PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's Nadir

stringertom
06-29-2012, 05:48 AM
If his bullish breakthroughs at Wimby'08, AO'09 & USO'10 are the zeniths of his distinguished career, yesterday was certainly his nadir. Forget the '09RG ouster and the '11-'12 seven-in-a-row skein vs Djok...those were at the hands of cresting contenders. Losing to a grass neophyte 98 spots lower on the ladder in 2R says there is a hole in tactics and execution. Plain and simple...Rosol showed a gameplan that is sound for success if other players are willing and able to duplicate it...serve big and play first-strike tennis. Win or lose on your own courage, determination and skillset. Trade punches from the baseline and fo home. It's good to see a new face with a new idea as to how to defuse one of the Trivalry.

tank_job
06-29-2012, 06:22 AM
If his bullish breakthroughs at Wimby'08, AO'09 & USO'10 are the zeniths of his distinguished career, yesterday was certainly his nadir. Forget the '09RG ouster and the '11-'12 seven-in-a-row skein vs Djok...those were at the hands of cresting contenders. Losing to a grass neophyte 98 spots lower on the ladder in 2R says there is a hole in tactics and execution. Plain and simple...Rosol showed a gameplan that is sound for success if other players are willing and able to duplicate it...serve big and play first-strike tennis. Win or lose on your own courage, determination and skillset. Trade punches from the baseline and fo home. It's good to see a new face with a new idea as to how to defuse one of the Trivalry.

Errr... that's how everyone tries to play tennis.

in other news, I've thought of a way to win boxing matches: knock da udda guy da fvck out.

TopFH
06-29-2012, 06:24 AM
That's why we see so many 30+ rallies, right?

stringertom
06-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Errr... that's how everyone tries to play tennis.

in other news, I've thought of a way to win boxing matches: knock da udda guy da fvck out.

Ever hear of Ali's Rope a Dope strategy? Kinda the reverse of your analogy until he tired out "da udda guy" and THEN punch his lights out.

Sentinel
06-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Very eloquent post. i first read it as "extinguished career" and lolled.

What shocked me is that this happened just after a resounding RG victory where no one could get a set off him until the balls got soaked ;)

LuckyR
06-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Rafa was A) playing below average, which everyone does about 50% of the time, B) he was mentally out of it, which was more important since it led to C) poor on-court decision making, but ultimately Rosol was D) playing out of his mind, which everyone does <2% of the time, his just happened to be on Centre Court Wimbledon.