PDA

View Full Version : worst Wimbledon...ever

rayoflight110
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
It is just so drab and boring. No excitement or zest. Just boring.

The Bawss
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Somebody is butthurt because Nadal crashed out.

BullDogTennis
07-03-2012, 12:05 PM

i thought watching nadal go out was extremely entertaining...

quite possible the best wimbledon.....EVER

Towser83
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I hope this is a sarcastic post lol. all the top players are getting tested and losing sets though Murray and Djokovic have had a fairly straightforward time. but at least you feel no one is getting by with players too afraid to win a set. that is excellent.

zcarzach
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Indeed. Best 2nd round match in history.

Loose Cannon
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
wimbledon.....for me......usually produces the least exciting, Holy Cow' type matches.....of the 4 slams. No drama, intrigue. Just people wearing suits to a darn tennis match. yep....makes alot of sense

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Best one since 2009 which itself was best one since 2005.

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I hope this is a sarcastic post lol. all the top players are getting tested and losing sets though Murray and Djokovic have had a fairly straightforward time. but at least you feel no one is getting by with players too afraid to win a set. that is excellent.

I agree. I hope Murray is the other finalist but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

joeri888
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Rosol-Nadal and Federer-Benneteau were back to back classics. Ferrer-Roddick and Baggy-Murray were very good. Not to mention Querrey-CCilic 4th rounds were disappointing I agree, but awesome first week

CMM
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/aemhba.jpg

Torres
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Worst thread....ever.

Rosol smoking Nadal....one of the most exciting upsets...ever.

InspectorRacquet
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
It is just so drab and boring. No excitement or zest. Just boring.

Let me make a list of the zest you missed:

1. Rosol beats Nadal, opens up entire quarter of draw
2. Federer is tested to five sets by Benneteau
3. Querrey and Cilic play epic five setter, making the second longest match in Winbledon history by time spent on court (second only to Isner-Mahut). It wasn't weak, either. There were tons of good rallies.
4. On the Women's side, Shvedova gets only the second golden set in tennis history (correct me on how many golden sets there are, but not many) against this years women's French Open finalist, nonetheless.

And if the OP was trying to produce a work of satire, it didn't work. If the OP is trolling, then indeed it worked.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I agree. I hope Murray is the other finalist but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

I kind of hope Tsonga gets to the final, but I want an epic 5 setter with him and Murray, and epic 5 setter between Djokovic and Federer in the other half is only right as well.

jmverdugo
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
so you want like a fist fight or something?

Crayola Oblongata
07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bZUuW.gif

rainingaces
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Remember when grass was faster then the fastest hardcourts? That was when wimbledon was great, the stuff they play on now gets slower and slower as it goes further into the tournament. Someone like ferrer grinding his way into the QF is a joke, not to mention Mayer.

The Bawss
07-03-2012, 12:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bZUuW.gif

I think you just rustled his jimmies right there bro.

Independently of my desdain for Nadal, I think it's great he went out, it allowed Kohli to reach his first slam QF!

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I kind of hope Tsonga gets to the final, but I want an epic 5 setter with him and Murray, and epic 5 setter between Djokovic and Federer in the other half is only right as well.

If Federer loses, which I am pretty sure will happen, I'd love to see Murray win this. UK deserves a slam champion after all those years. Also, hopefully that would mentally unlock him and he would become a threat for all slams from now on which would benefit tennis. It sucks when it's pretty much Nadal vs Novak in every slam final.

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Was that Sampras 15 years ago?

Nostradamus
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
i think we can look forward to novak vs roger semi. that one could be a classic. and if andy really pushes and wins in the final, that could be a classic that saves this wimbledon.
Other than that, we could look forward to Olympics in the same lawn. that could be exciting.

joeri888
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
If Federer loses, which I am pretty sure will happen, I'd love to see Murray win this. UK deserves a slam champion after all those years. Also, hopefully that would mentally unlock him and he would become a threat for all slams from now on which would benefit tennis. It sucks when it's pretty much Nadal vs Novak in every slam final.

