PDA

View Full Version : Federer is a better player this year, should therefore win the US Open

brickner_damage
06-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Last 2 years, had a combined 4 match points vs prime Djoko. Now Federer has improved, so should have the US Open this year, no?

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Even if Federer doesn't win Wimbledon, it's not a bad sign for the US Open (considering what happened the last 2 years, where he matched Djokovic completely at the US Open, after QF exits at Wimbledon).

Andres
07-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Last 2 years he had 4 MPs against Djokovic.

This year, he lost in straights against him at FO.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Last 2 years he had 4 MPs against Djokovic.

This year, he lost in straights against him at FO.

And Djokovic took out Federer in straight sets at the 2011 Australian Open. It happens. But never at the US Open..

TheF1Bob
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo7vqn9AQh1qkwc9zo1_500.gif

kishnabe
07-01-2012, 10:19 AM
2010 was a good loss....since Nadal looked unbeatable.

2011 was a bad loss.....cause Federer would have trounced Nadal in the final.

2012....Doesn't matter.....Federer Djokovic final. Revenge time.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 10:23 AM

True, good chance of them being seeded 1 and 2.

Apun94
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Nope. Was never going to beat nadal in 2011. Nadal played great in the final actually.
Plus, if fed and nadal meet in the semi at uso, fed is toast...

kishnabe
07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Nope. Was never going to beat nadal in 2011. Nadal played great in the final actually.
Plus, if fed and nadal meet in the semi at uso, fed is toast...

US Open organizers want Federer Nadal final. Thus they have no choice but to put Djokovic and Nadal in the same half.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
US Open organizers want Federer Nadal final. Thus they have no choice but to put Djokovic and Nadal in the same half.

That will be so weird to see (Djoko versus Nadal semi-final). Looking forward to it..

jackson vile
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
It has been a crazy year, you can't deny that. I don't see why Federer or anyone else can't make some more crazy **** happen, why not?

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
But there haven't been any unexpected winners so far in the slams. Djoko won the slam he's won 3 times, Australian Open. Rafa Nadal won the slam he's won 7 times, Roland Garros. Wimbledon will likely be Djoko winning (defending champion). No surprises yet..

Given his drought, I think Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise, compared to Djoko or Rafa Nadal winning it..

GodNovak
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
But there haven't been any unexpected winners so far in the slams. Djoko won the slam he's won 3 times, Australian Open. Rafa Nadal won the slam he's won 7 times, Roland Garros. Wimbledon will likely be Djoko winning (defending champion). No surprises yet..

Given his drought, I think Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise, compared to Djoko or Rafa Nadal winning it..

So I'm not sure why you think Fed is a better winner. Personal bias? Wishful thinking? Fed never took a set from Djokovic this year, and trumping Fed in straight sets makes Djokovic the better player. Match points mean nothing if you do not win.

Sentinel
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Last 2 years, had a combined 4 match points vs prime Djoko. Now Federer has improved, so should have the US Open this year, no?
What makes you think Federer has improved, my good Sir ? Which slam result is better than previous year ?

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
So I'm not sure why you think Fed is a better winner. Personal bias? Wishful thinking? Fed never took a set from Djokovic this year, and trumping Fed in straight sets makes Djokovic the better player. Match points mean nothing if you do not win.

What do you mean? You just quoted this:

"Given his drought, I think Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise, compared to Djoko or Rafa Nadal winning it.."

When did I say Federer is a "better winner"? I said Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise. Whereas Nadal/Djoko winning the US Open would not qualify as a surprise. What part of this don't you understand?

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 09:20 PM
What makes you think Federer has improved, my good Sir ? Which slam result is better than previous year ?

The consensus in this forum is that Federer has improved. The consensus is more powerful than one man's opinion.

Feather
07-01-2012, 09:21 PM

"Given his drought, I think Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise, compared to Djoko or Rafa Nadal winning it.."

When did I say Federer is a "better winner"? I said Federer winning the US Open would qualify as a surprise. Whereas Nadal/Djoko winning the US Open would not qualify as a surprise. What part of this don't you understand?

