PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Backhand Ever

DolgoSantoro
07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg

Fed Kennedy
07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Federer PROBABALEE no?

Wikky
07-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Tommy Haas, bias included.

Ballinbob
07-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Andy Murray. Excellent passing shots, drive, slice, and return

WhiskeyEE
07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
When he was on, Marat Safin had the best backhand of all time IMO. He could hit winners from anywhere like Del Po did with his forehand during USO 2009.

TeflonTom
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
edberg for sure. u dont become alltime great with chicken-wing fh unless u have amazing bh.

not the kind of bh u want 4 modern tennis tho

The Bawss
07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Guga? Djokovic? Safin? Dunno it's tough but it's certainly not Murray.

mellowyellow
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Nadal of course, his bh volleys are all the proof needed

tudwell
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Ken Rosewall

soyizgood
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
OP might need to pick names and put up a poll. I'll be real curious to see what names get picked.

pc1
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg

There are lot of players famous for their excellent backhands. I'll throw out a bunch of them, Rosewall, Laver, Kovacs, Tilden, Budge, Ashe, Edberg, Connors, Borg, Vilas, Wilander, Agassi, Nalbanian, Djokovic, Ashe.

Over the years Rosewall, Laver and Budge were regarded as top backhand names. Of the top backhands, Laver and Ashe has the most variety of shots of any of the players.

Since 1990 Edberg is up there with anyone.

10is
07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Can't believe how underrated Federer's backhand is on this forum -- and all because of his matchup issues on that side against Nadal... on clay.

Can anyone cite me one instance of a match from Federer's prime (2004-2006) where he got dominated in backhand to backhand exchanges against anyone NOT named Nadal? His verstaility on that side is nigh unmatched.

fed_rulz
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Can't believe how underrated Federer's backhand is on this forum -- and all because of his matchup issues on that side against Nadal... on clay.

Can anyone cite me one instance of a match from Federer's prime (2004-2006) where he got dominated in backhand to backhand exchanges against anyone NOT named Nadal? His verstaility on that side is nigh unmatched.

you'll not get a response ... because there isn't one that the "underraters" can provide.

dr. godmode
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Djokovic for sure. It's tough to classify old guys who played with woodies because their backhands would get raped in todays game

TeflonTom
07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
fed has a nice bh but never his main weapon. could produce nice shots on it but fh much more consistent. couldnt win tourneys on bh alone

contrast with edberg - guy was totally dependent on bh when not at net. fh was useless. yet still got to fo final, won multiple clay titles incl hamburg, plus all his gs titles n other achievements.

topspin, slice, flat, approach, cc, dtl, i/o - the dude could do everythin with it. why? cos he had to do everythin with it. connors, lendl, sampras, becker, agassi, courier, mac, wilander n anyone else decent on tour all eat his fh for breakfast. is rare someone with fh as crap as edberg even win a gs title, let alone 6 n become one of alltiime greats. why? big part coz of amazing bh.

/thread

norbac
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Probably me.

jean pierre
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Vilas. The most beautiful backhand.

JAY1
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Vilas. The most beautiful backhand.
Vilas- Best One handed backhand ever-topspin, slice & volley all outstanding.
Connors- Best Two handed backhand ever-off the ground he could do anything with his backhand and he was so solid on his backhand volley.

forzamilan90
07-02-2012, 12:44 AM
in the past consensus was Budge and Rosewall, but that's different racquets, no clue how to judge that against today's power hitters like Djokovic or Safin not too long ago for example

TeflonTom
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
By standards in op, bhs like djok r rubbish cause they hit crappy approaches. modern bhs v. v. good at a few things but not real good at some stuff.

if u are lookin at 'overall' in terms of doin everything, u really gotta pick someone with a 1hbh. 2hbhs can be great but they aint real versatile

pc1
07-02-2012, 03:57 AM
By standards in op, bhs like djok r rubbish cause they hit crappy approaches. modern bhs v. v. good at a few things but not real good at some stuff.

if u are lookin at 'overall' in terms of doin everything, u really gotta pick someone with a 1hbh. 2hbhs can be great but they aint real versatile

Lots of versatile two handers I believe. I think Connors, Borg, Murray, Wilander, Mecir are just a few. I like Djokovic's also.

Chris Evert among the women had a really versatile backhand.

TeflonTom
07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
sure, but compared to a good 1h, u can't get nearly the same amt of topspin, slice, angle, etc.

