PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's ranking after Wimbledon

HunterST
07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I think by now it's safe to talk about Nadal's upset at Wimbledon without worrying about spoilers. He's going to lose a lot of points as he was a finalist last year. Does anyone have an idea of what has to happen for him to keep/lose the number 2 ranking?

mistik
07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
He will be No 3.He already lost No 2 ranking.He wont be No 4 who ever wins the tournament.

Cormorant
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Winning Cincy and reaching Olympic final-or vice versa-would be a start, but he's at Fed's mercy until after the USO.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Mind-boggling how much he will probably next year at Wimbledon :shock:, what a nice advantage to have in 2013.. Win 8th French Open and then go to grass with no pressure and everything to gain..

zacinnc78
07-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Mind-boggling how much he will probably next year at Wimbledon :shock:, what a nice advantage to have in 2013.. Win 8th French Open and then go to grass with no pressure and everything to gain..
lol ....sounds desperate(i know from being a fed fan )

Tony48
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM

LOL Good Lord

rommil
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Winning Cincy and reaching Olympic final-or vice versa-would be a start, but he's at Fed's mercy until after the USO.

Rafa will win the US Open................. the golf one:)

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
LOL Good Lord

I know, right? Usually he has to defend the final at least. What a contrast...

Rafa Nadal almost achieved this scenario in 2010 Wimbledon (vs 151-ranked Haase and 41-ranked Petzchner) on his way to the title-

Round 2: Robin Haase 5-7, 6-2, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
Round 3: Philipp Petzschner 6-4, 4-6, 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-3

Cup8489
07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I know, right? Usually he has to defend the final at least. What a contrast...

Rafa Nadal almost achieved this scenario in 2010 Wimbledon (vs 151-ranked Haase and 41-ranked Petzchner) on his way to the title-

Round 2: Robin Haase 5-7, 6-2, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
Round 3: Philipp Petzschner 6-4, 4-6, 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-3

I like it. saving his energy for a real push for number 1.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I like it. saving his energy for a real push for number 1.

And for the rest of 2012 he can gain big everywhere except for US Open (but he's always been consistent there even in 2009).

MaiDee
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I think by now it's safe to talk about Nadal's upset at Wimbledon without worrying about spoilers. He's going to lose a lot of points as he was a finalist last year. Does anyone have an idea of what has to happen for him to keep/lose the number 2 ranking?

http://live-tennis.eu/

Clarky21
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I think Nadal will most likely finish the year ranked 3rd or 4th,but he does have the opportunity to gain a ton of points in Canada,and after the USO. Fed,otoh,has a ton of points to defend after the USO,so if Nadal at least shows up somehwere along the line he could get the #2 ranking back. I don't see it happening,but it's possible.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
And you do? I bet you've never watched any of their matches this year. Even most *******s would agree that Fed plays very *****ty lately, but then again with an irrational one like you, I'm not surprised. You would be incredibly insane to think that with Fed's form now, he will be able to beat an increasingly in form Djokovic this year at Wimbledon.

It's you knowing nothing about tennis.

As a Fed fan I say it is unlikely but it is not out of the question. You don't know how Federer's form will be on that particular day and you never know when Federer will show up and play more like prime Federer. You also don't know how Djokovic's form will be on that day. You can't count out a guy who has won 6 Wimbledon's EVER as unlikely as it may seem.

Crisstti
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
I think Nadal will most likely finish the year ranked 3rd or 4th,but he does have the opportunity to gain a ton of points in Canada,and after the USO. Fed,otoh,has a ton of points to defend after the USO,so if Nadal at least shows up somehwere along the line he could get the #2 ranking back. I don't see it happening,but it's possible.

He probably has a good chance of getting the 2 ranking since he pretty much did nothing after Wimbledon last year except for the USO...

MichaelNadal
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
He probably has a good chance of getting the 2 ranking since he pretty much did nothing after Wimbledon last year except for the USO...

Agreed, good point about Federer though, he has lots of defending to do after the USO.

JustBob
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
After the USO (quarter or semis at best) he will disappear as usual for the rest of the year and will finish at #3.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
GodNovak;6686513]1. When did you tell me that? Please dig it out and show me here. I remember just a couple minutes ago, you still said you are looking forward to me losing that bet, which implies Djokovic is gonna lose to Fed. Nice try, but no, you are just biting your own hands.

