PDA

View Full Version : Rosol played pure first strike tennis

mcenroefan
06-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I was impressed by Rosol's committment to first strike tennis the other day. Pretty much any ball that landed in the area of the service line, he tried for a winner (hit it hard and go close to the line). I think honestly that even the top three are a little too conservative at times in this regard and that some of the lesser ranked players would enjoy a little more success againt the top three if they showed 100% committment to the first strike ideal. It wouldn't work out all the time by any means but it gives the lesser player a real say in the outcome of the match.

Clarky21
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
He played low percentage ballbasher tennis. The problem with that style is it runs hot and cold,and unless the ballbasher is "on" it will not work most of the time. Look at Delpo's record(for example)against Rolaids or Murray. It's abysmal for a reason.

mcenroefan
06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
He played low percentage ballbasher tennis. The problem with that style is it runs hot and cold,and unless the ballbasher is "on" it will not work most of the time. Look at Delpo's record(for example)against Rolaids or Murray. It's abysmal for a reason.

Actually, I think Delpo gets into trouble when he attempts to rally instead of going for his shot. Same with many of these players against the top three.

In the end, someone is going to make a true UE or someone is going to hit a winner. If you get a ball that bounces near the service line, then that is probably as good a chance as possible to end the point in the next 1-3 shots.

The top three are superior movers with superior stamina so playing 10 shot rallies is a losing battle.

By the way, I think Nole is playing way too conservatively lately. He is very gifted on the offensive front but rarely goes for it preferring the longer rallies.

Sentinel
06-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Lol, if you aren't pushing then you are a brainless, ball-basher. Pushing requires great intelligence and strategizing. It's like chess, only tougher and physical. Attacking tennis is for weekend warriors.