PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon now a indoor tourny

Nadalfan89
06-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I'd like to thank the good folks at All England Club for turning the most storied and prestigious tournament in the world into an indoor tournament.

Sampras should come back seeing as he would have a legitimate chance of winning now with the new conditions.

Sentinel
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Weren't you making fun of Federer when he said the same thing yesterday ?
Quite ironic.

Nadalfan89
06-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Uhh no? You must be mistaking me for some other intelligent individual.

bluetrain4
06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I am surprised how much they use it. I thought it was going to be just for long rainy periods - actual rainy periods -- not simply as a precautionary measure when there's a bad forecast. Real weather emergencies. And, I didn't know they'd use it for darkness as well. For some reason, I thought they would still call a match for darkness and not finish it indoors. But I guess that makes sense to do so.

I understand not reopening the roof for the current match if the rain stops, but you'd think they'd reopen it once the rain stopped for subsequent matches, unlike the other day.

Ronaldo
06-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Are the matches more dramatic under the roof?

TeflonTom
06-30-2012, 08:27 PM
problem is takes so long to open / close. u gotta make a decision n stick to it

kind of a pita but better than the alt. remember the bad ole days when u had 3 days rain n every1 was playin round the clock on wet courts 2 catch up?

Clarky21
06-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah,they have really overdone it with the roof this year. It's knocked this slam down a bit on my list of favs for sure. Tennis is meant to be played outdoors,and Wimby is supposed to be outdoors as well. Not sure what the dodo's running it are thinking.

Ronaldo
06-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah,they have really overdone it with the roof this year. It's knocked this slam down a bit on my list of favs for sure. Tennis is meant to be played outdoors,and Wimby is supposed to be outdoors as well. Not sure what the dodo's running it are thinking.

ChaChing???

TeflonTom
06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
brah if tennis is 'meant' to be played outdoors then its 'meant' to be played on grass. indoor courts been round longer than synthetic hardcourts n ****.

r u sayin that we only have 4 weeks of proper tennis a yr?

Clarky21
06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
brah if tennis is 'meant' to be played outdoors then its 'meant' to be played on grass. indoor courts been round longer than synthetic hardcourts n ****.

r u sayin that we only have 4 weeks of proper tennis a yr?

I'm sorry,TeflonTom,but I can barely read your text speak. It's like solving a puzzle. Lol.

Clarky21
06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
ChaChing???

How do they make money by keeping the roof closed even when there is no rain? They have been closing the roof "just in case it rains",and that's ridiculous. If that's the case then they should just make Wimby an indoor tournament since the location of it always has the threat of rain.

Larrysümmers
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
i think its great. all of the grandslam events should have at least 1 roofed court. if you cant adjust to the indoors, then you dont deserve to be champion.

TeflonTom
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry,TeflonTom,but I can barely read your text speak. It's like solving a puzzle. Lol.
ur lack of response is noted brah

War, Safin!
07-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Don't know about anyone else, but I feel the roof is the worst thing to happen to Wimbledon as a major tournament - it doesn't look, sound or resemble anything like Centre-Court when that roof is over.

Rocky89
07-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Don't know about anyone else, but I feel the roof is the worst thing to happen to Wimbledon as a major tournament - it doesn't look, sound or resemble anything like Centre-Court when that roof is over.

I agree. Especially since they're using the roof as a precautionary measure instead of when it's actually needed. Last time I checked Wimbledon was played outdoors.

decrepitude
07-01-2012, 02:37 AM
And yet when the US Open keeps running over into the 3rd week, there are so many cries of "Get a roof!"

Ronaldo
07-01-2012, 02:39 AM
How do they make money by keeping the roof closed even when there is no rain? They have been closing the roof "just in case it rains",and that's ridiculous. If that's the case then they should just make Wimby an indoor tournament since the location of it always has the threat of rain.

More viewers now that these matches on Centre Ct. are finished in one day. Wonder if the roof would be in play if available in 2008?

Bartelby
07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
An 11 pm finish time has also turned it into a day/night tournament despite their protestation that night games are not scheduled.

The Bawss
07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Lol boo friggin hoo. Just because Nadal got owned at Wimby you are cyring about the roof. Only a month ago you ***** were crying about Nadal having to play in heavy conditions and that RG needed a roof.

Get a life.

finalfantasy7
07-01-2012, 04:02 AM
^ totally agree,

If the roof was open Nadal fans would be saying he lost because of the sky is blue/ or his opponent was cheating by hitting the ball back.
It's better for views, since it takes 30mins to close, you have to be prepared for incoming forecast.

What area u from in notts, I live thr also

Rocky89
07-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Lol boo friggin hoo. Just because Nadal got owned at Wimby you are cyring about the roof. Only a month ago you ***** were crying about Nadal having to play in heavy conditions and that RG needed a roof.

Get a life.

I don't have a problem with the roof. I just think it has been overused when it's not raining and is way too slow. C'mon it take 10 minutes just to close it?

Also there should be lights in the stadium like the AO that doesn't require the roof to be closed to finish matches in the evening.

The Bawss
07-01-2012, 04:24 AM
What area u from in notts, I live thr also

Pretty close to Radford.

I don't have a problem with the roof. I just think it has been overused when it's not raining and is way too slow. C'mon it take 10 minutes just to close it?

Also there should be lights in the stadium like the AO that doesn't require the roof to be closed to finish matches in the evening.

Yeah it takes 10 minutes to close it but it's huge. Not much they can do about it. I agree that there should be lights without the roof though.

War, Safin!
07-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't have a problem with it being used in adverse-weather conditions: we don't want a repeat of the 2007 tournament when it rained almost every day and Nadal ended up playing Soderling (over 4 days) and then Youzhny, Berdych, and Djokovic (in 3 days)...before facing a fully rested Federer in the final and even then, pushing him to 5-sets.

But, to close the roof at anytime from 7:45pm because of a) fading light/impneding bad-weather or b) time constraints is the fault of the organisers because there's still no certainty the match will end due to the 11pm curfew!

westside
07-02-2012, 02:32 AM
It's grass court tennis. Couldn't care if it were indoor or outdoor. Sure as hell beats a day of Wimbledon with no play at all.

In other words, get over it.

namelessone
07-02-2012, 02:39 AM
We all need a roof under our heads. :)