PDA

View Full Version : Late calls - DO NOT CHALLENGE!

floridatennisdude
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't know what goes through a players mind on a late call. It's like they believe that the line judge was taking a snooze and just flipped a coin to make their call. In this years Wimbledon, I have seen late calls get challenged at least a dozen times. Zero have been overturned on shot spot. Why do these players keep challenging just because the call is made a split second late?

If I were coaching a pro, I would tell them never to challenge a late call. What I have seen is the line judges taking the extra second to make a call so they GET IT RIGHT. They aren't out to screw a player over. They want to do a good job so they can keep getting put in the big matches. The lines people themselves would be screwed if they made bad calls. They are not taking their time to mess up!

woodrow1029
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't know what goes through a players mind on a late call. It's like they believe that the line judge was taking a snooze and just flipped a coin to make their call. In this years Wimbledon, I have seen late calls get challenged at least a dozen times. Zero have been overturned on shot spot. Why do these players keep challenging just because the call is made a split second late?

If I were coaching a pro, I would tell them never to challenge a late call. What I have seen is the line judges taking the extra second to make a call so they GET IT RIGHT. They aren't out to screw a player over. They want to do a good job so they can keep getting put in the big matches. The lines people themselves would be screwed if they made bad calls. They are not taking their time to mess up!

Being a line umpire is partially a "sales job" sort of. One of the most important things that we teach new line umpires (and one of the first things I was taught) is that you need to sell your call. Line umpires are correct a whole lot more than we are wrong; however, when a call is late, it doesn't really scream out confidence. Therefore, the player isn't "sold" on your call. Without Hawkeye, you see it too. Whenever there is a late call, the players just don't believe it. I can't say I blame them.

You are right. Usually when a call is a split second late, it is either on a VERY tight call and we are just taking an extra split second to process what we saw. The other time you usually see late calls is the center service line umpire trying to dodge a ball, and not making the call very timely.

dominikk1985
07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
while I think that linemen should try to make most if their calls quickly (because it also saved the players some extra runs and stretches) I think it's OK for linesmen to take an extra second if they are not sure.

I think better late then wrong. of course there is also the other theory who says to make a decision quickly and stand by it because a lot of times intiution is right and if not this will equal out on both sides.

as long you are consistent both works OK. I think a few blown calls don't ruin a match and this approach can give you more authority.

I however prefer right calls and think it's OK when in a few occasions this takes longer.

A delayed call is not worse then an immediate however it shows one thing to the player:

-the ball was close and the ump had to think a moment. this makes the chance of a missed call higher. nobody will call late if the ball is 3 inches out. so challenging then is not the worst idea I think.

floridatennisdude
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
^^^totally disagree with your last paragraph. I have yet to see one of these calls get overturned. It has proved to be a waste of a challenge to do it at this years Wimbledon. It is especially comical when the call is late and the point winner has already stuck up his/her hand to challenge, then the call is made in their favor, and the losing player feels obligated to challenge. They are betting that the line person, opponent, and chair all all wrong...it just isn't likely!

woodrow1029
07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
^^^totally disagree with your last paragraph. I have yet to see one of these calls get overturned. It has proved to be a waste of a challenge to do it at this years Wimbledon. It is especially comical when the call is late and the point winner has already stuck up his/her hand to challenge, then the call is made in their favor, and the losing player feels obligated to challenge. They are betting that the line person, opponent, and chair all all wrong...it just isn't likely!

It is possible though. I know that as a chair umpire, a lot of times on a close call I get nervous if the line umpire is late on one I am not 100% sure on. Doesnt' mean I will step in and overrule because it's late, but like I said before, if you don't sell it well, nobody is going to believe you, even if you are 100% correct.

floridatennisdude
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Anything is possible. It just hasn't proven to be statistically likely. That is my point...if you only have 3 challenges, don't waste one on an unlikely outcome. It nearly bit Azarenka in the arse today when she blew her last challenge on this scenario.