PDA

View Full Version : And the rank for number 1 is up for grabs

jukka1970
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, the dream can still become a reality. I remember back 4 years when the summer olympics were on, and people wondered whether Phelps could take 8 golds, especially with the medly relay. I still remember the announcer saying no matter how many times I go over the times, France still wins it, and the anchor for the americans comes back, and gives the US and Phelps a gold.

Well there are some on the forum that think Federer returning to number 1 will never happen. After todays match, the shot of Federer returning to number 1 just got a hell of a lot stronger. Oh don't get me wrong he's still got a bunch of matches to go, and a tough one down the road. But as todays match showed us with the elimination of Nadal in the 2nd round, anything is possible.

I hope he can do it, I would love for Federer to hoist the trophy a record equalling 7th time, and take back the number 1 ranking.

tata
06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Wmby and US open will be crucial. Nadal is likely to go to #3 but the gap between him and #2 won't be much. The US open will decide a lot i rekon. Nadal has to defend a final and djoker the title.

GodNovak
06-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, the dream can still become a reality. I remember back 4 years when the summer olympics were on, and people wondered whether Phelps could take 8 golds, especially with the medly relay. I still remember the announcer saying no matter how many times I go over the times, France still wins it, and the anchor for the americans comes back, and gives the US and Phelps a gold.

Well there are some on the forum that think Federer returning to number 1 will never happen. After todays match, the shot of Federer returning to number 1 just got a hell of a lot stronger. Oh don't get me wrong he's still got a bunch of matches to go, and a tough one down the road. But as todays match showed us with the elimination of Nadal in the 2nd round, anything is possible.

I hope he can do it, I would love for Federer to hoist the trophy a record equalling 7th time, and take back the number 1 ranking.

No and no. They all deserve a better owner, and he is no one but Djokovic.

Murrayfan31
06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
And Djokovic will grab it.

jukka1970
06-29-2012, 08:28 PM
No and no. They all deserve a better owner, and he is no one but Djokovic.

And Djokovic may very well keep his number 1 ranking. As I said the chance is still there, especially after today.

What I will say is that unlike the womans ranking, the ranking for 1 after Wimbledon will definitely be earned.

woodrow1029
06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
And Djokovic may very well keep his number 1 ranking. As I said the chance is still there, especially after today.

What I will say is that unlike the womans ranking, the ranking for 1 after Wimbledon will definitely be earned.
The WTA number 1 isn't earned? Is it a lottery?

OverratedIvanovic
06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Federer can get back his No. 1 ranking but depends on a lot of factors. If djokovic manages to get both Wimbly and USO, Federer might well as forget No. 1 ranking. Although if Federer manages to win 1 slam, then he has a really good chance. He doesn't really have a lot to defend at Toronto and Cincy and Djoker is defending a title and a final there. Heck, Federer can even play Asian swing which he missed last year and gain a ton of points. Exciting few months ahead.

TopFH
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
It depends on his Wimbledon result.

jukka1970
06-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Federer can get back his No. 1 ranking but depends on a lot of factors. If djokovic manages to get both Wimbly and USO, Federer might well as forget No. 1 ranking. Although if Federer manages to win 1 slam, then he has a really good chance. He doesn't really have a lot to defend at Toronto and Cincy and Djoker is defending a title and a final there. Heck, Federer can even play Asian swing which he missed last year and gain a ton of points. Exciting few months ahead.

I'll be happy if he just has it for 2 weeks to overtake Sampras. Anything that takes away another record of Sampras makes me happy.

Actually Federer will be number 1 if he wins the tournament. Like I said before the tourney started, they put Djokovic on Federer's side for this reason. If Federer wins the tournament, it's impossible for Djokovic to make it past the Semi's as they would meet in that round. This was why the ATP put up the article that 3 people were chasing the number 1 ranking. Remember, Federer only got points for quarter finals last year, so this is why it's possible mathematically.

jukka1970
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
The WTA number 1 isn't earned? Is it a lottery?

No, but if you look back over the last few years at all of the woman who held the number 1 ranking, most of them did it without winning a slam. Now it can happen, but it's pretty rare on the men's side, and it just seems to be happening every few months on the women's side. Jankovic, Ivanovic, Wosniaki just to name a few.

DoubleDeuce
06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
It's not up for grabs,

It's up for grab.

