PDA

View Full Version : Rafa lost early at Wimbledon because of......

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
impacted wisdom teeth? Lol. I just saw it on his Facebook. Just a joke but hey...tooth pain can slow you down!

"Ayer me quitaron las muelas del juicio, qué mejor recuperación que un baño con mi hermana! :)

Yesterday my wisdom were teeth pulled out, now I'm taking a rest with my sister! :)"

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/hisrob777/08988302.jpg

Towser83
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
it's dental karma for biting all those trophies :lol:

Probably a good thing he got them out now, before the season gets busy again.

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Haha dental karma. Olympics just around the corner. Another chance for Rafa to play on grass this season. For now he shall enjoy his $$$ while we talk about him on TT.

dudeski
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
it's dental karma for biting all those trophies :lol:

Probably a good thing he got them out now, before the season gets busy again.

There is plenty of time till April when he will need them again.

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
And when I say $$$ I mean as in millions of dollars. Not picking more wedgies. lol

Towser83
07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
There is plenty of time till April when he will need them again.

well as long as his front teeth are ok, he should be fine come his next title.

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I think Nadal is going to continue to work hard on his game. As long as he still enjoys playing he will continue at a high level. I've had concerns that he would have a mental burnout like Borg but I think he will stay the course and keep playing great tennis.

Mustard
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Rafa needs Sensodyne toothpaste after biting all those trophies :lol:

zcarzach
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
He lost because he ran into a player who was better than he was that day. No more, no less.

ATXtennisaddict
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
He lost because he wanted to go watch Spain play Italy in Euro 2012.

jdubbs
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Wherever he is in that pic, it looks like a pretty good consolation prize.

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
He lost because he ran into a player who was better than he was that day. No more, no less.

I think you missed the joke. He had them pulled after Wimbledon.

Wherever he is in that pic, it looks like a pretty good consolation prize.

I think it's his home in Mallorca...

zam88
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
he's actually up there in age to get wisdom teeth out, most get that done in the 18-23 range.

that's actually going to take a little out of him. needs at least 3-4 days rest before going back to full physical workout, plus he will lose a few pounds from a soft food diet most likely.

he really shouldn't be out in the sun or in the pool with likely having stitches and all.

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I had mine out at 19 and I thought that was late. He seems to be enjoying his recovery. haha

Towser83
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
he's actually up there in age to get wisdom teeth out, most get that done in the 18-23 range.

that's actually going to take a little out of him. needs at least 3-4 days rest before going back to full physical workout, plus he will lose a few pounds from a soft food diet most likely.

he really shouldn't be out in the sun or in the pool with likely having stitches and all.

I'm nearly 29 and I only HAVE one wisdom tooth, so maybe not that weird he's only having it out now.

CCNM
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey, impacted wisdom teeth (growing inward instead of out) can hurt!!!! Had mine removed when I was 19 and was out of work/school for a week!
However, on the other hand my brother had his removed when he was in high school, and was practicing with his (American)football team 2 days later!

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Maybe he was so moody in that match with Rosal because of the pain.

-RF-
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Rosol was in the zone, most players would have shat themselves soon as they realised they were 2 sets to one up against rafa. Rosol didn't, and played amazingly.

Nice sly excuse from nadal though... like 5 days after his loss?

Would Federer have done that, informed the world of his teeth getting pulled out? hmmmmm.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
before this gets carried away, the thing is it's not a big deal if you don't make it one. If nadal fans were suddenly like "nadal lost cos his teeth were hurting" then fair enough, that's just a pathetic excuse. But since they haven't said that, why do people on Nadal's case have to make a big deal of it? Let's just ignore it. It had nothing to do with his loss, we all know that and we don't have to pre-emt an excuse making flurry by making the excuse first on the behalf of Nadal and his fans. He said he had his teeth out, nothing wrong with that. No one has said that's why he lost - he hasn't and neither has his fans so chill out people. :)

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
It's the age of social media. Celebrities tell us when they get their teeth pulled, buy a dog, eat a cookie, etc. We all do it. I don't think it was a subtle excuse for his defeat in London even though I created this thread to jokingly imply that. Haha

Towser83
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
It's the age of social media. Celebrities tell us when they get their teeth pulled, buy a dog, eat a cookie, etc. We all do it. I don't think it was a subtle excuse for his defeat in London even though I created this thread to jokingly imply that. Haha

yeah i know, i wasn't having a go at you. but undoutedly some people will go overboard with it :lol:

cc0509
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM

HUH? :confused:

I had my four wisdom teeth taken out in the morning and was eating bbq ribs the same night. It was a nothing procedure and there was no recovery needed. I had a very slight bruising on one side of my face that lasted two days. I had no pain and was given pain killers and took none.

I would assume these days it is even a better procedure than it was a few years ago because of medical advances.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 02:35 PM

I had my four wisdom teeth taken out in the morning and was eating bbq ribs the same night. It was a nothing procedure and there was no recovery needed. I had a very slight bruising on one side of my face that lasted two days. I had no pain and was given pain killers and took none.

