PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Wimby!

stringertom
07-01-2012, 06:47 AM
2012 will mark the first time in more than three decades I will not watch one ball struck live at Wimbledon. I live in the US and cannot afford cable or an Internet feed/computer. My two-year-old smartphone does not have the operating system required for the newest mobile websites. I am in the dark solely for one reason...Wimby demands a one-channel, all-live coverage promise from the designated broadcaster. WHY??? The NBA is covered in tandem by ESPN and ABC with great success. Shouldn't Wimby get that umbrella approach so cable-free homes can tune in for, at the least, weekend
coverage of the game's most prestigious championship?

joeri888
07-01-2012, 06:59 AM
2012 will mark the first time in more than three decades I will not watch one ball struck live at Wimbledon. I live in the US and cannot afford cable or an Internet feed/computer. My two-year-old smartphone does not have the operating system required for the newest mobile websites. I am in the dark solely for one reason...Wimby demands a one-channel, all-live coverage promise from the designated broadcaster. WHY??? The NBA is covered in tandem by ESPN and ABC with great success. Shouldn't Wimby get that umbrella approach so cable-free homes can tune in for, at the least, weekend

There are online streams you know8-) i watch tennis like that all year

pvaudio
07-01-2012, 07:01 AM
He just said he has no internet.

mistik
07-01-2012, 07:03 AM
There are online streams you know8-) i watch tennis like that all year

Those online streams freeze the most important moment in the match.Thank god ı dont need to use that much anymore.

Sentinel
07-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Those online streams freeze the most important moment in the match.Thank god ı dont need to use that much anymore.
Is that intentional? You mean there is someone sitting there freezing it, because I've noticed that myself. Luckily this happened during tiebreaks yesterday, and at that very moment my telly shifted over to the match.

Anyway, I did not want to hijack this thread.

Tom, can you not get some internet for the 2 weeks of each slam. Or Wimbly. Don't you have some friend or relative you can crash in at to watch the matches.

This just cannot be allowed to happen. If I were there in the US would have sent you a ticket to come over to my home.

Second, you've mentioned this earlier too, and I didn't know you were serious about the financial thing. You really should look for other more paying jobs, should you not ? If you are living on a shoe-string (sorry for the pun), can't you find some other tennis-related job that pays better. Coaching ?

I think Drakulie is also a stringer. Maybe he'll have some suggestions. I seriously hope you find some solution.

GS
07-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Yeah, thanks, NBC. Guess you were outbid by ESPN.
So why isn't ESPN's brother, ABC, showing any Wimbledon weekend coverage? Too boring, or are they already booked with sports this summer?
I'm another guy who won't pay $70 a month for cable. I'd like to buy a dish, but there's too many trees here.
I'll just buy the mens final on dvd later on....

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2012, 07:31 AM
You don't have a personal computer, Tom? Did you write all 3000 plus poasts on your smartphone? :shock:

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Yeah, thanks, NBC. Guess you were outbid by ESPN.
So why isn't ESPN's brother, ABC, showing any Wimbledon weekend coverage? Too boring, or are they already booked with sports this summer?
I'm another guy who won't pay $70 a month for cable. I'd like to buy a dish, but there's too many trees here.
I'll just buy the mens final on dvd later on....

If you have a computer, you don't have to worry about a thing. You can select from like 8 different streams ranging from very decent quality streams with commentary in various different languages.

I barely even turn my TV on anymore. Most of the time ESPN3.com is where its at for me.

kragster
07-01-2012, 07:38 AM
You don't have a personal computer, Tom? Did you write all 3000 plus poasts on your smartphone? :shock:

Hmm perhaps he has access to a public computer with internet such as at a library but obviously with the limitation on hogging it for hours to watch streaming video.

joeri888
07-01-2012, 07:39 AM
He just said he has no internet.

Yeah Go to ŕ café or something

Feather
07-01-2012, 07:42 AM

It's way too different to post from a computer and watch streaming on net. To watch streams you need fast connections that support it. There are cafe's where you can access net but can't watch streaming matches. I post when in office in this forum, but no way I can watch match live.

You don't need a personal computer to post but you need that to watch streams

bhallic24
07-01-2012, 07:44 AM

lolz so fking true. Those things are great when its 40-0 but once it gets to break point, it'll freeze for about a minute and a half.

stringertom
07-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Yeah, love my iPhone3 for its TT-connectivity. Wouldn't have "met" all you gr8 tennis fans w/o it!