By Rodge,

woodrow1029
06-29-2012, 09:43 PM
No, but if you look back over the last few years at all of the woman who held the number 1 ranking, most of them did it without winning a slam. Now it can happen, but it's pretty rare on the men's side, and it just seems to be happening every few months on the women's side. Jankovic, Ivanovic, Wosniaki just to name a few.
Ivanovic won a slam in her career. Only 3 out of the longest reigning 20 #1's on the women's side never won a slam. Safina, Jankovic and WoZniacki. Granted all of the longest reigning 20 men have won at least 1 grand slam, but by saying WoZniacki didn't "earn" #1, you are by default saying Rios didn't "earn" #1.

The whole Talk Tennis Warehouse "#1 that didn't earn it" argument never flies with me.

OverratedIvanovic
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I'll be happy if he just has it for 2 weeks to overtake Sampras. Anything that takes away another record of Sampras makes me happy.

Actually Federer will be number 1 if he wins the tournament. Like I said before the tourney started, they put Djokovic on Federer's side for this reason. If Federer wins the tournament, it's impossible for Djokovic to make it past the Semi's as they would meet in that round. This was why the ATP put up the article that 3 people were chasing the number 1 ranking. Remember, Federer only got points for quarter finals last year, so this is why it's possible mathematically.

Yea actually you are right. Federer will be No. 1 if he wins Wimbly. He will be 75 points ahead of Djokovic if he manages to do so. Federer should be licking his lips :twisted:

jukka1970
06-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Ivanovic won a slam in her career. Only 3 out of the longest reigning 20 #1's on the women's side never won a slam. Safina, Jankovic and WoZniacki. Granted all of the longest reigning 20 men have won at least 1 grand slam, but by saying WoZniacki didn't "earn" #1, you are by default saying Rios didn't "earn" #1.

The whole Talk Tennis Warehouse "#1 that didn't earn it" argument never flies with me.

Ok, let me rephrase it. Yes it's true that some won slams, but the point system doesn't seem to work on the women's side. As for Rios, I did say that it has happened on the men's side just much more infrequent. Yes people do earn the number 1 ranking, but on the women's side because of the way the points work, one doesn't need to win a slam to take number 1

joeri888
06-30-2012, 07:09 AM
If Federer wins Wimbledon, he deserves to be world no. 1 again. However, it would be interesting if Federer wins against Djokovic, loses the final and then claims no. 1 by for example winning Cincy and making USO final. Than he would be no. 1 without a Slam which would cause a lot of hating.

Federer NEEDS to beat Djokovic here however.

Btw, it's something different between Wozniacki or Jankovic and Federer. The difference is 16 titles. Federer knows that in best of 5, he's not the best anymore. Yet there's plenty of BO3 tennis so he may have found another way to claim the weeks at no. 1 record. You can hardly say that a 30 year old working a full year to achieve that and does it, does not deserve it.

TheF1Bob
06-30-2012, 07:31 AM

LOL at this ******. :lol:

jukka1970
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
LOL at this ******. :lol:

Oh really now, and exactly what puts me in the ****** category. I love people that make one sentence comments because they don't have anything intelligent to say. And Bob there's a typo in your name, you hit a 1 instead of the capital I. Well at least we know what the F stands for in your name and it's not Formula, though same number of letters, and what the I stands for is quite obvious.

brickner_damage
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Big waste of a thread. How can people justify believing Federer would beat Djokovic? It will probably be even more lopsided than their recent French Open meeting. Djokovic looks way better now than back then, and grass is helping his power. Federer looks powerless right now, being taken to 5 sets by a French guy..

jukka1970
06-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Big waste of a thread. How can people justify believing Federer would beat Djokovic? It will probably be even more lopsided than their recent French Open meeting. Djokovic looks way better now than back then, and grass is helping his power. Federer looks powerless right now, being taken to 5 sets by a French guy..

And yet stranger things have happened. There's nothing wasteful about a posting that is a fact. The number 1 is up for grabs, Fed would need to beat Novak to do it, and it's mathematically possible. Can Federer do it, is another story, and that part is an opinion, but the rest of the statements are facts. But lets face it, how many predicted Nadal going out in the second round? How many seeds have fallen already. And Novak is playing well, but even he has already lost sets against people in early rounds.

There's nothing wrong with you believing that Federer won't do it, the odds are probably mostly in your favor, but not agreeing with what's presented doesn't make a post a waste of time. But if you need an example of what is a waste of time, all the posts saying well if so and so played in this era, or something like if Becker played now he'd gotten creamed or if Ferrer ranked 5 now, played in the 80's he wouldn't have made the second round in any slam. (tried to pick players that aren't usually named in the discussions).

So now you have an example of the differences.