I agree. But unlocking Tsonga would be cool too. It would be good for tennis if someone from that half won, I agree. A nice changeup. I'd also like nobody to come close to Roger's records so I'd like Murray and Tsonga to content the hardcourt slams as well ;)

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
i think we can look forward to novak vs roger semi. that one could be a classic. and if andy really pushes and wins in the final, that could be a classic that saves this wimbledon.
Other than that, we could look forward to Olympics in the same lawn. that could be exciting.

I sure hope it's not the same lawn. It would really suck if Olympics were on clay.

Nostradamus
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I sure hope it's not the same lawn. It would really suck if Olympics were on clay.

Wimbledon officials have assured us that they will have full healthy green lawn again just in time for the Olympics. They plan on re-seeding the lawn with super fast growing lawn with nitrogen rich fertilizer. These guys are geniuses at All england club.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM

True it would make things more interesting, just being a bit biased because I don't really like Murray, but if he does win the title he deserves it. Even if he ends up beating Tsonga and Youzhny for it, he would still have triumphed where the others had failed.

Shaolin
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Remember when grass was faster then the fastest hardcourts? That was when wimbledon was great, the stuff they play on now gets slower and slower as it goes further into the tournament. Someone like ferrer grinding his way into the QF is a joke, not to mention Mayer.

It goes to show how slow the grass is now that Mayer is in he QF....guy has the biggest windmill fh swing I've ever seen. On the old grass he wouldn't be halfway through his swing before the ball was by him.

dudeski
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree. But unlocking Tsonga would be cool too. It would be good for tennis if someone from that half won, I agree. A nice changeup. I'd also like nobody to come close to Roger's records so I'd like Murray and Tsonga to content the hardcourt slams as well ;)

I feel like Murray is really just one mental block away from being another Novak. Tsonga is more of a one slam wander kind of guy. I mean Murray was able to kick Nadal's *** at 2008 USO when even according to so called respectable fans like Mustard, Nadal was in his peak. He also kicked Nadal's *** at 2010 AO. He was kicking Nadal's *** at 2011 Wimbledon until his brain froze. He really can dominate Nadal at 3 out 4 slams if he just stopped choking. Plus Murray got to 4 slam semis last year. Tsnga, on the other hand I am not too sure about his consistency.

Frying Pan Forehand
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EobpUV8Nbk0/T-raQbpTZ5I/AAAAAAABG4g/I3exQTWfwNw/s350/08cc247260e703f9c55ac7c1078d425a06205aab.gif

Rhino
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
You're not a tennis fan if you dislike a tournament just because Rafa is out. It means you're just a Rafa fan. Which is interesting because if it's not tennis you're interested in, then what exactly is it about Rafa that gets you going?

namelessone
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
WB is bad for me this year because I barely got to see any matches due to work. Same thing with RG.

Cesc Fabregas
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Youzhny, Mayer and Kohl is the QF's. Poor Wimbledon this year.

billnepill
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Youzhny, Mayer and Kohl is the QF's. Poor Wimbledon this year.

Funny, wasn't Youzhny in the USO semi-final against Nadal in 2010? That must be one poor tournament

MichaelNadal
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
wimbledon.....for me......usually produces the least exciting, Holy Cow' type matches.....of the 4 slams. No drama, intrigue. Just people wearing suits to a darn tennis match. yep....makes alot of sense

You know you do have a point there, out of all the great matches and highlights I watch, rarely is it from Wimbledon. I love the tournament though.

-RF-
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Best one in about 10 years so far.....

rosol upset
benneteau fed match
drama of feds injury
wta uncertaintity
the list goes on.. great tournament.

zcarzach
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
You know you do have a point there, out of all the great matches and highlights I watch, rarely is it from Wimbledon. I love the tournament though.

And yet many of the greatest matches ever played were played at Wimbledon.

MichaelNadal
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
And yet many of the greatest matches ever played were played at Wimbledon.