Where did I say that? I said Djokovic will probably defeat Federer but I think Federer will defeat Youzhny, you must be getting confused.

2. And you can count out Youz 100%? No one is arguing about the pure possibility here. Anything can happen, and thanks for stating the OBVIOUS.

3. What reasons? Because I fail to see you bring any to the table. You just run your mouth here like crazy with your obnoxious self-righteousness (hypocrite really).

5. Prove it. Prove that you are any less of a troll than me. But I've already shown that you are a much bigger troll than I am. At least I brought some arguments to the table, which may or may not be compelling, but you... again, just know how to run your mouth. Nothing more nothing less. You definitely fit more to the very definition of troll.

I did not even read all of your statements above. I refuse to argue with a poster like you because you are the type of poster who no matter what another poster says, you will turn it around and it is a no-win situation. All you want to do is be argumentative and put down other posters who don't view your favorite player as a saint. I am not going there with you. This is a tennis forum where people have different favorite players and different opinions and you have to respect all those opinions even if you disagree. Novel concept for you obviously. Bye.

WhiskeyEE
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Fed has points to pick up in Canada and Cinci as well. And we both know Nadal isn't defending his points at USO. But yeah, it's a toss up whether Fed will defend his indoor points.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
As a Fed fan I say it is unlikely but it is not out of the question. You don't know how Federer's form will be on that particular day and you never know when Federer will show up and play more like prime Federer. You also don't know how Djokovic's form will be on that day. You can't count out a guy who has won 6 Wimbledon's EVER as unlikely as it may seem.

The funny thing about Djokovic is it feels like he isnt playing as well as last year but he could end up with an even better year in the slams. Last year he won 3 and lost in the semis of the other. Still a long way to go this year, but he is looking like the odds on favorite to win Wimbledon now (I was saying Federer but seeing Djokovic's last 2 matches i am leaning slightly the other way now), and if he were to win Wimbledon he would clearly be the favorite for the U.S Open, well he probably is even if he doesnt win Wimbledon. This despite that it semes to be a general consensus he is not playing at his 2011 level, especialy seeing how he was even beating Nadal on clay last year, and this year he was useless and barely competitive vs Nadal on clay for the most part (although played much better on clay than last year too).

The Federer-Djokovic semifinal is still a close call though. Federer is playing his best grass tennis in years, even if he didnt look as good the last couple matches as the first couple, but Benneteau especialy is one of those streaky low hitting players who got on a hot streak, it wasnt all Federer's fault he was in trouble there. Djokovic is looking good, but it is still his worst surface and most likely to lose other than to Nadal on clay. Federer might have more incentive than Djokovic too. I am sure Djokovic wants to win but he might be more focused on the Olympics, especialy seeing how crushed he was to lose that semi to Nadal in 2008, he really wants to win it this time I bet. While Federer has the Wimbledon shared record and weeks at #1 records both at stake, he might be willing to dig deeper than Djokovic to win if it gets close.

Clarky21
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Fed has points to pick up in Canada and Cinci as well. And we both know Nadal isn't defending his points at USO. But yeah, it's a toss up whether Fed will defend his indoor points.

Not as many as Nadal. He lost his first match in Canada last year,and bombed out in the quarters at Cinci. I am pretty sure Fed did better than that in both of those tournaments last year.

I agree with you that Nadal won't even come close to making the final at the USO this year. I don't think he gets any further than the quarters there.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Notice how Nadal doesn't drop many sets (or drops none) in the early rounds of hardcourt slams, but drops several at Wimbledon? Barring injury he's almost a lock to reach the semis of every hardcourt slam (and last 2 of them he reached the final). Only thing he has to watch out for is an early season injury in Australia (happened twice in last 3 years).

sonicare
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Nadal is done. Should stick to fishing and moonlight as a bull fighter.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Notice how Nadal doesn't drop many sets (or drops none) in the early rounds of hardcourt slams, but drops several at Wimbledon? Barring injury he's almost a lock to reach the semis of every hardcourt slam (and last 2 of them he reached the final). Only thing he has to watch out for is an early season injury in Australia (happened twice in last 3 years).