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2012, 07:49 AM
It's way too different to post from a computer and watch streaming on net. To watch streams you need fast connections that support it. There are cafe's where you can access net but can't watch streaming matches. I post when in office in this forum, but no way I can watch match live.

You don't need a personal computer to post but you need that to watch streams

Yes, I agree. I sometimes post with my Iphone on this forum. Streaming? Oh God no! Stupid Apple and their lack of flash.

Although, I do get around that limitation sometime. During the US Open, I was in class and I used a flash browser that I downloaded from the app store. Using the WiFi in the classroom, I was able to watch Roddick vs Ferrer at the USO.

Sadly, the battery was drained in 50 minutes and I had spend the last 10 minutes wearing the monotonous lecture. :)

jokinla
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I think ABC has week one highlights on today, so perhaps they will carry the finals as well.

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Yeah, love my iPhone3 for its TT-connectivity. Wouldn't have "met" all you gr8 tennis fans w/o it!

Tom, there is a free app called "Justin TV". There are a lot users who broadcast all types of tv programs including sports. I remember I caught some live tennis streams on that app an year ago. Check it out if you have the time.

Edit: Nvm, Tom. Seems like those dirtbags have gone greedy. Charging a whole 5 dollars for the app now. :rolleyes:

stringertom
07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the responses!

First, Senti: I appreciate your concern but I'm temporarily (I hope only temporarily) grounded from any tennis-related income, having sold my Babolat Star 3 last November to purchase the biketaxi I ride nightly for my income. The proceeds, although too spotty for investment in luxuries like cable/dish, is much more steady than racquettech income had turned out to be for me in Orlando. It's frustrating bcoz I have mad stringing skills (53 and counting major titles owned by former clients of mine). But I love my current gig on the bike...it's a "Benjamin Button" job in that I'm in better shape at 59 than I was in my 20's! I just don't want my adolescent acne to return (look closely at my avatar...that's me at age 19).

As to the other suggestions about access, cafes, etc.: you miss the point I tried to make with the thread title...it's all on Wimby! When replacing NBC (good idea!), they blindly ignored cable/dish-free households in the US by demanding a one-channel-only coverage contract. Their rationale? So people wouldn't be confused as to where to tune in. I'm not confused, for sure! I'm blacked out! I can pull up a schedule on the phone and tune to FREE ABC coverage of the NBA Finals with ZERO difficulty. Why couldn't they see the result of the ESPN-only clause in the agreement? IDIOTIC, no?

Devilito
07-01-2012, 08:23 AM
get rid of your stupid Smartphone and overpriced data / monthly fees. Get a cheap pre-paid cell phone then get a real home internet service. Or take your laptop to Starbucks, McDonalds or any other 1000 places that offer free wifi. Or go to a local tennis club that will have Wimbledon showing on their TV all day. Lots of options here

forthegame
07-01-2012, 08:54 AM
^^
Last time I checked, US tennis clubs were extremely expensive!

It's insane the amount of money you guys have to pay for club membership compared to the UK.

stringertom
07-01-2012, 08:56 AM
get rid of your stupid Smartphone and overpriced data / monthly fees. Get a cheap pre-paid cell phone then get a real home internet service. Or take your laptop to Starbucks, McDonalds or any other 1000 places that offer free wifi. Or go to a local tennis club that will have Wimbledon showing on their TV all day. Lots of options here

The phone and its data package is used all night, every night on my job and easily earns me the difference between your suggestion and my cost in a week, not a month. As to going somewhere to watch, ah...just more expense and inconvenience! It was in my room for FREE last year. Thanks to Wimby's blind stubborness it isn't this year. How arrogant of them!!!

Frying Pan Forehand
07-01-2012, 08:58 AM
^^

It's insane the amount of money you guys have to pay for club membership compared to the UK.

you have to pay to go to the club and have a drink and watch the game?
O.o

stringertom
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
^^

Tell me about it...the club I used to string for had an initiation fee of $12,000 and required three existing members to nominate you. The director of tennis was paying me half the rate per racquet that I was earning on tour. In five years of work there, I was given one 12% raise because "the membership just wouldn't put up with anything further." The average member's monthly dues and food/drink minimum was more than my monthly net. Maybachs and Maseratis dominated the parking lot but they can't afford a pro stringer his due???

hedera
07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Tom, isn't there some sports cafe where you can watch at least the final? There must be a public place that broadcasts sports, surely?

stringertom
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Tom, isn't there some sports cafe where you can watch at least the final? There must be a public place that broadcasts sports, surely?

