PDA

View Full Version : No 5th set tiebreaker rule.

Wilander Fan
06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
They need to drop this insane rule. I am watching the Cilic/Querry match and the tournament is pretty much over at this point for both guys regardless of who wins the match.

joeri888
06-30-2012, 11:23 AM
They need to drop this insane rule. I am watching the Cilic/Querry match and the tournament is pretty much over at this point for both guys regardless of who wins the match.

Who cares? The spectators pay. If they can't beat Cilic/Querrey faster, they have no business in the quarters anyway. These kinda matches are THE BEST. Why ruin it because it can ruin their chances. They do it to themselves, no?

Leto
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Who cares? The spectators pay. If they can't beat Cilic/Querrey faster, they have no business in the quarters anyway. These kinda matches are THE BEST. Why ruin it because it can ruin their chances. They do it to themselves, no?

Agree with this.

And while they ruin their own chances by not being able to close quickly, there is still that possibility that they can overcome it, which would make it actually more incredible if the defied the odds and actually won the championship.

Wonder if this has ever happened before?

InspectorRacquet
06-30-2012, 11:33 AM

The problem is no one knows if Querrey or Cilic will go on to the finals or pull a Berdych from 2010. The tiebreaker is sketchy if the match goes on for the full five sets - this type of rule we have now is what makes Wimbledon the Wimbledon we all know and love.

The Bawss
06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Who cares? They don't play on Sunday or Monday.

ZeroSkid
06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
They should have a super tie break at like 10 all

Mustard
06-30-2012, 11:42 AM
No way. Fifth set tiebreaks work for the US Open, but I'd hate them in the other 3 majors.

Hood_Man
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I can't think of anything worse than watching a marathon thriller for 4-5 hours, only for it to end in a one sided tiebreak because one guy double faults or misses one easy shot.

At least the 2 games rule allows for deuces and recoveries after lost sloppy shots.

waarp
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM
If one of these idiots would just come in to net they would have won the match and been out having dinner with their GF by now. Baseline tennis sucks.

stringertom
06-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Couldn't disagree more! Extra innings makes for drama in a five-act format with no limits. Maybe ROS skills should be honed a bit to avoid ultramarathon Issahut matches.

darrinbaker00
06-30-2012, 12:36 PM

They each had a chance to win the match in less than five sets. They each failed. That's on them.

mcenroefan
06-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Maybe they should confine the rule for no TB's to the finals?

In any case, I don't think it is as horrible a situation as the USO playing the semis on Saturday before a Sunday final. That is ridiculous.