PDA

View Full Version : I never saw Fed or Rafa stretching like this???

dimeaxe
06-30-2012, 05:49 AM
:)
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555607_10150927508108732_1093710463_n.jpg

Frying Pan Forehand
06-30-2012, 05:59 AM
That's a static stretch i think, does he have a medieval-age physician, because recent studies proved that static stretches are really bad, they impair muscle performance and actually fatigue the muscles and they don't prevent any injury.

Swissv2
06-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Djokovic's other profession is a ballerina. He has to keep limber.

Vule
06-30-2012, 06:12 AM
That's a static stretch i think, does he have a medieval-age physician, because recent studies proved that static stretches are really bad, they impair muscle performance and actually fatigue the muscles and they don't prevent any injury.

That's true. Generally you should only do dynamic stretches before a match or practice for the reasoning you stated. But static stretches are still good to do afterwards (before resting/recovering) to maintain flexibility.

*Val*
06-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Djokovic is extremely flexible (naturally), which is one of the reasons why he looks like a ridiculous spider on court (which annoys me)

Federererer
06-30-2012, 06:20 AM
What's the best stretch for improving and maintaining hamstring flexibility?

BullDogTennis
06-30-2012, 06:57 AM

that is a false statement. although, you do want MORE dynamic stretches before, some static is good.

MDCCLXXVI
06-30-2012, 06:59 AM

That is incorrect.

Static stretches before performance are very bad. It makes your muscles temporarily weaker and less able to protect your ligaments, joints, tendons and bones.

Static stretches after performance or training are very good, provided you have 24hrs including a good sleep between stretching and performing.

This lengthens connective tissue without making you weaker and more susceptible to injury.

TheF1Bob
06-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Neither are SOG material hence their lack of athleticism.

Fact.

MDCCLXXVI
06-30-2012, 07:04 AM
What's the best stretch for improving and maintaining hamstring flexibility?

Static stretch your hamstrings and hip flexors out each evening, assuming you've done some physical activity earlier in the day, for increased flexibility.

- You have to do it EVERY NIGHT for two to three months to actually achieve good flexibility. If you are stiff though, you will notice a difference after a few sessions.

- Once you achieve this flexibility, you can maintain it with just one or two nights a week.

- Hold the stretch for up to a minute on each leg. Spend 15-20 minutes stretching your hamstrings, quads, glutes, and hip flexors. Groin as well, I don't stretch groin enough and I should.

- I generally hold a stretch for 60 seconds each leg, 5 repetitions, so around 10-11 minutes to stretch out hamstrings, then move to hip flexors, etc. I spend extra time on hamstrings because my profession is sedentary and seated.

- Its best if you have something to watch while stretching, because IMO its very boring. Put the tele on or something and find a way to stretch while watching in the evening.

kishnabe
06-30-2012, 07:19 AM

They impair muscle performance by 20 percent for 30 min. They do prevent injury.....and should be done after a workout or a match.

Before a match Dynamic stretching is what you should do.

Djokovic is damm flexible.

SystemicAnomaly
06-30-2012, 07:25 AM
that is a false statement. although, you do want MORE dynamic stretches before, some static is good.

Nope, static stretches should be avoided prior to tennis. Quite a bit of research in the past 2 decades has shown that static stretches reduce performance temporarily. Dynamic stretches are preferred prior to tennis. Do that static stretches after tennis or an hour before tennis (or light short-duration static stretches 30 minutes prior to tennis).

Clarky21
06-30-2012, 08:00 AM
This crap deserved its own thread? Come on,people. :roll:

Frying Pan Forehand
06-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Djokovic the spider
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2009/01/02/1111120/673017-creepiest-spider-pictures.jpg

Tony48
06-30-2012, 08:11 AM

I feel the same way about every last one of your posts.

TheF1Bob
06-30-2012, 08:12 AM

Know your place, Novak is the greatest player to ever grace the earth.

Period.

Chezbeeno
06-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Functional muscle strength is much more useful than muscle length and flexibility. That stretch Djokovic is doing is useless.

ctoth666
06-30-2012, 08:54 PM
That is incorrect.

Static stretches before performance are very bad. It makes your muscles temporarily weaker and less able to protect your ligaments, joints, tendons and bones.

Static stretches after performance or training are very good, provided you have 24hrs including a good sleep between stretching and performing.

This lengthens connective tissue without making you weaker and more susceptible to injury.

Precisely. For anyone who contests this statement, it's as simple as finding out for yourself through trial and error. I remember once going through some static hamstring stretches before performing some squats at the gym and it was quite a scene when I couldn't sit or bend over about 20 minutes afterward. Bad idea.

DeShaun
06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Functional muscle strength is much more useful than muscle length and flexibility. That stretch Djokovic is doing is useless.

I too do the same stretch seen in this pic (one leg up, with my torso bent down towards my opposite knee). I cannot raise my leg as high as Novak can. The reason why I do this stretch is because it relieves my groin tension like no other stretch, helping me to manage sports hernia symptoms.