Hi ***, why is it that a five time champion winnning US Open a surprise while a guy who has one it only once, Rafa winning it does not qualify as a surprise? Could you please enlighten me?

NadalAgassi
07-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Djokovic isnt Federer's only potential obstacle at the U.S Open. Most likely he would have to beat both Djokovic and Nadal, and he hasnt beaten Nadal in any slam since 2007. A Rosol like miracle isnt going to happen everyday. Besides those two though there is also Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Jo Wilfried Tsonga, and possibly Tomas Berdych as potential major threats, especialy to Federer.

Federer is playing better than last year overall, and Djokovic is probably playing less well, and Djokovic still is dominating his matches with Federer more than last year. So it isnt as simple as you make it out to be, things do always follow the A, B, C logic.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi ***, why is it that a five time champion winnning US Open a surprise while a guy who has one it only once, Rafa winning it does not qualify as a surprise? Could you please enlighten me?

You talking to me?

If so, 2-year-drought. Any slam Federer wins would be a surprise.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Djokovic isnt Federer's only potential obstacle at the U.S Open. Most likely he would have to beat both Djokovic and Nadal, and he hasnt beaten Nadal in any slam since 2007. A Rosol like miracle isnt going to happen everyday. Besides those two though there is also Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Jo Wilfried Tsonga, and possibly Tomas Berdych as potential major threats, especialy to Federer.

Federer is playing better than last year overall, and Djokovic is probably playing less well, and Djokovic still is dominating his matches with Federer more than last year. So it isnt as simple as you make it out to be, things do always follow the A, B, C logic.

Djokovic and Nadal are still the favorite for the US Open, no doubt about that.

WhiskeyEE
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
lol @ Nadal being a favourite at USO. He'll be lucky to make the 2nd week.

GodNovak
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Look at your title, and my condolence for your loss (of memory). Which part of the title you wrote don't you understand?

Raging Buddha
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
His four titles this year in comparison to one as the same point last year may be the criteria being utilised.

Murrayfan31
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Fed has not improved.

brickner_damage
07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Look at your title, and my condolence for your loss (of memory). Which part of the title you wrote don't you understand?

No, you are just really blind. "Better Player" was in my title. Not better winner. Clearly since last year's US Open Federer has been a better player.

GodNovak
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
No, you are just really blind. "Better Player" was in my title. Not better winner. Clearly since last year's US Open Federer has been a better player.

Cool, but even if he is better than last year, he still won't win, because he has to be better than Djokovic, which he is not.

Sentinel
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
His four titles this year in comparison to one as the same point last year may be the criteria being utilised.
But Nadal fans only look at Slam results when judging Rafa and Fed, since Fed has not beaten Rafa at a slam in like a billion years.

If I am to understand these difficult matters:

1. when comparing head to head, only slam results are to be taken. Recent wins at WTF, and other Masters/500's etc are not relevant.

2. When comparing titles, then Olympics, Davis Cup, MC etc are to be taken, not Slam results (unless Rafa overtakes Roger's slam count).

Please use above objective criteria when answering Senti's queries.

FlashFlare11
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Federer has not improved this year. He is not a better player. His movement is not what it used to be and he's no where near as consistent. What's helping him is a renewed resolve to win a slam and his all-out aggressive tactics are helping him do that. We'll see how the USO pans out when we get there, but for now, aren't we just beginning the second week of another slam which Federer is still competing in?

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Cool, but even if he is better than last year, he still won't win, because he has to be better than Djokovic, which he is not.

If Federer has improved this year, that could be enough to convert a matchpoint (or to keep a lead). It's no fluke that he held 2 matchpoints last year (because he had 2 matchpoints the year before too). A thrilling 5-setter is the "norm" for the Federer Djokovic US Open matchup. Expect nothing less this year. And if Federer has improved (and if the forum observations are true and Djokovic has declined) then why can't Federer win the US Open this year?

