PDA

View Full Version : Which was more unexpected?

martini1
06-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd say Rafa's 09 exit was more shocking, although Soderling was a higher ranked player.

Hapless
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Rafa had won the AO in 2009 and either IW or Miami (can't remember offhand), and almost swept the clay season, losing only to Fed in the Madrid final after that brutal 4h match the day before with Djoker. Rafa had killed Soderling in Rome and was undefeated at RG.

Sure, Rosol was less of a name than Sod, but at least Rafa had a shaky match in Halle and the first round to make him ripe for a possible loss.

FedererDropShot
06-29-2012, 06:12 PM
2012 Wimbledon.

98% of this forum said Nadal was locked for the finals before the Wimbledon draws were even shown.

He had momentum going into this tournament after beating Djokovic, his worst nightmare, for the French Open crown.

It's funny how his Halle run is quite reflective of his Wimbledon run...

DoubleDeuce
06-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I say this was worse,

Judging by how Nadal handled it.

*He claimed injury after FO,

*Here he was coming from Paris fully confident having beaten Djoker 3 times.

*Sod was a seeded player. Rosol complete unknown.

FedererDropShot
06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
And the fact that Nadal is still in his prime not like an old Fed or an old Sampras who are/were more vulnerable to these types of upsets... And here people were saying that Nadal is the best grass-courter of recent times....

gavna
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Not even freaking close - Rosol a 25 yr old who has never shown a lick of promise. Soderling had been a regular in the top 10 and top 20. This is 10x heck maybe 100x bigger.

DeShaun
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
in 09 he wasnt quite the proven clay god that he is now, but the 09 loss was bigger, thought Rosol's beatdown was more spectacular.

90's Clay
06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Probably 2009 RG.

I have to say this wasn't TOO shocking if you saw Nadal's level at Halle or the first round of wimbledon.. The guy stunk to high heavens on grass this year.

I'm surprised Nadal lost to this guy , but he still looked like he was playing on clay at wimbledon this year. It was much rougher transition for him this year compared to years past for whatever reason.. I assumed a big hitter was going to take him out regardless.

Nadal has been playing passive and pushing and pushing on grass and dropping balls short.. Always a recipe for disaster unless its clay. He's also getting older and has ALOT of mileage on him for a 26 year old. Physically he's closer to 30 then many think. He's had a lot of injuries, a VERY taxing game.. You can only go so long playing like that anyways

Add to the fact Nadal is close to as UNBEATABLE as you can get on clay.. Grass?? Ehh he's a good player.. I certainly don't think he's GREAT on grass though.. He's very vulnerable to a big hitting aggressive, big serving player on grass.. And if the opposition doesn't mentally tank they can take Nadal out

Sid_Vicious
06-29-2012, 06:37 PM
in 09 he wasnt quite the proven clay god that he is now, but the 09 loss was bigger, thought Rosol's beatdown was more spectacular.

09? Nadal not an established clay god? Preposterous. :twisted:

People were calling for all top players except Nadal to withdraw and practice for Wimbledon. Considering how Nadal massacred Federer (and the other 6 guys he played) in 2008 and how easily he was destroying his early round opponents at RG 2009, it was one of the biggest upsets ever.

Soderling stopped Nadal from acquiring 8 consecutive french open titles.

TheF1Bob
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM

LOL the excuses. Rafa king of orange clay, no?

TeflonTom
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
4r has 16 players. second week of a gs is srs bsns. everyone there is there cos they are good which means anyone can beat anyone on the right day. sods was a big upset but he was a good player, multiple titles, lots of finals, had beaten top players and made second week of slams b4

2r has 64 players. its where the faves are still supposed to be beating up quallies. rosol had no pedigree, hated grass, never shown nothing to nobody. he lost 1st round of quallies last year ffs. shouldnt even be in the 2r, let alone beating the 2 seed n multi-champ

no brainer which is the bigger upset

DeShaun
06-29-2012, 06:46 PM
LOL the excuses. Rafa king of orange clay, no?

I apologize if this offends you but it took Rafa eclipsing Borg's to persuade me Nadal is the king. Sorry for my abnormally high standards of proof; I could have blindly accepted him sooner like some others have, but hey.

TheF1Bob
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I apologize if this offends you but it took Rafa eclipsing Borg's to persuade me Nadal is the king. Sorry for my abnormally high standards of proof; I could have blindly accepted him sooner like some others have, but hey.

Good reasoning, TheF1Bob always approve good sensible reasoning.

Well said. :)

Joseph L. Barrow
06-29-2012, 07:36 PM
This was bigger; Soderling was already something of a name player, had won multiple tour-level titles before the 2009 French Open, was actually seeded at the event in question, and was already well-established as a dangerous guy. A quick scan through his record reveals that he had five wins over top 10 players in 2008 alone (the year before he played Nadal at the French), had just beaten world's number 7 Simon in a warm-up event to the French, and had beaten Ferrer the round before he beat Nadal.

By contrast, I had never even seen Rosol play that I can remember before this match. He was a world's-number-100 who had never won a tour-level tournament, never even made a final, had only one top-10 win in his life, and had never even qualified for Wimbledon before this year. If you had gone through the draw at the start of this tournament and picked out the guys least likely to beat Nadal, Rosol would probably have been in the "top" 10. Soderling was a dangerous lower-level seed; Rosol was a member of that little fringe of essentially anonymous guys who somehow find their way into the draw every year.

martini1
06-29-2012, 09:34 PM
In 09 Rafa was

- World #1
- Unbeaten in RG, since '05
- Got some kind of clay surface winning record going on (although not a streak)
- Even *******s couldn't say he could be beat
- The yr before Rafa demolished Fed to win the title

I think that was almost a sure thing for Rafa.