PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Backhand Ever

DolgoSantoro
07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg

Fed Kennedy
07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Federer PROBABALEE no?

Wikky
07-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Tommy Haas, bias included.

Ballinbob
07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Andy Murray. Excellent passing shots, drive, slice, and return

WhiskeyEE
07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
When he was on, Marat Safin had the best backhand of all time IMO. He could hit winners from anywhere like Del Po did with his forehand during USO 2009.

TeflonTom
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
edberg for sure. u dont become alltime great with chicken-wing fh unless u have amazing bh.

not the kind of bh u want 4 modern tennis tho

The Bawss
07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Guga? Djokovic? Safin? Dunno it's tough but it's certainly not Murray.

mellowyellow
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Nadal of course, his bh volleys are all the proof needed

tudwell
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Ken Rosewall

soyizgood
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
OP might need to pick names and put up a poll. I'll be real curious to see what names get picked.

pc1
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg

There are lot of players famous for their excellent backhands. I'll throw out a bunch of them, Rosewall, Laver, Kovacs, Tilden, Budge, Ashe, Edberg, Connors, Borg, Vilas, Wilander, Agassi, Nalbanian, Djokovic, Ashe.

Over the years Rosewall, Laver and Budge were regarded as top backhand names. Of the top backhands, Laver and Ashe has the most variety of shots of any of the players.

Since 1990 Edberg is up there with anyone.

10is
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Can't believe how underrated Federer's backhand is on this forum -- and all because of his matchup issues on that side against Nadal... on clay.

Can anyone cite me one instance of a match from Federer's prime (2004-2006) where he got dominated in backhand to backhand exchanges against anyone NOT named Nadal? His verstaility on that side is nigh unmatched.

fed_rulz
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Can't believe how underrated Federer's backhand is on this forum -- and all because of his matchup issues on that side against Nadal... on clay.

Can anyone cite me one instance of a match from Federer's prime (2004-2006) where he got dominated in backhand to backhand exchanges against anyone NOT named Nadal? His verstaility on that side is nigh unmatched.

you'll not get a response ... because there isn't one that the "underraters" can provide.

dr. godmode
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Djokovic for sure. It's tough to classify old guys who played with woodies because their backhands would get raped in todays game

TeflonTom
07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
fed has a nice bh but never his main weapon. could produce nice shots on it but fh much more consistent. couldnt win tourneys on bh alone

contrast with edberg - guy was totally dependent on bh when not at net. fh was useless. yet still got to fo final, won multiple clay titles incl hamburg, plus all his gs titles n other achievements.

topspin, slice, flat, approach, cc, dtl, i/o - the dude could do everythin with it. why? cos he had to do everythin with it. connors, lendl, sampras, becker, agassi, courier, mac, wilander n anyone else decent on tour all eat his fh for breakfast. is rare someone with fh as crap as edberg even win a gs title, let alone 6 n become one of alltiime greats. why? big part coz of amazing bh.

/thread

norbac
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Probably me.

jean pierre
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Vilas. The most beautiful backhand.

JAY1
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Vilas. The most beautiful backhand.
Vilas- Best One handed backhand ever-topspin, slice & volley all outstanding.
Connors- Best Two handed backhand ever-off the ground he could do anything with his backhand and he was so solid on his backhand volley.

forzamilan90
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
in the past consensus was Budge and Rosewall, but that's different racquets, no clue how to judge that against today's power hitters like Djokovic or Safin not too long ago for example

TeflonTom
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
By standards in op, bhs like djok r rubbish cause they hit crappy approaches. modern bhs v. v. good at a few things but not real good at some stuff.

if u are lookin at 'overall' in terms of doin everything, u really gotta pick someone with a 1hbh. 2hbhs can be great but they aint real versatile

pc1
07-02-2012, 03:57 AM
By standards in op, bhs like djok r rubbish cause they hit crappy approaches. modern bhs v. v. good at a few things but not real good at some stuff.

if u are lookin at 'overall' in terms of doin everything, u really gotta pick someone with a 1hbh. 2hbhs can be great but they aint real versatile

Lots of versatile two handers I believe. I think Connors, Borg, Murray, Wilander, Mecir are just a few. I like Djokovic's also.

Chris Evert among the women had a really versatile backhand.

TeflonTom
07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
sure, but compared to a good 1h, u can't get nearly the same amt of topspin, slice, angle, etc.

1hbh by definition more versatile, coz u got greater variety of/more extreme swing paths etc.

kiki
07-02-2012, 04:23 AM
[QUOTE=DolgoSantoro;6682200]Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg[/QU
Laver has the most complete and versatile.able to Great topspun or slicedapproach,terrific returns&passings,the best placed slice and could make winners from the crazyiest position,including rallies

jean pierre
07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
http://www.bobpix.com/photography/tennis-source-archive/©-bob-straus-all-rights-reserved-12

kiki
07-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Lets put it that way: nobody has won more straight points out of his backhand than Rocket

analysis_king
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Lets put it that way: nobody has won more straight points out of his backhand than Rocket
bless his soul, but Rocket used to play a butler or a teacher in his 4th round Wimbledon match.

Praetorian
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Nadal of course, his bh volleys are all the proof needed

AHAHAHAHHA... oh wait you're serious...

Praetorian
07-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Have to go with Edberg. It was a shot he could do literally anything with.

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Budge, Connors, Edberg, Murray, Agassi

Wuppy
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Stan Rottheimer, an amateur German player in the early 1900s. Hear he had the sweetest backhand ever.

ductrung3993
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Donald Young.

ZeroSkid
07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Nalbandian, Djokovic, and Andy Murray

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
bless his soul, but Rocket used to play a butler or a teacher in his 4th round Wimbledon match.

...and a Newcombe,Emerson ,Ashe or Roche in the final(s) days¡¡¡¡

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Have to go with Edberg. It was a shot he could do literally anything with.

Possibly, the third best BH approach after Laver´s and Rosewall´s.Difference: Laver and Rosewall dominated from the backcourt a little more...

pc1
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Possibly, the third best BH approach after Laver´s and Rosewall´s.Difference: Laver and Rosewall dominated from the backcourt a little more...

Connors had a great backhand approach too which set him up for a lot of easily volleys but yes, Edberg did have a fabulous backhand approach shot.

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Connors had a great backhand approach too which set him up for a lot of easily volleys but yes, Edberg did have a fabulous backhand approach shot.

Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.Laver was more uncompromising, but he was so fast that you never knew if he first approached or volleyed....

pc1
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.

Yes he did and it was generally extremely deep approaches too.

bullslayer
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
john isner

Geology_Rocks!
07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I know it ain't Murray.

norbac
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Lukas Rosol.....or is it Lukaszsz Kubot?

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Hmm... Ever blah... By Era is a better choice
For me it is Borg, Connors, Agassi, Fed, Gasquet (thing of beauty), Haas, Almagro (growing on me) and for the ladies Justine Henin (beautiful to watch)

Notable mention is the Joker! He is growing on me since his maturation. Djokovic lookin like Agassi 2.0 on return game.

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I know it ain't Murray.

^5 on that comment. Comments like all-time and ever and you see Murray :confused:

TMF
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.Laver was more uncompromising, but he was so fast that you never knew if he first approached or volleyed....

Did you and Limpin ever found any source that say Rosewall hitting 80+ mph slice backhands?

kiki
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Did you and Limpin ever found any source that say Rosewall hitting 80+ mph slice backhands?

Yes.The best source.Eyes.

kiki
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Hingis has one of the greatest backhands, too.

Larrysümmers
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
^that thing is a thing of mastery and beauty, i tell ya what

pc1
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM

To be honest how many times could you find groundies measured for speed in those days. The answer is almost never. There was a tournament in which forehand speeds were measure and Gonzalez had the highest speed with the old wood racquets at 112.88 miles per hour with Kramer at 107 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forehand

The sad thing about all of this is that this 80 miles per hour backhand was mentioned by one poster (forgot who) and it's been repeated constantly often to mock the Rosewall backhand. That's a shame since it was one of the great shots in tennis history. Eighty miles an hour to be frank is really not that fast. I believe that Rosewall has at times hit service returns faster than 80 mph. Remember the man hit a very flat backhand with slight underspin. If you asked me if I have seen Rosewall hit a backhand faster than 80 mph I would say yes. Do I think he did it on a very regular basis? Probably not.

The thing is that Rosewall's backhand was incredibly consistent. It was a heavy shot that was hit very low over the net which cut down on the time for the opponent to return it. He could lob, chip, hit great passing shots.

Here's a video from Krosero of Rosewall against Roche. Now I know it's a highlight video but you can see the exquisite form of Rosewall's backhand and what he could do with it. Why should a guy have to hit a backhand 80 mph if you can have a backhand like that? It's a great shot even if he doesn't hit it 80 mph. So before anyone writes he didn't hit it 80 mph just ask yourself wouldn't you like to have a backhand like Rosewall's? I wish I had a backhand like that but there is only one Rosewall backhand. That's why many think Rosewall's backhand was the greatest in the history of tennis.

Notice how versatile his backhand is and how accurate it is. Incidentally check out how great Rosewall's (and Roche's) volley is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJubuKDN7Fk

ZeroSkid
07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
People are serious idiots, Murray does have one of the best backhands ever, people are not saying he is one of the best players ever just his backhand

Nadalfan89
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Richard Gasquet has the best backhand of all time

fed_rulz
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
To be honest how many times could you find groundies measured for speed in those days. The answer is almost never. There was a tournament in which forehand speeds were measure and Gonzalez had the highest speed with the old wood racquets at 112.88 miles per hour with Kramer at 107 mph.

