PDA

View Full Version : Who hits a heavier ball: Lukas Rosol or Delpo?

sandiegoman
07-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Just wondering who hits the heaviest ball on tour?

firepanda
07-04-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm not entirely certain what 'heavy' actually means, but I believe a heavy ball has pace and spin. They both hit quite flat, but I've seen JMDP hit a few loopier balls, from memory. As for pace, I can't say.

Loose Cannon
07-04-2012, 12:24 AM
nobody more so than Rosol that day vs Nadal

I think feds smears the ball, too

gold soundz
07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
I've never seen anyone hit harden than some of Del Potro's shots in the USO 09 final. Rosol that day against Nadal didn't come close.

Fedex
07-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Just wondering who hits the heaviest ball on tour?

Rosol cracks the ball. Del Potro pounds it.
Del Potro hits the heavier ball.
If you think of this in terms of physics, momentum = mass x velocity.

Rosol has more racket speed (velocity) and less weight.

Del Potro adds more weight or mass behind the ball.

Here's an example of an analogy to describe a heavy ball.
If you're closing the car door and give it a shove and it doesn't close properly but then if you're carrying a bag of messages and give it an equal shove with the same velocity, you'll find the door closes because you have more momentum due to the extra mass behind your shove.

TheNatural
07-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Rosol took the ball a lot earlier when he played Nadal than Delpo did when he played Ferrer, thus Rosol's ball got from A to B a lot earlier.

War, Safin!
07-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Rosol cracks the ball. Del Potro pounds it.
Del Potro hits the heavier ball.
If you think of this in terms of physics, momentum = mass x velocity.

Rosol has more racket speed (velocity) and less weight.

Del Potro adds more weight or mass behind the ball.

Here's an example of an analogy to describe a heavy ball.
If you're closing the car door and give it a shove and it doesn't close properly but then if you're carrying a bag of messages and give it an equal shove with the same velocity, you'll find the door closes because you have more momentum due to the extra mass behind your shove.http://star.walagata.com/w/blue-jay/SmiliesGifs/ScratchHead.gif

brickner_damage
07-04-2012, 02:47 AM
I've never seen anyone hit harden than some of Del Potro's shots in the USO 09 final. Rosol that day against Nadal didn't come close.

Rosol reached 99mph.

Fedex
07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
http://star.walagata.com/w/blue-jay/SmiliesGifs/ScratchHead.gif

What don't you understand?

SystemicAnomaly
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
^ The puzzling phrase was highlighted.

I believe that DelPo hits with more spin on his shots overall. For the same forward velocity, the one with greater spin is the heavier ball. Heaviness is usually related to total momentum (linear & rotational) or total kinetic energy (linear & rotational).

tistrapukcipeht
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Rosol's back hand is the biggest I have ever seen, I never saw somebody hit such winners against Nadal, He can hit winners of that side in a way people can't even react even being in the middle of the court.

mcenroefan
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
A struck ball has two primary elements to consider: speed and spin. All of the tall guys tend to hit with high MPH when they choose to do so (presumably because their wingspan gives them the ability to produce enormous racket head speed).