Thought of that, too...problem is the final, which I will definitely NOT miss should a certain 30-year-old make it, starts before most sportsbars open here (11AM) in Orlando. I had that experience for the FO'11 finals. I was working a very busy convention that weekend and missed the first 2-1/2 sets because no place was open to sit, take a break, eat and watch the match. If it were UEFA or other Euro football games, the places that cater to our tourists in the area where I work open up early to attract the biz. Not so much with tennis!

My plight is singular and it's not really the point. It's just really stupid they can't put both weekends live on ABC for all to see FREE and in the comfort of their own home? They would be preempting shows with very low ratings as compared to what gets bounced in primetime by the NBA Finals.

CCNM
07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I feel for you man!!! I don't have cable either (and neither do my parents). I get all my news/clips from the internet.

Larrysümmers
07-01-2012, 03:40 PM
if you cant afford tv or internet. then maybe you shouldnt be watching it. you def cannot blame this on the tournament

Moose Malloy
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
It's just really stupid they can't put both weekends live on ABC for all to see FREE

both finals will be on ABC(on tape delay after they air live on espn)

if you cant afford tv or internet. then maybe you shouldnt be watching it.

can you imagine a time when the Super Bowl or NBA finals will only air on cable? This is sort of the equivalent, Wimbledon should be on broadcast tv on weekends, NBC/ABC reach far wider audiences than espn.

Wimbledon airs on BBC, which I understand is not a pay cable channel(like eurosport)
I'm sure reaching the widest audience is part of the reason.

stringertom
07-01-2012, 04:33 PM
both finals will be on ABC(on tape delay after they air live on espn)

can you imagine a time when the Super Bowl or NBA finals will only air on cable? This is sort of the equivalent, Wimbledon should be on broadcast tv on weekends, NBC/ABC reach far wider audiences than espn.

Wimbledon airs on BBC, which I understand is not a pay cable channel(like eurosport)
I'm sure reaching the widest audience is part of the reason.

Thanks for the tip on the tape delay...we're reverting to the NBA late 70s/early 80's when IIRC CBS carried the Finals on tape delay at 11:30PM. Wasn't it Magic Johnson's monster game as a replacement center for an injured Kareem that changed all that???

Knowing that, I might sleep in and watch it unfiltered.

CDestroyer
07-01-2012, 04:45 PM

59 years old with no computer, internet or cable? My god man it seems you have selected the wrong career path.

stringertom
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
59 years old with no computer, internet or cable? My god man it seems you have selected the wrong career path.

Ironic, your signature speaks of my current career-path! I biketaxi to pay the bills...dogfood over cable/Internet is a priority I choose. As to going back to my real skills to earn the do-re-mi for the "extras", LMK if there's a club/shop that could use a bona fide prostringer wizard...I've got a few former world #1's that can vouch for my skills. Orlando lost its only pro training facility a decade ago and for five years family issues made traveling to tourneys impossible. Other than that, my career path was going just fine.

superdave3
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I can understand that not everone has cable or internet (after all folks, these are hard times for some folks, so lets cut them some slack). I am glad, however, that NBC no longer has the coverage, as their stupid delayed coverage sucked. Last year matches that started live and were shown live in the Eastern time zone only, were delayed in all other times zones (3 hours in the Western time zone, meaning most of the matches were over by the time they came on in places like California). Based on that, I don't think NBC should have been given any rights to TV coverage.

Tammo
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I would suggest ATM to go to a sports bar with few people. (Maybe even go to a TV store and ask for ESPN :) ) Try saving up for a laptop and go to a Panera Bread, Wendy's, McD or wherever and watch it on Fromsport or LSC. Good luck!

Love Game
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

tee hee ... a good gotcha moment from the vicious mind of Sid! ;)

stringertom
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I would suggest ATM to go to a sports bar with few people. (Maybe even go to a TV store and ask for ESPN :) ) Try saving up for a laptop and go to a Panera Bread, Wendy's, McD or wherever and watch it on Fromsport or LSC. Good luck!

Thanks, TPL partner, but looking for quick fix for this Sunday's BREAKFAST @Wimby. Sportsbars open @11, same for many stores. Even doing an overnight motel is awkward as check-out time will come midmatch if it's not a blowout so that's TWO days @$50+...not that important to me to warrant that. I did the room thing during AO final weekend but that was to cut down on commute for a very busy convention I worked on those days. Not one scheduled this weekend.

I'll probably go the tape delay route on ABC that Moose posted above. Fits my schedule better...I'm usually asleep til almost noon on Sundays after working til 3am the night before. If it's Fed in the final, I'll go plan B and coerce a friend for cableTV favor.