PDA

View Full Version : Federer lost in the quarters at Wimbledon for the past two years....

TenTan
07-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Will it happen a third time?

Youzhny is looking good and troubled Federer in the 4th round last year. While Federer doesnt seem to be in very good form. Will an upset occur for the third consecutive year against the great man?

norbac
07-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I hope so!

TigerTim
07-02-2012, 08:35 AM
The same bloke that is 8-0 to ********? Lolno.

mistik
07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I think he will reach to the semis and will lose to the best player on the planet right now.

Carsomyr
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Not looking good for the six-time champion unless his back improves in the next two days.

dudeski
07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Depends if Fed's back is ok. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses. Last two matches were terrible.

okdude1992
07-02-2012, 09:17 AM
fed with broken back will still beat his pigeon

joeri888
07-02-2012, 09:18 AM
The same bloke that is 8-0 to ********? Lolno.

And by 8-0 you mean 13-0?

90's Clay
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Watching Fed's level and form these past two rounds and how Nole appears to be getting back to that 2011 level, I see NO WAY Fed beats Nole. Fed operating on life support can beat sucky Youzhny though

Mustard
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Even Davydenko and Soderling eventually beat Federer.

The Bawss
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
13 and 0. Federer could beat him with a slipped disc.

merlinpinpin
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Fed struggling through in four, imho. The "number 13" series is funny, I may start a thread about this if I find the time (and, no, I'm not talking about his H2H against Youzhny ;)).

And the "logical" conclusion would be an epic, 5-set win over Djokovic in the semis, but series are meant to be broken, so we'll see.

TMF
07-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Youzhny is looking good and troubled Federer in the 4th round last year. While Federer doesnt seem to be in very good form. Will an upset occur for the third consecutive year against the great man?

I wouldn't call it an upset since Fed's lower back is killing him. But beating a healthy Fed, sure, that would be an upset.

tudwell
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I can't see Youzhny beating him at Wimbledon. He doesn't have the serve or power of Tsonga or Berdych. And Federer has two days to recover and rest his back with the help of the finest physical trainers and therapists that money can buy.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Fed struggling through in four, imho. The "number 13" series is funny, I may start a thread about this if I find the time (and, no, I'm not talking about his H2H against Youzhny ;)).

And the "logical" conclusion would be an epic, 5-set win over Djokovic in the semis, but series are meant to be broken, so we'll see.

Sorry, that's only logical in your dream.

Cesc Fabregas
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Federer would beat youzhny blindfolded.

okdude1992
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
djoko/fed semi is destined to happen. draw worked out super easy for both.

i see another straight set djoko win there unless fed ups his level and the back isn't an issue

TJfederer16
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
It could be a tough one for Roger especially if the back is still not good, but i don't think Youzhny has the mentality to beat Roger at Wimbledon over 5 sets, but i suppose Rosol beat Nadal so anything can happen, Youzhny is going to have to serve extremely well throughout if he's going to have a chance of winning though. Im saying Roger is 4 like last year

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes he will lose again in the QF. This is where he belongs.

The Bawss
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Yes he will lose again in the QF. This is where he belongs.

Gasquet is going to turn the Mayer match around and destroy Novak in 4. Thank me later for the heads up.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
No chance in hell Federer loses this one. A player from his own era who is even further past his prime, and was always his pigeon. Federer needs to destroy Youzhny to show he has any chance vs an increasingly in form Djokovic in the semis. If he struggles at all (even some tiebreak or 5 all sets) we can safely conclude he has no chance vs Djokovic, but if he crushes Youzhny the semifinal could be a competitive one.

President
07-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Even Davydenko and Soderling eventually beat Federer.

and they are both much better players than Youzhny...

TheTruth
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
No way. Youzny doesn't have the belief, or the talent.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
No chance in hell Federer loses this one. A player from his own era who is even further past his prime, and was always his pigeon. Federer needs to destroy Youzhny to show he has any chance vs an increasingly in form Djokovic in the semis. If he struggles at all (even some tiebreak or 5 all sets) we can safely conclude he has no chance vs Djokovic, but if he crushes Youzhny the semifinal could be a competitive one.

