PDA

View Full Version : Middle Sunday Off - Wimbledon crazy

roysid
07-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Seriously, how can a Grandslam be closed on sundays.

- Imagine the revenues they are losing both for ticket and TV.

- If it rains on Monday, schedule is screwed up. Men may have to play back to back matches

joeri888
07-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Why does everyone want every tournament to be the same. Let the schedule be screwed if it hs to. I like the changes. Even tho I miss the fact that i can't watch tennis on sundy

rayoflight110
07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Seriously, how can a Grandslam be closed on sundays.

- Imagine the revenues they are losing both for ticket and TV.

- If it rains on Monday, schedule is screwed up. Men may have to play back to back matches

I can confirm it is p1ssing with rain here in London and will likely be tomorrow too, even wednesday has rain forecast. Thursday is good though. It is just pathetic that these All England clowns can't comprehend that times change and things have to change with it.

roysid
07-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I can confirm it is p1ssing with rain here in London and will likely be tomorrow too, even wednesday has rain forecast. Thursday is good though. It is just pathetic that these All England clowns can't comprehend that times change and things have to change with it.
See..It's already raining. But wimbledon is a bit far from london

SystemicAnomaly
07-02-2012, 03:55 AM
With all the rain in the 1st week and and potential rain in the 2nd week, it does seems absurd for them to skip the middle Sunday unless it is raining all day. If nothing else, they could run some of the doubles on Sunday. The 2nd round match with the Williams sisters vs Kirilenko/Petrova has not yet been completed.

Weather appears to be ok at the moment. Some 4th round singles matches are currently underway -- one men's and several women's matches.

ae695
07-02-2012, 04:21 AM
At least they could watch Spain thrash Italy...

kragster
07-02-2012, 04:49 AM
I agree OP, IMO its a stupid tradition. Firstly for viewers Sunday is a great day to relax and watch sports. Secondly it totally screws with the schedule if a day is lost. ESPECIALLY given how prone London is to rain.

I can't see any logical reason for the Sunday rule except "it's a glorious tradition" that some old people uphold simply because of an inherent resistance to change. "WHAT, tennis on Sunday, you must be a raving lunatic".

safc_number10
07-02-2012, 04:50 AM

:confused::confused::confused:

gavna
07-02-2012, 06:18 AM

I think you need to go look at a map......

It's a great tradition taking the Sunday off, it's part of the charm of the event and one of the things that make Wimbledon special. And they will play on th middle Sunday if need, in the past of the schedule gets backed up due to bad weather the first week matches get played. Has not happend very often but can occur if need.

dParis
07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
It is just pathetic that these All England clowns can't comprehend that times change and things have to change with it.

The only thing truly pathetic here is your absolute invective.

Some of you act almost as if The All England Tennis Club owes you tennis on the first Sunday of the event. Anyhow, when are they playing the men's final this year?

Torres
07-02-2012, 06:55 AM
wimbledon is a bit far from london

That's like saying that Manhattan is a bit far from New York.

Ash_Smith
07-02-2012, 06:55 AM
I think you need to go look at a map......

The All England Club is about 10 miles from the City of London (whether that constitutes 'a bit far' I don't know. Over here, it can be lashing down where you are and dry as a bone a mile away, we have very localised weather in these parts!

As for play on middle Sunday, it's a tradition that means everybody starts the R4 on the same day.

Cheers

Mustard
07-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Wimbledon is in South West London, mate, hence the SW19 postcode.

bluetrain4
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
They have on rare occasion played on the middle Sunday if the first week schedule was crazily disrupted by rain and they were far, far behind.

Yes, rain delays are frustrating, but I can't help think that peoples' near meltdowns when there is a rain delay and there is no roof (USO) or in this case where there is no play on Sunday is simply due to people's general growing impatience and not wanting to ever hear "no." It's almost childish in some instances I mean, a tennis rain delay really shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone. And, of course, the internet allows anonymous complaining about anything and everything, so something that might have gone unremarked upon previously, is now presented as a life-or-death situation. But, it is what it is.

ollinger
07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
^^ well put. There's a kind of juvenile rage here, "how dare they force me to find something else to do on a Sunday!! I might have to read a book!"

gavna
07-02-2012, 09:21 AM
^^ well put. There's a kind of juvenile rage here, "how dare they force me to find something else to do on a Sunday!! I might have to read a book!"

Or worse go OUTSIDE and hit a real tennis ball instead of whining what's not on TV?

Mustard
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
They have on rare occasion played on the middle Sunday if the first week schedule was crazily disrupted by rain and they were far, far behind.

I believe there's only been 3 years when Wimbledon has had matches on the middle Sunday, which were 1991, 1997 and 2004.

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Or worse go OUTSIDE and hit a real tennis ball instead of whining what's not on TV?

:) :razz:

true dat.

Tar Heel Tennis
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM

Lol...wut???

roysid
07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Now murray and other guys on bottom half have to play on consecutive days. Isn't that a disadvantage compared to guys who've already finished.

skip1969
07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
it is what it is.