PDA

View Full Version : Why is Federer like this on grass? Someone must explain this to me.

Wangtang1
06-29-2012, 09:24 PM
He has to stand so far to his left to cover his backhand it's ridiculous. It makes every forehand a defensive shot and he still can't consistently hit a hard topspin BH anyway.

He can do anything with his backhand apart from hit it as hard as he can and keep it in, which is the most important thing these days.

How can he dominate fast hardcourts but look powerless on grass? Is it because it's harder to slip on hard courts or something?

Federer has no weapons on grass against a good player except his serve and the belief that he'll never lose against anyone outside the top 3.

Murrayfan31
06-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Harder to time the ball on grass.

Russeljones
06-29-2012, 09:31 PM
This is indoor green clay.

BevelDevil
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Today was the first time I've watched Fed in a while, and his backhand seemed different. More stiff. I think he may have tinkered with his backhand to make it less whippy, and the result is a defensive push which is very exploitable. I'm not sure about this, though.

goderer
06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Look at R1 and R2...he was ripping his backhand in every direction.

finky
06-30-2012, 02:59 AM
For the first two sets, and sporadically thereafter,Feds movement against Benneteau looked poor. I wonder if he was either:
a)Suffering with stiff back
b)Struggling with timing (he said later court is slower with roof closed,which surprised me)
c)Benneteau was just too good.

Roddick I think was surprised how slow and high bouncing Center was against Baker.....if true, this will obviously not suit Fed.

ASH1485
06-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Its normal when he is losing or not playing well to trust his forehand more , his better stroke.

Any one would do the same on a bad day ... cover your weaker side

mcenroefan
06-30-2012, 09:33 AM
A couple of things...Fed is playing a bit hurt at times right now and his movement is not there consistently from match to match. When he is moving well, his BH looks fine. He had a long stretch of good health from the USO until the clay season when he tweeked his hip.

Also, Wimby and the AO are both using heavier balls these days and I believe that this hurts Fed a bit in his game. He has a harder time getting the heavier balls through the court. Moreover, Navratilova made an insightful comment at last year's FO that lighter balls bring more skill into the equation whereas heavier balls are somewhat of an equalizer.

Fed has been hurt in recent years by losing a step or two, losing a bit of stamina, and finally by the heavier balls at a couple of the events. Murray was not far off in saying that if the majority of events were played under faster conditions, Fed would probably reemerge as the world #1.

90's Clay
06-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Its called AGE. Once you get up there in age, its much tougher to have the same level at Wimbledon. Pete's level on grass went down big time too at wimbledon by the time he hit 30 because he had lost a step or two. Maybe more.. The same thing thats happening to Fed now 10 years later

cc0509
06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Its called AGE. Once you get up there in age, its much tougher to have the same level at Wimbledon. Pete's level on grass went down big time too at wimbledon by the time he hit 30 because he had lost a step or two. Maybe more.. The same thing thats happening to Fed now 10 years later

Yep, no question about that. Just watch Fed's 2001 W performance against Sampras compared to how Fed is today on grass. It is like watching two different players.