PDA

View Full Version : The British/Murray Dilemma

rayoflight110
07-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Are there any other Brits on this board that feel torn by the whole Murray winning a grand slam thing.

Sure it would be amazing to finally have after all these decades a British Male Winner of a Grand Slam, something not even our parents or for many of us; our grand parents even saw, however I just don't want it to be the grotesque Andy Murray.

I was also never a fan of Tim Henman, the frothing at the mouth commentary whenever he played at Wimbledon just put me off him.

Same with Murray, who some media commentators hype as a popular British athlete, when infact he very probably the least popular of all the leading British sportstars, and that is NO joke. I have struggled to come across anyone who likes him. Even my very patriot Scottish father isn't a fan.

Alchemy-Z
07-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Well he can't control the media...I think he would prefer not to be over hyped either and instead just be a dark horse that sneaks in to win it without the pressure.

Frying Pan Forehand
07-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Watch batz storming in after he finishes cleaning the batrooms from the navy base.

roysid
07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Well..for a brit...better he wins for another non-brit to win

The Bawss
07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Why is that so?

Every year when Wimbledon rolls around the courts instantly fill up with hacks and pensioners. It would only be worse if Murray won.

Homeboy Hotel
07-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Can someone explain how he gets over hyped exactly?

In light of the British press and the culture of expectancy over here, just take this into consideration...

- 4th seed so he's expected to get to the semifinals
- now he's the highest seed in his draw he should be able to get to the finals
- he's got to the finals before 3 times, so knows how to win a SF match
- Now he's got this Lendl parternership bla bla bla so might be able to win
- Heavily biased British crowd help Murray on home turf

...Seems reasonable to look ahead, no?

War, Safin!
07-02-2012, 04:19 AM
Are there any other Brits on this board that feel torn by the whole Murray winning a grand slam thing.

Sure it would be amazing to finally have after all these decades a British Male Winner of a Grand Slam, something not even our parents or for many of us; our grand parents even saw, however I just don't want it to be the grotesque Andy Murray.

I was also never a fan of Tim Henman, the frothing at the mouth commentary whenever he played at Wimbledon just put me off him.

Same with Murray, who some media commentators hype as a popular British athlete, when infact he very probably the least popular of all the leading British sportstars, and that is NO joke. I have struggled to come across anyone who likes him. Even my very patriot Scottish father isn't a fan.I want to see him win a Major in like, 5 years because by that time everyone will have totally lost interest anyway.
Oh yes, and it'll be great if his opponent is someone like Ferrer or Tipsarevic.

His major will be as unmemorable as Lleyton Hewitt's 2002 Wimbledon win...

The Bawss
07-02-2012, 04:33 AM
I want to see him win a Major in like, 5 years because by that time everyone will have totally lost interest anyway.
Oh yes, and it'll be great if his opponent is someone like Ferrer or Tipsarevic.

His major will be as unmemorable as Lleyton Hewitt's 2002 Wimbledon win...

If Murray does have to win a slam, I would like it to be a crappy one like the AO, not the prestigious SW19. Then it will be as unmemorable as Johansson's win.

Homeboy Hotel
07-02-2012, 05:11 AM
A crappy one like the AO.....lol ok, what an idiot.

Mainad
07-02-2012, 05:15 AM

Same with Murray, who some media commentators hype as a popular British athlete, when infact he very probably the least popular of all the leading British sportstars, and that is NO joke. I have struggled to come across anyone who likes him. Even my very patriot Scottish father isn't a fan.

For Pete's sake, how many more of these Murray-bashing threads do we have to put up with? Currently, he must be running Nadal a very close second and that's saying something!

Yes, I'm British and yes, I like Andy Murray. No, I'm not in love with him or anything and, yes, he has his faults and can be very frustrating to watch. But then so do 90% of all the other players out there!

Do you have to like him? No, of course not. Do you have to support him? No, of course not. But if you don't like him and don't want to support him, then please refrain from posting these stupid threads about him and ignore him altogether and stop trying to spoil the party for those of us on here, like me, who actually, surprise surprise, DO like him and support him! Why do I do that? Because if you knew anything about him and bothered to follow his career like I have, you would find that, for all his various foibles, he's actually rather a nice guy who is the most talented player to come out of the UK for decades, very probably all the way back to Fred Perry. The number and quality of the many titles he has won and his consistent high ranking are ample proof of that. He is by far the best chance Britain has to finally have a GS slam winner and if he manages to achieve that, I would be over the Moon and so would many other Brits on here and elsewhere!

Now I would kindly advise that you and your dad forget about that AWFUL Murray chap who seems to get on both your wicks so much and turn your attention to all the other British hopefuls currently struggling to win Wimbledon. Oh wait.....there aren't any are there? In that case, I respectfully suggest you go and watch Federer or Del Potro instead.

