PDA

View Full Version : USTA ignores Brian Baker...why?

jdubbs
07-03-2012, 08:25 AM
After 1st round win at Wimbledon:
Q. Coach?

BRIAN BAKER: "Still don't know if I would have a coach. I might have some guys helping me out this summer, but I don't know if it would be like a full‑time coach. I think I'm leaning more towards maybe not my own but sharing a physio for the summer circuit."

Q: What about your relationship with the USTA? Can you go to them as a support?

BRIAN BAKER: "As far as coaching and stuff? I haven't done that yet...they haven't contacted me about it, but I haven't, you know, reached out and asked them.
So, I mean, that could definitely be a possibility, but I just don't know."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where are our dues and US Open money going? They can't reach out and support a top American player? I don't get it. He has to do it all on his own? This is obviously an exceptional talent.

zcarzach
07-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Nope, they have to keep Donald Young in sideways hats. If I could play league without giving the USTA one dime to throw away after wasted "talent", I'd do so.

drakulie
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
He was born here, so they won't help him
They only like to help kids who are developed elsewhere and then try to take credit for developing them.

Wilander Fan
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Nope, they have to keep Donald Young in sideways hats. If I could play league without giving the USTA one dime to throw away after wasted "talent", I'd do so.

Does he always wear his hat like that? I thought that was just a bad picture/joke.

Swissv2
07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
They only like to help kids who are developed elsewhere and then try to take credit for developing them.

lol! :twisted:

zcarzach
07-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Does he always wear his hat like that? I thought that was just a bad picture/joke.

Its a joke, but it ain't a joke, if you get what I mean. He always does that, in every picture I've seen of him.

jdubbs
07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Ok, but back on subject. Doesn't the head of USTA make like $900K a year or something?
You've got a guy with a great comeback story and top 50 talent if not more, with at least 3-4 years left on tour. Inspirational story. Why haven't you reached out at this point? What else do you need to see?

USTA needs to step up here, big time.

jokinla
07-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Honestly why does he need them, he's doing just fine with what he's got, they'll just come in and screw him up.

jdubbs
07-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Honestly why does he need them, he's doing just fine with what he's got, they'll just come in and screw him up.

Play and train with some of the best players in the world, set up a solid regimen, coaching/strategy, biofeedback, trainers on call, nutritional advice, travel money etc etc.

jmverdugo
07-03-2012, 09:14 AM

I will not mention names but I saw a guy (that looked and talked like an Argentinian kid) in a Challenger event in Brazil, to my surprise when I looked for his file at the ATP website he turned out to be American, then I looked further ... so I know what you mean.

jokinla
07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Play and train with some of the best players in the world, set up a solid regimen, coaching/strategy, biofeedback, trainers on call, nutritional advice, travel money etc etc.

He can get most of the above without them, the trainers and travel money would be nice though.

Shaolin
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Yet he's doing better than the other Americans who have these things.

SoCalJay
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
It seems like TW is the only entity that has any clue about this guy right now. Their launch of Athletic DNA clothing happened right around the same time that Baker appeared back on the attack and decked out in the stuff TW carries.

Hell, Athletic DNA is apparently slow on the uptake as well. The pro section on their site has two guys listed: R. Ram and A Bogomolov Jr... I cannot believe that the PR and marketing directors at ADNA are so incompetent that they have not yet seized the opportunity presented by Baker's great story and recent success.

drakulie
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I will not mention names but I saw a guy (that looked and talked like an Argentinian kid) in a Challenger event in Brazil, to my surprise when I looked for his file at the ATP website he turned out to be American, then I looked further ... so I know what you mean.

Andreas perhaps?? He is one of the many.