The sad thing about all of this is that this 80 miles per hour backhand was mentioned by one poster (forgot who) and it's been repeated constantly often to mock the Rosewall backhand. That's a shame since it was one of the great shots in tennis history. Eighty miles an hour to be frank is really not that fast. I believe that Rosewall has at times hit service returns faster than 80 mph. Remember the man hit a very flat backhand with slight underspin. If you asked me if I have seen Rosewall hit a backhand faster than 80 mph I would say yes. Do I think he did it on a very regular basis? Probably not.

The thing is that Rosewall's backhand was incredibly consistent. It was a heavy shot that was hit very low over the net which cut down on the time for the opponent to return it. He could lob, chip, hit great passing shots.

Here's a video from Krosero of Rosewall against Roche. Now I know it's a highlight video but you can see the exquisite form of Rosewall's backhand and what he could do with it. Why should a guy have to hit a backhand 80 mph if you can have a backhand like that? It's a great shot even if he doesn't hit it 80 mph. So before anyone writes he didn't hit it 80 mph just ask yourself wouldn't you like to have a backhand like Rosewall's? I wish I had a backhand like that but there is only one Rosewall backhand. That's why many think Rosewall's backhand was the greatest in the history of tennis.

Notice how versatile his backhand is and how accurate it is. Incidentally check out how great Rosewall's (and Roche's) volley is.

1. limpin and Datacipher insisted that Rosewall hit 80mph slice BHs, of late backed by the country clown kiki

2. no one is contesting that Rosewall had an all-time great BH; only the absurdity of being able to hit slice BHs with that velocity.

pc1
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
1. limpin and Datacipher insisted that Rosewall hit 80mph slice BHs, of late backed by the country clown kiki

2. no one is contesting that Rosewall had an all-time great BH; only the absurdity of being able to hit slice BHs with that velocity.

I understand.

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

It certainly was a much better Bh than delusional Fedrulz´s worshipped hero...

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

That is a very honest and clarifying post, PC1

90's Clay
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Nalbandian, Agassi or Kafelnikov

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes he did and it was generally extremely deep approaches too.

The great thing about Rosewall´s sliced BH approach was, it floated and floated and seemed to give his opponent enough time to settle up for the passing shot.But the truth is that it landed very low, very angled, very deep and far from a serious try from his opponent.Also, Rosewall´s volleys seems to me a bit underrated.technically, they were possibly even better than Laver and at the same level as Roche.

joeri888
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Yes.The best source.Eyes.

Your eyes have a speed gun? Cool.

BauerAlmeida
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
1-Safin
2-Nalbandian
3-Agassi
4-Djokovic

BorisBeckerFan
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Guga and Marat are my personal backhand faves.

ibbi
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

I don't know about backhand to backhand exchanges, but his forehand is pretty inconsistent, and liable to break down when put under pressure. I think Agassi at the US Open in 2005 is the first example that comes immediately to mind of a guy who was basically able to compete in that match for as long as he did by utilizing this tactic of targeting the Federer backhand.

It might not be BAD, he can certainly do just about everything with it, but I don't think it is underrating it by not including it amongst the very best of all time.

Service Ace
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Andy Roddick

Sanavan
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
1- Guga Kuerten
2- Marat Safin

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
1-Safin
2-Nalbandian
3-Agassi
4-Djokovic

all of whom are great examples of consistent, clean, hard hitting backhands. of that list i'd pick agassi. his is the most reliable at being a winner machine. certainly the best backhand of his generation. edberg had a great backhand as well with more versatility than agassi. although i still give the edge to agassi.

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I don't know about backhand to backhand exchanges, but his forehand is pretty inconsistent, and liable to break down when put under pressure. I think Agassi at the US Open in 2005 is the first example that comes immediately to mind of a guy who was basically able to compete in that match for as long as he did by utilizing this tactic of targeting the Federer backhand.

It might not be BAD, he can certainly do just about everything with it, but I don't think it is underrating it by not including it amongst the very best of all time.

i agree. its a great backhand and is indeed very versatile compared to almost everyone in the tour. but it isn't in contention as one of the greatest. there are parts of the season where his bh just clicks, at times even sublime. but there are stretches of time when it looks very average, prone to cringe worthy unforced errors.

although it did not break down today against djokovic from the back court.

fps
07-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Federer makes errors on the backhand side because his strategy is to stand on the baseline on that side and never retreat, it's very brave taking a one-hander on the rise on the baseline, and it would be lunacy for any other player without his skill. Gasquet Youzhny Almagro etc do not do this, they concede court position to hit their backhands in the best hitting position. His backhand is immense, it's the position that suits his game as a whole best that he hits it from that causes him problems sometimes. Still, it takes time away from his opponent and keeps him in a better position to hit every backhand from this close to the baseline. He could back off a coupla feet and hit far prettier looking backhands but it wouldn't win him as many matches.

Best backhand ever is tough. I think by the end of his career Murray will be in the conversation, because when he unleashes on that side, woah there are few better. This year he has been hitting through that shot a lot more, probably in large part due to Lendl, and I think this will prove devastating in the US hard court season. His slice backhand is the only one as good as, if not better than, Federer's. He has tremendous variety on that side, which elevates him too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Safin and Nalbandian's backhands, but the slice, of the former especially, was not a big part of their games.

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Federer makes errors on the backhand side because his strategy is to stand on the baseline on that side and never retreat, it's very brave taking a one-hander on the rise on the baseline, and it would be lunacy for any other player without his skill. Gasquet Youzhny Almagro etc do not do this, they concede court position to hit their backhands in the best hitting position. His backhand is immense, it's the position that suits his game as a whole best that he hits it from that causes him problems sometimes. Still, it takes time away from his opponent and keeps him in a better position to hit every backhand from this close to the baseline. He could back off a coupla feet and hit far prettier looking backhands but it wouldn't win him as many matches.

Best backhand ever is tough. I think by the end of his career Murray will be in the conversation, because when he unleashes on that side, woah there are few better. This year he has been hitting through that shot a lot more, probably in large part due to Lendl, and I think this will prove devastating in the US hard court season. His slice backhand is the only one as good as, if not better than, Federer's. He has tremendous variety on that side, which elevates him too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Safin and Nalbandian's backhands, but the slice, of the former especially, was not a big part of their games.

good point. as far as effectiveness of one handers currently on tour i'd say overall he'd be on top, right now especially. he's become more aggressive with it during rallies and returns. it really does complement his style of play. i cant think of a one handed backhand that's as complete on tour.

to throw a wrench into things. if federer's forehand is replaced with his backhand, in a sense that he hits off both wings with the same ability and versatility etc as his backhand, and is placed in a rally against a healthy wawrinka with the same circumstance of having two backhands, one could argue wawrinka would win. or at least be a lot more likely to win the rally than usual. court position can only do so much when you haven't something to capitalize on it with (to the same extent that federer's forehand can)

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 02:58 AM
At the US Open 2010, Nadal had a very powerful backhand. Nadal's backhands can be extremely consistent too.

fps
07-07-2012, 03:43 AM
to throw a wrench into things. if federer's forehand is replaced with his backhand, in a sense that he hits off both wings with the same ability and versatility etc as his backhand, and is placed in a rally against a healthy wawrinka with the same circumstance of having two backhands, one could argue wawrinka would win. or at least be a lot more likely to win the rally than usual. court position can only do so much when you haven't something to capitalize on it with (to the same extent that federer's forehand can)

Interesting, hadn't thought of it like that, you're right the backhand complements Fed's game well but as a weapon Waw's would probably win out!

tank_job
07-07-2012, 03:44 AM
At the US Open 2010, Nadal had a very powerful backhand. Nadal's backhands can be extremely consistent too.

I wonder if you ever make a post not about Nadal.

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I wonder if you ever make a post not about Nadal.

Why wonder when you can see for yourself? :???: Not all my posts are about Nadal. :neutral:

Sanavan
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

You gotta be kidding!

The whole year of 2011 Djokovic won match after match hitting balls on Nadal's backhand.
You can't pick one random championship and say that Nadal's backhand is consistent...

I am a big Nadal fan, but his backhand is far from being a good example.

paulorenzo
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
treated to some great backhand to backhand rallies today with federer and murray, and federer actually came out on top of those rallies. today was one of the days when one can argue that its one of the best backhands on tour.

Wilander Fan
07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Federer's slice BH won the match against Murray. Murray could do nothing with it except hit a rally ball back cross court and it forced a few errors at well. It also completely neutralized Murray's own BH so he was unable to use his best stroke to set up winners. On clay and especially the slow gritty HC, that slice sits up and becomes a target. On slick HC and grass, it skids and spins away.

MarksAlot
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Djokovic ... after he added a pound of lead tape on his racquet.

BeHappy
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Safin and Edberg.

bboy_beez
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
that's easy, i'd say Bill Clinton....

but really, id have to give it to federer. his slice and topspin bh are not very predicatble. plus those drop shots are killer

sonicare
07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
murray doesn't go dtl enough to be considered an all time great shot

Limpinhitter
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
2hb - Andre Agassi
1hb - Rod Laver

Federer20042006
07-20-2012, 01:42 AM

Agassi made as many backhand errors as Federer in that match. It was a sloppy performance by both guys, until Federer hit God mode in the 4th set.

Federer struggled with it for a while against Hewitt in the SF of that USO, too. Then it caught fire in the tiebreak.