I would assume these days it is even a better procedure than it was a few years ago because of medical advances.

I think it varies, depends on how hard they are to removes, the individual's pain threshold etc. I've known people who were fine and some who were in agony. Sounded from his tweet like he was ok though.

Clarky21
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Wow,when I had just 2 of mine out I was miserable for a week,and still had soreness and tenderness in my jaw/face for a month+. I was living on junk like pudding,malts,yogurt,and mashed potatoes,and was eating vicoprofen like it was candy. My face swelled up like a balloon almost instantly after the teeth were pulled. I could barely even open my mouth at all,and to say I was in misery would be an understatement. This was as recent as 2010,too.

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm nearly 29 and I only HAVE one wisdom tooth, so maybe not that weird he's only having it out now.

I'm 27 and have all four, but haven't had them pulled. Maybe I should, but Clarky's comment here doesn't make to too keen on it, lol.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm 27 and have all four, but haven't had them pulled. Maybe I should, but Clarky's comment here doesn't make to too keen on it, lol.

if they're not causing you problems and your dentist doesn't think they are a problem,i would leave them.You're lucky if they are ok cos I guess most people do not have room and have to have them removed. I know if i get the other 3 my teeth will be messed up and i'll probably have to have the wisdom teeth out.I hope they never come through :lol:

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
if they're not causing you problems and your dentist doesn't think they are a problem,i would leave them.You're lucky if they are ok cos I guess most people do not have room and have to have them removed. I know if i get the other 3 my teeth will be messed up and i'll probably have to have the wisdom teeth out.I hope they never come through :lol:

Uhm, no, they're not ok I'm afraid :-?

I guess I will get to it eventually!

Towser83
07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Uhm, no, they're not ok I'm afraid :-?

I guess I will get to it eventually!

Oh ok, sorry to hear that :(

In that case you are probably better off getting to it sooner than later, but I'm no dental expert.

Hope if you do get them out, it goes ok. Some people have very little trouble and are not really in pain. Good luck!

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh ok, sorry to hear that :(

In that case you are probably better off getting to it sooner than later, but I'm no dental expert.

Hope if you do get them out, it goes ok. Some people have very little trouble and are not really in pain. Good luck!

Well Thanks :)

serengetisunset
07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Will the removal of wisdom teeth impact his ability to read hand signals from uncle Tony?

Rocky89
07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow,when I had just 2 of mine out I was miserable for a week,and still had soreness and tenderness in my jaw/face for a month+. I was living on junk like pudding,malts,yogurt,and mashed potatoes,and was eating vicoprofen like it was candy. My face swelled up like a balloon almost instantly after the teeth were pulled. I could barely even open my mouth at all,and to say I was in misery would be an understatement. This was as recent as 2010,too.

Yep sounds similar to me. Had all 4 taken out last year and was in pain all week. The worst part was not being able to open my jaw, it hurt so much to eat so I just survived off soup, liquid breakfast drinks and mashed potatoes.

I sure wasn't lounging by the pool the next day that's for sure :lol:

And Crisstti I agree with Towser83, it's better to get them out sooner rather than later. It's sucks the first week but you'll be so happy to get it out of the way and never have to think about it again. Also it's less scary if you go completely under, especially if you need stitches :)

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Yep sounds similar to me. Had all 4 taken out last year and was in pain all week. The worst part was not being able to open my jaw, it hurt so much to eat so I just survived off soup, liquid breakfast drinks and mashed potatoes.

I sure wasn't lounging by the pool the next day that's for sure :lol:

And Crisstti I agree with Towser83, it's better to get them out sooner rather than later. It's sucks the first week but you'll be so happy to get it out of the way and never have to think about it again. Also it's less scary if you go completely under, especially if you need stitches :)

Oh, that's what I want for sure. Not sure it gets done much that way though.

cc0509
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Really? I had a good friend who had the procedure done before me and her face blew up like a chipmunk and she had a lot of problems but for most people I know it was a breeze, including for myself. I guess there are a lot of different
factors involved such as how bad the widsom teeth were, how good the doctor was etc. etc., and each case is different.

cc0509
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Oh, that's what I want for sure. Not sure it gets done much that way though.

It does where I am from. They put you completely under.

zam88
07-03-2012, 05:55 PM

there's been no advancement in removing teeth in the last 10-15 years.

I'm a dentist

cc0509
07-03-2012, 06:00 PM
there's been no advancement in removing teeth in the last 10-15 years.

I'm a dentist

Really, so how come some people have so many problems from the procedure and for others it is like nothing? I guess it depends on how bad the wisdom teeth are and at what stage you have them removed, plus other factors such as how good the oral surgeon is, if there is some kind of allergic reaction to medication after, etc.etc.

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
The worst is getting a dry socket. Hurts a lot.

Hood_Man
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Is it really that common to have them taken out? I'm 24 and apart from the pain when they came through about 5 years ago I've never had any problems (aside from a frequently clicky/poppy jaw if that's related at all?).

Oh, and when I saw this come up on Facebook earlier, I immediately thought of this place :lol:

hisrob777
07-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Me too. I thought the Talk Tennis board would have fun with this.

