of clay season, and again just after Wimbledon. You really need to do some research before you talk about all this french crap.

NadalAgassi
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
His biggest rival will be the opponent called Mr. Age.

primetennis
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
If Federer had focused on his fitness as much as Nadal does, maybe Federer wouldn't be in year 3 of a slam drought. No chance of that happening to 30-year-old Nadal. Of course it helps that Nadal is more dominant on clay than Federer ever was on any other surface. It's going to be a lot of fun watching Federer retire with a 5, 6 or 7 year slam drought :)

he is not in year 3..he won a slam in 2010..only in 2011 he wasn't able to win..know the facts and then post..he has a shot at winning 1 of wimby and USO this time though..

TheFifthSet
06-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. :)