Anyway, the last time Federer really lost the backhand battle was Ungur at the French. Strange thing in that one. Even the Djokovic match at the FO, I thought it was pretty even in BH vs. BH. Federer's forehand lost him that match.

DTL
07-20-2012, 01:53 AM
fed has a nice bh but never his main weapon. could produce nice shots on it but fh much more consistent. couldnt win tourneys on bh alone

contrast with edberg - guy was totally dependent on bh when not at net. fh was useless. yet still got to fo final, won multiple clay titles incl hamburg, plus all his gs titles n other achievements.

topspin, slice, flat, approach, cc, dtl, i/o - the dude could do everythin with it. why? cos he had to do everythin with it. connors, lendl, sampras, becker, agassi, courier, mac, wilander n anyone else decent on tour all eat his fh for breakfast. is rare someone with fh as crap as edberg even win a gs title, let alone 6 n become one of alltiime greats. why? big part coz of amazing bh.

/thread

But then, Edberg was hardly not at net :) That said, he had a great backhand. Not sure how effective it would be today.

Becker, otoh, had a *superb* high backhand. I can totally see him crushing winners off Nadal's loopy forehands.

underground
07-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Best slice for Fed.
Best CC for Fed. (See IW against Rafa)
Best passing shot for Murray + Rafa.
Best DTL for Djoker.

Flash O'Groove
07-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Interesting, hadn't thought of it like that, you're right the backhand complements Fed's game well but as a weapon Waw's would probably win out!

Yes it was a very interesting post from paulolorenzo. Federer's game is so efficient because everything he does take place in a game strategy. And if it is cleat that he has a very strong backhand, it remains that he use it to set up forehand winner.

CocaCola
07-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Someone who can't attack constantly with enough pace on his BH, cannot be considered an all-time great. That goes for Murray.

Someone offer me to chose who's BH do I want, I'd probably say Djokovic's because it's most useful in general, despite the lack of a great slice.

NostalgiaTennisFan
09-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Boris Becker - hands down. In terms of power in a typical baseline rally it was the most intimidating shot out there. It had everything, slice, topspin, and unparalleled power produced effortlesly with a very compact stroke. During Becker - Courier ATP world final in 1992 (in which Becker dismantled peak Courier's game) Newcombe asked fellow comentator Fred Stolle if he had ever seen a bigger one hander than Boris' - Fred replied 'Nope, not even close!' Boris backhand return was like a lazer, only he had the ability to hit a cold winner off Ivanisevic's booming first delivery. I believe Boris Becker's backhand to be the best ever - not only among the single handers but among all backhands in history. In fact belief in his backhand is what led Becker astray in terms of tactics - he would often take on the best of the best baseliner and try to beat him at his own game, he had the backhand to do it but not the patience, hence only 6 grand slams to his name. With the right strategy, employing his all-court power tennis, he could have been GOAT. Salute to the deadliest singlehander ever.

Chico
09-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Djokovic of course. How is this even a question that is debated here?

:mad:

Wynter
09-15-2014, 05:12 AM
Nalbandian, the angles he could make was ridiculous for a Two Hander.

E36BMWM3
09-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Nalbandian, the angles he could make was ridiculous for a Two Hander.

I'd have to agree... when on, Nalbandian's backhand was the best

President
09-15-2014, 05:20 AM
Djokovic of course. How is this even a question that is debated here?

:mad:

What makes Djokovic's backhand so much better than guys like Safin, Nalbandian, Agassi, Laver, Rosewall, etc etc? Why are you so convinced that these other guys don't even come close? :neutral:

objectivity
09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
i would have to say Agassi. i think technically, Nalbandian's was the best. but Agassi backed it up with real results. and consistency over 18 years.

Djokovic will be my second pick.

NatF
09-15-2014, 05:25 AM
What makes Djokovic's backhand so much better than guys like Safin, Nalbandian, Agassi, Laver, Rosewall, etc etc? Why are you so convinced that these other guys don't even come close? :neutral:

Would be easier to get blood out of a stone.

Wynter
09-15-2014, 05:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBdNRP2J9k

Wynter
09-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Oh wait, does Kuerten come into this discussion as a potential underdog? Never saw enough of him to pass judgement.

jersey34tennis
09-15-2014, 06:01 AM
for two handers nalbandian first then murray. murray edges slightly with slice and regular finesse shots on that side but nalbandian was regularly more devastating on that side. agassi's returns and drives but him up there but his limited movement and akward slice put him below those two.

one hander - becker. awesome. for some reason i never think of him right away for one handers but watching a lot of him latey puts him at one for me. then edberg, then mcenroe

President
09-15-2014, 06:05 AM
^How did Becker's backhand compare with Wawrinka's? Both seem to be huge, bludgeoning shots but isn't Stan's a little more consistent than Becker's was?

bjsnider
09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Today's backhands seem less varied than the dead ball era. Someone from the 70s at the latest probably had the best, just like baseball's best hitters were from the dead ball era, eg. Cobb, Hornsby et al.

SamprasisGOAT
09-15-2014, 08:39 AM
Ivan lendl has the best single backhand and Andre Agassi has the best double handed backhand

coloskier
09-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Anyone with a 2HBH by nature that they are too weak to hit a 1HBH should be immediately thrown out of this group.

LoboR1
09-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Andre Agassi

Enga
09-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I like Laver's running backhand pass. Its quite the regal shot, fit for a king. Isaw a video of it on youtube, him playing against Connors. An awesome shot.

Hard to form a consensus about who has the best backhand. Many will reason that a backhand is good because it achieves good results, allowing a player to win their matches. Whereas others will base their judgement by who regularly hits exceptional shots off that wing without neccesarily winning.

Gary Duane
09-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Today's 2HBH is a hybrid. Two handers use two hands for topspin, but one hand for slice.

When Borg was playing two handers did everything with two hands on the backhand side except a desperate shot.

I'd like to see a discussion of how and when this change happened.

It has a huge impact on the overall 2HBH discussion.

Shaolin
09-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Nalbandian.

dominikk1985
09-16-2014, 12:47 AM
^How did Becker's backhand compare with Wawrinka's? Both seem to be huge, bludgeoning shots but isn't Stan's a little more consistent than Becker's was?

not even Close. becker could occasionally blast a big winner but Overall the FH was his better side and People would try to find his BH. beckers BH was neither as consistent, nor consistently powerfull as stan's BH.

Supertegwyn
09-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Bernie Tomic.

CurrenFan
09-16-2014, 02:20 AM

Maybe it's because some of us have actually seen Federer's backhand recently and noticed that it's not any sort of weapon at all. 95+% of the time he either uses it to block back shots or slices, almost always to the center of the court. Go look up the statistics from this year's Wimbledon final - Djokovic had something like 5x the number of backhand winners that Federer had.

I can't say I recall what Federer's backhand looked like 6-10 years ago, but I can't imagine it was that much more fearsome than it is today. Federer would have 22+ Slams if he had started out with a 2-handed backhand.

edberg505
09-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Maybe it's because some of us have actually seen Federer's backhand recently and noticed that it's not any sort of weapon at all. 95+% of the time he either uses it to block back shots or slices, almost always to the center of the court. Go look up the statistics from this year's Wimbledon final - Djokovic had something like 5x the number of backhand winners that Federer had.

I can't say I recall what Federer's backhand looked like 6-10 years ago, but I can't imagine it was that much more fearsome than it is today. Federer would have 22+ Slams if he had started out with a 2-handed backhand.

22+ slams!?!?!?! Bahahahaha. I guess you're working under the assumption that his theoretical 2-handed backhand would be world class. Just because someone has a 2-handed backhand doesn't automatically make it a world class shot. For instance, I think Nalbandian's backhand is quite possibly the best I have ever seen. Now, if Federer had Nalbandian's backhand he would be a juggernaut. But Federer's one hander in his prime was quite the formidable shot. In a backhand to backhand exchange in his prime, he was nearly unparalleled.

tipsa...don'tlikehim!
09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Since the original question implied topspin + slice + volley, I would say Nalbandian as well.

thomasferrett
09-17-2014, 05:35 AM
not even Close. becker could occasionally blast a big winner but Overall the FH was his better side and People would try to find his BH. beckers BH was neither as consistent, nor consistently powerfull as stan's BH.

But people try to find EVERYONE'S backhand, because that's just what you do in tennis. Wouldn't matter if you had the world's best backhand and a terrible forehand - even if people knew that, they would still try to find your backhand in order to hit high to it.

Hitting heavy topspin high trajectory forehands to the backhand (I/O forehands in righty vs righty, and CC forehands in lefty vs righty) is almost the only strategy that is used on the pro tour.

Whenever pro's play Wawrinka and Gasquet, they try to find their backhands as well. No-one would attack a forehand, even if the backhand is stronger than the forehand.

Fandango
09-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I think Wawrinka's technique on the backhand wing is stellar. He could really neutralize the heavy spin forehands of Nadal compared to Federer.

Safin's backhand is good but it helps to be as strong as he is. Nalbandian's backhand was the most fluid, efficient backhand I've seen so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cEQ3WZI68

Chico
09-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Unbelievable how much people underrate Djokovic here.

Just sickening. :mad:

endbegin
09-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Nalbandian on the 2HBH and Guga on the 1HBH.

President
09-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Unbelievable how much people underrate Djokovic here.

Just sickening. :mad:

From a pure stroke perspective, do you really think Djokovic's backhand is far superior to Agassi, Safin, and Nalbandian? If nothing else, it is at least close between them.

SpinToWin
09-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Nalbandian would also be my pick.

