PDA

View Full Version : Is the Joker the greatest clutch player of all time?

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Down three match points against Fed at the open on Feds serve the joker hits the greatest shot of all time. A blistering return that made Feds teeth rattle. Fed double faulted and the list the next 17 out of 22 points.

Then yesterday I think Joker saved four match points. Tsonga crumbled and list the final set 6-1.......

It's mind boggling how well this guy plays at match point.

Djokodal Fan
06-06-2012, 06:05 AM
there is already a thread mate. Search for "Djokovic the king of Clutch"

Its bumped and there on first page or second

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 06:06 AM
there is already a thread mate. Search for "Djokovic the king of Clutch"

Its bumped and there on first page or second

Damn that was fast....the match was just yesterday!! Sorry.

augustobt
06-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Yesterday was more "Jo-Wilfried 'can't handle pressure' Tsonga". That FH missed on the third match point cost the match.

But Nole on the last US Open was phenomenal. That MP saved was brutal.

pc1
06-06-2012, 06:29 AM
I think a lot of the greats were known for being great clutch players. That's why they were great. Borg, Laver, Tilden, Gonzalez, Rosewall in the past were known for their pressure play. Borg was famous for coming back from two sets down.

Edberg in one of the US Opens he won was constantly coming from behind and winning five set matches. His rival Boris Becker was known for his clutch play also.

Pete Sampras was pretty good under pressure also. What about that second serve ace at the US Open one year when he was about to collapse? That was amazing.

The Dark Knight
06-06-2012, 06:52 AM
I think a lot of the greats were known for being great clutch players. That's why they were great. Borg, Laver, Tilden, Gonzalez, Rosewall in the past were known for their pressure play. Borg was famous for coming back from two sets down.

Edberg in one of the US Opens he won was constantly coming from behind and winning five set matches. His rival Boris Becker was known for his clutch play also.

Pete Sampras was pretty good under pressure also. What about that second serve ace at the US Open one year when he was about to collapse? That was amazing.

all true....but match points??? I mean WOW!!!

pc1
06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
all true....but match points??? I mean WOW!!!

It's always super impressive when the player survives match points to win. That Djokovic return against Federer on match point at the US Open last year was maybe the best return I've seen under those circumstances. Some have called it lucky but to quote Branch Richey in baseball "Luck is the residue of opportunity and design" Djokovic made that shot because he worked hard and had immense talent.

Pancho Gonzalez, if I recall correctly survived seven match points against Charlie Pasarell at Wimbledon in 1969 to win. Gonzalez was 41 that year. Some people have said if you had to pick a player to play for your life they would pick Pancho Gonzalez. One of them was Jimmy Connors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0gJzm_EQY&feature=related

Wolfman Jack
06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
He is extremely clutch. If he were not, he would only have 3 slam titles right now. Clutching allows Djoker to overachieve.