We already can, just that some *******s won't give up dreaming.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Youzhny would not defeat a blindfolded Federer in a wheelchair. He has never defeated Federer and even with Fed's back issue, I can't see how he would defeat Federer now. If Youzhny defeats Federer here, it will be a bigger shock than Rosol defeating Nadal.

kishnabe
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I expect Youhzny to bend over like in the 2010 US Open semifinals!

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Youzhny would not defeat a blindfolded Federer in a wheelchair. He has never defeated Federer and even with Fed's back issue, I can't see how he would defeat Federer now. If Youzhny defeats Federer here, it will be a bigger shock than Rosol defeating Nadal.

Maybe because you are too blind to see it? He has a back injury (or he pretends), and almost lost to some unknown for the last two matches. Fed is more vulnerable than ever. It's so apparent that you know nothing about tennis, and please stop calling yourself a tennis fan.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Maybe because you are too blind to see it? He has a back injury (or he pretends), and almost lost to some unknown for the last two matches. Fed is more vulnerable than ever. It's so apparent that you know nothing about tennis, and please stop calling yourself a tennis fan.

Unless Federer is injured to the point where he is unable to take to the court, I can't see how Youzhny would defeat him. I have more tennis knowledge in my pinky than you do overall, that I can tell you. Sure, there can be an upset in any tennis match, but, in this case, it is unlikely.

Bobby Jr
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
The good thing is, Federer has defended all of his points now no matter what. A win over Youzhny means he'll close the gap by another 360 points to Djokovic regardless of what happens thereafter.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
and they are both much better players than Youzhny...

Exactly, pretty dumb to imply Youzhny is at the same level of players who have won Masters, won a WTF or made multiple slam finals, been ranked top 5. They never did it and probably never will now but Soderling and Davydenko you could have considered possibly winning a slam at one point, Youzhny no way on this planet was that ever happening. Anyway Soderling has the age advantage over Federer being alot younger, Youzhny is another old dog in his twilight years with just nowhere near the talent.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM

More vurnerable than ever? Federer is playing better overall tennis this year than he did either in 2010 or 2011. His tennis at his years Wimbledon is twice as good as 2010, and I say that even after his 5 setter with Benneteau, the way Benneteau was playing that match he would have beaten the 2010 Wimbledon Federer in about 90 minutes. Also anyone familiar with me will tell you that I am far from a Federer fan.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Why my post gets deleted? Are you a mod cc0509? Are you incapable of winning an argument by not deleting other posts?

sixone90
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Youzhny will break another racquet on his head

FedererDropShot
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
We already can, just that some *******s won't give up dreaming.

Well, after Rosol def. Nadal.. I think just about anything can happen m8...

I mean after that 4th set, people were probably like 'Rosol has no chance, Nadal has momentum now'.

'Keeping dreaming Rosol'

And wut happened?

Nostradamus
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Roger owns Youzny so will not happen. but in the semis, with novak, it will be interesting for sure. If Roger gets blown off the court, then he may seriously consider retiring after this year.
but if somehow, roger finds a way to beat novak, then well, he may win wimbledon this year.

Cross-court
07-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Federer needs to destroy Youzhny to show he has any chance vs an increasingly in form Djokovic in the semis. If he struggles at all (even some tiebreak or 5 all sets) we can safely conclude he has no chance vs Djokovic, but if he crushes Youzhny the semifinal could be a competitive one.

So according to this "logic", Rosol would've at least made it to the final, Soderling would've destroyed Federer in RG '09 (since he destroyed Nadal, Federer's daddy on clay), and if 1 beats 2 and 2 beats 3 then 1 would beat 3. Yeah, sure.

Towser83
07-02-2012, 08:50 PM

If you think he's losing to Youzhny you know nothing about tennis. And if Bennateau and Malise are "unknowns" that goes to show your depth of knowledge as well :lol: Also he didn't almost lose the last 2 matches, the one against Malise was not almost a loss. Might as wellsay Djokovic almost lost to old man Stepenek. What about Djokovic almost losing to bloody seppi? Still made the final (after almost losing to clay mug,Tsonga)

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Federer has no chance at even winning a set from Djoko, so if Federer wants to avoid humiliation he'll find a way to lose the QF (he will have to lose because of the back injury, because he would never lose this QF based on talent).