This thread however shows me one thing: how underrated Federer's backhand is by many, likely because of all the kids who only just recently started watching tennis.

Federer20042006
09-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Nalbandian just made it look so easy. You watch him hit backhands and wonder why everyone isn't doing it.

augustobt
09-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Nalbandian on the two hander. Guga in the one hander.

PMChambers
09-18-2014, 03:51 AM
Edberg & Rosewell.
But Rosewell would struggle from mid 80's onward due to lack of topspin and his BH is primarily for attacking the net and playing for position.

Borg as wildcard. He could do anything with his 1.5HB.He could hit single handed topspin or slice when needed, a 1.5HB where he release the second hand after ball strike finishing 1HB or for short cross court he kept both hands on the racquet and used left dominate hand to wrist the angle. Maybe not the greatest but very hard to pick and lots of variety.

Steve0904
09-18-2014, 04:26 AM

That post you quoted was made in 2012 there guy. Relax a bit hey? Or better yet, watch what you quote.

As for the bold part, well therein lies the problem yes? And this is not meant to be snide, but Youtube is your friend in this case. Was Federer's BH in his prime a "kill" shot? No, but for best overall BH, he's up there. He usually uses his slice CC to step around a BH and hit a FH anyway so his game is not predicated around having the worlds best topspin BH. His BH in his prime was a solid rally shot. Nothing like what you see today. He obviously had and still has a great slice, and his signature flick BH passing shot which you rarely see today because he's old and slow, was really something. That shot alone puts him up there in the passing shot category. Then he had the chip BH return to neutralize a big serve. Something else that has declined a fair bit because his reflexes are gone.

For the record, I wouldn't give him best overall BH, but I do think he's in the conversation. His drive BH return, and the fact that he doesn't hit straight up winners with pace either DTL or CC count against him, but I would definitely put him ahead of guys like Wawrinka and Gasquet on pure variety since neither of those guys really have a slice to speak of.

Flash O'Groove
09-18-2014, 04:48 AM
I think Wawrinka's technique on the backhand wing is stellar. He could really neutralize the heavy spin forehands of Nadal compared to Federer.

Safin's backhand is good but it helps to be as strong as he is. Nalbandian's backhand was the most fluid, efficient backhand I've seen so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cEQ3WZI68

He did once in Australia, but I remember that he said after his loss to Nadal in RG2013 (3 one sided sets, Wawrinka was playing very well) that Nadal was impossible to play for a one hander on clay.

pmerk34
09-18-2014, 05:23 AM
Edberg & Rosewell.
But Rosewell would struggle from mid 80's onward due to lack of topspin and his BH is primarily for attacking the net and playing for position.

Borg as wildcard. He could do anything with his 1.5HB.He could hit single handed topspin or slice when needed, a 1.5HB where he release the second hand after ball strike finishing 1HB or for short cross court he kept both hands on the racquet and used left dominate hand to wrist the angle. Maybe not the greatest but very hard to pick and lots of variety.

Connors picked on Borgs BH in the '76 US open final.

jersey34tennis
09-18-2014, 05:32 AM
the reason i put becker over wawrinka for the backhand was because i've seen him vary it more than wawrinka overall. don't get me wrong wawrinka is devastating once he gets into a rally but becker had far more pressure on serve returns. wawrinka tends to chip the return far too much and would be hard pressed against the better serve and volley players. watching becker, his returns on the backhand side were nuts at time. he could slap it , roll a lob, cross court agles, lasers down the line, and some hard blocking passing shots. so overall with slice, lobs, angles, and power i give more a more rounded backhand. wawrinka is only superior to becker with his driving backhands and the angles when he has time to setup. kinda like gasquet, great during the rally but usually court positioning and returns are somewhat of a liability.

jersey34tennis
09-18-2014, 05:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VozraFh-20I

pmerk34
09-18-2014, 05:34 AM
That post you quoted was made in 2012 there guy. Relax a bit hey? Or better yet, watch what you quote.

As for the bold part, well therein lies the problem yes? And this is not meant to be snide, but Youtube is your friend in this case. Was Federer's BH in his prime a "kill" shot? No, but for best overall BH, he's up there. He usually uses his slice CC to step around a BH and hit a FH anyway so his game is not predicated around having the worlds best topspin BH. His BH in his prime was a solid rally shot. Nothing like what you see today. He obviously had and still has a great slice, and his signature flick BH passing shot which you rarely see today because he's old and slow, was really something. That shot alone puts him up there in the passing shot category. Then he had the chip BH return to neutralize a big serve. Something else that has declined a fair bit because his reflexes are gone.

For the record, I wouldn't give him best overall BH, but I do think he's in the conversation. His drive BH return, and the fact that he doesn't hit straight up winners with pace either DTL or CC count against him, but I would definitely put him ahead of guys like Wawrinka and Gasquet on pure variety since neither of those guys really have a slice to speak of.

It's a miracle the man can even walk without a limp he's so old. Was that him in July taking Djokovic to a 5th set in the Wimbledon final on one leg?

Federer20042006
09-18-2014, 06:01 AM
and the fact that he doesn't hit straight up winners with pace either DTL or CC count against him

:confused:

What the hell are you talking about? That's exactly what he did. In his prime, he was always at or near the top in backhand winners. His backhand issues were stability in rallies and in being aggressive on the return (although with the return, that's true of all 1HBHs from what I've seen). From a shot making standpoint, he was always right up at the top.

He didn't hit as many winners as Gasquet/Wawrinka, but then for those guys it was their main weapon. He certainly hit more than Djokovic or Murray.

SpinToWin
09-18-2014, 09:57 AM

my friend, you also need a refresher on the Federer backhand. He hit a fair amount of backhand winners in his prime and used the DTL backhand very effectively, as well as angled CC topspin backhands (or loopy CC topspin backhands) which always had the opponent guessing when combined with his slice.

I see a large decline in his backhand ever since the middle of the year. It seems he hesitates at making solid contact in fear of hitting long, which hurts the shot quite a bit (see his shortened follow through on most backhands) as it then lacks pace, depth and penetration.

PMChambers
09-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Connors picked on Borgs BH in the '76 US open final.

Connors picked on nearly everyone's BH, he was a lefty and his best BH was bunt down the line and forehand cross court. Typically he played short compact slice/flat 2HB down the line and went to net on anything short. Though he was not a pure volleyer it was his preference on big points and short shot, compared to a Rosewall or McEnroe who would attack the net from a ball within a meter of the baseline. Also who'd attack Borgs FH that was like attacking Nadal's FH in today's game, pointless in the long run, he did not miss it very often so was up to the attacker to force play.

I just like his BH, even though it's 2HB or 1.5HB it still awesome especially in preparation and on any surface.

Wynter
09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
If you're factoring in Volleys, Spin, Passing Shots as the dude said

Hewitt is also a good mention, has one of the best slices in the mens game, one of the best at the net (not saying much I know) and at his peak he passed opponents at will

Plus that backhand lob which he mastered gives him another area

I'd still back Nalbandian though

captainbryce
09-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Can anyone cite me one instance of a match from Federer's prime (2004-2006) where he got dominated in backhand to backhand exchanges against anyone NOT named Nadal? His verstaility on that side is nigh unmatched.David Nalbandian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_wClDQoa0&t=1m22s

I'd also be inclined to put Agassi and Safin (both of whom had superior backhands to Federer) on that list.

captainbryce
09-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Agassi made as many backhand errors as Federer in that match. It was a sloppy performance by both guys, until Federer hit God mode in the 4th set.You must be smoking crack!

abmk
09-18-2014, 07:15 PM
David Nalbandian:

I'd also be inclined to put Agassi and Safin (both of whom had superior backhands to Federer) on that list.

that is some absolutely sick ball striking .......:)

tipsa...don'tlikehim!
09-18-2014, 07:35 PM
David Nalbandian:

the tennis produced by Nalbandian in that match was phenomenal

Federer20042006
09-18-2014, 10:32 PM
David Nalbandian:

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5Bth5FO90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxNlP9AYsWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkBUod7nnC0

Not only did Agassi not dominate Federer in the backhand battle, he LOST the backhand battle with Federer in most matches.

Zoid
09-19-2014, 03:10 AM
Nalbandian, Agassi or Kafelnikov

because those three guys had great slices and backhand volleys….:shock:

Zoid
09-19-2014, 03:14 AM
given the question regards the completeness of the backhand side, from recent memory i would have to say tommy haas. phenomenal topspin backhand, great slice, volleys exceptionally well for a top singles player, great feel/drop shot. can do it all.

Andy Murray has a very complete backhand side also, pretty good slice for a two-hander.

I hate to do it but an honourable mention must go to fed purely bc he has hit shots off that side that no one else in the game has hit ever. period. And his backhand in his prime was actually quite a good one-handed backhand. And he also has the best backhand overhead in todays game by a mile.

President
09-19-2014, 04:51 AM

Nalbandian's slice was pretty damn nice and he was known as one of the top volleyers on the singles tour. His topspin backhand was also probably the best ever.

Steve0904
09-19-2014, 05:01 AM
my friend, you also need a refresher on the Federer backhand. He hit a fair amount of backhand winners in his prime and used the DTL backhand very effectively, as well as angled CC topspin backhands (or loopy CC topspin backhands) which always had the opponent guessing when combined with his slice.

I see a large decline in his backhand ever since the middle of the year. It seems he hesitates at making solid contact in fear of hitting long, which hurts the shot quite a bit (see his shortened follow through on most backhands) as it then lacks pace, depth and penetration.

