PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2012 - Does it again!

Djokodal Fan
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
US open released their tournament schedule

Link:

http://www.usopen.org/schedule/2012_tournament_schedule/?intloc=headernavsub

Needless to say, They have the Stupid 'super Saturday' which has men's semis followed by finals on Sunday.

Imagine the amount of toll it would take on Top athletes when they complete their semis late saturday and no time to recover for Sunday Finals.

Absolutely bad schedule. Can they not have mercy on Athletes and how is it even remotely possible to play back to back best of five at that level?

**** poor schedule and organization!

zacinnc78
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
agreed but what can we do about it?

drakulie
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
how is it even remotely possible to play back to back best of five at that level?

Yes, because all the past Sunday finals that were completed are just in our imagination.

Towser83
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
might as well just put the final as officially on monday :lol:

MG1
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Fed won 5 USO with same schedule and most(all?) of the times he played second SF so it is doable.

Though i agree with OP that they should get rid of that.

OldFedIsOld
07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Did they finally wise up and at least buy a roof to install in Armstrong and Ashe? If they did then I can let this awful scheduling slide.

jaggy
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Television rules

brickner_damage
07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Ashe Stadium apparently has swamp land beneath the surface and will risk collapse if a roof is installed (as the roof is said to be hundreds of tonnes).

And they won't install a roof on Armstrong Stadium because if they shift the men's final to Armstrong Stadium there will be a large number of ticket buyers left without a seat.

jaggy
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
It may have been mentioned in passing but you could always, i dont know, let me thing.

Move it to Cincy, ftw

Sid_Vicious
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I really hope that there is a sunday final this year. The monday finals are getting old.

Mustard
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
There's been 4 consecutive Monday finals at the US Open.

martini1
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Coz in Monday they have Monday night football??

Djokodal Fan
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I really hope that there is a sunday final this year. The monday finals are getting old.

+ I cannot really take off on Monday. Its close to impossible in my office.

I hope they complete it on Sunday!

NLBwell
07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Television rules

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They will get a roof when the television networks decide that they will pay enough more money to cover the cost of a roof. If the networks decide they get higher enough ratnigs when showing actual matches over showing rain delays, the income differential to the USTA will make it imperitive they get a roof.

Mustard
07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Ashe Stadium apparently has swamp land beneath the surface and will risk collapse if a roof is installed (as the roof is said to be hundreds of tonnes).

As if they could build a roof on the monstrosity known as Arthur Ashe Stadium. Even forgetting the swamp land, it's just way too big anyway.

brickner_damage
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
As if they could build a roof on the monstrosity known as Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Yeah if they did, they would need to eliminate a lot of the stands. And if the roof is still too heavy (for the swamp land problem) then maybe they should just build a new center court with a nice roof so Ashe Stadium no longer is the top dog..

Mustard
07-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah if they did, they would need to eliminate a lot of the stands. And if the roof is still too heavy (for the swamp land problem) then maybe they should just build a new center court with a nice roof so Ashe Stadium no longer is the top dog..

I believe the upper stand on Arthur Ashe stadium used to be on Louis Armstrong stadium from 1978-1996, or the USTA National Tennis Center (as Louis Armstrong stadium was known as back then).

brickner_damage
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I believe the upper stand on Arthur Ashe stadium used to be on Louis Armstrong stadium from 1978-1996, or the USTA National Tennis Center (as Louis Armstrong stadium was known as back then).

Good, good that it is interchangeable.

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Believe it or not, Nadal's constant annoying complaints might be helpful here...

"I won't play US Open if it goes 3 weeks!"

kishnabe
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
US open released their tournament schedule

Link:

http://www.usopen.org/schedule/2012_tournament_schedule/?intloc=headernavsub

Needless to say, They have the Stupid 'super Saturday' which has men's semis followed by finals on Sunday.

Imagine the amount of toll it would take on Top athletes when they complete their semis late saturday and no time to recover for Sunday Finals.

Absolutely bad schedule. Can they not have mercy on Athletes and how is it even remotely possible to play back to back best of five at that level?

**** poor schedule and organization!

Why can't they copy Wimbledon?

kishnabe
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
+ I cannot really take off on Monday. Its close to impossible in my office.

I hope they complete it on Sunday!

Well if it is Federer Murray US Open final. You won't need to watch on Monday right :twisted:

Djokodal Fan
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Well if it is Federer Murray US Open final. You won't need to watch on Monday right :twisted:

Ha ha :)

Why would I? Only if Nadal or Djoko plays!

TennisLovaLova
07-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I know it's independance day in the us today, so I'm not gonna disrespect them or anything...
but this is classic BS from US tv and us open organization
tennis is still a minor sport in the us