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Federer has not improved this year. He is not a better player. His movement is not what it used to be and he's no where near as consistent. What's helping him is a renewed resolve to win a slam and his all-out aggressive tactics are helping him do that. We'll see how the USO pans out when we get there, but for now, aren't we just beginning the second week of another slam which Federer is still competing in?

Yeah but I don't think Federer can beat Djokovic on grass. The surface is skidding enough to make Djokovic's shots too much to handle for Federer. I think Djokovic will win their Wimbledon semi-final, without a doubt.

Murrayfan31
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Yeah but I don't think Federer can beat Djokovic on grass. The surface is skidding enough to make Djokovic's shots too much to handle for Federer. I think Djokovic will win their Wimbledon semi-final, without a doubt.
Actually faster surfaces help Federer. WIth that said, Djokovic is just at another level. It really doesn't matter what surface they are on.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Actually faster surfaces help Federer. WIth that said, Djokovic is just at another level. It really doesn't matter what surface they are on.

Nah, you watch, the Wimbledon semi will be really lopsided, while the US Open meeting will be as tight as hell. Federer can't play on grass anymore vs power shots, see Berdych 2010 and Tsonga 2011 (and Benn 2012, before Benn lost his mojo/physicality). Even if Federer is marginally better this year, he is still not great on grass when confronted with power. Djokovic has enough power to put Federer on the backfoot on grass. Whereas the US Open puts the ball in Federer's hitting zone.

joeri888
07-02-2012, 12:54 AM
i agree with the thoughts that USO is Roger's best surface now and that he has a good chance to win it. A lot better than Wimby, even with Rafa out.

tata
07-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Roger always seems a lot more aggressive at USO.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I agree Federer at the US Open reminds me of the head honcho in a maximum security prison.

Feather
07-02-2012, 01:49 AM
You talking to me?

If so, 2-year-drought. Any slam Federer wins would be a surprise.

Same logic,

The two year drought. Any non clay slam Rafa wins should be a surprise.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Same logic,

The two year drought. Any non clay slam Rafa wins should be a surprise.

Within the last 2 years Rafa Nadal won Wimbledon and the US Open (and was in 3 other non-clay slam finals).

But Federer had 2 matchpoints vs Djokovic at last year's US Open final so Federer is closer to beating Djokovic at the US Open (based on last year at least).

Rippy
07-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm guessing brickner_damage is nadalslamking...

Feather
07-02-2012, 02:46 AM

Why would anyone open a topic about Roger Federer and US open when another major is happening? :)

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Why would anyone open a topic about Roger Federer and US open when another major is happening? :)

It's a forgone conclusion that Federer won't beat Djoko here, so just looking at what is most relevant now for Federer (in addition to the Olympics)..

TennisLovaLova
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
I miss the way *** would have trolled this thread

Feather
07-02-2012, 02:55 AM
It's a forgone conclusion that Federer won't beat Djoko here, so just looking at what is most relevant now for Federer (in addition to the Olympics)..

Only for you, not for others. The guy whom you says "he is gonna lose in three sets", is a six time champion here. I feel Roger has more chances to win, but that's me :)

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Only for you, not for others. The guy whom you says "he is gonna lose in three sets", is a six time champion here. I feel Roger has more chances to win, but that's me :)

Those days are long gone, and 3 of those Wimbledon finals he won were vs Roddick (including a very close 2009 final), and a couple were vs young Nadal. That's 5 of his 6 titles, so I think we can see how the level of competition is quite different today. Guys hitting harder off the ground now (Tsonga, Berdych, Djokovic).

joeri888
07-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Those days are long gone, and 3 of those Wimbledon finals he won were vs Roddick (including a very close 2009 final), and a couple were vs young Nadal. That's 5 of his 6 titles, so I think we can see how the level of competition is quite different today. Guys hitting harder off the ground now (Tsonga, Berdych, Djokovic).

I bet you that prime Roddick would school those 3 on (halfdecent) grass, except for maybe Djoker 2.0 just because of sublime confidence, but this year's djoko would have a really tough time.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 03:09 AM
I bet you that prime Roddick would school those 3 on (halfdecent) grass, except for maybe Djoker 2.0 just because of sublime confidence, but this year's djoko would have a really tough time.