What I meant about the BH was that he never did crush it in the Wawrinka sense, but yes he did hit a fair few winners both ways obviously. And yes he had a fair few great matches on that side. Of course, the one against Blake comes immediately to mind.

SpinToWin
09-19-2014, 05:17 AM
What I meant about the BH was that he never did crush it in the Wawrinka sense, but yes he did hit a fair few winners both ways obviously. And yes he had a fair few great matches on that side. Of course, the one against Blake comes immediately to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRKCWGE_dI

pmerk34
09-19-2014, 05:19 AM

James Blake could murder his backhand too. I saw him live once and was in awe.

Fiji
09-19-2014, 05:24 AM
Rod Laver.

Steve0904
09-19-2014, 08:57 AM

James Blake could murder his backhand too. I saw him live once and was in awe.

Exactly. Everything is just being taken a bit too literally here. As a rule of Federer's game his BH was never his main weapon, and I think that hurts him in these debates. Federer's pattern of play is to use the slice CC to get a weak reply because the shot is rarely attacked and then step around his BH to hit his FH.

In contrast, almost every other guy being mentioned here has a better topspin BH than they do FH.

So naturally guys like Nalbandian or Safin or Djokovic or Agassi will have better topspin BH's than Federer in that they could hit either way for winners more often than Federer did. That's just a general statement. It doesn't mean it happened in every match.

But as I said, he's up there in overall terms because his slice is great, and his passing shots off that side are above average at least, and his return is pretty good. Unlike the likes of Djokovic or Wawrinka for example since neither have great slices or passing shots (although Djokovic has a great BH drop shot).

pmerk34
09-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Exactly. Everything is just being taken a bit too literally here. As a rule of Federer's game his BH was never his main weapon, and I think that hurts him in these debates. Federer's pattern of play is to use the slice CC to get a weak reply because the shot is rarely attacked and then step around his BH to hit his FH.

In contrast, almost every other guy being mentioned here has a better topspin BH than they do FH.

So naturally guys like Nalbandian or Safin or Djokovic or Agassi will have better topspin BH's than Federer in that they could hit either way for winners more often than Federer did. That's just a general statement. It doesn't mean it happened in every match.

But as I said, he's up there in overall terms because his slice is great, and his passing shots off that side are above average at least, and his return is pretty good. Unlike the likes of Djokovic or Wawrinka for example since neither have great slices or passing shots (although Djokovic has a great BH drop shot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9O3ZyOa7cE

Federer20042006
09-19-2014, 09:52 AM

No, they don't. A player whose backhand is his main weapon is a rarity. It's not even true of Wawrinka anymore.

Uh, no. Federer hit more BH winners than any two-hander. The one-handers nearly always hit more winners than the two-handers. The two-hander is about stability in rallies and being able to hit deep top spin on returns. Guys with one-handed backhands are nearly always more offensive than guys with two-handers. Gasquet and Wawrinka are the top two in terms of hitting backhand winners, and it isn't particularly close. In his prime, Federer was hitting more BH winners than anybody other than those two.

These days, Federer doesn't hit winners off the ground anymore, period, unless it's the first ball off a good serve.

tipsa...don'tlikehim!
09-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Nalbandian and Kafelnikov yes, good slice and good volleys. Agassi? not really.

Zoid
09-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Nalbandian and Kafelnikov yes, good slice and good volleys. Agassi? not really.

Nalbandian has good feel and had a decent slice backhand (good for a two-hander), but it was hardly a great slice by tour standards like a lopez or federer. Murray uses his slice as a change of pace way more than these 3 guys ever did. I don't rate Kafelnikov's volleys and i definitely would not say Agassi had good volleys. These three guys all had amazing topspin backhands but the question was about overall completeness. They can't hit backhand overheads (nalbandian is alright at it though), they rarely used the slice often enough to warrant merit for it, and they rarely approached the net enough to showcase how they could handle tough low volleys on the backhand side.

I put haas and federer and murray ahead of them because although i would take nalbandians, kafelnikov, or agassi's backhand over any of my picks probably, their backhand side was not as 'complete.'

pc1
09-20-2014, 07:49 AM
For players for played just in the Open Era I would think that Connors, Borg, Djokovic, Agassi, Murray, Nalbanian are among the top names.

For those who played in both pre Open and Open I would say Laver, Ashe, Rosewall.

For pre Open only I would say Tilden, Budge, Kovacs, Lacoste, Nusslein, Trabert.

125downthemiddle
09-20-2014, 07:56 AM
I think some here are confusing "overall" with "has the most variety"

Chico
09-20-2014, 09:56 AM
I think some here are confusing "overall" with "has the most variety"

This and all that only to underrate Djokovic, whose BH is clearly the best one ever to anyone impartial.

President
09-20-2014, 11:37 AM
This and all that only to underrate Djokovic, whose BH is clearly the best one ever to anyone impartial.

What is clearly better about Djokovic's backhand than Nalbandian's, Connors' Agassi's, or Murray's?

smoledman
09-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Kei Nishikori has the best backhand I've ever seen.

Zoid
09-20-2014, 04:06 PM

"By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys."

Given this sentence in the OP's statement, Djokovic is clearly NOT. He has an awful slice, and his volleys are again, awful for a world no.1. God help my eyes if he ever even tried a backhand overhead. His bh drive, return and passing shots are the best right now for sure.

buscemi
09-21-2014, 03:17 AM
I'm really surprised there's not more love for Edberg in this thread. If you look at the list of people with more than a couple Majors, he is clearly the player with the worst forehand. And that's because he won his Majors with his backhand. He could come over it, he could slice it, he had arguably the best backhand approach shot of all time, and he had arguably the best backhand volley of all time. If this thread is about the most versatile backhand of all time, I don't see how you top Edberg.

jg153040
09-21-2014, 03:19 AM
For faster surfaces, Federer has to be on the list.

He is wreaking havoc with his backhand on fast surfaces.

Cincy, WTF, USO, W.

Le Master
09-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Cincy, WTF, USO, W.

Nalbandian was very good on fast surfaces too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfEDoksTz4

And even Davydenko for that matter.

Vensai
09-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Don Budge or Ken Rosewall. Take your pick.

Chico
09-21-2014, 11:50 AM
What is clearly better about Djokovic's backhand than Nalbandian's, Connors' Agassi's, or Murray's?

Everything. Top spin. DTH, CC, return, passing shot, ... take your pick.

Vensai
09-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Everything. Top spin. DTH, CC, return, passing shot, ... take your pick.
Djokovic does not have a better flat backhand than Jimmy Connors.

Amalhotra
09-21-2014, 01:24 PM
2 handed
Safin djokovic agassi
I'd give honourable mentions to delpo and murray

1 handed
Stan the man and gasquet

objectivity
09-21-2014, 01:26 PM
2 handed
Safin djokovic agassi
I'd give honourable mentions to delpo and murray

1 handed
Stan the man and gasquet

lol giving consideration to del potro (???!!) while excluding nalbandian. lol. ok ok, time out.

Rock Strongo
09-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Factoring in everything, the answer is and always will be Edberg.

jg153040
09-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Nalbandian was very good on fast surfaces too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfEDoksTz4

And even Davydenko for that matter.

Yeah, that is true about topspin backhands. But the thread is about overall. Federer has amazing block, flick, slice, volleys. His topspin is still very good, while not the best.

So, overall I think Federer deserves to be mentioned. This is baseline era and guys mostly all hit to his backhand.

Federer actually said he would want to have Nalbandian topspin backhand.

Amalhotra
09-21-2014, 02:34 PM
lol giving consideration to del potro (???!!) while excluding nalbandian. lol. ok ok, time out.

Yeah sorry I'm ridiculously bias toward delpo, he's my favorite player. Had to include his name somewhere

CurrenFan
09-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Cincy, WTF, USO, W.

Did you even see Federer play at Wimbledon this year??

His backhand was weak and ineffective - he did nothing with it other than slice or block back to the center of the court.

In the finals, Djokovic won 11 points on backhand winners, Federer only 2.

============

I've never studied players' backhands very intently, but I'd have to say that my top five would include Djokovic, Agassi, Connors, and Edberg, maybe Nadal would round out that list.

captainbryce
09-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Not only did Agassi not dominate Federer in the backhand battle, he LOST the backhand battle with Federer in most matches.You can roll your eyes all you want to. But picking and choosing 3 specific matches in which Federer happened to win some of the bh rallies does not make your case. Agassi in his peak would utterly dominate Federer in bh to bh rallies. That is not even arguable to anyone with a realistic understanding their tactics. So it might just be better to agree to disagree.

captainbryce
09-21-2014, 04:07 PM

I might go with Edberg

1. Edberg
2. Nalbandian
3. Murray
4. Haas
5. Federer
6. Safin
7. Nadal
8. Dmitrov
9. Wawrenka
10. Berdych

The top 5 on this list in my opinion are the only ones who exemplify each type of backhand. Safin in my opinion comes in at a distant 6th behind Federer, and then the list becomes a matter of splitting hairs. Nobody else should realistically make this list. These are the only players that I can think of who are truly effective on all the different types of backhands (drive, slice, return, drop shot, volley, lob).

By the way, I think a lot of people commenting have been fixating only on the "slice" backhand, along with the backhand volley as being the crucial components when judging overall effectiveness. However, many are forgetting some of the other criteria you mentioned (passing shots and returns). I would also add backhand drop shots and lobs to that "overall" backhand component. And when everything is weighed equally, Agassi and Djokovic actually moves up on the list significantly (as they both have excellent returns, drop shots, lobs, and passing shots off the backhand wing, in addition to the power drive).