MichaelNadal
07-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Is it really that common to have them taken out? I'm 24 and apart from the pain when they came through about 5 years ago I've never had any problems (aside from a frequently clicky/poppy jaw if that's related at all?).

Oh, and when I saw this come up on Facebook earlier, I immediately thought of this place :lol:

I didn't think mine were a problem either bc they grew in and never bothered me or hurt, I went to the dentist a couple months ago and they are causing me pain now and they said I need to get them taken out asap.

90's Clay
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
No excuses for Rafa.. He just made a crummy transition to grass this year and his pushing, grinding, moon balling, and floating shots shorts killed him this year

kragster
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow a thread on wisdom teeth perfect timing since I just got mine taken out z2 weeks ago :)First 2 days were a blur I was hopped up on pills lol. After that it's been not too bad although I couldn't eat hard food for a while.

Crisstti
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I didn't think mine were a problem either bc they grew in and never bothered me or hurt, I went to the dentist a couple months ago and they are causing me pain now and they said I need to get them taken out asap.

I never thought of having them taken out, despite the occasional pain... but now they're starting to push other teeth around :-?, so I will just have to do it I guess.

Hood_Man
07-03-2012, 08:37 PM

I had no idea, well I guess I'll be making an appointment soon then :-?

MichaelNadal
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I had no idea, well I guess I'll be making an appointment soon then :-?

Yeah im 26, I woke up with the worst, most sensitive toothache ever one day a few months ago, that's what made me go. They said it was bc of my wisdom teeth. It went away after 2 days, and i've forgotten about it, but I need to go get them removed bc I don't want to deal with any future complications from it.

Sentinel
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
LOL, I am doubling up with laughter reading your post, trying to imagine it.

Shouldn't you have been eating a lot of icecream and frozen/cold stuff to numb the pain and reduce the swelling.

zam88
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Really, so how come some people have so many problems from the procedure and for others it is like nothing? I guess it depends on how bad the wisdom teeth are and at what stage you have them removed, plus other factors such as how good the oral surgeon is, if there is some kind of allergic reaction to medication after, etc.etc.

yes, how impacted teh wisdom teeth are is a huge problem. how healthy the individual is is a huge factor (this is a huge plus for nadal), the quality of the surgeon can be a factor, but probably less of one than the condition of the teeth and health of the individual.

but i can tell you i've done hundreds of extractions over the years and some people just heal better than others... there is probably some genetics in play too.

SLD76
07-04-2012, 04:51 AM
a toothache?

really???

srinrajesh
07-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Rafa lost mainly because of the decision to play indoors and the 45 minute break in play. He had got all the momentum by wearing down Rosol and winning the fourth set 6-2, 4 consecutive games and ZERO unforced errors.

In sports momentum is a key factor. Nadal had just adjusted to the play of Rosol and leveled the match at 2 sets all. Most times this momentum is good enough to win the next set as well. But even though there was enough light to continue for around 30- 40 minutes, play was stopped and the roof was closed. The total momentum gained by winning the fourth set was lost. The match result was probably affected by this decision. Usually what happens is play continues till bad light stops and they resume next day. Shifting to indoors for only one set or less is a bit of lottery as the conditions are pretty different and the player whose style is suited to the surface adapts quicker and may win. So instead of the player who wins a 5 set match, the result is now dependent on the player who wins one set in "Alien" conditions. That's why it would have been fair to both players to either continue till bad light stops and then continue next day or stop at 2 sets each and play next day. This way the match is played in the same outdoor conditions for both players. This is what happened when rain stopped play at french Open and the final was resumed the next day. The roof is there only for 3 years and the organizers are still probably working on improving the guidelines. That's why they have to improve the rules to be absolutely fair to both players.
To be fair Nadal played poorly the first three sets and had put himself in a spot of bother but he had overcome that winning in 2010 beating Haase and Philipp Petzschner in 5 sets early in the first week..

Homeboy Hotel
07-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Nadal's Facebook...

I want to apologize to all, I suffer a tendinitis and I can't to play against Novak for Alma Nadal. I share with you my apologies, in particular to the fans that had already purchased a ticket to such a good cause.

Tennis_Hands
07-04-2012, 05:07 AM
I never thought of having them taken out, despite the occasional pain... but now they're starting to push other teeth around :-?, so I will just have to do it I guess.

By all means do it! If Rafa is doing something you should too. Even if it is picking his butt.

srinrajesh
07-04-2012, 05:14 AM
also Nadal was not really moving that well this year on grass or even at Halle.
At Halle it could be put down to being tired after the FO but here he had a week's break. Not sure though the knee tendinitis had something to do with that..don't remember seeing him slip and stumble so many times

Motivation also could be a factor .. He had just won one of his most emotional grand slams and was on a high. Maybe he didn't consider No. 100 Rosol a threat to him ..Also playing a player first time is tough for a top player regarding the player style etc.. For the underdog it is easier as he knows all about the top player. That said Rosol may well have played the match of his life and a freakish fifth set. ..