PDA

View Full Version : Annacone: Federer, Sampras, & Rankings

tHotGates
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Annacone has told The Tennis Space that it is impossible to say whether Federer at his peak would have beaten Sampras at his peak: “If Roger played Pete at his peak, who knows what would happen? When people make strong arguments, I just laugh. I consider myself a tennis expert, but you just can’t compare two eras like that. It gets me emotionally frustrated when people make snap judgements like that.”

“What I do believe in, from the bottom of my heart, is that great players will be great players, whichever era they’re in. You can’t project or predict how Laver would have done against Roger. Who knows? The rivalries within the own eras are so interesting. I got to sit in the front row for eight years watching Andre and Pete, the ebbs and flows, the little subtle changes here and there, and what they were doing to adapt. That’s what made it great. If Roger played Pete at his peak, who knows what would happen? When people make strong arguments, I just laugh. People say, ‘Andre would never lose to Rafa on grass’, and I say: ‘Why? How do you know that?’ I’m a tennis expert and I don’t know that. People say, ‘Rafa would never ever lose to Borg on clay’, and you think: ‘Why?’

For more, read here: http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinion/federers-coach-i-laugh-at-peoples-opinions/

VPhuc tennis fan
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Annacone has told The Tennis Space that it is impossible to say whether Federer at his peak would have beaten Sampras at his peak: “If Roger played Pete at his peak, who knows what would happen? When people make strong arguments, I just laugh. I consider myself a tennis expert, but you just can’t compare two eras like that. It gets me emotionally frustrated when people make snap judgements like that.”

“What I do believe in, from the bottom of my heart, is that great players will be great players, whichever era they’re in. You can’t project or predict how Laver would have done against Roger. Who knows? The rivalries within the own eras are so interesting. I got to sit in the front row for eight years watching Andre and Pete, the ebbs and flows, the little subtle changes here and there, and what they were doing to adapt. That’s what made it great. If Roger played Pete at his peak, who knows what would happen? When people make strong arguments, I just laugh. People say, ‘Andre would never lose to Rafa on grass’, and I say: ‘Why? How do you know that?’ I’m a tennis expert and I don’t know that. People say, ‘Rafa would never ever lose to Borg on clay’, and you think: ‘Why?’

For more, read here: http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinion/federers-coach-i-laugh-at-peoples-opinions/
At least, he's smart. Contrary to some posters on this forum...
Enjoy the show and stop saying, 'what if?'

TennisLovaLova
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
the real question is: would Serena defeat Borg or McEnroe on grass?
"what if?"
Have a nice day sir.

VPhuc tennis fan
07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
the real question is: would Serena defeat Borg or McEnroe on grass?
"what if?"
Have a nice day sir.
Keep pondering. Your guess is as good as anyone's, I guess.
Different generations, different equipments, different court surfaces (not same type of grass, underlaying, etc.), and cross the gender barriers? That's just a lot of things to ponder!

helloworld
07-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Annacone has coached both Federer and Sampras, so he knows better than anyone.

VPhuc tennis fan
07-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Annacone has coached both Federer and Sampras, so he knows better than anyone.
Then we all should do just as he does. Enjoy watching instead of armchair quarterbacking, right?

jackson vile
07-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, that is the final word on that!

mattennis
07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
One very sensible and knowledgable guy. Unfortunately there are very few like him in this circus-media-era where "the last thing is the best thing, for sure, no?".

zagor
07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
The difference between a sensible person who works/ed as a tennis coach to two all time tennis legends and a media talking heads trying to hype the game at any cost.

WhiskeyEE
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I disagree. And Batman would definitely beat Superman.