As you suggested, other players that have great backhand drives (Gulbis, Gasquet, Nishikori, etc) are less effective with slice shots or volleys or some of the other touch shots. While other players that have a lot of variety on the backhand side (Hewitt, Gonzalez, Lopez, Stepenek, etc), tend to lack pace or consistency with the drive backhand.

**Roddick actually had a really good slice backhand during the rally (one of the most consistent at staying low and in). However, he is usually criticized for having a mediocre backhand overall due to his average return of serve, inconsistent drive backhand, predictable slice approach shots, and a backhand volley that was almost non-existent.

Rock Strongo
09-21-2014, 04:14 PM
1. Edberg
2. Nalbandian
3. Murray
4. Haas
5. Federer
6. Safin
7. Nadal
8. Dmitrov
9. Wawrenka
10. Berdych

The top 5 on this list in my opinion are the only ones who exemplify each type of backhand. Safin in my opinion comes in at a distant 6th behind Federer, and then the list becomes a matter of splitting hairs. Nobody else should realistically make this list. These are the only players that I can think of who are truly effective on all the different types of backhands (drive, slice, return, drop shot, volley, lob).

By the way, I think a lot of people commenting have been fixating only on the "slice" backhand, along with the backhand volley as being the crucial components when judging overall effectiveness. However, many are forgetting some of the other criteria you mentioned (passing shots and returns). I would also add backhand drop shots and lobs to that "overall" backhand component. And when everything is weighed equally, Agassi and Djokovic actually moves up on the list significantly (as they both have excellent returns, drop shots, lobs, and passing shots off the backhand wing, in addition to the power drive).

As you suggested, other players that have great backhand drives (Gulbis, Gasquet, Nishikori, etc) are less effective with slice shots or volleys or some of the other touch shots. While other players that have a lot of variety on the backhand side (Hewitt, Gonzalez, Lopez, Stepenek, etc), tend to lack pace or consistency with the drive backhand.

**Roddick actually had a really good slice backhand during the rally (one of the most consistent at staying low and in). However, he is usually criticized for having a mediocre backhand overall due to his average return of serve, inconsistent drive backhand, predictable slice approach shots, and a backhand volley that was almost non-existent.

Beating a certain someone to the punch here:

This is just more biased undermining of Djokovic. He should be placed first on this list. Murray? He does not even deserve to be in this list. And DIMITROV? That talentless hack is nothing, his backhand is nothing, and he'll amount to nothing.

captainbryce
09-21-2014, 04:28 PM
This is just more biased undermining of Djokovic. He should be placed first on this list. Murray? He does not even deserve to be in this list. And DIMITROV? That talentless hack is nothing, his backhand is nothing, and he'll amount to nothing.Your opinion is noted (and easily dismissed). Djokovic's slice and volley (as so many others have noted) is not on par with anyone else on the list. Murray is superior to Djokovic off the backhand in EVERY respect except the drive backhand. Your comment about Dimitrov is so ridiculous it's not even worth commenting on.

90's Clay
09-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Umm No Agassi???

Rock Strongo
09-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Your opinion is noted (and easily dismissed). Djokovic's slice and volley (as so many others have noted) is not on par with anyone else on the list. Murray is superior to Djokovic off the backhand in EVERY respect except the drive backhand. Your comment about Dimitrov is so ridiculous it's not even worth commenting on.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q517/RamadhaniH/HA_zpse10fd471.jpg

Coincidentally, with quite a good backhand himself.

Le Master
09-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Federer actually said he would want to have Nalbandian topspin backhand.

Do you have a source for this?

vegasgt3
09-22-2014, 08:51 PM
1-Safin
2-Nalbandian
3-Agassi
4-Djokovic

+1 I agree completely

acesampras
09-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Djokovic and Agassi are the top 2.
Nalbandian, Safin, Edberg, Connors and Murray definitely deserve a mention.

Not going to even address the clown who posted the most ridiculous best backhand list ever. Nadal? Dimitrov? Federer? You are having a laugh. There is a reason many people have singled out Nadal as having the weakest bakchand of a GS champion ever. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad shot. But it certainly doesn't deserve a spot on any best of list and nor do Dimi and Roger's.

But by all means ignore Agassi and Djokovic even though most people, fans and players alike, single them out as the top 2 of all time. I might make a top 10 best smashes list and make Nole number 1 :)

Zoid
09-27-2014, 04:09 AM
Djokovic and Agassi are the top 2.
Nalbandian, Safin, Edberg, Connors and Murray definitely deserve a mention.

Not going to even address the clown who posted the most ridiculous best backhand list ever. Nadal? Dimitrov? Federer? You are having a laugh. There is a reason many people have singled out Nadal as having the weakest bakchand of a GS champion ever. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad shot. But it certainly doesn't deserve a spot on any best of list and nor do Dimi and Roger's.

But by all means ignore Agassi and Djokovic even though most people, fans and players alike, single them out as the top 2 of all time. I might make a top 10 best smashes list and make Nole number 1 :)

"There is a reason many people have singled out Nadal as having the weakest bakchand of a GS champion ever."?????

Ahhhh, can you show me who has said that. Rafa's backhand is very good, i can think of a few slam champs off the top of my head with worse BH's than rafa

- Roddick
- Sampras
- Rafter
- Moya
- Courier
- Ivanisevic

NatF
09-27-2014, 07:27 AM
"There is a reason many people have singled out Nadal as having the weakest bakchand of a GS champion ever."?????

Ahhhh, can you show me who has said that. Rafa's backhand is very good, i can think of a few slam champs off the top of my head with worse BH's than rafa

- Roddick
- Sampras
- Rafter
- Moya
- Courier
- Ivanisevic

Beat me to it. Nadal's backhand is good, very consistent, excellent on the run able to crack it hard when needs be - though he does this infrequently. Certainly far from the worst backhand ever.

pc1
09-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Beat me to it. Nadal's backhand is good, very consistent, excellent on the run able to crack it hard when needs be - though he does this infrequently. Certainly far from the worst backhand ever.

I don't understand how anyone can say Nadal has a weak backhand.

As far as best overall backhand I'll throw out some names, Rosewall, Laver, Connors, Borg, Ashe, Tilden, Budge, Kovacs, Djokovic, Nalbanian, Edberg, Lacoste, Agassi, Murray.

In the Open Era it comes down to Laver, Rosewall, Connors, Djokovic and Borg I believe.

In the Pre-Open era (I'll include Laver and Rosewall in the Open Era) it's between Budge and Tilden. I'll go with Budge for that but Tilden's backhand was more versatile.

Firstservingman
09-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Roger Federer. Shoot me.

Evidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZppQvnRZhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlApguhnzWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByvWPmMZ_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6OqocHEbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyLvs-ctruk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxRcr3rxINs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0rGL-8CgfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye5i5FnFnDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBaMmGQIUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJoVDpRKHBw
(There is about 20 more of these of decent quality)

I legitimately believe this, by the way, and am not trolling in any way.

TheCanadian
09-28-2014, 04:59 AM
Federer has a better backhand than Wawrinka? In what universe?

AssaultJoker
09-28-2014, 05:27 AM
1. Edberg
2. Nalbandian
3. Murray
4. Haas
5. Federer
6. Safin
7. Nadal
8. Dmitrov
9. Wawrenka
10. Berdych

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KqiK4FdoLBk/TyaGXxJUOgI/AAAAAAAAAAM/7H_5MjVUuLQ/s1600/nadal+fail.gif

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2417210.1383767831!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/nadal-rafael.jpg

AssaultJoker
09-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Djokovic's backhand is by far the best ever, it's arguably the greatest shot ever/ End thread.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2014%5C01%5C17%5C463217 183.jpg&w=595&h=854

MichaelNadal
09-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Djokovic's backhand is by far the best ever, it's arguably the greatest shot ever/ End thread.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2F2014%5C01%5C17%5C463217 183.jpg&w=595&h=854

Nadal's backhand let's him down less than Djokovic's does actually. It's one of the most solid shots on tour and he can hit Djokovic-esque shots with it when he needs to. His slice is also much better than Novak's AND his backhand overhead smash so..... that's actually arguable ;) his 2011 backhand I'll give you, but that doesn't constitute a career. If we went by those rules Delpo USO09 would have the best FH of all time.

Chico
09-28-2014, 06:07 AM
1. Edberg
2. Nalbandian
3. Murray
4. Haas
5. Federer
6. Safin
7. Nadal
8. Dmitrov
9. Wawrenka
10. Berdych

No DJOKOVIC. People here are real haters indeed. And he even tries to justify it somehow by looooong nonense post????

Unbelievable :mad:

Chico
09-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Nadal's backhand let's him down less than Djokovic's does actually. It's one of the most solid shots on tour and he can hit Djokovic-esque shots with it when he needs to. His slice is also much better than Novak's AND his backhand overhead smash so..... that's actually arguable ;) his 2011 backhand I'll give you, but that doesn't constitute a career. If we went by those rules Delpo USO09 would have the best FH of all time.

Lol even implying that inferior Nadal's BH is remotely close to Djokovic's is beyond ridiculous.

People here are just unbelievable in their hate. :mad:

Give credit when credit is due.

MichaelNadal
09-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Lol even implying that inferior Nadal's BH is remotely close to Djokovic's is beyond ridiculous.

People here are just unbelievable in their hate. :mad:

Give credit when credit is due.