1hbh by definition more versatile, coz u got greater variety of/more extreme swing paths etc.

kiki
07-02-2012, 04:23 AM
[QUOTE=DolgoSantoro;6682200]Who do you think has the best one? Let me explain what I mean though. By this I mean the sum of all that they can do on their backhand side including a drive, slices, passing shots, returns and volleys. For example Djokovic and Agassi have two of the best backhand drives of all time however the don't have similarly good slices. They could still win on the strength of their returns and drives though. So in light of this where do you weigh in?

I might go with Edberg[/QU
Laver has the most complete and versatile.able to Great topspun or slicedapproach,terrific returns&passings,the best placed slice and could make winners from the crazyiest position,including rallies

jean pierre
07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
http://www.bobpix.com/photography/tennis-source-archive/©-bob-straus-all-rights-reserved-12

kiki
07-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Lets put it that way: nobody has won more straight points out of his backhand than Rocket

analysis_king
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Lets put it that way: nobody has won more straight points out of his backhand than Rocket
bless his soul, but Rocket used to play a butler or a teacher in his 4th round Wimbledon match.

Praetorian
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Nadal of course, his bh volleys are all the proof needed

AHAHAHAHHA... oh wait you're serious...

Praetorian
07-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Have to go with Edberg. It was a shot he could do literally anything with.

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Budge, Connors, Edberg, Murray, Agassi

Wuppy
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Stan Rottheimer, an amateur German player in the early 1900s. Hear he had the sweetest backhand ever.

ductrung3993
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Donald Young.

ZeroSkid
07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Nalbandian, Djokovic, and Andy Murray

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
bless his soul, but Rocket used to play a butler or a teacher in his 4th round Wimbledon match.

...and a Newcombe,Emerson ,Ashe or Roche in the final(s) days¡¡¡¡

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Have to go with Edberg. It was a shot he could do literally anything with.

Possibly, the third best BH approach after Laver´s and Rosewall´s.Difference: Laver and Rosewall dominated from the backcourt a little more...

pc1
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Possibly, the third best BH approach after Laver´s and Rosewall´s.Difference: Laver and Rosewall dominated from the backcourt a little more...

Connors had a great backhand approach too which set him up for a lot of easily volleys but yes, Edberg did have a fabulous backhand approach shot.

kiki
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Connors had a great backhand approach too which set him up for a lot of easily volleys but yes, Edberg did have a fabulous backhand approach shot.

Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.Laver was more uncompromising, but he was so fast that you never knew if he first approached or volleyed....

pc1
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.

Yes he did and it was generally extremely deep approaches too.

bullslayer
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
john isner

Geology_Rocks!
07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I know it ain't Murray.

norbac
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Lukas Rosol.....or is it Lukaszsz Kubot?

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Hmm... Ever blah... By Era is a better choice
For me it is Borg, Connors, Agassi, Fed, Gasquet (thing of beauty), Haas, Almagro (growing on me) and for the ladies Justine Henin (beautiful to watch)

Notable mention is the Joker! He is growing on me since his maturation. Djokovic lookin like Agassi 2.0 on return game.

BigGriff
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I know it ain't Murray.

^5 on that comment. Comments like all-time and ever and you see Murray :confused:

TMF
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Rosewall had that lethal sliced shot that gave him a lot of time to set up his great volleys.Laver was more uncompromising, but he was so fast that you never knew if he first approached or volleyed....

Did you and Limpin ever found any source that say Rosewall hitting 80+ mph slice backhands?

kiki
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Did you and Limpin ever found any source that say Rosewall hitting 80+ mph slice backhands?

Yes.The best source.Eyes.

kiki
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Hingis has one of the greatest backhands, too.

Larrysümmers
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
^that thing is a thing of mastery and beauty, i tell ya what

pc1
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM

To be honest how many times could you find groundies measured for speed in those days. The answer is almost never. There was a tournament in which forehand speeds were measure and Gonzalez had the highest speed with the old wood racquets at 112.88 miles per hour with Kramer at 107 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forehand

The sad thing about all of this is that this 80 miles per hour backhand was mentioned by one poster (forgot who) and it's been repeated constantly often to mock the Rosewall backhand. That's a shame since it was one of the great shots in tennis history. Eighty miles an hour to be frank is really not that fast. I believe that Rosewall has at times hit service returns faster than 80 mph. Remember the man hit a very flat backhand with slight underspin. If you asked me if I have seen Rosewall hit a backhand faster than 80 mph I would say yes. Do I think he did it on a very regular basis? Probably not.