For sure Djokovic would school Roddick. Best returner in the game, and best or equal best baseliner too.

I like Tsonga's chances vs prime Roddick, a lot. Berdych is very inconsistent, so yeah Roddick over him without a doubt.

Feather
07-02-2012, 03:09 AM

Now that Rafa is lost, this is the main intention of the OP, to "talk" about the Roger Novak SF. It reminds me of how TeamNaal used to talk about this much anticipated Wimbledon SF :)

tlm
07-02-2012, 03:25 AM
These dreamer fed threads never stop, he is done winning majors but the fed fans cannot accept it. How many of these threads have there been in the last couple of years? Fed is better now than ever and on +on.

He has not won a major in years rarely ever makes a final, but yet again this year he is a better player. It gets beyond ridiculous, but keep it up because it never hurts to dream.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 03:34 AM
These dreamer fed threads never stop, he is done winning majors but the fed fans cannot accept it. How many of these threads have there been in the last couple of years? Fed is better now than ever and on +on.

He has not won a major in years rarely ever makes a final, but yet again this year he is a better player. It gets beyond ridiculous, but keep it up because it never hurts to dream.

Yeah, Federer is better this year than last year, without a doubt. That is the intention of the title. Federer is a better player this year than he was last year. And because he had 2 matchpoints vs Djokovic last year at the US Open, he has an excellent chance this year at the US Open.

FlashFlare11
07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Yeah, Federer is better this year than last year, without a doubt. That is the intention of the title. Federer is a better player this year than he was last year. And because he had 2 matchpoints vs Djokovic last year at the US Open, he has an excellent chance this year at the US Open.

But then what happens if Federer were to lose to Djokovic without getting even a single MP at the USO this year?

Again, I don't see how Federer's improved "where it matters". His slam results haven't been as good as last year's (2011 AO SF and RG F compared to 2012 AO SF and RG SF). He's still only made it to the fourth round of Wimbledon, so let's not pretend he's already made it past the quarters, a place he hasn't advanced past in three years.

I don't see how he's better.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 04:15 AM
But then what happens if Federer were to lose to Djokovic without getting even a single MP at the USO this year?

Again, I don't see how Federer's improved "where it matters". His slam results haven't been as good as last year's (2011 AO SF and RG F compared to 2012 AO SF and RG SF). He's still only made it to the fourth round of Wimbledon, so let's not pretend he's already made it past the quarters, a place he hasn't advanced past in three years.

I don't see how he's better.

Anything is possible, obviously. Not sure what you are asking though when you say "what happens"...

Federer was better at the Australian Open this year.
Federer was better at Roland Garros last year.
And Federer was better at the non-slams this year.

zagor
07-02-2012, 04:20 AM

Yup, no doubt about it.

The OP is not a Fed fan.

FlashFlare11
07-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Anything is possible, obviously. Not sure what you are asking though when you say "what happens"...

Federer was better at the Australian Open this year.
Federer was better at Roland Garros last year.
And Federer was better at the non-slams this year.

I'm asking "what happens" because if what I said occurs, the entire premise of the thread is gone.

And Federer performed about the same at AO this year and worse at RG this year compared to last year. Sure, he performed better in non-slam competition, but it doesn't mean much going into the slams.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm asking "what happens" because if what I said occurs, the entire premise of the thread is gone.

And Federer performed about the same at AO this year and worse at RG this year compared to last year. Sure, he performed better in non-slam competition, but it doesn't mean much going into the slams.

The premise of the thread is always present. So you don't have a point with that statement.

Nah, Federer won the first set vs Rafa Nadal in the semi at Australia this year. Compare that to losing to Djokovic in straight sets at the 2011 Australian Open semi... How often does Federer win the 1st set vs Rafa Nadal at a slam? 2007 Wimbledon was the previous time.

Federer has been substantially more consistent this year overall than 2011. He is more reliable, and more likely to maintain a high level. That is what the non-slams proves.

FlashFlare11
07-02-2012, 04:50 AM
The premise of the thread is always present. So you don't have a point with that statement.