This is true. I think it takes Nadal more times to get his rythym and timing on grass than hard courts. Once Nadal gets going, he is better on grass than on hard courts, but he is able to play his best more consistently and right out of the gate on hard courts than grass, which makes him less vurnerable to early scares and sometimes upsets. He was more likely to win Wimbledon than he will be the U.S Open, had he made the second week (he still has a chance to but had more of one here), but he is also even less likely to lose early at the U.S Open than he was here.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
The funny thing about Djokovic is it feels like he isnt playing as well as last year but he could end up with an even better year in the slams. Last year he won 3 and lost in the semis of the other.

The Federer-Djokovic semifinal is still a close call though. Federer is playing his best grass tennis in years, even if he didnt look as good the last couple matches as the first couple, but Benneteau especialy is one of those streaky low hitting players who got on a hot streak, it wasnt all Federer's fault he was in trouble there. Djokovic is looking good, but it is still his worst surface and most likely to lose other than to Nadal on clay. Federer might have more incentive than Djokovic too. I am sure Djokovic wants to win but he might be more focused on the Olympics, especialy seeing how crushed he was to lose that semi to Nadal in 2008, he really wants to win it this time I bet. While Federer has the Wimbledon shared record and weeks at #1 records both at stake, he might be willing to dig deeper than Djokovic to win if it gets close.

At this wacky tournament this year anything could happen. I would say Djokovic is the favorite to win Wimbledon, but, I would not count out Federer or even Murray completely yet. I predicted at the beginning of 2012 that Djokovic would win at least two slams and I still think so. He may even win three, we will see. It has been more unpredictable this year between the top three. I thought Nadal would win Wimbledon this year and I was wrong about that, so ??????

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
This is true. I think it takes Nadal more times to get his rythym and timing on grass than hard courts. Once Nadal gets going, he is better on grass than on hard courts, but he is able to play his best more consistently and right out of the gate on hard courts than grass, which makes him less vurnerable to early scares and sometimes upsets. He was more likely to win Wimbledon than he will be the U.S Open, had he made the second week (he still has a chance to but had more of one here), but he is also even less likely to lose early at the U.S Open than he was here.

Yeah its impressive how safe he looks in hardcourt slams. Really controls the points apart from vs Djoko. Even when he plays Murray he looks in control on hardcourts (at least at last year's US)..

WhiskeyEE
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Not as many as Nadal. He lost his first match in Canada last year,and bombed out in the quarters at Cinci. I am pretty sure Fed did better than that in both of those tournaments last year.

I agree with you that Nadal won't even come close to making the final at the USO this year. I don't think he gets any further than the quarters there.

Nadal made 2R and QF; Fed made 3R and QF. Pretty much identical. Old man Fed won Cinci twice, so I like his chances there.

NadalAgassi
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
At this wacky tournament this year anything could happen. I would say Djokovic is the favorite to win Wimbledon, but, I would not count out Federer or even Murray completely yet. I predicted at the beginning of 2012 that Djokovic would win at least two slams and I still think so. He may even win three, we will see. It has been more unpredictable this year between the top three. I thought Nadal would win Wimbledon this year and I was wrong about that, so ??????

I think Murray has a better chance vs Djokovic in the final than he would vs Federer. Despite his good overall record vs Federer he seems intimidated by him in a really big match. He has played vs Djokovic since they were kids, and has said many times he feels he is just as talented and doesnt feel like the lesser light, despite Djokovic's much superior record. If it is Murray vs Djokovic I would give Murray a 40-45% chance to win.

This is a crazy Wimbledon though. Many things could happen for the men, and even more for the women. The women especialy I have no idea what to expect from here, any of the final 8 besides Kirilenko I think could win the title though (now watch Kirilenko end up winning the tournament the way things are going now, LOL).

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
One thing for certain, Rafa Nadal looks a lot healthier than Roger Federer..

