PDA

View Full Version : How do Pros do it.....Have you ever tryed ripping the ball yet they get easy power?

MurrayMyInspiration
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Is it muscle which has been specially trained over years of repitition to hitting a tennis ball with maximum force? Technique and the full transfer of energy and use of kinectic force is understandable. Look at this. Murray hitting huge off of tossed balls? I can understand pros hitting hard using the power of one another and timing and technique but I cant understand how they hit so hard and spinny off balls simply dropped like in this video. How? http://http://youtu.be/ZR5VBz8amtgThanks for your replies in advance guys. Any advice on how to achieve such power off dropped balls would be greatly appreciated!!

MurrayMyInspiration
07-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Cmonn guys answer my question??

Andres
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
They're swinging way faster that you think they are. High racquethead speed plus good timing and solid contact = high velocities.

ben123
07-01-2012, 02:22 PM
the answer is learn to play tennis. you wont hit like a pro when you are a beginner its as simple as that

tudwell
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Murray gets way more upper-body rotation than pretty much any recreational player and has much better timing in the kinetic chain, transferring power from his legs, through his torso, and into his arm. It's all about that explosive power, something he's trained for years to have. Weekend warriors just can't come close to matching it (at least in the controlled manner in which pros use it).

MurrayMyInspiration
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
the answer is learn to play tennis. you wont hit like a pro when you are a beginner its as simple as that

Im far from a beginner. I know quite a bit about tennis, its just how are they achieving that racquet head speed. is it their physical strength or is it the fact that after hitting 500,000 of those forehands with good technique your muscles become accustom to the specific task that swinging a racquet requires of them??

Larrysümmers
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
its the fact that they've had elite training since they were 7.

MurrayMyInspiration
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Murray gets way more upper-body rotation than pretty much any recreational player and has much better timing in the kinetic chain, transferring power from his legs, through his torso, and into his arm. It's all about that explosive power, something he's trained for years to have. Weekend warriors just can't come close to matching it (at least in the controlled manner in which pros use it).

And to generate that power do you hit the gym?? or do you hit 500000 of those forehands with good technique, rotation and weight transfer and you gradually achieve effortless power compared to weekend warriors who huff and puff and never get anywhere??

Mighty Matteo
07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
And to generate that power do you hit the gym?? or do you hit 500000 of those forehands with good technique, rotation and weight transfer and you gradually achieve effortless power compared to weekend warriors who huff and puff and never get anywhere??

Both have to be done, though much of the power is due to great technique and racket head speed.

ben123
07-01-2012, 02:49 PM

even strong tall men who just begin to play tennis look like clowns on a tennis court. on the other hand there are little skinny teenagers who can hit the **** out of the ball. it has absolutely nothing to do with muscles. you dont speak like someone who plays good tennis thats all. when there are slow balls without pace and spin you have to go more through the ball.

its senseless to go to the gym for tennis when you cant play tennis yet. first learn to play tennis then you can think about the gym

kishnabe
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
If we knew how Pros do it....then we wouldn't be on these boards. We would be go play futures and challengers to earn extra cash :)

I think it mostly timing and technique. There are professionals who are think as chopsticks....and they can hit the ball clean and hard. Sure weight training will help develop power if you also do plyometrics that convert muscle strength to power.

The most beefed up guys....don't hit the ball hard....because the tightness of the muscles get in the way of the stroke. It stops fluditity. Be limber and elastic whip to generate power.

Weekend warriors like myself can only position ourselves for the ball....and hope that 1 of those balls we hit can be professional like.

tudwell
07-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Well, both play a part, but it has much more to do with the time spent on court and amount of practice. Most pros have been playing since they were 5 or 6 or even younger. They've taken lessons and had personal coaches and trainers for years. The amount of time they've spent practicing the same motions over and over is exponentially more than the average recreational player, and on top of that they have people helping them and correcting them and improving them every step of the way.

MurrayMyInspiration
07-01-2012, 03:31 PM
even strong tall men who just begin to play tennis look like clowns on a tennis court. on the other hand there are little skinny teenagers who can hit the **** out of the ball. it has absolutely nothing to do with muscles. you dont speak like someone who plays good tennis thats all. when there are slow balls without pace and spin you have to go more through the ball.

its senseless to go to the gym for tennis when you cant play tennis yet. first learn to play tennis then you can think about the gym

Well, I play a high standard of tennis, its just I tried the drill murray was doing the other day and I was astounded at the power he could generate from a dropped ball.

InspectorRacquet
07-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I think it's also important to note that Murray is using a heavier racquet than most of us would even be willing to touch. The heavier racquet made to his specs and liking makes it easy for him to get more power. The racquet in combination with the major racquet head speed (as said by others already) makes for a heavy and very fast ball only achievable by the great talents.

fps
07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
There is LOTS of info on this in the tennis tips/ instruction bit of the forum if you were looking for advice.

Smasher08
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I think it's also important to note that Murray is using a heavier racquet than most of us would even be willing to touch. The heavier racquet made to his specs and liking makes it easy for him to get more power. The racquet in combination with the major racquet head speed (as said by others already) makes for a heavy and very fast ball only achievable by the great talents.

What he said.

Force = mass x acceleration, so increasing the mass of his racket combined with strength training to increase the acceleration of that racket before impact (plus more than a decade of practice to perfect his mechanics) results in the effortless force we witness him impart.

Defcon
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
If you're a 4.0 or above, you've almost certainly hit a ball like that, and then wondered at how good it felt and how little effort it took. The difference is the pros can do it on 90% of balls, and the truly great players can do it under the most pressure.

jackson vile
07-01-2012, 08:30 PM
It is all technique, you can do it to. Most people don't stay relaxed enough, don't setup and prepare soon enough, don't have the right racket weighting, don't have the right technique, period.

bluetrain4
07-01-2012, 09:46 PM
They're swinging way faster that you think they are. High racquethead speed plus good timing and solid contact = high velocities.

Also, many, many pros (though not all) are using racquets considerably heavier than most rec players, with much higher swingweights. If you have excellent, developed strokes and can get that weight moving with control, power can come easier than trying to rip the ball with a lighter frame. Eye opening what that extra mass can do.