Nah, Federer won the first set vs Rafa Nadal in the semi at Australia this year. Compare that to losing to Djokovic in straight sets at the 2011 Australian Open semi... How often does Federer win the 1st set vs Rafa Nadal at a slam? 2007 Wimbledon was the previous time.

Federer has been substantially more consistent this year overall than 2011. He is more reliable, and more likely to maintain a high level. That is what the non-slams proves.

Yeah but Djokovic is a better player than Nadal at AO. Federer won the first set against Nadal at RG before. I wouldn't say winning sets against particular opponents is entirely indicative of an improvement in play.

He has played much more consistently in the Masters and 500 series events, but for Federer, unless he's transitioning that game into the slams and winnning, it doesn't mean much.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Yeah but Djokovic is a better player than Nadal at AO. Federer won the first set against Nadal at RG before. I wouldn't say winning sets against particular opponents is entirely indicative of an improvement in play.

He has played much more consistently in the Masters and 500 series events, but for Federer, unless he's transitioning that game into the slams and winnning, it doesn't mean much.

LOL, Djokovic better at the AO? By 7-5 in the 5th set....hardly impressive. And Nadal has always hurt Federer at the slams more than anyone, including Djokovic.

Federer's consistency at the Masters doesn't mean much, but it still means he's been better this year overall.

FlashFlare11
07-02-2012, 05:08 AM
LOL, Djokovic better at the AO? By 7-5 in the 5th set....hardly impressive. And Nadal has always hurt Federer at the slams more than anyone, including Djokovic.

Federer's consistency at the Masters doesn't mean much, but it still means he's been better this year overall.

Djokovic has 2 AO titles to Nadal's 1. And Djokovic beat Nadal there in their only encounter there. More titles and better head-to-head record there leads me to believe Djokovic is better at the AO. Federer played well against both Djokovic in 2011 and Nadal in 2012. But at RG, he looked pretty bad this year, dropping sets to everyone but his first-round opponent.

As for his Masters matches, I don't think he's improved so much as he turned up in more of them. He was more consistent but as a player, I haven't seen any improvements. He just seems more determined to win.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Djokovic has 2 AO titles to Nadal's 1. And Djokovic beat Nadal there in their only encounter there. More titles and better head-to-head record there leads me to believe Djokovic is better at the AO. Federer played well against both Djokovic in 2011 and Nadal in 2012. But at RG, he looked pretty bad this year, dropping sets to everyone but his first-round opponent.

As for his Masters matches, I don't think he's improved so much as he turned up in more of them. He was more consistent but as a player, I haven't seen any improvements. He just seems more determined to win.

You can ask Federer and I'm sure he will tell you he's more proud of his level vs Rafa Nadal at the 2012 AO than his level vs Djokovic at the 2011 AO. It's not even close. Federer played better at the 2012 AO, no doubt about that.

Federer has played better this yera, and the results prove it, at the Masters events (including a win over Nadal at Indian Wells).

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 05:38 AM
FedGimp will defo win the USO, he is a year older, and slower. Plus he will be tired after a long first 2/3 of the season with Olympics etc, and the fact that mentally he will be even worse than usual after Chokerer (available for a limited time only, the last week of the USO) appears. He will lose to Nadal in the semi-final like this;

0-6, 0-6, 7-6(12 match points choked), 7-6(16 match points choked), 6-0(17 break points choked)

Djokodal Fan
07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
The consensus in this forum is that Federer has improved. The consensus is more powerful than one man's opinion.

Small correction.... consensus of who....Fed Fans? Then yes. Results tell it's other way around!

Def
07-02-2012, 12:02 PM

3 titles, 2008, 2011-12

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM

They are trolling very hard now, but because they are such a large number, their trolling is always excused. It's so unfair, but I guess that's how it works in this forum.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Djokovic has three, so please get your facts right before anyone labels you as a troll.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Small correction.... consensus of who....Fed Fans? Then yes. Results tell it's other way around!

Consensus of *******s, yes. They think they run this place, and that everything they think is the consensus.