PDA

View Full Version : ABC Carrying Wimbledon Finals !

RNEast
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I saw a thread somewhere where people were talking about not getting to see Wimbledon this year due to it being on ESPN. For those of us who only get over-the-air reception, we are in luck! ABC is airing the women's final on Saturday and men's final on Sunday. According to TVGuide, it is 2pm central time. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you ABC, for doing something cool to save the rest of us. Plus, I must say their 3 hours of coverage on last Sunday was an amazing and interesting departure from what we've gotten on NBC for the past 30 years.

stringertom
07-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I saw a thread somewhere where people were talking about not getting to see Wimbledon this year due to it being on ESPN. For those of us who only get over-the-air reception, we are in luck! ABC is airing the women's final on Saturday and men's final on Sunday. According to TVGuide, it is 2pm central time. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you ABC, for doing something cool to save the rest of us. Plus, I must say their 3 hours of coverage on last Sunday was an amazing and interesting departure from what we've gotten on NBC for the past 30 years.

3pm EDT/2pm CDT means it's on tape delay, which is a step back in time not an improvement. ABC and Wimbledon are blockheads for not showing the finals LIVE on free over-the-air channels. They do it every year for the NBA and that can be as many as seven blocks of primetime preemption. This is two meager morning time slots when no one is watching TV.

jamesblakefan#1
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
3pm EDT/2pm CDT means it's on tape delay, which is a step back in time not an improvement. ABC and Wimbledon are blockheads for not showing the finals LIVE on free over-the-air channels. They do it every year for the NBA and that can be as many as seven blocks of primetime preemption. This is two meager morning time slots when no one is watching TV.

In this day and age, who doesn't have cable, know someone that does have cable, or have a stable internet connection with access to ESPN3 or other streaming sites? I get that it sucks for the minority of people that don't have cable, but it's the tradeoff for the excellent (with a few exceptions) coverage ESPN provides throughout the tourney. Never before has there been access to 2 different courts of TV coverage at the same time for US viewers, and ESPN has provided that. And of course no more NBC tape delay debacles. It's a fair tradeoff if ESPN wants to keep the finals on their own channel IMO.

And chances are that the people that don't have access to one of these 3 things (cable, internet, or someone who has them) won't have access to possible spoilers about the results either.

stringertom
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
ESPN has done a great job...they do it right for the NBA and then let everyone watch on their parent sidekick ABC when the Finals come around. Do you have a problem with that handoff? Why not the same for Wimbledon? Are you saying it would be too difficult for viewers to switch from Channel 29 to 7 for two matches? I think most of us would be able to master that minor adjustment.

As to the other methods of tuning in...I have a perfectly fine LCD HDTV with an external antenna that picks up all I need to stay in touch with the world on a daily basis for absolutely no charge. That's $1,200 less than what I would pay to overcome Wimby/ESPN's cheesy move to limit access to the cable audience. That's my choice and my priorities are not to be chairbound long enough to justify a four-digit per annum "extra". If you have a problem with that, then you're just a bit too judgemental for my taste. I'll hang on til the MS1000's and the USO are broadcast peoples-style for FREE!

millicurie999
07-04-2012, 01:41 AM
ESPN is great with their online coverage. I am watchIng Rinaldi/Austin vs Novotna/Navratilova now:). The only thing I wish they would do is not show the progress bar (bottom of the screen) on replay match. It's basically a spolier since it is quite easy to see how much longer a match will last.

marc45
07-04-2012, 02:30 AM

just be careful to not to see the scores rn...also be aware they'll edit out portions if it's running long...enjoy

jamesblakefan#1
07-04-2012, 07:11 AM
ESPN has done a great job...they do it right for the NBA and then let everyone watch on their parent sidekick ABC when the Finals come around. Do you have a problem with that handoff? Why not the same for Wimbledon? Are you saying it would be too difficult for viewers to switch from Channel 29 to 7 for two matches? I think most of us would be able to master that minor adjustment.

As to the other methods of tuning in...I have a perfectly fine LCD HDTV with an external antenna that picks up all I need to stay in touch with the world on a daily basis for absolutely no charge. That's $1,200 less than what I would pay to overcome Wimby/ESPN's cheesy move to limit access to the cable audience. That's my choice and my priorities are not to be chairbound long enough to justify a four-digit per annum "extra". If you have a problem with that, then you're just a bit too judgemental for my taste. I'll hang on til the MS1000's and the USO are broadcast peoples-style for FREE!

Well for you specifically, obviously you have internet access since you're posting on this forum. And I'm guessing you have a provider that has ESPN3, which will be broadcasting the finals live. If not there are other streaming sites. That's the way it is. The CFB national championship also no longer is on over the air TV, and there hasn't been any huge backlash about that.

R_Federer
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
At least NBC used to show the finals live.

Tsonga#1fan
07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I miss that NBC Wimbledon theme music......that's all I miss about their coverage and now that that wind-bag Mary Carillo is gone ESPN is great!

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I miss that NBC Wimbledon theme music......that's all I miss about their coverage and now that that wind-bag Mary Carillo is gone ESPN is great!

Nothing compared to NBC's NBA theme music. That ***** was epic. It was the perfect song leading up to Chicago Bulls' introductory song.

"From... NORTH CAROLINAAAAAA, AT Guard, 6'6, MICHAEEEELLLLLLLL JOOOOOOOOOOOOORDAN!"

CCNM
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the Wimbledon on NBC theme was nice. So was that British lady who would open the late-night highlight show-she had the prettiest voice: "could our Tim (Henman)take out the mighty Yank Sampras"

BTW was NBC the one that used the John Tesh song for the NBA?

Ginger ninja
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Do yourself a favor and watch it on espn go. You get the Brit commentary, that is a different league from the crap that espn/abc serves up. Boris Becker is outstanding.

GS
07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Looks like ABC might only show the highlights of the 2 finals this Saturday and Sunday. If you don't have cable like me, expect to be disappointed.
I'll have to buy a dvd of the mens final next week.

Moose Malloy
07-08-2012, 07:20 PM
wow, ABC really edited the crap of both finals(& the women's final could have easily fit into a 3 hour timeslot, but they couldn't lose all the in studio stuff I guess)

cork_screw
07-08-2012, 08:31 PM
ABC sucks. NBC is awesome.

West Coast Ace
07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I miss that NBC Wimbledon theme music......that's all I miss about their coverage and now that that wind-bag Mary Carillo is gone ESPN is great!+1. Hopefully Big Bird Shriver gets the heave-ho next...