JustBob
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Past results are not always a good indicator of future results. I think Nadal will have a hard time maintaining his (relative) consistency/success on HC and is likely, in fact, to become progressively worse on that surface, except perhaps at the AO which unfortunately for him, is Djokovic's best surface.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Past results are not always a good indicator of future results. I think Nadal will have a hard time maintaining his (relative) consistency/success on HC and is likely, in fact, to become progressively worse on that surface, except perhaps at the AO which unfortunately for him, is Djokovic's best surface.

Rafa Nadal has always been a better US Open player than AO player. It was strange to see him match Djoko at the AO, given that it's Djoko's favorite, and Rafa Nadal's worst. US Open even when Rafa Nadal was a this worst, is such a safe event for him to reach semis without much challenge.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I think Murray has a better chance vs Djokovic in the final than he would vs Federer. Despite his good overall record vs Federer he seems intimidated by him in a really big match. He has played vs Djokovic since they were kids, and has said many times he feels he is just as talented and doesnt feel like the lesser light, despite Djokovic's much superior record. If it is Murray vs Djokovic I would give Murray a 40-45% chance to win.

This is a crazy Wimbledon though. Many things could happen for the men, and even more for the women. The women especialy I have no idea what to expect from here, any of the final 8 besides Kirilenko I think could win the title though (now watch Kirilenko end up winning the tournament the way things are going now, LOL).

Yes, as crazy as the men's side has been this year, it is even harder to correctly predict the winner on the women's side. I did not see the Lisicki win over Sharapova coming, I figured it would be a Serena/Sharapova final. You are right, any of the women can win and I agree Kirilenko is the least likely but who the hell knows!

Clarky21
07-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Not true. Nadal has been playing with shots in his knees for most of this year,and is again having PRP done on his knees to try and be ready for the olympics. He is far from being 100% right now.

Clarky21
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Nadal made 2R and QF; Fed made 3R and QF. Pretty much identical. Old man Fed won Cinci twice, so I like his chances there.

Wow,I am surprised by that. I thought Fed would have done much better than that considering it's hard courts.

JustBob
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Rafa Nadal has always been a better US Open player than AO player. It was strange to see him match Djoko at the AO, given that it's Djoko's favorite, and Rafa Nadal's worst. US Open even when Rafa Nadal was a this worst, is such a safe event for him to reach semis without much challenge.

Once again, you are using past results as a predictor of future results. I hope you don't play the stock market. I still maintain that Nadal will do progressively worse on fast(er) surfaces because players will increasingly be able to expose his weaknesses on these surfaces.

Magnetite
07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Djokovic looked very sharp against Troicki today, while Fed had trouble warming up and definitely wasn't moving well.

It's up to Fed to win his QF and show up against Djokovic, unlike his performance at RG.

Anything can happen, and I want Fed to win, but the smart money is definitely on Djokovic right now.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Not true. Nadal has been playing with shots in his knees for most of this year,and is again having PRP done on his knees to try and be ready for the olympics. He is far from being 100% right now.

Wrong. He only had one treatment, it was just after his struggles in Miami.. Been cruising physically ever since.

HunterST
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
So will Fed be ranked 2 at the olympics? That could mean avoiding either Nadal or Djokovic.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Once again, you are using past results as a predictor of future results. I hope you don't play the stock market. I still maintain that Nadal will do progressively worse on fast(er) surfaces because players will increasingly be able to expose his weaknesses on these surfaces.

You are "maintaining" that belief out of your ***. Play the stock market out of your ***, and suffer the consequences.. I'm actually observing reality.

JustBob
07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
You are "maintaining" that belief out of your ***. Play the stock market out of your ***, and suffer the consequences.. I'm actually observing reality.

Yes, the typical alternate reality of yet another immature Nadal fan... "He was good in the past so he'll be just as good in the future!" I'm not sure which orifice that's coming out of, but it's fascinating "logic"...

mcenroefan
07-02-2012, 07:47 PM

It's an "advantage" to have the #3 ranking and to lose hope of regaining #1 ranking for almost a year of his prime? I doubt Nadal sees it that way.

Clarky21
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
It's an "advantage" to have the #3 ranking and to lose hope of regaining #1 ranking for almost a year of his prime? I doubt Nadal sees it that way.