The Bawss
07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
For Pete's sake, how many more of these Murray-bashing threads do we have to put up with? Currently, he must be running Nadal a very close second and that's saying something!

Yes, I'm British and yes, I like Andy Murray. No, I'm not in love with him or anything and, yes, he has his faults and can be very frustrating to watch. But then so do 90% of all the other players out there!

Do you have to like him? No, of course not. Do you have to support him? No, of course not. But if you don't like him and don't want to support him, then please refrain from posting these stupid threads about him and ignore him altogether and stop trying to spoil the party for those of us on here, like me, who actually, surprise surprise, DO like him and support him! Why do I do that? Because if you knew anything about him and bothered to follow his career like I have, you would find that, for all his various foibles, he's actually rather a nice guy who is the most talented player to come out of the UK for decades, very probably all the way back to Fred Perry. The number and quality of the many titles he has won and his consistent high ranking are ample proof of that. He is by far the best chance Britain has to finally have a GS slam winner and if he manages to achieve that, I would be over the Moon and so would many other Brits on here and elsewhere!

Now I would kindly advise that you and your dad forget about that AWFUL Murray chap who seems to get on both your wicks so much and turn your attention to all the other British hopefuls currently struggling to win Wimbledon. Oh wait.....there aren't any are there? In that case, I respectfully suggest you go and watch Federer or Del Potro instead.

I know you have blocked me but whatever. You have GOT to stop whining like a child. Some people may have, wait for it....a different opinion than yours regarding Murray (crazy, I know). If you don't like it, just ignore it. You cannot and will not silence us. Also it's morally out of line to even suggest we keep our opinions to ourselves, this is a tennis discussion forum after all.

Rozroz
07-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Obviously, I totally agree. I would root for Idi Amin, Bin Laden, Ceausescu, Mugabe, Hitler and even Pol pot if it meant Murray wouldn't win a grandslam. Murray is overrated as a tennis player and a person.

Not to mention that if Murray won Wimbledon, our tennis courts would get filled with spoilt kids overnight.

get ready for a lethal fight VS Murraytards..
oops..too late.

MasturB
07-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Howcome when it comes to tennis, he's labeled at British, but during soccer England and Scotland have their own national teams?

British tennis that bad they have to pool them all together?

Homeboy Hotel
07-02-2012, 06:03 AM
I know you have blocked me but whatever. You have GOT to stop whining like a child. Some people may have, wait for it....a different opinion than yours regarding Murray (crazy, I know). If you don't like it, just ignore it. You cannot and will not silence us. Also it's morally out of line to even suggest we keep our opinions to ourselves, this is a tennis discussion forum after all.

There's a HUGE difference between a difference of opinion and pathetic anti-Murray B.S trolling like yours, Bawbag. One of many.

Fedex
07-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Watch batz storming in after he finishes cleaning the batrooms from the navy base.

Obviously, I totally agree. I would root for Idi Amin, Bin Laden, Ceausescu, Mugabe, Hitler and even Pol pot if it meant Murray wouldn't win a grandslam. Murray is overrated as a tennis player and a person.

Not to mention that if Murray won Wimbledon, our tennis courts would get filled with spoilt kids overnight.

Nuff said.

Murray2012
07-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Thanks - said it all for me!

batz
07-02-2012, 06:28 AM

He's in a with shout @ Wimby - they are shyting themselves in case he wins it. I can smell their fear from Edinburgh.

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 06:32 AM
so OP would like a British winner

But wouldn't because they all get hyped up which annoys him?

you sir are a fail.

Cormorant
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I am unsatisfied with the use of the word 'grotesque' in this thread; it's not necessarily a bad thing to be in sport if you like some personalities in the game. But I can think of few players worthy of the epithet -someone like Koellerer comes to mind though.

TheF1Bob
07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
EPIC THREAD IS EPIC. :lol:

Ash_Smith
07-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Murray is overrated as a tennis player and a person.

Know him do you? :)

Ash_Smith
07-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Howcome when it comes to tennis, he's labeled at British, but during soccer England and Scotland have their own national teams?

British tennis that bad they have to pool them all together?

It's all to do with the NGB's for each sport. For example, in Athletics there is one governing body, so athletes compete for GB. Same for Tennis. In Cricket the NGB is the England and Wales cricket board, so English and Welsh players compete for England, Scotland have their own cricket team. Football and Rugby - each home nation have their own association, RFU/WRU/SRU/IRU in Rugby for example.

That's why there's so many issues with there being a GB football team at the Olympics (not that football should be anywhere near the Olympics)

Wuppy
07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I think when the OP said "grotesque" he was talking about Murray's nose.

batz
07-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Teeth, surely?

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM

looking at your picture Olderer's nose would be more apt.

surely he meant Murray's face?

Hood_Man
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
He's in a with shout @ Wimby - they are shyting themselves in case he wins it. I can smell their fear from Edinburgh.

