PDA

View Full Version : Im a little skeptical about this Fish heart stuff, convince me

Gonzalito17
06-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Fish looks as good and strong as ever. All this talk about heart problems could be a tactical ploy. One, it could soften opponents and make them play with sympathy vs. Mardy, do I really want to beat Mardy, the poor guy could have a heart attack. Two, Mardy has created a built in excuse if he has a poor summer and can't defend all his points, thus dropping out of the top 10 or 20. It wasn't that Mardy choked on the pressure, but he's weakened by a bum ticker. This might keep his sponsors supportive despite a ranking drop.

Just so suspicious about all these injuries and ailments in tennis. Even Venus' seems a bit curious. So was Fed's and Roddick's "mono." And Murray's back, etc.

A smart tactic in boxing is playing possum and bluffing the opponent. This tactic is also used in tennis, with the use of faking injuries and ailments, look how Rafa, Djokovic and Murray have utilized this tactic. Fish might be taking us all for a ride with this elaborate ruse about his heart problems. He is looking very strong and playing high quality tennis. Of course, I pray for Mardy and hope he's super fit and healthy and will not suffer any kind of incidents on court during a grueling tough match.

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah cause you know, it's well worth it to have an invasive procedure done on the heart to throw opponents off.

One can always find dumb***** threads in the pro section.

Tcbtennis
06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Fish looks as good and strong as ever. All this talk about heart problems could be a tactical ploy. One, it could soften opponents and make them play with sympathy vs. Mardy, do I really want to beat Mardy, the poor guy could have a heart attack. Two, Mardy has created a built in excuse if he has a poor summer and can't defend all his points, thus dropping out of the top 10 or 20. It wasn't that Mardy choked on the pressure, but he's weakened by a bum ticker. This might keep his sponsors supportive despite a ranking drop.

Just so suspicious about all these injuries and ailments in tennis. Even Venus' seems a bit curious. So was Fed's and Roddick's "mono." And Murray's back, etc.

A smart tactic in boxing is playing possum and bluffing the opponent. This tactic is also used in tennis, with the use of faking injuries and ailments, look how Rafa, Djokovic and Murray have utilized this tactic. Fish might be taking us all for a ride with this elaborate ruse about his heart problems. He is looking very strong and playing high quality tennis. Of course, I pray for Mardy and hope he's super fit and healthy and will not suffer any kind of incidents on court during a grueling tough match.

You are a very cynical person. If you look back at Mardy Fish's record in 2012 it has been pretty crappy for a top 10 player. To buy into your theory, Mardy has been putting up poor results all year then disappearing from the tour for almost 2 months just so he can hope for a good draw at Wimbledon and fake people out. You must also believe that he put himself through a medical procedure (a heart procedure no less) that he didn't need. The doctors and nurses have to be part of the conspiracy. The medical procedure that he underwent is not uncommon. And it was successful so he is considered cured and doesn't have to worry about it reoccurring which is why he can perform at a high level.

I agree with you that sometimes players on court overact if they tweak something because they then run around getting to every ball. Murray, Nadal and Djokovic are the most high profile players who are known for it. Murray's back may or may not fall into category, I don't know. But I think that the off court illnesses are evident in the long term play of the players. When Fed had mono he was losing to players that he had completely dominated and since he has recovered he has dominated them again. Roddick is not the same player he as been in the past but he has also battled injury as well.

Praetorian
06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Dude, I suggest you take your tin foil hat off, and scale back on your meds. Just because its in YOUR mindset to make up excuses, and back stories ahead of time, doesn't mean, that everyon does it. If you EVER played a sport in your life, then you know injuries are a big part of it. And if you've ever played COMPETITIVELY (don't care if it's in a public park), you'll play your best regardless if the opponent is having her period or not. You disrespect the game, and the players if you think they use injury solely as a "possum" tactic.

Gonzalito17
06-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Yur right I am cynical about most tennis injuries. There is an abundance of faking going on in tennis to gain an edge, not that it's disturbing, it adds to the drama. I like Fish a lot but something seems fishy about this. For a young healthy guy to be suffering this kind of ailment is unusual. Perhaps it's the pressure of having to maintain his top ten ranking that is causing these stresses. Anything is possible. Whatever the truth I hope he has a great and healthy year and continues to play high level tennis like he's playing now. Fish is looking great at Wimbledon but Tsonga is going to be a difficult task, it's like a HWT vs. a light heavyweight.

cork_screw
06-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Well, think of it this way. He is doing well because this surface suits his game. If he was on hard court, I doubt he would be in this position to get any further. It's the same with Tommy Haas. Haas looked really impressive, then when you realize that 9/10 times they're not playing on grass, then do you see his real chances of becoming anything more. He had a really good year last year, maybe two years ago or was it last year? But I don't think he has the consistency to maintain that level. He seems like a really good S/V player, but later at cincy, rogers cup and uso, well you'll see the real fish heart.

ollinger
06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Heart rhythm disturbances are not at all rare in this age group. What medical experience does the OP have? Did he successfully complete high school? I've worked 29 years in medical practice, have seen 30 year olds go through cardiac ablation procedures for aberrant pacemakers quite often.