Sentinel
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
You are losing credibility there, my friend. No doubt Fred has had a lingering back issue, however, he usually never speaks of it and doesn't take MTO's. (It's over 2 years since I recall him taking an MTO for the back.)
This time he has taken an MTO, so it's quite serious, despite his downplaying it.

Last 2 times he got out in the quarters Fred was in very good form, and was outplayed by Tsonga / Berdych. This time is different.

It's probably better not to strain the back and keep himself for the OG where he could manage a lesser medal. After all he is in the top 3, so a bronze medal should be a reasonable prediction.

The_Order
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Is this even a serious question? Fed will swipe the floor with this guy.

Djoker otoh will swipe the floor with Fed.

Feather
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
The good thing is, Federer has defended all of his points now no matter what. A win over Youzhny means he'll close the gap by another 360 points to Djokovic regardless of what happens thereafter.

I was also thinking about that. And also that 360 points increase the gap between him and Rafa. I want him to be at least number two, if not number one, till US open so that he won't have to go through another SF with the number one player in the planet. Enough of those Semi Finals

VPhuc tennis fan
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
You are losing credibility there, my friend. No doubt Fred has had a lingering back issue, however, he usually never speaks of it and doesn't take MTO's. (It's over 2 years since I recall him taking an MTO for the back.)
This time he has taken an MTO, so it's quite serious, despite his downplaying it.

Last 2 times he got out in the quarters Fred was in very good form, and was outplayed by Tsonga / Berdych. This time is different.

It's probably better not to strain the back and keep himself for the OG where he could manage a lesser medal. After all he is in the top 3, so a bronze medal should be a reasonable prediction.
A back injury is always a concern. Fed serve % dropped quite a bit in his match against Malisse, didn't it? Against a good/excellent returner, he'll be killed. I certainly don't want to see a repeat of FO 2012 vs Djoker. Terrible to see that in spite of many chances he had, he couldn't hold on the lead, partly because his serve left him too exposed to Djoker's returns.

Feather
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
A back injury is always a concern. Fed serve % dropped quite a bit in his match against Malisse, didn't it? Against a good/excellent returner, he'll be killed. I certainly don't want to see a repeat of FO 2012 vs Djoker. Terrible to see that in spite of many chances he had, he couldn't hold on the lead, partly because his serve left him too exposed to Djoker's returns.

It was like a nightmare. Roger double break up and still losing the set.

tenniselbow1
07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Is this thread some type of joke? Lol. Not happening in Youzny's lifetime. Only a few people on the planet have the game to beat Fed on grass, their all in the top ten. Fed will look to make quick work of Youzny, to gain some confidence going into the semi. I'm expecting a classic Quarterfinal beat down.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Is this thread some type of joke? Lol. Not happening in Youzny's lifetime. Only a few people on the planet have the game to beat Fed on grass, their all in the top ten. Fed will look to make quick work of Youzny, to gain some confidence going into the semi. I'm expecting a classic Quarterfinal beat down.

Every ******* thought the same thing in the last two matches, and guess what, they can hardly be called beat downs. Eat some humble pie and keep your fingers crossed that your idol's back is ok.

sbengte
07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
A back injury is always a concern. Fed serve % dropped quite a bit in his match against Malisse, didn't it? Against a good/excellent returner, he'll be killed.

Agree. Don't know what to say to all these people who think Fed will stream roll Youzhny when we don't even know the status of his injury. (Don't believe anything he says in his post match interviews, he always downplays injuries). He could hardly serve or move or hit a decent FH for parts of the match against Malisse and Youzhny is definitely better than Malisse.
The problem no one takes Fed's injury or MTO seriously is because certain other players have a track record of playing on a "broken foot" or "cracked knee" that need momentum disrupting MTOs, still going on grind fests winning against the top players . So this is what tennis fans in general have come to expect of all "injured players". They are always a lock for winning any match or the title for that matter.

ctoth666
07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Federer hasn't booked his place in the semifinal yet and stands a decent chance of losing in the quarterfinal for a third consecutive year. He looks and is rather vulnerable on the grass right now. Now I might be wrong and he may very well breeze past the Russian but I get the feeling he won't...and if he does indeed make it into the semifinal I don't like his chances AT ALL against Djokovic on this green clay. Federer is my player of choice, and I have almost no confidence. I think it's finally dawning on me that he isn't threatening to win another major because he simply can't beat Djokovic or Nadal anymore in best of 5.