Nadal is not in his prime anymore. I know why people keep insisting he is,but he is not.

brickner_damage
07-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Rafa Nadal won't be ranked #3 ranking by the end of this year. Federer can't defend all those indoor points with a back injury. And Federer doesn't even have a big lead over Nadal right now, despite Nadal's early loss. And Nadal has nothing to defend apart from the US Open. So it looks like Nadal will finish the year at #2. And then whether he regains number #1 will depend on the 2013 Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Rocky89
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Wrong. He only had one treatment, it was just after his struggles in Miami.. Been cruising physically ever since.

Wrong. He had injection marks on his knee from treatment at Wimbledon and is doing treatment before the Olympics. Not exactly 'cruising physically'

merlinpinpin
07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
So will Fed be ranked 2 at the olympics? That could mean avoiding either Nadal or Djokovic.

Federer will be either #1 or #2 at the olympics, depending on whether he wins Wimbledon or not.

cc0509
07-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Rafa Nadal won't be ranked #3 ranking by the end of this year. Federer can't defend all those indoor points with a back injury. And Federer doesn't even have a big lead over Nadal right now, despite Nadal's early loss. And Nadal has nothing to defend apart from the US Open. So it looks like Nadal will finish the year at #2. And then whether he regains number #1 will depend on the 2013 Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Are you Federer's personal physician and you know that Federer has a major back issue and will therefore not be able to defend his points at the end of the season? If his back issue was so major do you really think he would have played on today against Malisse or even more so do you think if his back was that bad he would have been physically able to play on? It sounds to me that he had a back muscle spasm. They can come and go and don't last for months on end. It is not like a disc problem which would render him absolutely unable to play even for a minute and actually he would be unable to walk let alone play.

Tennis_Hands
07-02-2012, 11:33 PM

You should really choose "pathetic" for your next username.

Tennis_Hands
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM

It is good, that you acknowledge, that the only thing Nadal can do is to pray, that Federer has a serious injury, in order to pass him after the US Open.

merlinpinpin
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM

It's possible, but contrary to many people's belief, Federer does not have that many more points to defend (compared to Nadal) until the end of the year. After Wimbledon, he will have 3,990 points to defend, to Nadal's 2,170. So, a 1,820 point difference. Sure seems pretty big, but he will end Wimbledon with anything from a 500-point (should he lose to Youzhny) to a 2,100-point (should he win the whole thing) lead over Nadal, so keeping the #2 spot at least looks perfectly doable for Federer, especially if Nadal is drawn in Djokovic's half from time to time, now that he is #3.

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Precisely what my good friend *** would have said.

At the same time, I am sure the French and English Federations will make sure that Rosol is permanently debarred from entering France/UK in case he spoils their Slams again.

Sabratha
07-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Is it possible Nadal could finish the year ranked out of the top 5?

merlinpinpin
07-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Is it possible Nadal could finish the year ranked out of the top 5?

Mathematically, I guess so.

Realistically? Nope, not with the clay season he's had. ;)

joeri888
07-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Nadal already has 6800 points. If he does not score another point, that would still keep him fourth. Murray won't pass Nadal either. In fact, Rafa still has a better shot at no. 1 for the end of the year than Roger has.

sbengte
07-03-2012, 01:24 AM

( There used to be a time when we thought Nadal, the slam_king had already won 2012 and would go on a bull-zilla like run mauling every player who crossed his path and continue to hand out beat downs of the kind 6-1,6-3,6-0. That is what we were used to ever since we first saw Rafa @ 2005 RG. Anyway, not much damage done so far. Team Nadal will take care of whatever needs to be done and he will soon get back the #1 ranking since he is such a fighter. :D :shock: ;-) )

Wuppy
07-03-2012, 01:51 AM
I'd like to see Fed vs. Murray in the final. Fed winning, of course.

Feather
07-03-2012, 02:34 AM
( There used to be a time when we thought Nadal, the slam_king had already won 2012 and would go on a bull-zilla like run mauling every player who crossed his path and continue to hand out beat downs of the kind 6-1,6-3,6-0. That is what we were used to ever since we first saw Rafa @ 2005 RG. Anyway, not much damage done so far. Team Nadal will take care of whatever needs to be done and he will soon get back the #1 ranking since he is such a fighter. :D :shock: ;-) )

Just too brilliant post, loved the creativity a lot :)