Deal with it broski ;)

AssaultJoker
09-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Sure, that is why Murray, Nalbandian, Dimitrov, Haas, Safin, Wawrinka and Berdych put together have less slams than Djokovic. :roll:

What a tool. You should be ashamed of how much wrong you are.

Why do people hate Djokovic so much here?

Why?

Haters gonna hate. Djokovic's backhand is true thing of beaty.

https://72unforcederrorswp.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/djoker.jpg

NatF
09-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Sure, that is why Murray, Nalbandian, Dimitrov, Haas, Safin, Wawrinka and Berdych put together have less slams than Djokovic. :roll:

What a tool. You should be ashamed of how much wrong you are.

Why do people hate Djokovic so much here?

Why?

So Djokovic can have a much better backhand than Nadal despite having half his number of slams, but none of those players can even come close to Djokovic because he has more slams than them :confused:

Chico
09-28-2014, 06:36 AM
So Djokovic can have a much better backhand than Nadal despite having half his number of slams, but none of those players can even come close to Djokovic because he has more slams than them :confused:

So you are saying all of those including Nadal have better BH than Djokovic. Sure. :roll: Another baseless no fact hater.

BH is Novak's best weapon. That is not the case with Nadal. I hope it makes it more clear for you. :roll:

MichaelNadal
09-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Nadal's backhand is so underrated it's insane.

Wynter
09-28-2014, 06:59 AM

I think his backhand is good, definitely in the Top 5

Off the top of my head only ones better are maybe

- Djoko
- Murray
- Gulbis
- Nishikori maybe?

The_Order
09-28-2014, 07:05 AM

That one handed bh slice passing shot he hits is insane.

thomasferrett
09-28-2014, 09:03 AM
I think his backhand is good, definitely in the Top 5

Off the top of my head only ones better are maybe

- Djoko
- Murray
- Gulbis
- Nishikori maybe?

I would say even Federer has a better backhand than Nadal. Don't forget that the Federer/Nadal match up is based around Federer's backhand being bullied, and even despite that he is able to win on occasion (even on clay).

Nadal does not have his backhand routinely bullied by anyone through a combination of his insane aversion to hitting backhands (he will run all the way over here to avoid hitting one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AB0GqpLjYs), and getting his own lefty forehand crosscourt pattern into play right from the beginning of each point.

If someone managed to pin Nadal on his backhand as often as Nadal does to other players, his backhand is going to break down as much as Federer's in addition to not having the shot-making and power that Federer has with his backhands.

For both Nadal and Federer the backhand is a weakness. For Nadal it is even more of a weakness but he hides it much better.

Rock Strongo
09-28-2014, 09:17 AM
The title reads best OVERALL backhand, not best backhand off the ground.

Djokovic2011
09-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Nadal's backhand lets him down less than Djokovic's does actually. It's one of the most solid shots on tour and he can hit Djokovic-esque shots with it when he needs to. His slice is also much better than Novak's AND his backhand overhead smash so..... that's actually arguable ;) his 2011 backhand I'll give you, but that doesn't constitute a career. If we went by those rules Delpo USO09 would have the best FH of all time.

That's because Djokovic goes for more on his babe so it stands to reason that Nadal's would look more solid to the casual viewer. :wink: Also have to disagree that Nadal's slice is much better than Novak's.

Djokovic2011
09-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Not really. When he hits through it it can be a very effective weapon but a lot of the time he tends to just push at it which is when he finds himself in trouble against the big hitters.

Gary Duane
09-28-2014, 12:30 PM
LOL Nadals BH is underrated while Djokovic is not. :shock: All that while trolls are going as far as they go to bash Novak's BH in this thread. :shock:
I love it when trolls call everyone else trolls...

Rock Strongo
09-28-2014, 12:47 PM
So apparently Djokovic has the best slice, backhand volley, backhand smash, and backhand lob ever.

Just goes to show how we're all undermin- no wait...

phnx90
09-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Djokovic and Wawrinka have the best backhands on tour at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that they have the most rounded ones. Djokovic's is prone to breaking down, and his slice is mediocre. But if I could take a pro's backhand and make it my own, both Djokovic's and Wawrinka's are up there.

Agree that Nadal's backhand is way underrated. Generally not a flashy shot, but a potent slice, great backhand volleys, awesome backhand smashes, and the best passing shots on tour, if not all time. Just so happens that Rafa almost always loops the ball back from that wing like, 80% of the time, and that's just unfortunate.

Edit: Added an explanation as to why I think Rafa's backhand is underrated.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Djokovic and Wawrinka have the best backhand on tour at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that they have the most rounded ones for sure. Djokovic's is prone to breaking down, and his slice is mediocre. But if I could take a pro's backhand and make it my own, both Djokovic's and Wawrinka's are up there.

Agree that Nadal's backhand is way underrated.

A very objective post. I like posters without rose-tinted glasses.

phnx90
09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
A very objective post. I like posters without rose-tinted glasses.
Thanks haha

Can you believe that some people here on another thread accused me of being a Federer fan and Rafa hater?

They were half right technically but I gotta say, I was taken back.

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks haha

Can you believe that some people here on another thread accused me of being a Federer fan and Rafa hater?

What puzzles me is how much it seems like it would hurt these people to just tell things like they are o_O why does everything on here need to be in your fav players favor? Not only that, but they have to trash everything about the players they hate. I have zero problems admitting if I could choose 1 backhand it would be Djokovic's, but it's not the best ALL AROUND because it isn't. Is that seriously painful to Novak fans? :lol:

Gary Duane
09-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Thanks haha

[quote]
Technically right how?

It's only human to like the style of certain players more.

That doesn't mean you have to turn into a jerk, which obviously you are not. ;)

The Green Mile
09-30-2014, 12:37 AM
On an average and consistent basis, not right at their backhands peak, Murray is right up there, if this inxludes all shots of a backhand. Edberg too.

Gary Duane
09-30-2014, 12:40 AM
What puzzles me is how much it seems like it would hurt these people to just tell things like they are o_O why does everything on here need to be in your fav players favor? Not only that, but they have to trash everything about the players they hate.

I try to think that most people here are very young and don't know much about life.

Can you imagine yourself suddenly on a plane sitting next to one of these players? Granted, they would probably be in 1st class, and we would be in coach.

But imagine yourself suddenly finding that you are sitting next to Federer, and then you say:

"Hey, I've always wanted to tell you that you suck. I hate the way you play. Every time I see you on TV, I wish someone would drop a nuke on you. You are ugly. And you don't know anything about tennis. You are a pusher. Your backhand sucks."

Or imagine the same thing, sitting next to one of the other great players.

Like:

"Rafa, you are pathetic. You pick your butt. I could pick my butt too, and I could do it better. Your hair is falling out. Why don't you do something about it. And by the way, your English sucks. And you are a fake, because every time you say your body hurts, you are making excuses. Be a man. Like me."

I'd love to see some of these fan-boys sitting next to their heroes - or the players they think they hate - as they make fools of themselves. ;)

acesampras
09-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Deal with it broski ;)

You are one of the biggest trolls on this board. There is a reason most people consider Djokovic to have one of the best backhands ever and Nadal isn't even in the conversation. Can't you be objective for once in your life? Saying something over and over wont make it true. You say you watch tennis, therefore you will know that Nadal's backhand isn't good.

phnx90
09-30-2014, 02:10 AM
What puzzles me is how much it seems like it would hurt these people to just tell things like they are o_O why does everything on here need to be in your fav players favor? Not only that, but they have to trash everything about the players they hate. I have zero problems admitting if I could choose 1 backhand it would be Djokovic's, but it's not the best ALL AROUND because it isn't. Is that seriously painful to Novak fans? :lol:
Agreed. It's not difficult to say things as it is and discuss things that aren't so obvious. Maybe it is difficult after all done almost everyone here has difficulty with it haha.
Technically right how?

It's only human to like the style of certain players more.

That doesn't mean you have to turn into a jerk, which obviously you are not. ;)
Technically right in that I am a Federer fan...thing is I'm a bigger fan of Rafa, so I'm nowhere near a Rafa hater lol.

I don't disagree that people have different tastes...it'd be stupid to to be honest. But like MichaelNadal says, just because I think that Djokovic's backhand has got weaknesses doesn't mean I hate the guy or am a rabid Nadal fan.

Or, to cite the thread I was referring to, just because I wish Rafa would stop pulling out his shorts before every serve doesn't make me a raging Fednatic.

The Green Mile
09-30-2014, 02:16 AM
You are one of the biggest trolls on this board. There is a reason most people consider Djokovic to have one of the best backhands ever and Nadal isn't even in the conversation. Can't you be objective for once in your life? Saying something over and over wont make it true. You say you watch tennis, therefore you will know that Nadal's backhand isn't good.

LMAO.

I think you need to change your sig. Having a smiley face next to it, won't make it true.

NatF
09-30-2014, 02:20 AM
LMAO.

I think you need to change your sig. Having a smiley face next to it, won't make it true.

:lol:

Just noticed his sig. Shame there aren't emoticons for bull***** otherwise he'd have a worthy replacement for that smiley face.

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 02:22 AM
:lol:

Just noticed his sig. Shame there aren't emoticons for bull***** otherwise he'd have a worthy replacement for that smiley face.

The only handful of people here that have a problem with me are the most extreme and BLATANT trolls on TTW. It boggles my mind how they always come for me. An objective Nadal fan that people like? :shock: uh-uh, can't have that! :lol: I think one of these guys is Monfed, just haven't figured out which.