The thing is that Rosewall's backhand was incredibly consistent. It was a heavy shot that was hit very low over the net which cut down on the time for the opponent to return it. He could lob, chip, hit great passing shots.

Here's a video from Krosero of Rosewall against Roche. Now I know it's a highlight video but you can see the exquisite form of Rosewall's backhand and what he could do with it. Why should a guy have to hit a backhand 80 mph if you can have a backhand like that? It's a great shot even if he doesn't hit it 80 mph. So before anyone writes he didn't hit it 80 mph just ask yourself wouldn't you like to have a backhand like Rosewall's? I wish I had a backhand like that but there is only one Rosewall backhand. That's why many think Rosewall's backhand was the greatest in the history of tennis.

Notice how versatile his backhand is and how accurate it is. Incidentally check out how great Rosewall's (and Roche's) volley is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJubuKDN7Fk

ZeroSkid
07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
People are serious idiots, Murray does have one of the best backhands ever, people are not saying he is one of the best players ever just his backhand

Nadalfan89
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Richard Gasquet has the best backhand of all time

fed_rulz
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
To be honest how many times could you find groundies measured for speed in those days. The answer is almost never. There was a tournament in which forehand speeds were measure and Gonzalez had the highest speed with the old wood racquets at 112.88 miles per hour with Kramer at 107 mph.

The sad thing about all of this is that this 80 miles per hour backhand was mentioned by one poster (forgot who) and it's been repeated constantly often to mock the Rosewall backhand. That's a shame since it was one of the great shots in tennis history. Eighty miles an hour to be frank is really not that fast. I believe that Rosewall has at times hit service returns faster than 80 mph. Remember the man hit a very flat backhand with slight underspin. If you asked me if I have seen Rosewall hit a backhand faster than 80 mph I would say yes. Do I think he did it on a very regular basis? Probably not.

The thing is that Rosewall's backhand was incredibly consistent. It was a heavy shot that was hit very low over the net which cut down on the time for the opponent to return it. He could lob, chip, hit great passing shots.

Here's a video from Krosero of Rosewall against Roche. Now I know it's a highlight video but you can see the exquisite form of Rosewall's backhand and what he could do with it. Why should a guy have to hit a backhand 80 mph if you can have a backhand like that? It's a great shot even if he doesn't hit it 80 mph. So before anyone writes he didn't hit it 80 mph just ask yourself wouldn't you like to have a backhand like Rosewall's? I wish I had a backhand like that but there is only one Rosewall backhand. That's why many think Rosewall's backhand was the greatest in the history of tennis.

Notice how versatile his backhand is and how accurate it is. Incidentally check out how great Rosewall's (and Roche's) volley is.

1. limpin and Datacipher insisted that Rosewall hit 80mph slice BHs, of late backed by the country clown kiki

2. no one is contesting that Rosewall had an all-time great BH; only the absurdity of being able to hit slice BHs with that velocity.

pc1
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
1. limpin and Datacipher insisted that Rosewall hit 80mph slice BHs, of late backed by the country clown kiki

2. no one is contesting that Rosewall had an all-time great BH; only the absurdity of being able to hit slice BHs with that velocity.

I understand.

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

It certainly was a much better Bh than delusional Fedrulz´s worshipped hero...

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

That is a very honest and clarifying post, PC1

90's Clay
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Nalbandian, Agassi or Kafelnikov

kiki
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes he did and it was generally extremely deep approaches too.

The great thing about Rosewall´s sliced BH approach was, it floated and floated and seemed to give his opponent enough time to settle up for the passing shot.But the truth is that it landed very low, very angled, very deep and far from a serious try from his opponent.Also, Rosewall´s volleys seems to me a bit underrated.technically, they were possibly even better than Laver and at the same level as Roche.

joeri888
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Yes.The best source.Eyes.

Your eyes have a speed gun? Cool.

BauerAlmeida
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
1-Safin
2-Nalbandian
3-Agassi
4-Djokovic

BorisBeckerFan
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Guga and Marat are my personal backhand faves.

ibbi
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

I don't know about backhand to backhand exchanges, but his forehand is pretty inconsistent, and liable to break down when put under pressure. I think Agassi at the US Open in 2005 is the first example that comes immediately to mind of a guy who was basically able to compete in that match for as long as he did by utilizing this tactic of targeting the Federer backhand.