That must be a strong smell of fear to overcome the overpowering smell of fried bread and black pudding ;)

Destro
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
It's just the English that don't like him. The Scots, Welsh and N. Irish all get behind him. Probably because the English are a far more bitter and jealous race of people than the rest of the Brits. We would have no problem supporting an Englishmen to the hilt, like we did with Henman. But it's a huge problem for a fairly big majority of the English.

batz
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
That must be a strong smell of fear to overcome the overpowering smell of fried bread and black pudding ;)

Mmmmmmmm. Fried bread....

Mainad
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
It's just the English that don't like him. The Scots, Welsh and N. Irish all get behind him. Probably because the English are a far more bitter and jealous race of people than the rest of the Brits. We would have no problem supporting an Englishmen to the hilt, like we did with Henman. But it's a huge problem for a fairly big majority of the English.

I'm English and I would say that the vast majority of English tennis fans DO support him. But you are right that most of the vitriol and hate that he gets on here and elsewhere DOES come from English people too. Much of it originates with a jokey exchange between Henman and Murray a few years ago about the respective chances of their home football teams at the upcoming World Cup. Henman made fun of Scotland failing to qualify while Murray jokingly retorted that, in revenge for Henman's jibe, he would have to support anybody but England. It's was all light-hearted banter and not meant to be taken seriously. But while few Scottish fans have been lining up to take out a contract on Henman, you could hear the howls of outrage from a certain section of England fans from one end of the country to the other. Since then, Murray has been the devil incarnate for them and they don't let any opportunity pass to denigrate him and make all sorts of extraordinary personal attacks on him! Utterly childish and very sad. Maybe one day, they will mature and grow up. But I won't be counting any chickens. They make me ashamed to be English!

batz
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm English and I would say that the vast majority of English tennis fans DO support him. But you are right that most of the vitriol and hate that he gets on here and elsewhere DOES come from English people too. Much of it originates with a jokey exchange between Henman and Murray a few years ago about the respective chances of their home football teams at the upcoming World Cup. Henman made fun of Scotland failing to qualify while Murray jokingly retorted that, in revenge for Henman's jibe, he would have to support anybody but England. It's was all light-hearted banter and not meant to be taken seriously. But while few Scottish fans have been lining up to take out a contract on Henman, you could hear the howls of outrage from a certain section of England fans from one end of the country to the other. Since then, Murray has been the devil incarnate for them and they don't let any opportunity pass to denigrate him and make all sorts of extraordinary personal attacks on him! Utterly childish and very sad. Maybe one day, they will mature and grow up. But I won't be counting any chickens. They make me ashamed to be English!

Please don't be - you're not responsible for the behaviour of a minority of your countrymen.

Hood_Man
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
But while few Scottish fans have been lining up to take out a contract on Henman, you could hear the howls of outrage from a certain section of England fans from one end of the country to the other. Since then, Murray has been the devil incarnate for them and they don't let any opportunity pass to denigrate him and make all sorts of extraordinary personal attacks on him! Utterly childish and very sad. Maybe one day, they will mature and grow up. But I won't be counting any chickens. They make me ashamed to be English!

People like that remind me of conspiracy theorists. Rather than looking at the evidence and then forming an opinion, they form an opinion first and then look for reasons to justify it. Anything that supports their opinion becomes firm, hard evidence, and anything that refutes it simply becomes part of the conspiracy.

Your example of Murray's "anyone but England" jibe is spot on, it's almost always given as the main reason by people I know who hate Murray ("He hates the English!"), but when I point out the whole story their opinion remains the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ash_lee392/wtf_dumbledore.gif

OTMPut
07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
People like that remind me of conspiracy theorists. Rather than looking at the evidence and then forming an opinion, they form an opinion first and then look for reasons to justify it. Anything that supports their opinion becomes firm, hard evidence, and anything that refutes it simply becomes part of the conspiracy.

That holds true for any theorist actually, official or not.
Hypothesis (opinion) first and evidence hunting later.

Not too bad in itself as you need sort of a map to know where and what to look for. Otherwise it will be impossible to do science in the real world (and to some extent even in the constructed world of mathematics).

jaggy
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Isnt black pudding a dish from northern england?

Zildite
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Not too bad in itself as you need sort of a map to know where and what to look for. Otherwise it will be impossible to do science in the real world (and to some extent even in the constructed world of mathematics).

It might be better to replace opinion with conclusion in the case of conspiracy theorists.

I'd just like to see what would happen if he did win Wimbledon, maybe spontaneously combust and create a rainbow visible over centre court for the rest of time :confused:

Hood_Man
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Well my point is really about continuing to believe something in the absence of facts or has been proven otherwise, people of course need an opinion beforehand or else they wouldn't think to investigate it.

And Zildite, I don't think the Matrix could cope with the hundreds of thousands or millions of people all waking up at once as they no longer accept the computer programmed world around them, if Murray were to win Wimbledon.