Also, I've only been following pro tennis since 2003 or thereabouts but is this trend of absolute dominance among the top players normal to tennis? I mean, the top three guys are the favorite on every surface. The way Djokovic plays should't allow him to dominate on grass should it? Twenty years ago would he even be a factor at Wimbledon?

cc0509
07-02-2012, 11:13 PM

He took an MTO and then came back to win the match didn't he, or was I just dreaming that Federer won the match against Malisse? ;)

I assume if Federer takes the court to play Youzhny he feels his back issue is not serious enough to NOT play at Wimbledon. If it was that serious he wouldn't play and further jeopardize the Olympics and USO.
Youzhny is not Tsonga or Berdych, not even close. If Federer loses this match against Youzhny slight back issue or not, he should get out of the stadium and never come back, that is how confident I am that if he takes the court he feels he is fit enough to beat Youzhny. Djokovic is a whole other kettle of fish though.

Re the Olympics, what good is a bronze medal? I have a feeling that is not Federer's goal at this point in time. If he wins anything less than a gold in singles he would consider that a failure, no? Also, winning a slam, especially Wimbledon must be a bigger goal for Federer at this point than winning an OG. If he had to choose between doing better at Wimbledon or doing better at the Olympics, I think he would choose the former. JMO.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Youzhny is not Tsonga or Berdych, not even close. If Federer loses this match against Youzhny slight back issue or not, he should get out of the stadium and never come back, that is how confident I am that if he takes the court he feels he is fit enough to beat Youzhny. Djokovic is a whole other kettle of fish though.

Neither are Benn and Mal. And Fed still almost lost to both.

sbengte
07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Also, I've only been following pro tennis since 2003 or thereabouts but is this trend of absolute dominance among the top players normal to tennis? I mean, the top three guys are the favorite on every surface. The way Djokovic plays should't allow him to dominate on grass should it? Twenty years ago would he even be a factor at Wimbledon?

Two words : Surface homogenization.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM

I think Benneteau is a better player than Youzhny is even though they are neck and neck in the rankings. My point is Malisse and Youzhny are two players that Federer has owned his entire career so it is difficult to believe that he will lose to Youzhny if he is able to play in the first place on Wednesday. Sure, it can happen and he can lose, but, I would not think that would be the likely conclusion and if it is, I think Federer should not pass go and retire right away!

Why are you even arguing about this issue? Do you ever think Djokovic would lose to his pigeon Troicki for example when they play in a slam or would you be fairly confident that Djokovic would win? So, what is the difference if the player is Federer and his assorted pigeons?

RF20Lennon
07-02-2012, 11:35 PM

In what universe was he close to losing to malisse I agree he was tight but he was not really in a losing position

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I think Benneteau is a better player than Youzhny is even though they are neck and neck in the rankings. My point is Malisse and Youzhny are two players that Federer has owned his entire career so it is difficult to believe that he will lose to Youzhny if he is able to play in the first place on Wednesday. Sure, it can happen and he can lose, but, I would not think that would be the likely conclusion and if it is, I think Federer should not pass go and retire right away!

Why are you even arguing about this issue? Do you ever think Djokovic would lose to his pigeon Troicki for example when they play in a slam or would you be fairly confident that Djokovic would win? So, what is the difference if the player is Federer and his assorted pigeons?

If you know anything about tennis, you must have been informed Fed has a back injury and struggled playing both Benn and Mal in the last two matches in Wimbledon. And Djokovic does not have an injury and plays comfortably well against his so-called pigeons. That's the difference.