It might not be BAD, he can certainly do just about everything with it, but I don't think it is underrating it by not including it amongst the very best of all time.

Service Ace
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Andy Roddick

Sanavan
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
1- Guga Kuerten
2- Marat Safin

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
1-Safin
2-Nalbandian
3-Agassi
4-Djokovic

all of whom are great examples of consistent, clean, hard hitting backhands. of that list i'd pick agassi. his is the most reliable at being a winner machine. certainly the best backhand of his generation. edberg had a great backhand as well with more versatility than agassi. although i still give the edge to agassi.

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I don't know about backhand to backhand exchanges, but his forehand is pretty inconsistent, and liable to break down when put under pressure. I think Agassi at the US Open in 2005 is the first example that comes immediately to mind of a guy who was basically able to compete in that match for as long as he did by utilizing this tactic of targeting the Federer backhand.

It might not be BAD, he can certainly do just about everything with it, but I don't think it is underrating it by not including it amongst the very best of all time.

i agree. its a great backhand and is indeed very versatile compared to almost everyone in the tour. but it isn't in contention as one of the greatest. there are parts of the season where his bh just clicks, at times even sublime. but there are stretches of time when it looks very average, prone to cringe worthy unforced errors.

although it did not break down today against djokovic from the back court.

fps
07-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Federer makes errors on the backhand side because his strategy is to stand on the baseline on that side and never retreat, it's very brave taking a one-hander on the rise on the baseline, and it would be lunacy for any other player without his skill. Gasquet Youzhny Almagro etc do not do this, they concede court position to hit their backhands in the best hitting position. His backhand is immense, it's the position that suits his game as a whole best that he hits it from that causes him problems sometimes. Still, it takes time away from his opponent and keeps him in a better position to hit every backhand from this close to the baseline. He could back off a coupla feet and hit far prettier looking backhands but it wouldn't win him as many matches.

Best backhand ever is tough. I think by the end of his career Murray will be in the conversation, because when he unleashes on that side, woah there are few better. This year he has been hitting through that shot a lot more, probably in large part due to Lendl, and I think this will prove devastating in the US hard court season. His slice backhand is the only one as good as, if not better than, Federer's. He has tremendous variety on that side, which elevates him too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Safin and Nalbandian's backhands, but the slice, of the former especially, was not a big part of their games.

paulorenzo
07-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Federer makes errors on the backhand side because his strategy is to stand on the baseline on that side and never retreat, it's very brave taking a one-hander on the rise on the baseline, and it would be lunacy for any other player without his skill. Gasquet Youzhny Almagro etc do not do this, they concede court position to hit their backhands in the best hitting position. His backhand is immense, it's the position that suits his game as a whole best that he hits it from that causes him problems sometimes. Still, it takes time away from his opponent and keeps him in a better position to hit every backhand from this close to the baseline. He could back off a coupla feet and hit far prettier looking backhands but it wouldn't win him as many matches.

Best backhand ever is tough. I think by the end of his career Murray will be in the conversation, because when he unleashes on that side, woah there are few better. This year he has been hitting through that shot a lot more, probably in large part due to Lendl, and I think this will prove devastating in the US hard court season. His slice backhand is the only one as good as, if not better than, Federer's. He has tremendous variety on that side, which elevates him too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Safin and Nalbandian's backhands, but the slice, of the former especially, was not a big part of their games.

good point. as far as effectiveness of one handers currently on tour i'd say overall he'd be on top, right now especially. he's become more aggressive with it during rallies and returns. it really does complement his style of play. i cant think of a one handed backhand that's as complete on tour.

to throw a wrench into things. if federer's forehand is replaced with his backhand, in a sense that he hits off both wings with the same ability and versatility etc as his backhand, and is placed in a rally against a healthy wawrinka with the same circumstance of having two backhands, one could argue wawrinka would win. or at least be a lot more likely to win the rally than usual. court position can only do so much when you haven't something to capitalize on it with (to the same extent that federer's forehand can)

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 02:58 AM
At the US Open 2010, Nadal had a very powerful backhand. Nadal's backhands can be extremely consistent too.