A statement I totally agree with. But they are usually more bc of the drama, prestige, what's on the line, and storyline of the match, than shotmaking and tennis quality.

batz
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
It goes to show how slow the grass is now that Mayer is in he QF....guy has the biggest windmill fh swing I've ever seen. On the old grass he wouldn't be halfway through his swing before the ball was by him.

This is his second QF @ Wimby - he also made it 8 years ago.

cknobman
07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Watching Rafa go down like that to Rosol (someone low ranked finally did not choke against a top player in a big situation) has made this tournament one of the best in recent memory.

If I get to watch a Nole-Fed final that will seal the deal. I'd like to see Roger win but at this point I consider it a certainty that if he somehow makes it to the final he has no chance against Nole.

sunof tennis
07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Watching Rafa go down like that to Rosol (someone low ranked finally did not choke against a top player in a big situation) has made this tournament one of the best in recent memory.

If I get to watch a Nole-Fed final that will seal the deal. I'd like to see Roger win but at this point I consider it a certainty that if he somehow makes it to the final he has no chance against Nole.

Unfortunately, they would meet in the semis assuming both win their quarterfinal matches

t135
07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
? I think it's going fine.

cknobman
07-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, they would meet in the semis assuming both win their quarterfinal matches

OOps yeah.

So the questions are:

Do we pencil in the winner of Fed/Djoker as the next Wimby winner?

or

Does Murray have any realistic shot of winning this Wimbledon?

Clarky21
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I wonder what the ratings are this year? It would be interesting to know if they have risen or dropped due to how squirrely this tournament has been this year.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
one of the top 4 going out early has to effect the viewing figures in a bad way. I would find it hard to say who pulls in more viewers between fed, nadal and Murray (murray being british) but probably fed, nadal, then murray. That's UK only, globally it would probably be fed, nadal, djoker, muzza

JustBob
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
"worst... ever" or "best... ever" = thread fail 99.9% of the time regardless of topic.

Nostradamus
07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
This could be the most boring men's quarterfinals ever. that much might be true

TheTruth
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM

My sentiments exactly! Spot on, dude, spot on!

Fugazi
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
+1 !!!!

10char

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
It's entirely Rafa's fault if he got out in R2. Cannot blame the roof since it was on only for the fifth set. The 45 min delay also happened only after the 4th set.

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
I wonder what the ratings are this year? It would be interesting to know if they have risen or dropped due to how squirrely this tournament has been this year.
LMAO @ squirrely.

Only dear Rafa was squirrely this year, unless you are counting the WTA. The other top 4 are still there as far as I know. #1 and defending champ looking good. Murray looking handsome, too.

Actually come to think of it deeply, this year's RG was the worst ever. Actually it would have been the best if the final match had continued that night and Nole had won, but by postponing the match and handing it yet again to Rafa, the French Federation totally ruined it :D :D

Clarky21
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
LMAO @ squirrely.

Only dear Rafa was squirrely this year, unless you are counting the WTA. The other top 4 are still there as far as I know. #1 and defending champ looking good. Murray looking handsome, too.

Actually come to think of it deeply, this year's RG was the worst ever. Actually it would have been the best if the final match had continued that night and Nole had won, but by postponing the match and handing it yet again to Rafa, the French Federation totally ruined it :D :D

Nah,I am not talking about only Nadal losing early. The whole tournament has just been crap with the weather,the roof,the lousy draws,no decent match-ups,etc... I'm just not into Wimby this year I guess,but I am sure I am not alone.

atac
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Seems like its only good tournament if someone's favorite player wins.

glazkovss
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Nadal's lose gave a promising start to Wimbledon, but now it looks boring again. Need a few more upsets. Unlikely but interesting SF lineup would be: Mayer-Youzhny, Ferrer-Tsonga.

valiant
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Seems like its only good tournament if someone's favorite player wins.

Quoted for THE TRUTH :twisted:

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Quoted for THE TRUTH :twisted:
Valiant, wondering if you can answer some questions.

are you watching WO on HD (ESPN-HD) ?

If so,

1. what is cost of ESPN-HD channel, tata-sky website not listing it in channels, so i cant find channel.