The Green Mile
09-30-2014, 02:25 AM
The only handful of people here that have a problem with me are the most extreme and BLATANT trolls on TTW. It boggles my mind how they always come for me. On objective Nadal fan that people like? :shock: uh-uh, can't have that! :lol: I think one of these guys is Monfed, just haven't figured out which.

Yeah, it's funny...Possibly, but I did see a user called Monfed on MTF posting away, while browsing there a couple weeks back.

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 02:29 AM
MTF is definitely way better suited for trolling and haters. They should all go there.

phnx90
09-30-2014, 02:32 AM
The only handful of people here that have a problem with me are the most extreme and BLATANT trolls on TTW. It boggles my mind how they always come for me. An objective Nadal fan that people like? :shock: uh-uh, can't have that! :lol: I think one of these guys is Monfed, just haven't figured out which.
That's funny, since Monfed and I got along rather well, and he even called me an objective Nadal fan haha. Man, this forum hasn't been the same since he left. I don't even know what happened. Did he get banned? TTW is in dire need of classic characters, and he was one of them IMO.

All we have now are Djoko fans who get upset when other posters don't rank Djokovic as #1 in everything, then hypocritically dismiss Fedal like it were somehow justified.

NatF
09-30-2014, 02:32 AM

I think acesampras is Monfed, he's just missing the Mirka DP :lol:

I don't mind him really, but that might just be because he never posts ***** about Federer. It's these Jokers that get on my nerves these days.

LazyNinja19
09-30-2014, 02:34 AM

LOL. Didn't i tell you already? This guy Mayonnaise sends me hate emails after every couple of days, and in one of them he confessed that he's the one person behind monfed, noball, Mayonnaise, jimmy37, fatherer, revenant etc etc.

2 of his accounts just got banned in this past one week, when he created threads specifically hurling insults at tipsa... and me. And i'm skeptical that he has 2 accounts currently active on this forum.
Seriously, the guy is a total loser and should be ignored completely.

sliceroni
09-30-2014, 02:40 AM
If Nadal's bh was as good as his fh he would have 20 plus slams right now so I agree that it isn't up there. I like Nadal so I am not trolling.

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 02:43 AM
That's funny, since Monfed and I got along rather well, and he even called me an objective Nadal fan haha. Man, this forum hasn't been the same since he left. I don't even know what happened. Did he get banned? TTW is in dire need of classic characters, and he was one of them IMO.

All we have now are Djoko fans who get upset when other posters don't rank Djokovic as #1 in everything, then hypocritically dismiss Fedal like it were somehow justified.

Nah we don't need MF back, trust me. (I'm 95% sure he's here anyway) The bolded couldn't be closer to the truth though!

I think acesampras is Monfed, he's just missing the Mirka DP :lol:

I don't mind him really, but that might just be because he never posts ***** about Federer. It's these Jokers that get on my nerves these days.

Too bad Federer didn't win Wimbledon, because that was the opening of the flood gates. Djokovic gets 8 slams and they go ape....

LOL. Didn't i tell you already? This guy Mayonnaise sends me hate emails after every couple of days, and in one of them he confessed that he's the one person behind monfed, moonballs, Mayonnaise, jimmy37, fatherer, revenant etc etc.

2 of his accounts just got banned in this past one week, when he created threads specifically hurling insults at tipsa... and me. And i'm skeptical that he has 2 accounts currently active on this forum.

Oh I'm not surprised in the least. They all act like the exact same person. EXACT same, including their MichaelNadal fascination.

phnx90
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Nah we don't need MF back, trust me. (I'm 95% sure he's here anyway) The bolded couldn't be closer to the truth though!

What happened to monfed anyway?

President
09-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Too bad Federer didn't win Wimbledon, because that was the opening of the flood gates. Djokovic gets 8 slams and they go ape....

Oh I'm not surprised in the least. They all act like the exact same person. EXACT same, including their MichaelNadal fascination.

By the way Michael, did you know Monfed is living in Charlotte now too? I see him on MTF sometimes, he said he would meet up with you but he was afraid you wouldn't leave him in one piece :)

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 09:07 AM
By the way Michael, did you know Monfed is living in Charlotte now too? I see him on MTF sometimes, he said he would meet up with you but he was afraid you wouldn't leave him in one piece :)

:shock:
Well there's a surprise.

President
09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
:shock:
Well there's a surprise.

I think he is actually a decent guy, he just really really loves Federer and wants to see his records stand the test of time. In a couple of posts, he's said he doesn't mind Nadal as a person but just hates that he is inching closer to Roger's records (and doing it mainly on clay). I definitely prefer him to a certain Djokovic fan on this forum, who certainly belongs on MTF.

You guys should grab a beer and have a GOAT debate in person:twisted:

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
I think he is actually a decent guy, he just really really loves Federer and wants to see his records stand the test of time. In a couple of posts, he's said he doesn't mind Nadal as a person but just hates that he is inching closer to Roger's records (and doing it mainly on clay). I definitely prefer him to a certain Djokovic fan on this forum, who certainly belongs on MTF.

Lol hard pass on that, but maybe I'll invite him to the next Fedal match ;)

SpinToWin
09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

no more GOAT debates, please :lol:

heninfan99
09-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Justine Henin and 2nd place isn't even close.

President
09-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Lol hard pass on that, but maybe I'll invite him to the next Fedal match ;)

hahaha, he will tear up your place if/when Federer loses :)

pc1
09-30-2014, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure who you're talking about but I suppose I understand the logic. :)

serenaserve
09-30-2014, 10:51 AM
So you are saying all of those including Nadal have better BH than Djokovic. Sure. :roll: Another baseless no fact hater.

BH is Novak's best weapon. That is not the case with Nadal. I hope it makes it more clear for you. :roll:

Sampras's best weapon is his serve. Karlovic who has 5% the career of Sampras still has a better serve. So that logic applied from Djokovic's backhand vs so and so (and no I don't mean Nadal, but the much less accomplished players with great backhands you are dissmising just because they haven't won as much as Novak) does not hold water.

President
09-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure who you're talking about but I suppose I understand the logic. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=689708

^now banned :(

jaggy
09-30-2014, 10:55 AM
I'd consider Connors, in many respects it was his best shot, certainly most reliable and he had quite a career.

pc1
09-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Oh yeah, I've seen a few of his posts.

pc1
09-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I'd consider Connors, in many respects it was his best shot, certainly most reliable and he had quite a career.

Certainly the Connors backhand is one of the great strokes in tennis history. Besides the solid hitting, great power and return he had very nice variety. He could lob, it was strong on approach shots and he also had a great running backhand. He also could hit some nice angles on his backhand.

Gary Duane
09-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Agreed. It's not difficult to say things as it is and discuss things that aren't so obvious. Maybe it is difficult after all done almost everyone here has difficulty with it haha.

Technically right in that I am a Federer fan...thing is I'm a bigger fan of Rafa, so I'm nowhere near a Rafa hater lol.

That's really close to where I am, except I honestly like both these players about the same. :)

I don't disagree that people have different tastes...it'd be stupid to to be honest. But like MichaelNadal says, just because I think that Djokovic's backhand has got weaknesses doesn't mean I hate the guy or am a rabid Nadal fan.

All these great players have weaknesses or they would always win.

You mentioned weaknesses in the Joker backhand. To me the backhands of Nadal, Fed and Joker all seem amazing when they are working, but that isn't always the case. I just saw Wawrinka fall apart at Rakuten, and a good part of it was that his "wonderful" backhand just fell apart today.

We tend to forget these guys are human. ;)

Or, to cite the thread I was referring to, just because I wish Rafa would stop pulling out his shorts before every serve doesn't make me a raging Fednatic.
That doesn't bother me, because it is quick. It's the toweling + the ear/nose thing and ball bouncing that drives me nuts. And Joker is just as bad for me because he is the King of Ball Bouncing. :)

Gary Duane
09-30-2014, 12:19 PM
The only handful of people here that have a problem with me are the most extreme and BLATANT trolls on TTW. It boggles my mind how they always come for me.
Some people are just troll-magnets.

To get to that place:

1) Usually be fair-minded.
2) Just once in a while lose your temper a bit at an over-the-top troll.

It doesn't take much.

I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between trolling and stalking! ;)

Gary Duane
09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
LOL. Didn't i tell you already? This guy Mayonnaise sends me hate emails after every couple of days, and in one of them he confessed that he's the one person behind monfed, noball, Mayonnaise, jimmy37, fatherer, revenant etc etc.

See? That's what I mean about trolling turning into stalking.

The nutters come back with new accounts. If they behaved they would probably be left alone. But sooner or later they go off their meds, and then they just can't stop themselves.

The person who stabbed Seles was probably not so different from a few of the fanatics we see in this forum.

phnx90
09-30-2014, 08:21 PM

Why was he banned?

MichaelNadal
09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Some people are just troll-magnets.

To get to that place:

1) Usually be fair-minded.
2) Just once in a while lose your temper a bit at an over-the-top troll.

It doesn't take much.

I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between trolling and stalking! ;)

Very true!

Justine Henin and 2nd place isn't even close.

Venus Williams says hi.

KYHacker
10-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Certainly the Connors backhand is one of the great strokes in tennis history. Besides the solid hitting, great power and return he had very nice variety. He could lob, it was strong on approach shots and he also had a great running backhand. He also could hit some nice angles on his backhand.

This might be right. Of all the great players with great backhands, two stand out in my mind-- Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert. As I think about, though, I would probably give the edge to Chrissie. Talk about a beautiful and absolutely reliable shot. Her ability to never miss and put the ball anywhere probably gives it the overall edge for me. Not a flashy shot, though.