fps
07-07-2012, 03:43 AM
to throw a wrench into things. if federer's forehand is replaced with his backhand, in a sense that he hits off both wings with the same ability and versatility etc as his backhand, and is placed in a rally against a healthy wawrinka with the same circumstance of having two backhands, one could argue wawrinka would win. or at least be a lot more likely to win the rally than usual. court position can only do so much when you haven't something to capitalize on it with (to the same extent that federer's forehand can)

Interesting, hadn't thought of it like that, you're right the backhand complements Fed's game well but as a weapon Waw's would probably win out!

tank_job
07-07-2012, 03:44 AM
At the US Open 2010, Nadal had a very powerful backhand. Nadal's backhands can be extremely consistent too.

I wonder if you ever make a post not about Nadal.

6-1 6-3 6-0
07-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I wonder if you ever make a post not about Nadal.

Why wonder when you can see for yourself? :???: Not all my posts are about Nadal. :neutral:

Sanavan
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

You gotta be kidding!

The whole year of 2011 Djokovic won match after match hitting balls on Nadal's backhand.
You can't pick one random championship and say that Nadal's backhand is consistent...

I am a big Nadal fan, but his backhand is far from being a good example.

paulorenzo
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM
treated to some great backhand to backhand rallies today with federer and murray, and federer actually came out on top of those rallies. today was one of the days when one can argue that its one of the best backhands on tour.

Wilander Fan
07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Federer's slice BH won the match against Murray. Murray could do nothing with it except hit a rally ball back cross court and it forced a few errors at well. It also completely neutralized Murray's own BH so he was unable to use his best stroke to set up winners. On clay and especially the slow gritty HC, that slice sits up and becomes a target. On slick HC and grass, it skids and spins away.

MarksAlot
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Djokovic ... after he added a pound of lead tape on his racquet.

BeHappy
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Safin and Edberg.

bboy_beez
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
that's easy, i'd say Bill Clinton....

but really, id have to give it to federer. his slice and topspin bh are not very predicatble. plus those drop shots are killer

sonicare
07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
murray doesn't go dtl enough to be considered an all time great shot

Limpinhitter
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
2hb - Andre Agassi
1hb - Rod Laver

Federer20042006
07-20-2012, 01:42 AM

Agassi made as many backhand errors as Federer in that match. It was a sloppy performance by both guys, until Federer hit God mode in the 4th set.

Federer struggled with it for a while against Hewitt in the SF of that USO, too. Then it caught fire in the tiebreak.

Anyway, the last time Federer really lost the backhand battle was Ungur at the French. Strange thing in that one. Even the Djokovic match at the FO, I thought it was pretty even in BH vs. BH. Federer's forehand lost him that match.

DTL
07-20-2012, 01:53 AM
fed has a nice bh but never his main weapon. could produce nice shots on it but fh much more consistent. couldnt win tourneys on bh alone

contrast with edberg - guy was totally dependent on bh when not at net. fh was useless. yet still got to fo final, won multiple clay titles incl hamburg, plus all his gs titles n other achievements.

topspin, slice, flat, approach, cc, dtl, i/o - the dude could do everythin with it. why? cos he had to do everythin with it. connors, lendl, sampras, becker, agassi, courier, mac, wilander n anyone else decent on tour all eat his fh for breakfast. is rare someone with fh as crap as edberg even win a gs title, let alone 6 n become one of alltiime greats. why? big part coz of amazing bh.

/thread

But then, Edberg was hardly not at net :) That said, he had a great backhand. Not sure how effective it would be today.

Becker, otoh, had a *superb* high backhand. I can totally see him crushing winners off Nadal's loopy forehands.

underground
07-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Best slice for Fed.
Best CC for Fed. (See IW against Rafa)
Best passing shot for Murray + Rafa.
Best DTL for Djoker.

Flash O'Groove
07-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Interesting, hadn't thought of it like that, you're right the backhand complements Fed's game well but as a weapon Waw's would probably win out!

Yes it was a very interesting post from paulolorenzo. Federer's game is so efficient because everything he does take place in a game strategy. And if it is cleat that he has a very strong backhand, it remains that he use it to set up forehand winner.

CocaCola
07-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Someone who can't attack constantly with enough pace on his BH, cannot be considered an all-time great. That goes for Murray.

Someone offer me to chose who's BH do I want, I'd probably say Djokovic's because it's most useful in general, despite the lack of a great slice.