2. I take it only WO is shown in HD in India, not the other slams, right ?

3. Do you know the cost of the tata-sky HD set top box ?

valiant
07-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Valiant, wondering if you can answer some questions.

are you watching WO on HD (ESPN-HD) ?

If so,

1. what is cost of ESPN-HD channel, tata-sky website not listing it in channels, so i cant find channel.

2. I take it only WO is shown in HD in India, not the other slams, right ?

3. Do you know the cost of the tata-sky HD set top box ?

1. I watch it on star sports. We bought a set up box ( Hathaway) around 3-4 years ago from the cable guy as it became mandatory for south Delhi peeps in order to view channels. We pay Rs 150 monthly and we get almost all the channels ( though it should be rs 300 something). Its not HD.

2. For 2 years i saw matches in hostel :P

3. No idea about the cost of set top box. I think my cousin has Tata sky. I will let u know later.

valiant
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Cable guy just came to collect money. I asked him about the set top box - its Rs 800.

If u want to watch HD then its a different set top box costing Rs 6000 and 1 year HD channels free.

:)

Murrayfan31
07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
This could be the best Wimbledon ever. Stay tuned.

hcb0804
07-04-2012, 05:26 AM
It will be the best Wimbledon if Murray wins.
It will be the worst if Jameka wins.

zagor
07-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Terrible Wimbledon, on par wtih 2005 and 2009, 2010 Wimbledon on the other hand was amazing (especially the final).

El Diablo
07-04-2012, 08:46 AM
ray
things can seem drab and boring when you're depressed. How have you been sleeping? Lost weight lately? Do things generally seem less enjoyable than they had in the past? Do you ever feel like it just isn't worth it all?

Magnetite
07-04-2012, 09:55 AM
This is one of the best grand slams in recent memory.

Don't know what the OP is smoking.

Someone should warn his family, so he doesn't eat their faces off.

Hitman
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
This has been one of the most exciting slams for a very long time!

Gulbis showing some magic against Berdych.
Rosol winning one of the greatest fifth set for sheer quality, shotmaking and clutch, and causing one of the biggest upsets ever at Wimbledon.
Federer getting pushed to the absolute brink only 24 hours later, and playing the most intense fourth set tie break since the Wimbledon 2008 final.
Murray fighting Marcos, the time restraints and the local officials to win a match just in the nick of time, the following day.
Cilic winning an epic, the second longest match in the history of the event.
Ferrer having his greatest ever run on grass, beating two slam champions back to back, and then battling Murray in a nailbiting quarter final.
Federer and Djokovic upping their game, and heading for a monumental showdown in the semis.
Tsonga returning back to the spotlight after the heartbreak in Paris.

And even in the women's, there has been incredible things. The golden set, the massive upset of Sharapova, the epic quarter finals, all four of them.

This has been a fanastic Wimbledon, and with what is left to come, we could have an incredible climax.

Sentinel
07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
This could be the best Wimbledon ever. Stay tuned.
Bro, you certainly got that right. :D

Cable guy just came to collect money. I asked him about the set top box - its Rs 800.

If u want to watch HD then its a different set top box costing Rs 6000 and 1 year HD channels free.

:)
Thanks, just got an LCD HD Tv. I already have Tata Sky so hope HD is only an upgrade and not another Rs 6000. Hopefully, the Olympics will be in HD, otherwise will have to wait a whole year till Wimpleton :(

Wish I could have watched this Wimbly on HD!

purge
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM
best wimbledon in a long time imo. 1st week scares and even upsets not only in the womens draw (which is rather common tbh) but also in the mens. pretty good matches and competitive matches in the 2nd week expect the djoko-mayer and fed-youzhny QFs. but muzz-ferru, tsonga-kohli, djoko-fed, muzz-tsonga and fed-muzz were all fairly good and entertaining matches imo. first 2 sets were split in each and every one of those. couldve been even better if at least 1 or 2 of them had gone to 5 but still all of those were more competitive than last years final for example. which was basically a beatdown apart from djokos 3rd set hiccup.

ill take this years wimbledon over last years any day in terms of quality of play and competitiveness of matches