Ronaldo
06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Thought Mardy Fish was treated for Atrial Fibrillation?

TheF1Bob
06-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Novak had a heart problem back in 07 and had a operation.

Faking, no?

Ronaldo
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Novak had a heart problem back in 07 and had a operation.

Faking, no?

He is all heart now

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah cause you know, it's well worth it to have an invasive procedure done on the heart to throw opponents off.

One can always find dumb***** threads in the pro section.

Best response ever.

r2473
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Heart rhythm disturbances are not at all rare in this age group. What medical experience does the OP have? Did he successfully complete high school? I've worked 29 years in medical practice, have seen 30 year olds go through cardiac ablation procedures for aberrant pacemakers quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTQiT58AbE0

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTQiT58AbE0

In the medical field also! Why waste your time explaining. You didn't know faking abnormal heart conditions is the in thing in the ATP! I am sure Mardy will provide the OP with his medical records as soon as Wimby is over.

JustBob
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Im a little skeptical about this Fish heart stuff, convince me

It's quite tasty when prepared properly and has the added bonus of increasing your sperm count.

Ronaldo
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
It's quite tasty when prepared properly and has the added bonus of increasing your sperm count.

Especially fried in Fish Oil.

retlod
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Ha! I always thought you sounded like a doc!

Fish either had atrial fibrillation that was not rate controlled, atrial flutter, or lapsed into supraventricular tachycardia. Any would cause his HR of 180, but none of them, in and of themselves, would have any impact on myocardial contractility or ejection fraction (ie cardiac fitness) once the arrhythmia had converted back into normal sinus rhythm. To put it simply, once the aberrant pathway is ablated with the cath procedure, he should be fine. Like ollinger said, this stuff happens all the time to athleses and non-athleses alike. Of the three arrhythmias above, I've been in two of them...and I'm 33. It's not as though he had an MI or anything.

OP, are you convinced now? :)

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Ha! I always thought you sounded like a doc!

Fish either had atrial fibrillation that was not rate controlled, atrial flutter, or lapsed into supraventricular tachycardia. Any would cause his HR of 180, but none of them, in and of themselves, would have any impact on myocardial contractility or ejection fraction (ie cardiac fitness) once the arrhythmia had converted back into normal sinus rhythm. To put it simply, once the aberrant pathway is ablated with the cath procedure, he should be fine. Like ollinger said, this stuff happens all the time to athleses and non-athleses alike. Of the three arrhythmias above, I've been in two of them...and I'm 33. It's not as though he had an MI or anything.

OP, are you convinced now? :)

You know the OP is on webMD now trying to figure out WTF you just posted!:twisted:

Russeljones
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM

You're either very ignorant or plain trolling. I have a similar conidtion to Fish and I changed my lifestyle to accomodate it. Mardy can't do much on that front with tennis being an obvious strain both physically and psychologically. The truth is you could be sitting in your chair on a quiet day and all of a sudden feel as if an earthquake is in your chest and you've gone deaf and breathless. It's scary and I don't wish it on anyone.

For you to insinuate that Fish or Venus have made up their debilitating illnesses is just moronic.

ruerooo
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM

The coverage is in USA Today.

Google is your friend.

"I'm skeptical, convince me?" How about "I'm arrogant and uninformed?"

:shock:

Wow.

:-?

hedera
07-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Why can't this topic be discussed without being dismissed immediately?
Clijsters is my favourite player but I think she has one goal only this year - Olympics! She made it to the SF in s'Hertogenbosch and then she retired, gave U.Radwanska a walkover. It was raining the whole time with a lot of delays and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if she couldn't be bothered 2-3 days before Wimbledon.
She probably would've skipped Wimbledon too if the Olympics weren't held there.

firefox
07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Fish's downfall seems to be directly correlated to the move back to no show socks. :shock:

Fearsome Forehand
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
The "heart problem" is an obvious ploy to gain sympathy.

Witnesses have seen Fish carefully studying this film. He is just waiting for the right moment, down match point(s), to spring this devious methodology on his unsuspecting opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM