PDA

View Full Version : Would sharapova been even better if she remained a lefty?

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Sharapova is a natural lefty.....why on earth did her coach force her to be a righty? No wonder she ha shoulder problems .

Laver,McEnroe , Connors, Nadal all leftys ....what the hell were they thinking ?

joeri888
06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
They couldn't exactly know about Nadal, could they?

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 04:50 AM
They couldn't exactly know about Nadal, could they?

Good point!

Apun94
06-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Sharapova is a natural lefty.....why on earth did her coach force her to be a righty? No wonder she ha shoulder problems .

Laver,McEnroe , Connors, Nadal all leftys ....what the hell were they thinking ?

Woah... Didnt know sharapova was lefty

Jack Romeo
06-06-2012, 05:48 AM
she'd probably be kvitova

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Woah... Didnt know sharapova was lefty

yes she is ...they made her into a righty.

Boricua
06-06-2012, 06:01 AM
yes she is ...they made her into a righty.

Wow, she is powerful as it is, cant imagine her with her predominant arm

Mike Bulgakov
06-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Maria is ambidextrous, not left-handed. She did originally play with her left hand, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is her dominate hand. She writes with her right hand as well.
http://tennis.topbuzz.com/tennis-pics/d/2089-1/Maria+Sharapova+signing+autograph.jpg
http://www.wtatennis.com/javaImages/6e/1a/0,,12781~6888046,00.jpg

OldFedIsOld
06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Question is "What if she played ambidextrous?"
Lefty forehand and righty forehand, as well as the handy slice serve on both sides.

analysis_king
06-06-2012, 08:40 AM

well graf, sampras, evert, agassi, are all righties...

sunof tennis
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Maria is ambidextrous, not left-handed. She did originally play with her left hand, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is her dominate hand. She writes with her right hand as well.
http://tennis.topbuzz.com/tennis-pics/d/2089-1/Maria+Sharapova+signing+autograph.jpg
http://www.wtatennis.com/javaImages/6e/1a/0,,12781~6888046,00.jpg

I wonder which hand she threw with as a girl. I could probably learn to play decent with my other hand, but no way I could serve well and would probably destroy my shoulder trying

Cup8489
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Not to mention that one guy.. Federer or something..

And Djokovic too. lol.

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM

True but the number of lefties period are less.

Leftys give everyone trouble . Hell leftys Ben give other leftys trouble .

Even in boxing or pitching leftys are very dangerous.

The_Question
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
She would be even better if she keeps her mouth shut during play...

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
She would be even better if she keeps her mouth shut during play...

Nah......she is a screamer . I like that .....hint hint wink wink. ;-)

Tennis_Bum
06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Stupid decision to play right handed for a natural lefty. I just don't get it.

CaldwellYSR
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Well as a kid and a lefty it's not easy to learn when all the teachers are right handed. That's the only justification I can come up with. I gave up learning to hit at baseball a) because I sucked at it and b) because all the coaches were righty's and it confused me. So if they switch them young I could understand.

LeeD
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Her skill side, what she writes with, tells everything.

klu375
06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
In the Soviet Union being lefty was considered like a disease that needs to be cured. In kindergarden/school lefties were forced to eat and write with the right hand.
There is a video somewhere on the Internet where she plays ping-pong with the left hand.

BreakPoint
06-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Moya is a natural lefty who plays right-handed.

Nadal, wanting to copy his mentor and fellow Mallorcan in everything (including the Babolat Pure Drive, the sleeveless shirts, the headband, the long hair, the Nike clothes and shoes, etc.), decided he should play with his non-dominant hand as well. :)

SystemicAnomaly
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Altho' I did not see any mention of it on her official website, several other biographies claim that she is adept with both hands and played tennis predominantly left-handed until the age of 10. I believe that she was training at the Bollettieri's Tennis Academy from the age of 9. So it sounds like decision to switch could have been made, in part, by academy coaches.

http://maria-sharapova.org/biography

It seems very doubtful that her shoulder problems are due to the decision to play with a particular arm (unless there was something inherently wrong with her right shoulder in the first place).

Her skill side, what she writes with, tells everything.

Not really. In many cultures, children are forced to write and eat using the right hand. I've had plenty of young left-handed tennis student whose parents immigrated from China and India. I've also met quite a few older lefties from these cultures. Nearly all of these lefties write with the right hand.

In the US and some other countries, where left-handedness is less of a stigma, natural lefties are sometimes unintentionally programmed to favor the right hand. Many babies will grab things with either hand. Parents, without thinking, will often hand objects to the right hand. After a while, the baby becomes programmed toward right-handedness. While 10% or so of the world's population is predominantly left-handed, some studies suggest that perhaps 20-30% of the population should actually be left-handed.

I've met a number of people, like myself, who throw right-handed but play tennis & other racquet sports left-handed.

In the Soviet Union being lefty was considered like a disease that needs to be cured. In kindergarden/school lefties were forced to eat and write with the right hand.
There is a video somewhere on the Internet where she plays ping-pong with the left hand.

If Maria is a natural lefty, this would explain why she writes right-handed even tho' she is capable of using her left.

I came across a couple of videos of Maria playing ping pong. She is not particularly outstanding with either arm, but it seems, from the Ellen clip, that she is a bit less awkward with the right arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1DDqTvJqPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAhPZvsx84

JohnnyCracker
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
in some culture people eat, write, play tennis right handed
the left hand is for wiping ***
true story

nat75
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
See the bright side. In her 2hbh, her non dominant hand is really her skilled hand.

BevelDevil
06-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Did she have a lefty two-handed forehand as a child? I think that might explain it, if true.

TERRASTAR18
06-06-2012, 05:05 PM

youtube maria playing ping pong on ellen

SystemicAnomaly
06-06-2012, 07:47 PM
^ Hello, is this thing on? I already provided 2 ping pong links above.

sonicare
06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I write with my left. But play with my right.

Eat with my left. Parents tried to change it. Told them to **** off. If god wanted me to use my right hand, he would have made me right handed. What nonsense.

Bartelby
06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
She sounds and sounds a bit like Lisa Kudrow.

ace_pace
06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Its not such a bad idea. You have 2 dominant wings/strokes.