PDA

View Full Version : Federer and French Open and Wimbledon

McEnroeisanartist
06-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Federer is considered by most the 2nd best player ever on grass courts (perhaps the greatest, considering he dominated Wimbledon to a much greater extent than Pete Sampras.

As much as Federer's legacy has been defined by Wimbledon, does anyone else find it remarkable that Federer has reached the same number of semifinals at the French Open as he has at Wimbledon - 7. If he reaches the final this weekend, he will have reached only 1 more final at Wimbledon than the French Open. From 2003-2009 (7 years) at Wimbledon, Federer only lost to one player. From 2005-2011 (7 years) at the French Open, Federer only lost to two players.

Wilander Fan
06-06-2012, 08:41 AM
If not for the Nadal interruptions, Fed's career slam numbers would look made up...6 or 7 of each slam and probably a few calendar slams.

augustobt
06-06-2012, 08:46 AM
If not for the Nadal interruptions, Fed's career slam numbers would look made up...6 or 7 of each slam and probably a few calendar slams.

2006 and 2007 calendar slam surely.

TheCheese
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Fed's dominance at RG is always severely understated because of how good Nadal is there.

BeHappy
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Federer is considered by most the 2nd best player ever on grass courts (perhaps the greatest, considering he dominated Wimbledon to a much greater extent than Pete Sampras.

No he didn't, Sampras won 7 in 8 years.

beast of mallorca
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Thats why all the *******s hate Nadal. Sucks...........isn't it ?

stringertom
06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Thats why all the *******s hate Nadal. Sucks...........isn't it ?

Greek dramatical format requires the protagonist to face adversity to prevail against either self-induced or outside forces of challenge. As a "*******", I value Nadal's prescence and challenge (and now Djokovic, too) to Fed's dominance. It makes what he has accomplished even more meaningful.

OTOH, what many "*******s" despise, myself included, are:
1. Excessive time-wasting and bending of the continuous-play rule
2. Excessive and suspicious overuse of MTO's when things aren't working out during matches.
3. Frequent attempts to change rules in favor of oneself...two-year ranking campaign et al
4. On-court coaching from Tio Toni
5. Pre-match ritual of making EVERY opponent and chair umpire wait for cointoss and rules talk.

I could go on but I'll let other "*******s" and other FairTennis-***** chime in. My last thougt, though...long before posting on TT, I had nothing but respect for Nadal...the Kendrick comeback at Wimby ('06) was a prime example of what I hoped he would continue to display as a tennis player. If that was the zenith, the nadir also occurred at Wimby...the Petzschner match confirmed my contempt for his gamesmanship.

Virginia
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Greek dramatical format requires the protagonist to face adversity to prevail against either self-induced or outside forces of challenge. As a "*******", I value Nadal's prescence and challenge (and now Djokovic, too) to Fed's dominance. It makes what he has accomplished even more meaningful.

OTOH, what many "*******s" despise, myself included, are:
1. Excessive time-wasting and bending of the continuous-play rule
2. Excessive and suspicious overuse of MTO's when things aren't working out during matches.
3. Frequent attempts to change rules in favor of oneself...two-year ranking campaign et al
4. On-court coaching from Tio Toni
5. Pre-match ritual of making EVERY opponent and chair umpire wait for cointoss and rules talk.

I could go on but I'll let other "*******s" and other FairTennis-***** chime in. My last thougt, though...long before posting on TT, I had nothing but respect for Nadal...the Kendrick comeback at Wimby ('06) was a prime example of what I hoped he would continue to display as a tennis player. If that was the zenith, the nadir also occurred at Wimby...the Petzschner match confirmed my contempt for his gamesmanship.
I could not agree more. When Nadal first came on the scene, I was excited at the prospect of some new talent (along with Ancic, who sadly didn't fulfill expectations). The last couple of years, I have been sadly disillusioned with Nadal's fake humility, as well as the points raised by you.