But judging from your posts, it does not seem like you know tennis more than any one else here. So don't flatter yourself and think others know nothing about tennis.

GodNovak
07-02-2012, 11:41 PM
In what universe was he close to losing to malisse I agree he was tight but he was not really in a losing position

Slightly different interpretation of "almost losing" perhaps? The central argument here is Fed won't straight set Youz as easily as *******s make it sound. Please focus on the real issue here instead of always nitpicking about the side issues.

RF20Lennon
07-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Slightly different interpretation of "almost losing" perhaps? The central argument here is Fed won't straight set Youz as easily as *******s make it sound. Please focus on the real issue here instead of always nitpicking about the side issues.

I never claimed it was going to be a straight setter and again you were wrong he didn't almost lose to malisse I'll nitpick side issues do you have a problem?

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Who is claiming Fred will steam-roll the Colonel ? Some Rafa fan, perhaps ?

We don't know how his injury is. It won't be easy if yesterday was anything to go by. The last 2 matches were quite concerning. Federer's movement against Malice was quite poor. He was often not even reaching for the ball.

iirc, Malice played a poor fourth set, just went away, whereas he was sharp in the first and third.

What I do know is that Nole will have it even easier now that Fred's service is a bit compromised. Nole will take this in 3, and the final in 4.

Feather
07-03-2012, 01:15 AM

What's the point in getting a bronze medal? I would rather him skip the Olympics and wait for the US open. We, Indians, don't get any medals in Olympics and so if there is someone who gotta chance to win, we would think that at least a bronze medal would make the country's name appear in the medal list. No disrepect meant, painful, but that's the truth. I know about the gold medal winner in last Olympics but this is the thought of majority of Indians concerning Olympics. I mean any medal other than gold is a failure for Roger Federer

joeri888
07-03-2012, 01:32 AM

I agree that Roger will have a hard time. But I don't agree with your prediction that Rog would lose before semis

GodNovak
07-03-2012, 01:38 AM
I agree that Roger will have a hard time. But I don't agree with your prediction that Rog would lose before semis

It's ok you don't agree:) Let's just see how they do tomorrow.

PrinceMoron
07-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Is this even a serious question? Fed will swipe the floor with this guy.

Djoker otoh will swipe the floor with Fed.

It's grass, you get mown down or turfed out.

AO u get wiped off the court

http://bp2.blogger.com/_vllvCLLpc6Y/R5YXenvoBLI/AAAAAAAAAeo/cfrhUKPqMXk/s320/capt_xmel21501191451_australia_open_tennis_xmel215 .jpg

VPhuc tennis fan
07-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Agree. Don't know what to say to all these people who think Fed will stream roll Youzhny when we don't even know the status of his injury. (Don't believe anything he says in his post match interviews, he always downplays injuries). He could hardly serve or move or hit a decent FH for parts of the match against Malisse and Youzhny is definitely better than Malisse.
The problem no one takes Fed's injury or MTO seriously is because certain other players have a track record of playing on a "broken foot" or "cracked knee" that need momentum disrupting MTOs, still going on grind fests winning against the top players . So this is what tennis fans in general have come to expect of all "injured players". They are always a lock for winning any match or the title for that matter.
Well, for my part, I hope that a lot of massage combined with some rest, Fed back will loosen up. I read somewhere that against Malisse, Fed still won a very good second serve point %. Again, Malisse is nowhere in the same league as Djoker, so less pressure there. Against Youzhny, Fed still has an excellent chance to win a high % of 2nd serve. Rest, loosen up, and we shall see.
A side point, by highlights, Fed has shown more S&V than in previous years. Am I correct?
No complaint from my part since I always thought he should try it more often than trying to always overpowering his opponents from the baseline.

cc0509
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
If you know anything about tennis, you must have been informed Fed has a back injury and struggled playing both Benn and Mal in the last two matches in Wimbledon. And Djokovic does not have an injury and plays comfortably well against his so-called pigeons. That's the difference.

But judging from your posts, it does not seem like you know tennis more than any one else here. So don't flatter yourself and think others know nothing about
tennis.

Banned I see, what a shocker! :shock: :mrgreen: